Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona, Wk 15 Camp Week!

Team Kona,

This weekend is Camp Week, which is basically the start of the 4wk block that the EN plans have been preparing you for. That is, wk15, 16, 17, and 18 are VERY important for your Kona prep.

Thoughts for you:

• If you have your IM watts, HR, nutrition processes, etc all dialed in, then look at this weekend as more of a high volume vs true race rehearsal opportunity. This is especially true for folks who qualified for Kona with a race in the last month or so. That is, you did 2x RR's in route to your IM, then you raced, so likely that you don't "need" a true race rehearsal opportunity this weekend. It may be better to bank big training hours this weekend and save it for the final RR. 
  • If this is not you, then we recommend you at least do a true race rehearsal, either on Friday or Saturday. That said, it would be a very good idea if you could get in an RR swim immediately before this true RR opportunity. Personally, I've noticed about a 10w difference between my non-swim RRs and race day, so you may be experiencing something similar.
  • Finally, every session is an important data-gathering opportunity: weigh yourself before and after every session, track what you're eating, drinking, calculate your fluid needs, observe how your heart rate changes across your long rides and runs as a function of heat, dehydration, fatigue, etc. All of this will help you refine your plan and set expectations for how your bodily signals will change throughout the day, identify upcoming difficulties and implement solutions. 

Good luck and please update us on your plans for this week!

Comments

• Options
    This is the week I go into " heavy training." With Labour Day weekend ahead, I set out Fri - Mon as mini Epic week work, and I'm hoping to just hit myself with a volume stick and ride a lot, in mostly full gear, race wheels and lots of time in aero. Plus run. And swim too.

Every time I'm tempted to sit up out of aero on the bike, I'll remind myself of that stretch on the return from Waiakoloa to town.

I could still stand to drop a few pounds. And by a few, I mean more than a few. This has been a really tough year for body composition and I want to be running on a light frame again.

Starting to also dial up the mental game and devoting more time to visualization exercises, skills development, and keeping a healthy outlook. The 10 h goal I put out there is really undermining that, though: The numbers I'm seeing are making it pretty close, and after some analysis of past races and HI performances, I realize just how important (dependant?) a moderate wind day is going to be. This makes me zoom out to larger goal setting questions I have ... On one hand, keeping up the pressure to really achieve something tough is a necessity, but on the other hand, I want to mitigate a missed goal completely ruining the bigger experience. Mental chatter!

• Options
    @everyone -- Can't say enough about practicing that kona-like nutrition. Get really good at drinking a lot. There's hot, then there's Kona...do yourself a favor and lock that in big time..

@dave -- it's all so dependent on the day...if the winds don't work out, then you bide your time on the second half of the bike and prepare for a great run.
  • Options

I finished CDA just 8 days ago and a 5 mile hike yesterday made me want to curl up and take a long nap. I'm flying to Raleigh on Saturday but I have Friday off so I'm planning on a longish bike that day. How long depends on how I feel but it probably won't be more than 4 hours and it will probably be shorter. I am taking the bike to NC with me so I'll be able to do some riding and running while I'm there, in the heat and the humidity. That in itself should help me at Kona. I'll probably have to dress up like an Eskimo for my workouts when I get back to Washington State to get the same acclimatization response. 

• Options

This week, for the weekdays, I'm just "doing a lot:" 2hr ride today vs normal 1:30, swim in the evening, another 2hr ride on Thurs, then riding 12x to some point north of Santa Barbara, then another 100+ mile from San Luis Obispo on Saturday. Bumping the long run up to 10mi this Wed. IOW, this week's theme is to just push out a lot of TSS and see what happens. 

• Options

back into it this last weekend.      mono like illness last week I caught from patients.    had to take the weekdays off exercise.

will be capping the long bikes and long runs to 4 hours and 16 miles.     and pushing the NP and average pace.

half ironman at four weeks out.      generally not something I would do but feel it fits well with current progression.   and get to have some local fun.

• Options

My CTL is a bit behind last year at this time, but my volume is at or above.   I did my Camp Weekend last weekend in FL to take advantage of some heat and humidity acclimatization.   Semi big weekend again this weekend as we head to the UP of Michigan with four other families.   Will be on a lake so look to get some OWS in as well.

Beyond that...focusing on getting my gear ready to go so three are no last minute scrambles necessary.  Dialing the Ventum in more each week and feeling good there.  Planning to race in my LG M2 Super Suit given the Kona kit order didn't materialize.   I'm currently racing with a Bell Javelin helmet.  Great fit and aerodynamics but wondering if it will be too hot in Kona?  Any thoughts?   If so, what is the best option that has adequate ventilation with good aerodynamics?

• Options
    Jeremy, my experiences with a very unvented spiuk, and somewhat vented lg p09, have been just fine in Kona. In my first 2 years I brought along both a regular vented road helmet and an aero helmet so I had a choice, and only used the aero lids. I just found that you're hot overall and there wasn't any cooling offered by a vented helmet, so why not go fast. Not everyone agrees, of course, but I would hazard that there are more aerohelmets than not in the field.

Can't speak for others, but I like the small vent on the p09 for cooling. There's also a dissertation out there about how this helmet is faster 'vent plugged' below a certain speed, but faster 'vent unplugged' above a certain speed.

• Options

I agree with Dave...I;ve raced in Kona with 5 different helmets, and noticed no difference in how I felt about the heat in any of them:

• First time - just a normal road helmet
    • 2nd - Spiuk monstrosity, no ventilation to speak of
    • 3rd - Lazer road helmet with many vents
    • 4th - Lazer aero with tail
    • 5th - Giro Air Attack tail-less aero, with two small vents which worked great as long as I kept my head at the right angle

At Jeremy's speeds, he'll get good ventilation from any sized vents.

Writing this makes me realise I have too many helmets  I guess that's cause they;re cheaper than bikes?

• Options
    Hey friends - hopefully everyone got an email from me with all the sponsorship swag I am working to put together, Let me know if you didn't get such email from me.

ALSO.....

https://events.com/r/en_US/registration/underpants-run---kona-2016-kailua-kona-october-17197

JUST SAYIN! Ive registered and of course opted for ANOTHER trucker hat! LETS DO THIS!
  • Options

Hey Mariah,

I did not get said e-mail.  And am ALL about the swag.  Actually maybe I should pack an empty carry on just in case.... anyway hope this is the place to ping ya as no e-mail listed?  I'm at jennifer.mae.edwards@gmail.com or edwardsmjoj@yahoo.com or smoke signals or blow kisses or hey just hit me!  

xoxo

• Options
    Ya ...l didn't get the email either.
  • Options
    Aloha!

Before we leave for the island we still have some mainland things to iron out. I have snagged us some more sponsorship stuff that requires your attention before we leave. Once all of our sponsors have finalized their Kona schedules, I will be sending out party times, meet and greets with the companies and pro's etc.

I would encourage everyone to head to the Trisports EN store (currently having a Labor Day Sale so stock up and remember those Loyalty Points add up!) and get some extra t-shirts or a BOCO hat if you haven't already. When you're walking around the island and come across sponsors we don't have yet, you can help me make introductions to add to our list. You're my walking advertisements and those connections benefit everyone! We will of course have EN specific Kona swag for you, but we are there multiple days so extra outfits doesn't hurt!

QUARQ

I secured everyone of our athletes a Quarq Qollector which will be the best tracking device EVER! Myself, the coaches and your friends and family will be able to know EXACTLY where you are on the course. Think of it as GPS for your body. This is normally a service rental fee..... EN athletes get it for FREE!

I have watched this in action all year at about 5 different races, it's magic.

I need:
    First Name
    Last Name
    Age-group division (or age/gender)
    Nationality

Please get this information to me ASAP! Cut off date for that is September 11, 2016
    Quarq is owned by SHRAM so we are going to have fun mingling with them. It is my hope that we will sign them as a new sponsor so you all are our test subjects!

ROKA

Roka Sports has generously offered a deeper discount to you so that you can represent with their speed suit at Kona. Code is: T-ENDURNATKONA and is good until 10/8 for 30% off all swimwear - HOWEVER they also have us a code for old season wetsuits T-EndurNatWETSUIT which is good for 40% See which one works for you best but please consider repping ROKA as much as possible as they are going to be involving us in some of their island events.

They also just launched their eye wear line - which would look AWESOME on the island. I am grabbing a pair myself and some of the new run gear they have.

INSIDETRACKER

Whether you're an InsideTracker athlete or not, they have offered to supply the UnderPants Run outfits for you if you wish. Me thinks this will be logo'd speedo for men and bikini for women, not sure just yet on the women's side. HOWEVER, if you're interested, reply to this email and I will start that process with them.

If you aren't an InsideTracker athlete yet, I would strongly suggest you look into it. They also have an Influencer Program for free money, swag, comped races and hotel stays etc. Specifically for triathletes that are InsideTracker athletes. If you or someone you know is interested, let me know.

MILE18

As we all know Coach Patrick is literally changing the game on how we keep cool on race day with the RaceSaver bag. You. Do. Not. Want. To. Race. Kona. Without. This. Product!

Use code TEAMEN to get two bags for $30 HERE

Great presents for fellow athletes as well so stock up!

BEETPERFORMER

I am having a shipment of Beet Performer sent to us on the island along with some swag, but if you want to start drinking it earlier, remember they are a team sponsor. I personally like the Passion Fruit version as its not as "beety" YES, that's a word!

Use the code TeamEN15 to save 15% off any Beet Performer purchase at Amazon.com here.

NORMATEC

The fellas at NormaTec just taught me how to pack my boots in my suitcase so I don't have to check the box it comes in. GAME CHANGER! Getting out all the air and folding them sideways then halfsies WORKS!

Use this Link HERE to get $100 off PLUS Free Shipping!

We are looking to do more with this sponsor next year but we have to continue to support them. I will have one set at the Kona Camp for people to try but PLEASE do not purchase boots from expos - it hurts our relationship!

Stay tuned for what we will be doing with NormaTec on the island!

VENTUM

That Ventum deal is SWEET! If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail. They are the Official Bike Sponsor of the World Championship so we will be doing A LOT with them on the island. (HINT Currently planning a swim with a Pro and the Ventum Team) They are having a kit and swag sale going on now, feel free to take part in that also.

CASTELLI

We have a fantastic relationship with this brand, and you will see a lot more from that collaboration next year on the team. They are excited to invite us to a couple things on the island but feel free to head over to their website and shop around for anything you might need, arm coolers etc. I know some of you will be in their custom EN kit from last year, make sure to strut your stuff!

Marketing Chat

Social Media information
    Twitter: @teamen
    Instagram: @teamendurancenation
    Facebook: /endurancenation

#EN4Keys #ENKonaCrew

If you are on social media, please take every opportunity to tag our sponsors and ourselves in any pictures or posts. The whole world will be watching you and the team (especially if we reach 1st place in TriClub again) so represent well.

If social media isn't your thing, when you're walking around the island, say hi to people, make introductions. Let's show the world how amazing our EN family is!

You know where to find me, if you need anything.
    mariah@endurancenation.us
    919-961-4393
  • Options
    PSA to Kona qualifiers. 50% off One power tap powermeter for Kona qualifiers. If you didn't get the email you can send Jamie a note at jhartmann@saris.com with your qualifying details to recievethecode.
  • Options
    I could go for one of the chainring power things.    thanks.