Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

next to last week. 2016

got in a pretty good weekend.

my 1 x rig working good.    52 x  (11-40).          etap.  

looking forward to being there.

Comments

• Options

Had a good final push as well including 11+ hours on the trainer. and eclipsing 140CTL for the first time this season (have been close a few times)

Saturday's RR was a great confidence builder.  1:01 swim in a pool with no swim skin, 5+ hours at 217NP indoors on the trainer (great heat training), and  a 6.6 mile Brick at 7:13 pace.   

I'm super excited and a little nervous about how I'll handle the heat and humidity.   I have a crazy busy week here at work so the taper couldn't come at a better time.  Friday PM departure, overnight stay in CA, then arrive KOA late morning on Saturday.  

The light is getting much brighter!

• Options
    Getting things nailed down over here - can't wait to see you all! Big embarrassing hugs coming to each of you awesome Kona racers
  • Options
    I got in some good workouts over the weekend and started working on getting ready to go to Kona. Last minute items are in the shipping pipeline.
    I've got a busy week at work so it's a good thing that the workouts are getting shorter.
    "In a week I'll be on Ali'i and that's a mighty long airplane ride.
    And now I must confess, l could use some rest. I can't run at this pace very long. Yes it's quite insane. I think it hurts my brain, but it cleans me out and then l can go on." - With apologies to Jimmy Buffett.
  • Options
    @Robin, can't wait to see the rig!

@Jeremy, super beefy block....taper baby, taper!

@Mark, little else you can do!

This is a fun week...super stressful, but remember Mariah and I will be there on hand to help you out as need be. We can get / make almost everything you might need on the Big Island. You goal is to just get there in one piece.

Pack your sneakers and run gear on top....you'll want to stretch your legs after that flight!
  • Options

Bags are packed and I'm ready to go!!  Took a day of rest yesterday as I came down with something due to exposure to my granddaughters bronchitis (didn't know she was getting it at the time) and my sister's pneumonia which hospitalized her (she was fine when I saw her 2 days prior).  Fortunately I have a prior IM doctor who is very understanding and he set me up.  So I did a little hour spin and a 20 minute run in 90 degree heat (no humidity) and it was hard.  Chilling now that everything is pretty much packed up for an early departure on Thursday morn!!    Can't wait to have some fun and meet everyone!

• Options

Well, it was a tough job but I took one for the team today and reconed the bike course.   You're welcome!  :-)  https://www.strava.com/activities/727271408  I've never been here at this time of year and it's super fun to see all the pros and moto pacing going on!  

On a more practical note one thing that stands out: I've been to the Big Island 8-10 times and ridden most of the course in one piece or another at least that many times as well.  I (we all?!) get prepped for the heat and humidity but what always catches me off guard is the wind.  It can be BRUTAL!  IOW perfect for EN ninja execution.  

Also, probably too late for anyone to make a change but I went from a 52/36 to a 53/39 because I've historically spun out on long stretches like the backside of Scenic, some of the Hawi descent etc.  It worked really well and I was able to push in places I haven't before...  'till I got skerred.  

Safe travels!   I LOVE big embarrassing hugs so hopefully after you get yours from Mariah I can sneak one in on y'alls too!