Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 IMLP Training WK June 21 - June 28

2»

Comments

• Options
    I can't help but look ahead and see the final RR weekend of 2 in a row 112 bike days plus a third 56 mile ride on sunday. That schedule is new for this year, right? Is anyone else a little unnerved by that??

Carole- I can't confirm that it is new this year- but I can let you know that you are not alone at being a bit nervous about it. Remember, I'm 1 week ahead of you guys so that's THIS weekend for me! GULP. I'm taking the coaches notes that say "as much as you can" to heart in a big way on that second 112. Frankly, I've had a hard time getting in that second 3 hour ride most weekends already, so if I can just get the minimum 56 done, I'll be happy. It's the last chance to build fitness and I certainly need the bump, but we also need to be careful not to get hurt in these last few weeks.

On that note- up your vitamins and had washing routines folks! This is not the time to catch a summer cold.
  • Options
    @Carole - please don't tease us with the T word yet.. by my count we still have 2 good weekends & three weeks of strong hard work before we think of tapering with a purpose... Plenty of hay to keep putting in the barn!
  • Options
    Make sure everyone is using their recovery techniques to absorb all the hard work. End of week 18 is going to be a wild one so be ready. Also...
    Athlete guide is up!!!
  • Options
    Yo... Yo... Yo...
    I have not been very active on the LP pages this go-round - that said, I am quite excited to see everyone in a few weeks! Injuries and illness have played a HUGE role in my season. I am not setting any course records this year, but am pumped up to get to the 'dacks and go dancin'!!

NEWBIES: over the next few weeks, please feel free to tap into the bazillion hours of veteran experience that are available to you. If this is your first time racing Lake Placid, get ready for an amazing experience. If it is your first Ironman - BOOM!! You have picked one of, if not THE most beautiful race courses in the country.

Over the next few weeks, as you reach the final stages of training: be smart... be safe... and make sure to let your family/friends know how much you appreciate their support during your training! This is not a solo effort - don't forget it!

The EN MOJO is nothing short of amazing - and I am excited to reconnect with many old friends as well as meet/make new ones!
    :-)
  • Options
    The whole forum thing is new to me and it's cool to see all this activity and see how people are doing. This week is the first week I feel that I am getting my groove back since the Quassy Half . After Quassy I went to Europe and have had family in town so I haven't had much time to do lots of volume. This was also the first week I got to really use my new tri bike instead of my road bike. I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the handling and being in aero. I'm feeling good about my biking and running but I'm still finding it difficult to get all the swim volume since I'm a slow swimmer and run out of time to get the yardage in. I need to do more work with my technique. I'm considering trying to find a local swim coach to see if that would help.

@Scott thanks for pushing to post on the forum.
  • Options
    @Woody - great to see you here! And looking forward to seeing you in LP! for the newbies, there are few people in the world with as much experience an every imaginable condition on the LP course. Woody truly is the authority and is abundantly generous with aiding others.. tap into him with questions
    @Roderick - at this point, swimming is swimming. It IS tough to improve that much that quickly. I'd invest in one or two lessons (I am having one myself on Wednesday) to see if you can get some quick tips on slowing down and swimming longer strokes. It worked for me and made me less tired after a 1:20 plus swim. Focus on learning that bike and getting your bike mileage in, on race day, don't be a hero with the tri-bike, especially on the downhills. Better to keep tire side down and go a few seconds slower than to crash out and ruin your season
    @ Rob - good advice from a real veteran.. it's all about structured work efforts followed by proper recovery (I am writing this from my couch with my normatec boots on!