Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training July 5 - July 11

2»

Comments

• Options
    @ Shaughn... You're too kind in your evaluation. What you did in that oppressive heat on Saturday should be the textbook.
  • Options
    @ everyone - SS is pretty awesome. Takes the time to provide feedback, thanks!

Yes, I peed twice while biking and needed to go while out running - hydration is never a problem! In aero position most of the time. FTP is 215. yes, you nailed my 5hr power. Trying to compare that to my HR and see where the best match is - that's still a WIP. I feel when I get north of 148ish HR, that's when I feel like I'm doing some work and below 145ish, I don't feel taxed. However, given that I'm almost 46 (August), I feel like my HR should be under 140 - nothing scientific on the 140 number. Like I said, still working that out.

Agreed - I need to swim for the next one. Just trying to manage my "me" time with wifey and kids. Although, kids could probably care less, haha

Got my EN trisuit today. Fits perfectly too!

Thanks!
  • Options

Hello All,

Where can I get one of those racing bags that was talked about.  Are there any at Amazon?  I have been working on heat reduction.  I have been wearing the arm coolers on the bike (Question, do some of you swim with those on under the wetsuit?), a bike hat under the helmet (i love this for the sweat reduction in my eyes), and a running hat that has extra shading on the neck.  This seems to help a lot.  Like others, my heart rate spikes a lot when it is hot during my runs.

Big weekend had a little change in plans.  Had planned on Big Swell 2.4 race followed by the bike and run.  My wife started feeling ill during the swim race, so we drove home afterwards and I delayed my ride and run to Sunday.   I felt good after the swim, not exhausted.  My shoulder hurt l though.  Rotator issues.  I have been taking it easy on my swim training because of the shoulder, but I know I still can complete the 2.4 without a lot of problems.  Here is that:  https://www.strava.com/activities/635436976

Sunday went well from my perspective.  I didn't drink enough though and I had a hard time keeping my heartrate down on the run. 

In my head, I shoot for hitting the average HR on my run that I had during the last hour of my bike. That would be 131 on this ride. Also, my powermeter has been wanky.  I got water in it and it is not accurate.  I re-calibrated it three times this ride. (Does anyone know if you can recalibrate while moving? or do you always have to stop and unclip?) Once at the beginning, once about halfway through, when it was registering about 30 watts too high, and then towards the end, when it was about 30 watts too low.  Crazy. Stages power meter, I have some new caps and rings to put on the battery. Overall, felt good and am getting better at holding things steady when the power meter isn't working.  I try to find new roads on long rides, and the new road was "Trump Coulee."  I thought that was appropriate given the nonstop political news these days.  Nice view on that road, but several crumbling buildings.

ride. https://www.strava.com/activities/636951149

Here is my run. https://www.strava.com/activities/637005546,   it was a toasty day but I was happy with the results.  My heart rate crept up to 144 but I was happy with that overall.  

I'm open for feedback. 

I have enjoyed reading your reports.  Great Job everyone.  You are inspiring me.

@Chris,  I also stopped during my bike ride for a Red Bull.  Espresso sounds good.  I've been trying that out to see if I can tolerate it.  It sure tastes good in the middle of a hot ride.

@Ed, nice work on your bike,sold.   I do wonder about the heart rate on your run.  I'm still trying to figure out what the big day practice is for.  I want to dial in the effort that I can sustain throughout the 26.2,  however our workout says to crank it up to between TRP and z2 which would have sent my heart rate sky rocketing.  I could barely keep it at z1.

@Kevin, your ride looks really fun with all those hills.  Way to get some tough work done.  Suffering through those tough runs will pay big later on.

• Options
    @Stephan... great job this weekend... way to roll with the punches and take care of the SAU's first.

Aiming for my average watts during the last hour of the bike is definitely where I'll start my run on race day... That's exactly what you want to do... it's a long run. I like to try and use these race rehearsal/big days to test myself and see where I am in my training and get some data points to help me zero in on the right race day pace. It was 88 on Saturday with a heat index in the low 90's.. Thats why my HR went up and I was working much harder at the same pace. Usually in a RR I'd push to run progressive splits to finish strong. I think what Shaughn was trying to say in an earlier post is that my HR shows I was finishing strong even if the pace doesn't.

• Options
    Lots of great working going on in here. Had my last big ride before LP on Saturday.
    Wish I knew what I rode, my 520 said 112 miles, that I am certain of, however, it also said 5500' of climbing, while elevation correction on Strava - 6700
    garmin Connect - 8200
    Training peaks - 10,000+
    who is right?
  • Options
    @SS....Thank you so much for the encouraging words and great advice!!

@Stephan....the hills were fun, especially the downhills!image. I have friends that say these hills are tougher than the ones in Madison, and that's what I'm banking on. Nice job getting some good work in this weekend!
  • Options
    @ Scott - clearly, Training Peaks is correct!