Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 IMLP Training WK June 21 - June 28

Week 16 Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!

Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? I loved reading about your plans and seeing some more posts in the forum!! KEEP IT UP!!!So this week has a few pretty important notes.

1. It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have another 4200 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine affect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that affect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50

25 meter pool site 1x per 25

OWS use judgement  

Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water

Have you read Mike Roberts swim forum post yet? I would encourage you to dive into that... its HERE in regards to your swim

Comments

• Options
    Checking in for the first time in a while. last week was a bust as I suffered an injury early in the week, ,not training related and apparently no effect on training, but body needed a rest. I did do an OLY on Saturday, got 5th out of 18 in AG, my anemic swim held me down, but had an awesome bike that clearly suggests my FTP is higher than my lifetime high test last week.

Working on executing high quality workouts, getting sleep & staying focused on the task at hand in less than 5 weeks. Have a strong weekend planned this coming weekend with an adventure Tri on Saturday (includes a 95 mile bike & solid OWS with a trail run to be detailed in my RR. Planning a big training weekend for July 4 and getting the final pull on this prep done right.
    2 swims in the last 2 days of 4000 & 4500 yards... coming into form..
  • Options
    How was everyone's camp week (for those who did it last week)? All recovered? I put a detailed camp weekend report in the race execution discussion forum as part of the first time finish gig, bit the short version is it went well and was great to train on the course. I was still nervous about all that biking since i still have healing road rash from my little skid out incident last week, but i took it a little easy on the descent into keene and all was ok. I also covered everything in tegaderm while swimming and took care to keep the deeper wounds clean--spent about $40 on tegaderm but it was worth it.
    Doing all that was a great confidence builder and i go into the last few week push with a lot of confidence built up that i can actually do this thing--already did the full swim, full bike, and about a 1/4 of the run in one day after all.

@scott--glad you're healing back up. I did a double take at your post last week talking about your injury. Hope nothing else happens on that front but great work nailing everything else. And 5th is nothing to sneeze at!!
  • Options
    @carole - sounds like you are healing up nicely... for anyone interested, I plan on doing repeats on the keene decent on Thursday prior to IM with my GF driving the car as a "ski lift." 3-4 runs usually locks it in and you go from a defensive posture to an either comfortable or attacking posture, which is what you need on race day.
    how were the road conditions? Had a friend up there who reported they were best they've ever seen, can you concur?

As for my other issue, I anticipate no problems. Kids all leaving for 4-7 weeks, so I will have no interaction, plus i got me a restraining order against the dude... shouldn't be any issues going forward (I'd hope)

Looking forward to more mojo here in the forums & sharing the high quality training we're all doing!
  • Options
    Hey all! Wish I could report an amazing camp week, but will have to wait on this for the 4th of July weekend. Over the weekend I traveled to Syracuse NY to race IM70.3. My first race of the season and a redemption race from a poor 2015 performance. Additionally, this race, I've been told, is a great pre Placid race. Super challenging course (the run just outright sucks)! Had a great day with a podium finish (more details in a forthcoming RR).

Took off Monday to recover. Yesterday, I jumped back into the plan full speed ahead with a 45' run and 4000+m swim. Bike is set on the trainer for some FTP work today and I think I'm going to pass on the run so that I set myself up for a solid 2hr run tomorrow morning.

Keep up the hard work everyone!
  • Options
    Hi all -- good to see more activity on the forums, and I'll try to contribute more often also

@Scott -- great idea to set up the Strava/EN/IMLP group. will be motivating to see how my training is stacking up against others.
    @Danielle -- congrats on the podium! I raced Syracuse last year and agree the run is a tough slog. Looking forward to the RR
    @Carole -- awesome that you were able to get up to LP for the camp and some experience on the course. Better idea than last year where the first time I did the Keene descent was on race morning!

The previous two weeks were full of work travel. The first week, I managed to stay on plan and got a good long run done in Houston's heat & humidity. Last week was a bit of a bust training wise, but a cool work trip to Argentina, so that was fun and probably gave me a bit of needed recovery.

This week is off to a good start with 6 wko's so far (2x per day) and back to back 4,000 yard days in the pool, which is likely a first for me. I won't be able to get away for any camps, but I'm targeting a couple long rides for the 4th of July weekend.

Happy Training All!

• Options
    Glad to see some activity here! if you can't find it, the IMLP group on Strava is here - https://www.strava.com/clubs/EN-IMLP
    it is a closed group, I think you can request membership & i can approve you. If you follow me on strava, I can follow you back & then invite you to the group.

@ mike - been following you on Strava - solid WKOs showing up there!
  • Options
    Hi All, sorry I have been off the forum for a while, crazy busy work..but no excuses !.

Solid training and a couple of fun races in Ixtapa, Mexico (on the beach, Olympic race) and a Giro dItalia stage that they did in Mexico that was awesome. Trying to add bike miles every weekend to solidify the distance and not too run too much (always afraid of getting an injury as I get close to race day). Also building the swim yardage. Promise to be more active here !
  • Options
    Thanks Scott for kicking me in the butt to post on this forum.

Completed my “mini” camp last weekend with a sold RR ride on the IM Wisconsin bike course on Friday followed by a nice hilly 90+ miles on Saturday & run on Sunday. Very hot here last weekend & when it’s hot my running suffers so I took it easy with the running.
    So far this week has been about recovery. I did manage a good run this morning & will get on the bike this afternoon.

@Danielle – Looks like you had a great race last weekend – Congrats. What is this trainer you speak of? It’s summer---get outside :-)?

Three more big weekends left until its taper time. As Al Truscott says “this is where the training happens”
  • Options
    @ Mark - paraphrase, it's now "this is WHEN the training happens"
    the where, is simply at TTC in Snowmass!
  • Options
    Not the best workout day... wasnt motivated to get it done in the morning despite being up and being cool out at 4:45... Went to the office early, came home, on the bike.. Felt like I kept nailing better and better #s over the last 2 impromptu FTP tests in the last two weeks and that I ought to try again... Especially after riding a theoretical .97 IF on a very hilly OLY course on Saturday. Well, i found the limit.. hit the first interval at 269... started the 2nd after 5 minutes it became apparent I wasn't going to hold it for this interval... should have backed off and finished the interval at a lower #, but just mailed it in.. Kids going to camp this week, so I had to meet them for dinner before running... rested run legs for tomorrow... #dawnpatrol
  • Options
    Sometimes you are the hammer & sometimes you are the nail... this morning I was the hammer!
    Felt good in mile one (felt like shizz in mile 16) but got er done.. Feeling confident about my intended race day pacing... Two more Long runs left before the taper... now to address that bike!

16.8 miles - https://www.strava.com/activities/618224569
  • Options
    Ran 7 last night (84 degrees). Not sure I rehydrated enough for this mornings run. Carried two fuel belt bottles in my EN Tri top and refilled them along the way. didn't get moving till my first gel(with caf). Even though I took 3 gels and about 32 oz of water and Perform I know I was dehydrated. I was increasing the pace for last 3-4 miles but had to hold back a little the last 1 1/2 as my right knee started to bother me. It's not really my knee but an area by the fibular head. I did 17 miles and I have been rehydrating since. I hope to get to the pool for a recovery swim tonight.
    TRP run tomorrow and two brick runs this weekend will hopefully get me over 50 miles of running this week. Staying healthy is the number one priority though.
  • Options
    I forgot to add a tip of the day. You cannot use too much body glide when running, biking, or wetsuit swimming. (as long as you don't get on your goggles)
  • Options
    Sometimes you're the hammer sometimes you're the nail, is that right Scott? Well you were the hammer today and I the nail image. Not sure whether it was the humidity or residual fatigue from racing on Sunday, but my LR today was just hard. I set out to nail a perfect PP run yet only had in me a mediocre easy pace type run. Easy pace is funny to say because it was anything but easy. Regardless of the pace I'm happy to have got it done.

@Mark, kids are home full time these days so M-F I'm stuck inside for my bike wkos. Luckily I have the weekends to get outside image
    @Mike, I think we may have met last year in Syracuse? Tough run for sure!

Will need to hack my plan for the rest of the week due to a kids swim meet I need to work on Saturday morning. Plan to do the big day on Sunday instead. Need to figure out what Friday and Sat will look like.
  • Options
    thanks Mariah - geez just over 300 in my AG...
    dats scary!
  • Options

Looks like many/most of us will be racked together in the 700's   Is that new for Ironman?

• Options
    @Bill - didnt realize you were coming to the party this year, good to see you here!! maybe a bike, run or beer in the next few weeks??

I think we have our own section because of the EN Club win... not sure if we are by number, or we go to a special area... 

@Mariah should have details for us???

@Danielle - be careful what you wish for, fabio is a coming! 

• Options
    We are racked together because we are awesome! (3x Ironman TriClub Champions)
  • Options
    After a good run on Thursday & good swim yesterday, today's ride was "flat", as in the legs just didn't want to push the pedals. Still managed to get 70+ miles in at a "just riding along" pace. We will see what tomorrow's ride brings.
  • Options
    Likewise on the rough bike day/week. I was down in CT for a friday night bahelorette party (i behaved, i swear!) so I decided to string together the quassy half and oly courses today. It was brutal and i limped the last 15 in survival mode. I know my legs have been absorbing a lot, but i'm disappointed that my bike fitness has just not come up this year. I suffered a season setback last year with a broken arm but thought by now i would have bounced back. Nope, still 20-30 clicks below my previous FTP. Ah well, something to keep focusing on in the long range plan and in the meantime will just keep swimming!
  • Options
    Crazy Hard Big Training day yesterday.
    Competed in the Sea2Summit Triathlon in New Hampshire. Swim 1.5 miles in a Tidal Inlet of the Atlantic at 5am, Bike 95 miles with 5000+'climbing and a net gain of over 2k'. "run" up to the top of Mt Washington (Tallest in the Northeast) My run pace averaged 28 min/ a mile. This was on the heels of a 17 mile run on Thursday...
  • Options
    TSB = -36. That is all.
  • Options
    Finished the week with >1300 TSS and 51.7miles of running. Starting to set things up for the last two big runs and the last big weekend of rides on 7/8-10. Hang in there everybody. Taper time is right around the corner.
  • Options
    finished up a big week -- one of my biggest ever as I rarely get to do two longish rides on the weekend. TSS of 1,309 and times of

Swim: 4.5 hrs
    Bike: 9+ hrs
    Run: 5+ hrs

Just a couple more weeks to go until taper!
  • Options
    And with today's 7 hour workout that's a wrap to week 16! The past 7 days, I had a TSS of 1609...I would say week 16 for me was work with a capital W. Logging over 10k meters of swimming, 190miles of biking, 50 miles of running. Week 17 for me will be the biggest volume week as I plan on doing camp weekend since I skipped it to race Syracuse.

Still somewhat fatigued from last Sunday I was sure how today was going to go. Got up early and was in the pool just before 6am. Beautiful day in VA and there is nothing like swimming in a heated pool outside as the sun is rising-gorgeous! Swam 4000 straight and felt pretty good. Hopped on my bike and took off for an out and back. Best part was the turn around was on a mountain....climb climb climb. Although it was a decent ride, I was discouraged that I didn't hit my targeted numbers. Just couldn't get the legs to do what my brain was telling them to do, which is "go faster!" 5hrs, 85 miles later I hopped off the bike and ran for 40'. It was high noon so the sun was nice an hot. Run was faster than I wanted it to be (even with a quick walking break every mile to drop the HR). Will need to dial it back a few notches in placid for sure.

Great job this week everyone! Let's keep up the momentum...we are almost there!
  • Options
    you people are logging some serious miles & disciplined workouts. My week was cut short by my race yesterday, while it only had a 4.8 mile run, it did gain 5000'+ on the bike and 4200'+ on the run!
    my totals for the week are
    Swim-13,533 yards
    Bike -138 miles
    Run- 30 miles
    TSS - 1279
    total bike & run climbing - 11,493'
    I missed camp week for a OLY and will be doing a hacked camp week this week as well..
  • Options

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING IT!!! SO inspiring! I absolutely LOVE to read these posts. I can't wait to see everyone up in LP! Congrats to all who raced and had some epic training weekends!!

This weekend really did not go as planned.....at all.  Had some stuff come up on Saturday that forced me to switch Sat and Sun workouts.

So I switched and did my 3 hour ride on Saturday- done and done. Planned to do my BIG day today. Got up and off I went on a long route (new route which I will never do again because I kept getting lost---stupid stupid).  50 miles in I was up in Southwick, Mass and got a flat. Changed it (but took a longggg time...damn back tire) and went to put in the CO2 but instead of going INTO the tire it came out the sides!!! UGH! And shame on me--- I had not replaced my other CO2s that I lent up in LP.  SO I was stranded. Big time. No cyclists passing and not close to anything. So called hubby who had to drive 45 minutes to come get me-----then it was 45 minutes to drive home---- Then when I went to put the newly inflated tire on my bike somehow my powertap hub came apart! (this was the back tire by the way). My husband figured out how to get it "clicked" back in..... Finally bike is ready....but I was not---- hungry, hot, and pissed off.  So I tried my very best to rally to get back on that bike (now going on 3 hours since my flat). Sucked it up and started out trying to ride again- but had NOTHING. Back was tight- it just seemed useless. I also didn't want to ride when I wasn't fully "with it". Not worth the risk (just had a cyclist killed yesterday in our area- hit by a car).  So I pulled the plug. Which off course sent me in a tailwind and complete freak out. I went and did a 50 minute swim and had to get to send my father off back to Georgia.  I am freaked about missing bike time (and workout time) Thinking of maybe biking tomorrow?? 

Trying to get my mind back into a positive place---seeing your awesome posts helps 

Thanks for listening to my vent team!!!

• Options
    @Laura - Glad your checking in, please continue! GREAT post... sharing the suck, having the problems and overcoming them now during training will make you both physically and mentally stronger on race day...
    Keep pushing!
  • Options
    Is it taper time yet? image After camp week and another big weekend of biking I'm really looking forward to it!! I managed to redeem myself a bit from my painful Saturday ride and found a bit of power in the second half of my 3h sunday ride. Starting the day off with a gorgeous swim in Walden Pond never hurts either. So in case anyone was wondering, going to a pool party in the sun all afternoon and snacking somewhat less than responsibly and having a beer (only one!!) does NOT set you up for a good 6 mile evening run. Woo, that was terrible, but it was worth it to earn a few SAUs.

Last two weeks of focus. I can't help but look ahead and see the final RR weekend of 2 in a row 112 bike days plus a third 56 mile ride on sunday. That schedule is new for this year, right? Is anyone else a little unnerved by that?? image

@Scott-- you are a beast. congrats on a serious race. And answering an old question that I had missed-- the pavement on the Keene descent is pretty good. The second steep part near the end but before the one lane road/traffic light situation is a little bit chewed up, but there are no major potholes.
    @Laura-- everyone has off days, one missed bike--yes, even at this point in the plan-- will not derail you. You're in good shape!!
    @Everyone-- Serious workout weeks you all had this past week!! Inspiring. My numbers aren't quite up there, but I'm putting in the most that I think I can absorb, and while I'm in no danger of winning I'm feeling confident I can finish with time to spare. For a first-timer, that'll be enough for me!