Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training July 5 - July 11

ANOTHER BIG DAY

Watching your pacing (are you making mistakes early on?)

Nutrition (By now everyone should have completed a sweat test -- if not make sure you do that to know just exactly how much your body needs per hour)

NUTRITION SIDE NOTE: Head over to the Wiki for the newest CORE DIET seminar last year for complete breakdown of IM Nutrition 

Have you bought Coach Patricks Race Saver Bag? IMWI run can get hot, you'll wish you had it now to practice with, and especially on race day, grab them before they are gone! 

Don’t “rest” in-between but no need to go full fledge tri geek and set up transitions where you sprint from event to event

What coaches want to see this week is us talking about how we are going to prepare. Post your “big day” check list here, a chance to even practice your “race plan” and “race report”

Let’s not wait until after the big day to start discussing what we did or didn’t do. Lets plan it out, write it out and discuss it now so we can help each other. Then debrief the awesome Texas Crew after the big day on what worked and what didn’t.

This will set you up for your race rehearsals closer to race day.

****There is still time to find a friend who is racing IMWI and give them the best gift you could give someone— no not a power meter, a free 30 days of Endurance Nation. Sharing is caring!**** give them friend@endurancenation.us email and we take care of the rest!

FYI - Don't forget your family and significant others.... show them a little extra love every single day through this training, its a huge sacrifice on everyone, even little things go along way! 

Ya’ll are EN rock stars…. soooo what’s on your mind?

Comments

• Options

As the race Captain has posted, planning your week and setting yourself up for a successful BIG DAY is the right strategy this week!  10 weeks out, time to start getting your head wrapped around longer training events.  Hard to mess this week up if you pull off a successful big day event.

Feeling tired physically or mentally?  You have a few days to get that under control and mentally get yourself in a good place.  Planning your BIG Day, making lists, checking the weather, visualizing your nutrition, pacing, route, pre-BIG DAY routine, meals, etc........

For me, finding a way to put that swim up front on the same day is crucial given how it changes my nutrition and experience during the run leg of the long day.

Yesterday, July 4th, I woke up a bit stiff and mentally tired.  Ran a 10K which began as a family stroll for the first 3 miles: https://www.strava.com/activities/629758890

Swam 3,500 yds in the afternoon but it was a slog to get through: https://www.strava.com/activities/630290767

Had to focus and re-focus on keeping form and counting strokes.  Did not sleep well the night before due to heavy storms.  Between the run and the swim, we spent several hours with a chainsaw logging a huge tree in the back yard which had been taken down by the storms.

This morning, had to find the STICK to get out the door for a 2X1 and 3 X .5 miles of Z4 HR based work in heat/hills

https://www.strava.com/activities/630762857

Hoping to find some more Week 11 postings here soon!

SS

• Options
    Per my post last week - big training weekend continued
    Thursday 115 mile bike
    Friday 48 & 37 mile rides
    Saturday - 7.6 mile & 4 Mile runs (drove from Brad Marcus' house in Great Barrington MA, to Cronk's house in Laconia NH between the runs)
    Sunday - 3500 Yd OWS, 8.6 Mile strong hill run, 25 mile EZ spin on the bike with Jill
    Monday - took this as a rest day and did a 2000 yd OWS
  • Options
    @ Scott - some is ready for an IM. Solid work!
  • Options

Had an awesome weekend of workouts as well.    I managed 80+ on Sat with a rough OWS after.  Sunday had an 60+ mile bike with a solid Pnorm. Monday 10 mile road race on a course i have done before so good validation of times.  I ran a 1:04:25.  Good for 5th overall and 1st in AG.  I ran all but the first mile completely alone.  Not only did I get a pin and 1/2 dozen chocolate chip cookies, but a 4 min PR compared to the last time I tried to run it.  Will plan on light swim today if work allows. 

• Options

Rained here this weekend, so 3 bikes on the drainer:  4 hr Sat, 3 hr Sun, 4 hr Mon.  Have new Kickr Snap and wattage is very different than my PowerTap, on Mon found you can use the PowerTap to control the Snap and that worked much better.  Ran too.  Hard to believe we are just 10 weeks away!

Keep up the good work all!

• Options
    CRAP Alan! I knew we are pushing ever closer, but did ya have to say it outloud! 10 weeks! EEEK!

I am finishing up the half IM int. plan with Muncie this Saturday, so that will be my "big day of training" this week. I am not in great shape I'm afraid due to a few things, but most recently concussing myself whilst in Colorado at Al's Aspen camp. That punched a 2 week hole in my training. BUT...onward. I reached out to Patrick and we figured out a plan for the weekends for me. Ride 4-5 hours and brick short off Fri, 3-5 hour abp ride with brick Sat., and 1-1.5 ez bike with a long run after on Sunday. Thursday is an 1-1:15 run.

So, I've basically done this a couple weeks now, but because it is race week, did take this Sunday off. Sort of. I worked in the yard digging up shrubs all day. :-)

Today I will s/b/r and *hopefully* test my new toys: progressive sunglasses by oakley, the race saver bag and my new A2 parts to (please please please!) prevent infinite leakage all over my baby! This is all contingent on them showing up in the mail today! Fingers crossed!

My bike fitness is coming around, my run will be steady eddy all through the build to WI as I walked the back half of CHOO last year, and I just want to be able to run, and stay steady & healthy this year. And the swim...well, I just need to actually do it. image

Next week I have family coming into town on Wednesday and am hosting a large fireworks party on Saturday. My hubby's side of the family all know my weirdness, but I will have to shift my week around. I'm thinking doing the long ride/brick Wednesday am , another shorter session (probably not 4 hours like I'd like) Thursday, run long Friday and just a quick swim Saturday. Probably off Sunday, or another swim or maybe run. I will be under pressure to be "normal" for 5 days...and drink and eat a lot! Gonna need some Team JUJU to stay off the snack and booze wagon! image

Excited to see all the hard work and to have you all to race with come 9/11!
  • Options

After reading Trish, Alan and Todd's posts, had to take a recovery break, stretch, make myself a drink then take a nap.  Wow!

My week 10 status as of last night was ATL: 143, TSB -18.0......143 is a fairly strong fitness level ten weeks out.....good place to be, but the BIG work lies ahead.

After work swim slog last night:  https://www.strava.com/activities/631465428

Early morning 130+ TSS bike hell: https://www.strava.com/activities/631910167  

Gonna have to run in the TX heat tonight.....

Carry on Iron Peeps!

SS

• Options
    I hear y'all about the hard week; I had to cut the endurance time off of the Z4 run WKO yesterday ("only" ran 50') and the "optional" time off of the swim yesterday. With a TSB in the -40s, I know I need to let up a little bit, especially, as the wise SS said, the big work lies ahead (including the big day Saturday).

The weeks that contain the first Wednesday of the month (like today) are always challenging for me, since I have a long day at work both Wednesday and Thursday those weeks. I'll be doing the ride and run after 2000 tonight, so I'll have to let y'all know how that goes...

Keep up the hard work, team!
  • Options

No power meter at home right now and a light work load allowed me to jump into an early roadie ride this morning.  It was a lilttle bit of a hammerfest.  I did not quite follow the wo for today but did manage 1:30 of hard sustained effoert. 

And yes, I need more stretching.

• Options
    @ Trish - don't worry. I share your fear... I feel like I am cramming for an ironman in the last few weeks as I don't feel my volume is there, that said, I am hitting nice numbers, so hoping this cramming works, study time is almost over, so i have maybe another 5-6 days of cramming before I lighten the load for IMLP, trust the training & patrick's guidance, you have plenty of base under you and there is huge value to having seen this movie before.

this morning I did 2x20s in heat & humidity, 4th week in a row of validating my FTP #s and my lifetime high is real... Back really hurts today, not sure why, maybe sympathy pains for Cronks heroic attempt at Everesting... working that out with no run today and hoping in the AM to hit my last huge run before LP..

keep up the good work & good posting!
  • Options

@Scott-Good luck on tomorrow's run!  July 24th is right around the corner, exciting!

Opted to move the long run to today, 77 and humid today vs 91 and humid tomorrow!  14 miles done.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Options

@ Scott - Keep up the good work.  It will pay off in the end.

@ Alan , Bill - This midwest heat is really starting to kill me.  One half of my split run done this morning.  11 mile in 78 min.   We will see how hot it gets this afternoon.  Struggled in my swim last night but got it done.  With all the St. Louis people now in the haus, it might be time for a meet up sometime before IMMOO.  I think there are now at least 5-6 of us.  Maybe a run then a some food and a beer.  Or maybe just food.  

• Options

@Todd, Alan, Scott, Bill - you guys are killing me!  Way to hold that line and find no excuses men!

Feeling a little shaky here after last night's heat run and this morning's humidity bonanza - part 1: https://www.strava.com/activities/633013823

Wishing all safe, injury free, runs today in the elements!  Sending mental toughness vibes to all for those tough moments!

SS

• Options
    So much great work happening among this group! Love reading your updates.

It's been a bit since I've checked in...probably because things haven't been great and it's a lot easier to write these posts when things are going well than when they aren't.

Last weekend 4 college friends were in town for a visit. Fortunately, they're very supportive of my training so we all did a 5k together on Friday evening and they went off for touristy things while I got a 3 hour ride in on Saturday morning. Took Sunday off and did a 2 hour ABP ride on Monday.

This week I've been fighting off a cold and while I've been getting wko's in, the volume hasn't been there and they feel meh.
    5000 yrds of swimming between Tues & Weds
    Did an easy 3 mile run on Tues and yesterday I got in 45' of intervals on the trainer, and they were pretty rough.
    This morning I did 6.5 miles - about 30-45" slower/mile than I've been pacing and my HR was wacky. Going to scratch the 2nd part of the long run this evening to rest and hope this cold leaves my system before Saturday's big day.

Stay healthy, everyone!
  • Options

Split run done and in the books.  Not sure I have any water left in my body.  I think we were near 90 with plenty of humidity to go around.  The last 2 miles were a bit of a struggle.  I know the heat, hills and the fact that I took it out a little to fast added up.   7 additional miles for my biggest one day total to date.  18 miles.  I have eaten as much as I can, dumped salt on everything and now it is off to stretch and to bed.  Lets keep up the good work all.  

• Options

@Lindsay welcome back and get healthy soon!

@Todd I am interested in a meet-up.  Any thoughts on doing the Wolfride on Aug 5 in Columbia, IL (112 mi)?  We could do the ride and a brick after, plus a meal.  We could probably get many of the St L group to participate.

Nice job team on the run(s) today!  Impressive!

• Options
    I've been poor about posting, and a little better about getting the work in (only dropped the brick run Wednesday, since I finished the bike at 2200 after a long work day). Didn't have the time to split the run yesterday, and I wasn't able to be smart like Alan and avoid the 90/90 weather yesterday. However, I still got 2 hours of running in (we won't discuss pace/distance, but Strava tells all...) and was probably only a half-gallon dehydrated at the end.

@Todd/Alan, in for a meetup as well, but I'll be in Chattanooga the weekend of the Wolfride (EN Camp). As you say, there's enough of us now in for IMoo...

Strong work, all! With this work ethic, we'll cook the course in Wisconsin!
  • Options
    Inspiring group - keep it up!

I've been a little lazy this week. On Monday, I rode 68 miles very hard with an IF of .87, then ran 2.5 miles afterward. On Tuesday I woke to swim, but quickly went back to sleep as all the training over the weekend drained me. Wednesday I found myself being lazy - woke to swim, but decided not to. Thursday, I did the split run, 7.7 miles in the morning and 5.7 miles in the evening. I actually better and stronger in the evening - go figure. I swam this morning, but only 1,000 yards - felt more like a rock than a fish.

Tomorrow the plan calls for a swim, but due to time constraints, I will not swim. I know Sunday is an off day, but I'l probably do something, just not sure yet.

Have a nice day!

• Options
    Feeling very sore after split run yesterday (did 8.6 miles in the morning and 6.2 in the afternoon) Tommorow's big day might end up being a great way to exercise my intestinal fortitude!! Or dealing with "the suck", as coach Rich calls it!

@ Lindsay - I know what you mean about not feeling like the volume is there. My longest ride so far has been 56 miles and I know it should be more like 80-90. That's okay though, because we still have time! Get well soon!

@Alan/Todd - I am in for Wolfride!

Great job everyone and good luck this weekend!
  • Options

For those planning the long day in the heat, make to hydrate.  It will trump all else.  Once that goes so does the execution.  Sadly, work issues will prevent me from anything sustained this weekend.  I hope to plug along as best I can.  I rode 3 hours today in the heat and humidity and despite my best effort still finished 3.5 lbs off my pre ride weight.  I swear I sweat more than anyone I know.

As far as a St. Louis meet up, I will be away the weekend of the wolf ride, but don't let that stop you.  We could always meet for mid week swim. My pool has lap swimming from 8-10 pm.  It is outdoors and 50M.  There is plenty of places for a cold beer after.  I think I have some passes that I could spread around.  Just a thought.  keep up the good work all.  

• Options

Big Day swim: https://www.strava.com/activities/635000372  No issues but a little slow due to lingering fatigue.

Big Day Bike: https://www.strava.com/activities/635356054 Slower than normal, fighting both extreme heat and 20+ mph winds, hydration requirements.

Big Day Run: https://www.strava.com/activities/635453252  at this point, you do what you can do when your starting point on the run is 101 heat index..... 

Good day yesterday but mentally difficult given the conditions. 

Hope all had a safe BIG Day and are resting and absorbing while taking notes of what was leaned about pacing, hydration, nutrition.  These are key sessions put on your schedule to help you make much needed adjustments, refocus your training effort and drive endurance into your body.

What were your main challenges?  What did you do right?  What did you do wrong?  What was your key one or two things you will adjust for your RR1 in August?  Write it down, ask this team for advice, share your successes to make us stronger!  It is a journey friends!

As always, no matter what, KMF!

• Options

Great work yesterday everyone... looking at the WO's posted in Strava was amazing... so many big bike bricks!

Took the weekend off from work... so all I had to do yesterday was the big day (all...lol). Prepped everything Friday night .. got up early and hit the pool by 6:30. The swim is my weakest link... lots of self doubt about my abilities. I was feeling pretty good before I started... but as soon as I started... water was filling a goggle. Swam a few laps adjusting it at every wall... but couldn't get it to stop. Luckily I keep an emergency pair in the car. After I got the goggles straight my wife says to me "Why are you kicking so much? You never kick that much". Nothing like starting a big day with a little self talk..."If you're kicking too much you'll never get through the bike and run". I shut down the negative self talk pretty quick.... and finished up. Did 2000m... pace was slow... but I'll chalk that up to all the distractions.

I got on the bike within 15 minutes of the end of the swim. Legs were a little tight..so I took it easy outta the gate. I tried to slowly push the watts up into my working zone during the first half hour. Then I settled in and did a few 30 minute efforts. Never really could push any watts. I changed out my cassette a few weeks ago and I think it's had a negative result on my performance. I feel like I gained a few gears...  but as a result I end up in my smaller gears faster than I used to... so I'm much slower over all. I used to be able to hold watts on the downhill and use that momentum to slingshot up the next hill. Now I just feel like I'm grinding it out in the lower gears all day.

I stayed out a little longer than the 4 hours... wound up posting 86 miles in 4:45 with 4300 foot of elev. IF 72% VI 104 and normalized poor right at 200. I would have liked to be a little closer to 210 and 76%... but it was what it was. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/635412811/overview

The run was a bit of a challenge. It had heated up by then and was 88 with a little humidity. I figured with the brick I'd have to hold about 9/mi to keep from imploding. I was right. HR was creeping up throughout. I had to take 3 short walk breaks..10 steps the first...15 and 20. I like to limit them... if I don't... on race day it's just too hard to get going again.

• Options
    My Big Day was spent at Muncie 70.3 exercizing my race skills. All-in-all a good day, no podiums or worlds invites like some of my teammates - but a good day for me, I worked and adjusted my plan as required! More data and thoughts when I get home and 'connected'.
  • Options

Hi All - Congrat's on all those "Big Days"!  Impressive work!

I adjusted Sat a bit and decided to focus on a long bike (6 hrs) and the 60 min run.  Swim is my strength, so need the work and confidence from the bike and run. I have had a good 3 week build, and know that work this week will give my a good recovery week.

Keep up the great work and mojo!

• Options

Hi Todd, I would be interested in trying a mid-week swim meet-up and refreshments.  Btw, I was at New Town today as a volunteer and Dale (St L tri club) mentioned you are quite the triathlete!  I swim at Shaw Park.  Let's throw out a date and see who can attend.  What pool are you thinking?

• Options

@Mike - congratulations on the HIM!  You definitely got in some good intensity on that one!

@Alan - Long Bike/run set!  BAM!

I encourage all to look at the file Ed has posted:

Note the average pwr is 195 and the NP or weighted average power is 200.  5/195 = 1.025 V.I. a good number showing very little spikes and great constant power over the duration of the the long ride resulting in very efficient use of those watts.  Also note how he drove his HR up higher on the back half of the ride.  This is what you are after while simultaneously hydrating enough to pee at least twice on the bike and taking in good calorie content on the first half of that bike.

Now, look at his run file and also note the higher HR on the second half of the run - in total control......

@Ed - fantastic week nailing both the split run and the BIG DAY!  BOOM!

I encourage those that want to share, .......post your files here as able for feedback, critiquing or to make others smarter....

SS

• Options

Everyone is awesome!

Saturday ride and run went well. In fact, I felt really really good on my run - I couldn't believe how good I felt. I didn't swim as LA fitness doesn't open to 8am and I didn't have the time to wait around for it to be open.

Bike - one long stop for an espresso. https://www.strava.com/activities/635342827/analysis

Run - walked at half-way mark to get in a gel and water. https://www.strava.com/activities/635439790/overview

Swam 2,500 this morning focusing on speed intervals. https://www.strava.com/activities/637327964

Cheers,

Chris

• Options
    Congrats to everyone on their great weekend of training! So, we are just 9 weeks out, right?!!!

My big day on Saturday started at 8am. I would like to have started earlier, but my pool didn't open until then and I also had "kid" duty (my youngest son turned 11 and he had 4 of his friends that stayed the night. So needless to say, I didn't get as much quality sleep as I would have liked!image. Anyway I swam 3000 meters and felt pretty darn good, even though my legs were still sore from Thursday's split run. After my swim, I biked for 4 hours and felt good until about 1 hour to go then I think the heat started to get to me. After the bike, I ran for an hour and barely was able to manage 10 minute miles (I am usually around 8:15-8:30). The temperature was about 90 during the run, so I was suffering pretty bad. I felt really good about the accomplishments for the day. Felt pretty drained all day yesterday, but feeling back to myself today.

Swim: https://www.strava.com/activities/635208804

Bike: https://www.strava.com/activities/635605179

Run: https://www.strava.com/activities/635677464

Keep up the great work everyone and have a great week of training!!
  • Options

@Chris - HUGE BIG Day man!  Nicely done.  Did you pee twice on the bike?

V.I. 1.038 - your goal is to beat that number during upcoming RR1.  What is your FTP?  Looks like your 5 hour power number is somewhere between 165-170 NP for now.  You have several good weeks to refine that number, improve your body comp and lower your V!......those would be my focus areas.  

Nice job on covering the 6 miles after such a long time in the saddle!  Take advantage of using  RR1 to put that swim upfront bfore the bike/run if at all possible.

SS

• Options

@Kevin - 4 hours and 3,600 ft of climbing in rising temps will break you down pretty good.  Way to commit and get some quality saddle time in out there!!

Also, fantastic job putting that swim up front.  Now, given the heat, how did the hydration go during the bike?  DId you pee twice?  What kind of calories did you take in during the first half of the bike before temps really got warm?

For RR1 your goal is to pee twice, pace your bike and strive to record an HR that is higher in the second half than the first half.  How does your first half HR avg compare to your TT avg HR test?  Second half HR compare to your TT avg test results?  Have you tested?  If no, there is a test on the schedule for tomorrow morning....

Did you do a sweat test yet? What were the temps during your sweat test?  If yes, what did it reveal in terms of sweat loss / hour and how did that compare with what you actually ingested each hour of the bike?

Stay aero as much as possible.  Soft pedal somewhat on the down hill portions vs. coasting as this will give you more momentum for the approaching climb.

Running in the heat, off the bike is just damn tough.  What was your bike exit HR and how did that compare to your HR during the first mile of the run?  What is your 5K TT pace?  What temps was that test performed under?

Lots of time and lots of opportunity to break it down and find speed before race day!

Well done and way to lay it out there.......it makes us a stronger team!

SS