Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

JW's Big Fat Challenge to YOU!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I threw out a number in JW's "win a t-shirt" thread that was way, way off (lesson learned - never bet against JW). Although I did not promise a donation to ReserveAid to back my prediction, I just made the donation as penance for my prediction. Awesome cause and charity (in this Marine's opinion), and awesome performance by JW!
  • Options

Posted By Steve West on 02 Sep 2015 11:01 AM

JW - I'm in!!

I'll bet $50 for each of the following:

If you beat my 6:18 bike at IMLP this year  >> JW @ 6:06 = $50

If you beat my 4:18 run at IMLP this year    >> JW @ 4:26 = $0

If you beat my 12:06 finish at IMLP this year.  >> JW @ 11:55 = $50

So, $150 to Reserve Aid is on the line and up for grabs and honestly, I hope you can pull it off!

Plus the other side bet guessing the delta between JW and Coach Rich, I guessed 1:28

Coach @ 5:14 & JW @ 6:06 = 0:51:57 >> More than 0:36 faster than guessed = $50

So, $150 to ReserveAid.  Well done John, very well done!

• Options

Never had any doubts about JW execution.

What a smart, fun and worthwhile idea!

$150.00 done!

Way to lead Ironman and congratulations!

SS

• Options

Well played, JW.  Still having a hard time fathoming a 6:06 on that thing, on that course. We better not come to learn that you Julie'd one of the laps. 

Posted By Mike Roberts on 01 Sep 2015 07:53 PM

You go 6:15:00 or faster on that full bike course on a fat bike, $100 goes to the charity of your choice. And the charity cannot be the Roberts Shaves His Head While Pounding Nine Beers Foundation. 
    I like to think of this wager as the first stupid bet that helped convince many others to make equally ill-conceived bets.  $100 it is.

Posted By Mike Roberts on 09 Sep 2015 11:32 AM 1:33.  If you finish the first lap of the run before Rich, Matt, Peter or Jeremy finish, another $100 to RA.  Any one of those four laps you, no dough.  Another stupid wager.  But Jeremy did come pretty close.  If you would have crashed again or signed a few more autographs, my boy’s truck driving school fund wouldn’t have taken this second hit.  Another $100.

• Options
    John - you did the entire team proud with your performance at Wisconsin!  I've added a $200 bonus for wrecking and still finishing under 12 hours.  $500 paid to Reserve Aid today.  Best wishes.  Paul
  • Options
    JW you truly are the new Superman !

I promised $100 to finish and $100 for a pint of Ben and Jerry's to be consumed within 2hrs of said finish....
    Blah blah blah 6hr bike split on a fat bike, but did you eat that ice cream?

$200 donated anyway ! That freaking performance was just off the charts my friend !
  • Options
    He posted on ST that he raised 25K.

That's a bigger story than his race day performance. JW may be a better dude than he is an athlete. I don't see how that's possible, though.

• Options
    http://reserveaid.org/get-involved/...wisconsin/

Click the Donate now button and fill in the bottom section of the pop-up. Select IM-Wisconsin in the drop down and type my name into the box.

Sorry I'm behind on feedback, but I'm trying to catch up on 3 days of missed work at my actual job. I'll summarize results here, but let me know if I missed something. THIS.TEAM.IS.AWESOME!!!!

I got 1,309 positive comments. Yes, I kept count. Was fun to keep track. I lumped all comments together, "Nice Bike", "Whoa Fat Bike", "You are an animal", etc. etc. etc. I was probably +/- 50 from the real number as it was really hard to keep track with the mass chaos of screaming and crowd eruption every time I went up each of the 3 big hills.

6:06:xx bike split.
    4:26:xx run
    11:55:48 OA
    78/352 M40-44 (22%)
    468/2,580 OA (18%)

I did NOT have a sherpa for the end of the race, so couldn't find the Ben & Jerry's in time. But because you all know how little Recreational Sugar I eat, I went for the goodwill effort and ate a pint of B&J I found at a gas station (chocolate chip cookie dough) as we were leaving Madison. It made me just as sick the next morning as it probably would have made me the night before. I have a picture of the empty container to prove it. Hope that was good enough.

These were bets outside of EN, but I also did 50 push-ups within 2 hrs of finishing (that really hurt) and drank a bottke of Fat Tire beer (and 2 more bottles of Sam Adams that weren't part of any bet).

I did not wear a Pink Speedo to bike check-in as I was too focused on getting my bike checked in and not disqualified before I even started. The volunteers taking photos of the bike stopped the line for a few minutes and all came over and gawked over my bike. They loved it and thought I was crazy! they were high-fiving me which was way better than telling me my bike was illegal!

I believe I could have broken 6 hrs if I didn't wreck and actually had a bike computer to know how close I was *sigh*... My max power was 800W. My max 20 min AVG power was 243W. My NP for the entire ride was 224W and that includes ~4 mins of "stopped" time within the first 12 mins of my ride (5W higher than my 5:21 effort at IMMT last yr). And for the record, it did hurt me on the run (Surprise - with ~337 TSS points on the bike), but out of 8 Ironmans, this IMMoo run was my 3rd fastest IM run split, so I'm still pretty happy with the result. And I beat my 2011 IMLou overall time by ~30 seconds. Finished Top 18% overall...

#BestTeamEver
  • Options
    My $50 as promised for the sub 6:30. Was the most fun I've ever had following a race online. Well done, sir; you are an inspiration.
  • Options

Posted By Ian Kurth on 09 Sep 2015 02:04 PM

#StupidWithrowTricks:

$50 for starting

$50 for pink speedo bike check in

$50 if you make the bike cut-off

$50 if you bike less than 6:30

$50 if you run less than 4:00

$50 for sub 12:00 finish

Good luck!

#StupidWithrowTricks

$50 for starting 

$50 for pink speedo bike check in 

$50 if you make the bike cut-off 

$50 if you bike less than 6:30 

$50 if you run less than 4:00 

$50 for sub 12:00 finish 

I tally $200 to Reserve Aid.  Donated tonight.

Good on you JW, Good on you!!

• Options
    I just want to say that I am overwhelmed by the generosity of this team! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I certainly had a lot of fun with this.

Don't bet against JW, unless of course it's for a good cause...
  • Options
    Better late than sorry....just donated $375 to ReserveAid for your accomplishment.
    Didn't hear if anyone slapped you on the ass after they passed you, with a bonus if it was an EN teammate, but I just assumed someone did!
    Hope your recovery is going well.
  • Options
    Sorry Bob. Many many slaps on the ass and at least 2 were from EN'ers...

Recovery is going great, I've been logging a ton of run elevation (for Minnesota anyways). Trying to get ready for my R2R2R run in less than 3 weeks...