Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽโ€บ 140.6 Forumsโ€บ Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Banquets

I assume worthwhile to go to welcome banquet. Especially since my first.

Should i buy extra tickets for 1-3 family members ???

And worthwhile to go to banquet after the race ???

Comments

• Options
    I just went to the IMWI banquet last night. I've never been to one before as I usually blow events like this off. Its OK, I'm glad I went, but doubt I ever go again. the food is so-so and I'm being generous. It was good to hang with fellow EN'rs and see some stories of folks racing especially our own Ian Kurth.

If you've never been, yes you should go. Just set your expectations on the food
  • Options
    Robin, I've been to a dozen or so IM banquets, and all were pretty much bland-to-OK (the one you and I attended at TX was typical bland), except for two. At Frankfurt, lots of good beer flowed at the awards banquet, and beer apparently makes otherwise-uptight IM racers much more fun. And Kona. I attended as part of the race organization, not as a racer (of course). I thought it was awesome, but I love the history of the race, etc. That said, I thought the opening and awards ceremonies were nearly identical (same location, food, layout, vibe). And if you have a fragile ego, skip the awards and avoid learning that the guy who wins your AG beat you by 90 minutes. Just my two Lincolns. Enjoy the well-earned victory lap.
  • Options
    assuming it's kona, yes, go
  • Options
    Well I went to my first cause well it was my first, then I went to Heathers first cause well it was her first, then I went to the one at IMMT cause I was so impressed with what they were doing up there I figured the RD would even improve that, and then I went to my first at KONA cause well it was my first WC....Bottomline for me? NONE of them were worth the time, energy , or money of extra tickets... Rather go out to eat with who ever I am with... Yes at least in KONA its outside, more room, more history, better entertainment, the food is still horrible.... Heck the food at the KONA finish line french fries and fried donuts is even better... I think of how boring and painful those are for me and think it must be torture to a non-IM family sherpa? Having said all that I know your gonna go anyway :-)
  • Options
    Kona banquet not like others ... Longer, local troup entertains (fire batons, drums, hula, etc) but after banquet not worth it...unless you are top five (or is it ten) and thus on "podium"

IMO, go to before banquet, not to after. BUT, if you have kids and no baby sitter...too long and expensive.
  • Options
    Kona banquet not like others ... Longer, local troup entertains (fire batons, drums, hula, etc) but after banquet not worth it...unless you are top five (or is it ten) and thus on "podium"

IMO, go to before banquet, not to after. BUT, if you have kids and no baby sitter...too long and expensive.
  • Options

• Options
    Ok thanks.

I generally do not go to the banquets.

But i will go to the kona pre- race banquet.

Looks like no limit to banquet tickets. If i bring five family are we likely to be able to sit together ???
  • Options

Posted By robin sarner on 11 Sep 2016 10:02 PM

If i bring five family are we likely to be able to sit together ???

One weird deal with the Kona banquet (at least up to last year) is two separate lines, one for athletes only, and the other for friends and family. Also, the line to enter starts forming EARLY - like 30-45 minutes before. We've been siting to the FAR right or left down front - side view, but closer than otherwise able to get, as the VIPs get an enormous football field area in front, and there's a big light and sound area smack in the middle of the regular folks' area.

So a plan might be to assign one poor soul to wait in line, and go save five spots, with the others coming @ their leisure. Food starts on time, but the festivities don;t go on until about 30-40 minutes into the banquet.