Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Race Week Thread....

Now that I have seen multiple EN folks all over Kona training....and representing...I think we can kick off this thread.

Today's swim was interesting....to say the least. A bit of choppiness around the turn, and I lost feet again for part of the outbound trip, probably costing me a good minute. On the way back it was a battle but I felt more in control than usual....a big mental boost for me.

The bike was very interesting...thought I had a tailwind out but it felt like a tailwind back...especially at the end when it was blowing me down the road at 160 watts and 30+ mph. Never seen a North wind like that before...

How was your day on Sunday?

Comments

• Options

Hawi had a pretty significant side wind between MP 8 and 16 on the way up. Then, as the road turns into the wind, it seemed to die down a fair amount or at least became less gusty. My two main areas of focus today were: (1) maintain a rigid eating and drinking schedule. I think I will need to up my fluid intake just a bit based on that. And (2) practice driving negative thoughts out of my mind whenever the winds seemed to overpower me - meaning, whenever I was in fear for my life getting blown sideways 2 or 3 feet at a pop while going down hill (or even up hill a time or two) I would do mental jiu-jitsu, remembering I'm here to have fun with my fitness: this (really!) is how I have fun, and I AM fit. I am honoring my training self by reliving all the riding I've done this year, all the climbs in CA, WA, and CO since April.

As to the wind direction - every day, and every mile is different. I am working hard on trying to live within the wind, not fight it.

• Options

And for those who haven't seen it yet, I'm posting a daily series on Stations of The Kona Pilgrimage, over in the Race Selection and Reviews forum. Or you can link to my blog or FB page for the same thing.

• Options
    @Al really enjoying the "Stations" writing...please keep it going!

Great day seeing EN peeps and meeting new ones....Set a 1 min PR in the Swim and hit the QK for an hour ride with Juan and Teri.... Strong North wind was an understatement, riding out in 33 minutes and back in 20 minutes (albeit with 15 minutes of intensity)...

Was looking at the STRAVA PR's and Coach P's file was right below mine in the STRAVA feed... So I compared the PR's on both files... Not surprisingly Coach P was faster than I both but what was very surprising was my power was much higher (during my one 15 min push with intensity).... The Wind - So not only every day and every direction different but I would argue that it varies minute by minute as Coach P's segments below compared to mine were only about 1hr apart during the day..

Tim's Strava PR's and watts
    Kekaha Lavatube to airport PR (4:12) 201w
    KUA to KOA PR (8:52) 199w

Coach P's Strava PR's and watts
    Kekaha Lavatube to airport PR (4:08) 172w
    KUA to KOA PR (8:43) 164w

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the team as they roll into KONA!
  • Options
    @Al, great writing...thanks!!!

@Tim, my biggest surprise was mentally committing to riding 260 in Hawaii...for weeks. Then going out and riding 228 NP and going 23.3 mph. Even without the wind -- you can almost tell where it picked up on the return trip based on my PRs! -- it was still a fast ride.

I learned two important things:

1 - the wind is crazy here!

2 - If an Ironman® was a 2.4 mile swim with a 2 hour break, then only a 60 mile bike ride with favorable winds and no running, I'd be MUCH happier afterwards. image
  • Options

Here's another example of the impact of the friggin' wind. This AM, I did the Queen K, town (Makala/Queen K intersection) to 2 miles past the airport. Out = north, back = south. About 9 miles. Wind seemed fairly strong from the south.  Wind at the airport, where & when I was riding, reported @ S 15 mph.

Leg          Time     Speed    KJ        NP          AP       Cad    HR    Net elevation

Out           21:50      23.5    166     134         127      83      102    +85               Stopped for way more lights, so VI was high?

Back         33:19      15.8    247     125         124      82      104    -85

I think 'm learning how not not let it mess with my head: low VI, kept my HR up, didn't drop my cadence.

• Options
    Enjoy your weeks guys ! that must be an awesome experience =)
  • Options

Al, 

Love the blog.  Thanks for sharing!

Mike

• Options
    Today's swim felt really smooth...apparently the Sunday swim sucked, so I'll stick with mondays! Another crazy ride day today...sick tailwind out, but then the ride back into the wind was still fast for me given the watts / wind. Pretty pumped about that...

OutBound: 20.3 miles 26.8 mph 226 AP 128 AHR
    InBound: 20.5 miles 22.1 mph 259 AP 137 AHR
    Total Ride: 40.9 miles 24.2 mph 244 AP 133 AHR

Saw a lot of really fast EN runners out there crushing the end of the Energy Lab...so inspirational!
  • Options
    Yesterday- Quite possibly the roughest water swim I have experienced in Kailua Bay.... And then a few hours later and quite ironically had some of the friendliest conditions on the Hawi recon ride... It was windy and raining up top but NO GUSTS ....

Today.... agree with Coach P ... very nice smooth fast water for the swim in the bay.... Run in the ENERGY LAB was very brutal , car said 91 , garmin said 88 but feels like 98... I'd go with an even 100 with full sun exposure and NO WINDS on the up/down portion of the energy lab....

Went shopping this afternoon to pick up my New Rudy Wing 57 (can't resist the $100 KONA special).... What color you ask? Well Red and White of course !
  • Options

Ah, yes ... if race day were like today. Out on the Queen K, Waikoloa to Kawaihae, about as calm as it ever gets. I averaged 18.2 mph out and back at a pretty gentle pace. I've now done the entire course, in 4 or 5 segments. Add up the times of those rides, and I'd 100% satisfied with my race. My Ifs were pretty consistent @ 0.62, and I suspect that's where I'll be race day. My run times have been 9:30 miles, again going at what I consider race pace. But there, I'm probably looking @ 60-90 sec/mile slower. 

• Options

Swim this AM was entirely benign, putting me in a much better head space than Sunday. The real kick was encountering a pod of dolphins about 1000 meters from there pier the way back - first three, then a score a more, including some babies. They seemed to be enjoying all the attention from the swimmers, a few of whom attempted to dive down and go with them - not a chance!

Then I hit up the AWA Gold breakfast, where Welchie interviewed Paula N-F, Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & Crowie, followed by Messick and Bertsch, who pretty much repeated their words from the IronGents dinner the night before. Food was good and plentiful, as well as free. Rounded out my morning with registration. The guy behind me in line turned out to be my main competition for they fall's IM AZ. I got to tell him I was not racing, getting surgery instead. Probably made his day.

Tomorrow, Cheryl and I are headed out to Hawi to take in a ride in the newly restored irrigation ditches. These had been ruined in the 2006 earthquake, a week before my first IM here, negating my scheduled trip down the gentle flume and thru tunnels. After sputtering on and off back to life over the years, they finally re-opened in June this year under new management , so off we go.

• Options
    How windy was it today? Windy enough for me to take a top 10 segment on the QK , yep 9th out of 2334 , averaging 33.2mph for 8:08 @ 168watts which is my Ironman Pace... To validate the wind the number 2, 6, 7 placements on that segment were all set today!

After an easy swim to the coffee boat, a 1 hr ride, 4 mile run with Juan the Beast.... Heather and I went to Hawi for lunch.... I am so glad the race was not today... The car was buffeted pretty good all the way up and down...
  • Options
    Well, never felt a wind like today on the Queen K. Went out 45 min at 12.8 mph and back at 29.2 mph. For half the ride back I wasn't even pedaling because I ran out of gears and no not because it was downhill!
  • Options
    So today would have been a pretty good day for the race ... calm water @ 0700, not *lot* of wind from 8-10, then in the PM, a strong push home the last 30 miles? If only ...
  • Options
    Patti and I got caught in the wind during a late morning swim.   We saw Al at the swim start when he was leaving and we arrived. WoW!  What a different swim than Al described.   We had nice conditions on the way out and probably swam one buoy too far.  On the way back in the fierce wind and waves picked up right into our face.  Let's put it this way.  It took us 40 minutes to swim out, and one hour to swim back.  Yikes.  I hadn't really planned on a hard 100 minute swim 4 days before the race, but that's what we got!!