Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo Thread- Week 16, 7-13 Sept

Another week closer, it's getting real now.  5 weeks to go, let's keep that mojo coming!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Jay for picking up my slack last week. I was reading the emails, but focusing on a few days of work and some other days spending precious time with the family. Orlando was great, I got a few runs and swim cord sessions in, but had the best time at Sea World, Disney's Typhoon Water Park (because I just can't go a weekend without a typhoon), and Down Town Disney. Just arrived back into Okinawa and have one more day off, so I'll see what the legs feel like tomorrow.

Keep on the gas everyone and more importantly, keep those posts coming
  • Options
    @ Roy - sounds like a great vacation ... even at the Mouse House.

Today - I was incredibly fortunate to wake up to full cloud coverage and light rain which persisted for my entire 13 mile run. The temperature stayed around 77 degrees elsewise I would never had made it. Still - my quads were so sore, and it felt like running with cement blocks. It is the running more than anything else that is so hard as the years pile on. I'm not quite sure why that is, but I intend to hang on until at least age 66 before I re-assess my sanity and physical condition.
  • Options
    We missed you Roy! Glad you had a great time in Orlando with the family!!! Yikes, 5 weeks! After this weekends workload, I feel like I've already done an Ironman...so tired and sore image

Finished up camp weekend this morning with a 16mile run. It was relatively cool at 7:45 when I left the house, but the good ole humidity and hot sun had it's way with me as I approached mile 11. Got 7 miles in @~9/mile, then 6@~8:30...the final 3 my legs were done and barely crawled home at a 9ish pace(not the final kick I was hoping to have).

I can't begin to tell you all how excited I am to have completed this weekend...aside from completing 2 ironman races, this weekend has been the toughest(personal) physical challenge to date. Thanks for all of the mojo and support. You all are the best!
  • Options

OK< done with that weekend. phew.  

Great job everyone.  Welcome back Roy.   Danielle you rocked it this weekend.  Jay,  I'm impressed with how you managed your work schedule.  We are going to have a great showing out there.  And...I'm praying for nice cool fall weather.  All this hot weather training will make it seem easy right?

That run was the hardest run I've had in quite a while.   I normally can run 9 - 9:30 pace with no sweat.  Today that was not the case.  Hard to hold on to a 10 minute pace the whole time.  The humidity and heat didn't help, but it was a little cooler than yesterday's ride in the 90s.

Two bike rides and a brick and the long run done.  Here are some additional things I learned about my body.  Chaffing and Foot pressure pain.  Ouch.  Chaffing in private places I have not experienced before even with plenty of 2TOMS buttshield.   Ouch my feet... were killing me.  At one point I took them out of the shoes to give them a break.  All this stuff manifested on day 2.  Day 1 went great.   So let's talk HR and Power.  I could not maintain the @200 NP for my second ride.  More like 170.  It was a little hotter and windier.  The thing is my HR was in the Low 30s on the first ride, and barely got out of the teens and low 20s during the second ride and I was much more tired.  Then there is the run today.  My legs felt like those concrete blocks Paul mentioned, and my heart rate was way up there in the 130s and then 140s by the end of my 14 miles.  Not sure why I couldn't keep the hr  down on the run, and couldn't get it higher on the bike.  Weird.   OVerall, though, I am glad I finished the weekend, and hope that the magic will pay off.

Thanks for all the well wishers on Strava.  It motivates me.

My heart rate was acting really weird this weekend.

• Options
    @ Danielle - Great job this weekend! I think you are going to out split me easily on the swim and run. I hope I can get a little time on you on the bike to make it interesting.
  • Options
    Nice work all! Solid camp weekend. Going to be taking a wrecking crew to Louisville this year!

Ended up sleeping in today, then got 3k worth of LCM at the pool (the one I can hit with a rock from my room is now closed for the season, sadnesss) and 7.5 miles in this evening with 2x 0.5 and 1x1 at TP. Looking to get a good two week's worth of training in before the next business trip. One workout at time image
  • Options
    Well, Camp Week is finally over. Rode a local century yesterday. Today is a rest day. Will get back at it tomorrow with some running and probably do a split run this week trying to avoid injury after 40 miles last week.

Stephan - I have the same problem with my feet occasionally when I ride. I also take my feet out of the shoes when it happens to give them a rest. Not sure what it is and it can be either foot. Nothing that's gonna slow us down though.

Good luck this week. Glad to see everyone getting ready.
  • Options

Thanks Paul!  If we can manage to cross that finish around the same time, I would say race well done!  

• Options

I have so enjoyed this day off.  Took my bike to the LBS and am having some of my components replaced, cassette, deralers, chain, cleats, pads,

I guess I like to spend money when I'm not training.

I also forked over a few hundred bucks signing up for IMWI next year,  Sept 11 2016..  Whoot.  This weekend I decided to drive up to Madison and do my long ride on the course Saturday, and the ABP ride within the loops of the IMWI stopping from time to time to watch racers.

Tomorrow, I need to get back in the pool.

Slept poorly last night unfortunately.   Thought the fatigue would help me sleep better.  Sore muscles today.

• Options
    @ Stephan - now you know why I switched bikes on Sunday's ride. A different seat makes a big difference when riding that much. I never had foot pain though...you might try taking some calcium/magnesium tabs if your foot was burning as opposed to just sore from pressure. Congrats on signing up for IMMOO next year. I can't decide until my schedule becomes clear later this fall, but will probably do either IM Germany or IM Switzerland.

Training - I napped like a dead man yesterday. Then slept in this morning. It hurt to roll over at times, but otherwise I was zonked. Tonight I swam 2000 yards and jumped on the trainer for 10 miles of Spinervals "Active Recovery" - the easiest ride in the competition series. I feel much better now.

• Options
    Congrats on the lotto win Stephen! Guess that email finally came through.

1:20 on the bike today at lunch... wait for it... OUTSIDE! Going to try to stay outside as much as possible now until race day. Felt really good and got the allotted time in, if not the exact intervals assigned. Had to break it up slightly due to traffic and terrain. 2x18 turned into 15/10/12. Swam 2k LCM after work.

Keep on it everyone! Recover well from that camp weekend.
  • Options
    I took yesterday off. Completely. Nothing but work. Ate like crap. Felt like a slug. So glad today is here. Ran 9 miles this morning with my usual Wednesday morning group. Legs felt tired and sore but made it through. Long day at work today so will run again tomorrow and try for around 12. Then FTP on bike. Humidity is still high here in NC. Hoping for a break soon.
  • Options
    PSA - Bibs #'s are up. 2165. Getting more and more real.

PSA 2 - If you haven't RSVP'ed for the dinner, please do in the race spreadsheet. I've never actually eaten at Ditto's but I have sent the question back to the wife and mother-in-law for reviews.
  • Options
    2904 for me.

What spreadsheet? I'll look under wiki.
  • Options

@Jay - I saw you found it, but for those that didn't, here is the link to the spreadsheet.

16 miles this morning in 2:35 executed exactly as I want to in the race.  2 miles on, 60 step walk break, repeat.  Water at each break, gels at every other break (i.e. 4/8/12, etc).  Focused on HR, low 130's for the trip out, low 140's for the trip back.  First legit long run of the year and I feel decent about it.  Weather also gave me a break with a temp of 77, 100% humidity, and ambient temperature of 84 degrees.  All in all, good way to start my Thursday.

Keep on it everyone!

• Options
    #2977 checking in. Thx Roy, I needed that. My mojo was pretty low getting up this morning. Louisville will make 5 long course races for me this year...the very edge of my envelope. Next year I will do just one to recharge before another full court press in 2017.

Wed AM - 4200 yards swim, felt strong but probably looked slow.
    Wed PM - 7 mile run. It's still incredibly warm and humid, but the worst is behind now. About 6 more weeks of summer to go.

I'm switching workouts between Thu and Sun. Another long run on Thursday just 3 days after one on Monday is counterproductive in my book. It is also a recipe for injury...especially for me. Bookmarking the week with long runs is this week's hack.
  • Options
    Punted one in the stands today as a parent. Email conversation happened something like this:

Me: Hey, have you ever eaten at Ditto's?
    Wife: Yes.
    Me: How was it?
    Wife: It was a couple of years ago, I remember it being pretty good. Want me to ask around?
    Me: Yeah, but its not a huge priority. That's where EN is having the team dinner, Thursday evening of the first week I'm home.
    Wife: You mean the same Thursday that I specifically scheduled your daughter's birthday party for so you could attend.
    Me: .... Yeeeeaaaaah..... so I'm canceling our dinner reservations, can't wait for the Birthday party. I love you. Where is the closest Tiffany's?

Yes, that just happened.
  • Options

Great story Roy, gotta love it!

2955 here!  Been lurking, but MIA, as I am doing IMWI this weekend!  Felt I was 3-4 weeks ahead on the training schedule and therefore it wouldn't be appropriate for me to share!  This group participation is great, its been awesome to watch you all progress and share!  Looking forward to IMLOU and meeting you all!  Keep up the good work!

• Options

I'm switching workouts between Thu and Sun. Another long run on Thursday just 3 days after one on Monday is counterproductive in my book. It is also a recipe for injury...especially for me. Bookmarking the week with long runs is this week's hack.

Paul, I'm feeling nervous about doing my long run today.  What you wrote makes sense to me.  I think I will stick with the plan but keep it close to home with small loops and back off if I start feeling some problems coming on.  I will be going to Madison this weekend and hope to do two days of riding,  Saturday on the actual IMWI course, and then Sunday around the course popping in from time to time for brief segments against traffic to watch the racers.  Almost a reverse bandit but not really.  I will stay out of the way. Tempted though to do it as a run and bike tonight.  

• Options
    Nice work everyone. I have had some ups and downs this week. Trying to get a release out the door. Lots of travel next two weeks. Had to change plans a bit and will do a long run on Sunday. Next week is the Reach the Beach relay.not great timing but it is our ninth year doing this. So will miss some days of training. But will have a ton of fun.
  • Options
    @ Roy - Smart man!
    @ Alan - Good luck this weekend. I assume Wisconsin is the A race and Louisville the B race. Please start posting your workouts next week. I would love to read about how you recover and then spin up for another in just 4 weeks. That will be quite a feat!
    @ Stephan - I will be 58 next month so I have to be careful. Years ago I wouldn't have flinched over something like that. If it doesn't bother you then I wouldn't worry about it.

Today:
    AM - 3hrs 27mins on the trainer using the Spinervals Louisville DVD. I like the commentary...similar to Arizona...with lots of smart execution talk. I now have a good idea of what to expect - no serious climbs, but endless rollers that can do damage if you spike your watts again and again.
    PM- slow 4.15 mile jog
  • Options

@Alan  good to hear from you and good luck Sunday. I live in Wisconsin and the weather is absolutely gorgeous fall weather right now.  You guys are lucky it wasn't last weekend's weather when we had camp week on this thread.  Hopefully, that heat training will pay off for me  OCT 11.  I like Paul would also like to follow how you handle the recovery and weeks between these races.  Stay healthy.   Is there a place on the bike route of IMWI where EN folk will be?  I want to meet some people I have started to get to know as a newby online.

@Roy, bummed you will miss the dinner.  I assume I will get to meet you at some other time.  Maybe after you have cleaned up and rested at the end of the race and come back to cheer me over the finish.

@Anu, good luck at your upcoming reach the beach fun run.  I was just talking with my friend who recently dropped out of the IMLOU race because of a foot injury that this part of training doesn't seem fun anymore and I am jealous of all the fall fun runs and activities with friends that I am missing out on. She is actually enjoying this time now that she doesn't have to train.   Seems like life right now is trying to sleep, work, remembering to say hi to my wife and kids, and hitting the pavement.  I'm looking forward to weeks when I can train for 6 to 10 hours.  I don't understand the psychology of why I like doing this type of racing when I whine all the time about the volume.

@Paul,  I'm almost getting paranoid about hurting myself.  I just turned 50 and can tell my body needs rest.  Active recovery doesn't seem to do it for me.  Whole days off are better with some lawn mowing or walking or something.  I was concerned already about the mileage being increased so rapidly.  I have a history of muscle strains and my hips, knees, IT Band, feet all start going bonkers when I run over 13 miles. That being said, I have had the best summer so far with little if any major issues with my body other than normal aches and pains, and the chaffing we talked about.   I want to keep it that way.

I did end up doing the long run,  got in 15 miles at a pace I would be delighted at for the race itself AVG9:35.  That seems really slow to me after the faster running I was doing earlier this year.   My legs do still feel tired and heavy and I'm fine with not putting in those hard pushes at the end that our plan calls for going into zone 2 and 3 for the last hour.  For long runs, I'm sticking with slow and steady and trying to keep my form consistent and avoid injury.   

#528 over and out

• Options
    @Alan-Welcome to the thread. Good luck this weekend. Can't wait to see how you transition from IMMoo to IMLou. Maybe I'll learn something.
    @Anu - Have a great time this weekend. Remember this is supposed to be fun. I'm doing a sprint next weekend with my son and really looking forward to the break.
    @Danielle - Good luck this weekend. The way your training has been going you're gonna crush it.
    @Stephan - I am also paranoid about injury at this point. I'm noticing little things that ache more and don't want to push it at my age. That's why I'm doing so many split runs. It's a little more mileage but it gives my body a rest. I'm also noticing that our runs are a little slower than a few weeks ago and I attribute this to fatigue. I know it will be there on Game Day.
    @Paul - Nice new bike. Look forward to seeing more.
    @Jennifer - Keep up the good work and keep posting.

As for me, I'm still tired and cranky. Really getting frustrated with the time commitment. However, I don't want to be coasting at the end of the bike or crawling at the end of the run. That's enough motivation for me. I split the long run this week into a 9 and 12 mile run on consecutive mornings. That seems to work well for me. (Of course, I've never done an IM so I hope it works for me.) Still struggling to get the swim volume in. It's getting closer.
  • Options
    And the beat goes on...

Friday AM - swim 4400 yards with NO TOYS. How I missed them.

Friday PM - 35 mins @ Snap Fitness, mowed the backyard, then ran 20 mins then 4 x 100 yards stride outs in the dark in front of my house. Gladys Kravitz was probably yelling to her husband that the crazy neighbor was running back and forth again.
  • Options

Jay, I'm with you on the time.  I am looking forward to driving to Madison tomorrow to change the scenery for my long bike, and to see a little of the IMWI action. You're doing great.  Just think, the top of the peak is almost there in a week or two and then it is taper time.

Paul, my workout was similar to yours but you outdid me slightly as usual.  I got in the 1 x 4200 swim but did use toys for warm up and cool down.  As a slow swimmer, that sure took me awhile. I wish I could swim like Jay.  I then went home and mowed the lawn for about 30 minutes... and that was it.  That was were it stopped.  After that it was Indian food with my awesome wife.

Oh, and I get to see my son tomorrow evening.   We're going out for dinner and then playing some Billiards together.  He is a senior at UW  Madison.   Hope the Badgers win tomorrow or things will be sad at UW.  I guess they got beat pretty bad last week.

• Options

Have you seen this,  awesome current video of the IMLOU 2015 course.  I haven't watched the whole thing but it has great quality with commentary and some other stats like grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYt3BGnzIU

• Options
    Stephan - haven't seen it before but will definitely watch it before the race.

Yesterday was a great training day. Today? Not so much. I got up at 6am and started the system check. Outside air temp = 79 degrees. Humidity = 94%. Mojo meter = 0. Back to bed for 30 more minutes. Got back up, OK, gotta do it no matter how I feel.

Run 4 miles. I thought I was running 30-45 secs a mile faster than I was. Ruh roh. Got the bike ready, would have rather gone back to bed, but started the long ride. Humidity was horrendous...sweating buckets...but knocking off the assigned work. From 57-60 miles my right foot was killing me. I pedaled a couple of miles with my foot on the shoe and that helped a little but stopped at 63 to lay on a picnic table for 5 minutes and rubbed my foot. Felt better. Stopped at a gas station at 73 miles and downed a liter of Dr Pepper. Refilled bottles with Gatorade, but was still behind on fluid. About 80 miles I could feel the inside muscles of thigh getting ready to cramp. If it happens I can't bike, I can't walk, I only want to die. I slugged 2 salt pills, got off and walked a 1/4 mile to see if that would help. Got on, road about a half mile and the other one was about to go. Another pill, another 1/4 mile walk. Called in a WARNORD to the Iron Frau (asked the wife to go on stand by for a possible pick-up). Got back on, and was OK. Work effort picked back up. Called the Iron Frau at 92 miles to cancel the WARNORD. Reached deep into the suitcase of courage and made 114 miles. Only 2 long rides left before the race!
  • Options
    Wow, what a week everyone. Looking over my totals for the week, I'm in shock that I am still able to move. From last Saturday until this evening I logged 11,200m of swimming, 239 miles of riding and 43 miles of running. I would say this is the biggest volume of triathlon training in one week for me...ever image It's simply amazing what our bodies can do!

Tomorrow I will ride the trainer for 5 hours. I was originally signed up to do a local Oly triathlon and decided on Thurs to back out and stay the course with training. I'm laser focused on having a good race in Lou and believe the focused 5 hr ride is more important to my goal then the race right now. I may regret it in the morning, but for now I'm staying the course. Decided to do a trainer ride vs outdoor tomorrow because I really want to focus on power and nutrition without all the obstacles of traffic, stops, other cyclists, etc. Leading up to my previous IMs I would do a few of these in prep for the race and I've yet to do one for Lou so tomorrow it is image.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Stay safe and healthy everyone!!!
  • Options
    Nice work everyone! Keep that motivation up for just a few more weeks.

Mixed bag for me this weekend. I've been feeling a bit off kilter late this week, I'm blaming jet lag and some mando vaccinations at work. I zeroed Friday, hit a flat 4 hours on the bike Saturday morning and 2k LCM in the afternoon. Then, I made a questionable decision to wake up at 0100 Sunday morning to watch the embarrassing Auburn / Jacksonville State football game (I hate early games here in Okinawa, jacks up my day). Then, I starting feeling extremely run down and ended up sleeping the rest of the day (like for 18+ hours). Don't know if my body was trying to tell me something or I was just off. Woke up this morning (Monday) at 0300 and am feeling better. Meh.

Keep that mojo coming everyone! Less than a month to go.
  • Options
    Well Week 16 is in the books. Had a nice little run in the heat and hills of my neighborhood on Friday afternoon. Saturday was a bust but I expected that. I got an hour on the trainer then had to volunteer at my son's OW swim. Today was supposed to be a 5 hour outdoor ride but no.... Rear brake started locking up every time I used it after mile 30. Packed it in at 49.XX and headed home. Then spent 2 hours on the trainer. Kept reminding myself that Danielle was doing all 5 hours on the trainer so this wasn't so bad. Overall a decent week and feeling pretty good heading into Week 17. 2 more weeks of this long stuff then rest. Really paying attention to aches and pains now 'cause I don't want to get hurt at this point. No pain, no gain, right?

Y'all keep it up.