Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Maurice Matthew's Micro Thread

Hi I'm in week 3 of the Out-season run durability. My cycle training has me varying from Zone 3(215-229) power to Zone 5(296-323 power for certain training sections. I'm new to using power, but should my power zones correlate with my cycling HR Zones? My assumption is that my Zone 2 Power should correlate with a Zone 2 HR which should be under 145. Should this be the case or am i off base with thinking about Power versus HR Cycle training?

As an aside, my garmin cycling computer shows my heart rate at a max of 219 (I'm 35) when doing threshold testing. This seems ridiculously high when I compare it against what I see on forums about others HR Max but this is what it says.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Maurice...that High HR number means you are a BEAST!  image   No, don't worry about Max HR...that's some algorithm; we only care about the HR Zones from the EN calculator. 

As for the power zone / HR zone issue, they don't correlate 1 to 1, especially if you are indoors as riding on a trainer really suppresses your HR (no wind, hills, balance, etc.).   Just pick one (we prefer HR) for these shorter & harder workouts...we can transition you back to paying attention to the HR numbers as the rides get longer. 

Power is where it's at...now you need to try to keep moving that number up!  

Speaking of numbers, I don't see your test data in the Heads / Tails Sheet here. You can put you name and info below the other names...and enter your data, then we'll give you some feedback!

Onwards!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks for this. Did you mean, you prefer I focus on power now and then HR when the rides get longer?
  • Options
    Yes that's exactly what I meant. For the shorter, winter efforts, Power is the best metric to track your improvement and to push your body. Once you move into the season, heart rate becomes the best metric for making sure that you are sustaining performance across thwo, three, and four hour plus long effort.

Power it up!!!! image
  • Options
    As far as running this week, should my long runs be at TRP or Zone 2 since my A race is a 70.3? I was reading that TRP is for Ironman Distance is Zone 2 is for 70.3 distance.
  • Options
    Maurice -

Your question makes me so happy, because it means you've actually been reading our materials!:-)

Right now in the winter time I would like you running at TRP pace. That's what's consistent with the work we're trying to do in the Run Durability Program (RDP).

Once you move in season into the race prep phase, then the majority of your running will be written in Zone 2 (even some Zone 3) to get you ready for race day!

If for some reason you have lots of energy at the end of your OS Wednesday and Sunday runs, you're welcome to pick up the pace to zone two for the last mile. But I wouldn't want you to do any more than that.

Happy Turkey!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I am not reaching the weekly mileage targets. Staying in my TRP has me running over 10:30 min per mile and im not reaching the weekly mileage totals. Should I be worried about this?

• Options
    M2, not at all. Those are meant to be limits, not goals. I am trying to STOP other people from murdalizing themselves early in the year. So you run that pace, and you run it well...and you run consistently. Every session you are building critical run strength and aerobic depth that will supercharge you in 2017!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Quick Bike question,

I find myself struggling during the bike workouts that have for example 3 x 9' (2') @ Zone 4. I can get through it..barely, but the 2nd and 3rd round of Zone 4 I find myself really really struggling and sometimes have to slip down to Zone 3. Are these suppose to be a suffer-fest? I have no frame of reference. Do I just hope it gets better down the line as I get stronger?
  • Options
    Maurice, yes these are hard. But maybe the effort is a bit too hard in interval #1...I say take that down 5% and see if you can sustain it for all three intervals.

I'd prefer to have 3 decent intervals vs 1 good and the rest really tailing off!

If you have your data on line you can get me a workout link or something and I can look into it!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Question. The short course training plan has swimming on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My swim master's class has swimming 7 days a week, but Tuesday and Thursday are when most of the triathletes swim. Is it possible that I can adjust my swims to Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday since my swims are at 530am and my cycling/running is done after work around 530-6pm. Or should I just stick to the M/W/F schedule for swimming?

Thanks - Maurice
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - you sure can. How does this sound?

Mon - Bike /Run from Tuesday 
    Tue - Swim AM, Wednesday Run in PM
    Wed - Thursday Bike
    Thu - Swim AM
    Fri - Core / Rest
    Sat - As planned.
    Sun - Swim AM, then Steady Run.
  • Options
    Hey Coach
    For my run I'm unsure what the later half of the work means? Highlighted the section.

3 x 3' (2') @ Zone 5. Remainder of run is to build from recovery effort to Zone 5 pace to simulate the end of your run.
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - It means that once you recover, say you have 20' left...run that 20' building from easy to Race Pace....that will simulate the stress and increased pressure (pain?) of the run on race day. 

IOW, don't just start sprinting...and don't mail it in. Make the work count!
  • Options
    When a workout states a zone to stay in i.e. Zone 3 for 20', does that mean your average output should be in that zone or the actual output at that point in time should be in that zone for 20 minutes? For example Zone 3 heart rate range is 156-163. Should the actual output stay between 156-163 or should the average heart rate stay between 156-163?

Thanks
  • Options
    @maurice matthews -- excellent question young jedi. It's usually "stay in that zone" during the interval. BUT...sometimes you zones are new...or old. The newer the zones are, typically the harder they are...so in that case:
    • New Zone = Stay Within the Range
    But sometimes your zones are old. Your fitness has evolved but you haven't tested...in this case:
    • Old Zones = Avg is within your Zone.
    This can also be a function of where you are training; outside is generally very variable and can make it very hard to stay "in a zone" And still execute the workout as intended. 

I hope that helps!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Question about running pace. My Zone 2 pace given from running a 5k test is 8:57 and HR 133-152. I've done several zone 2 runs at this pace but my heart rate avg's 157. Should I align my zone 2 run with my heart rate or the pace given from running the 5k? The zone 2 isn't hard persay, but I can feel it. My TRP pace is 9:40 which is smooth sailing feeling.
  • Options
    @maurice matthews -  Long time, no talk. I hope you're doing well!

The problem you describe is typically a result of testing in the spring but running in the summer. "The heat is on" as they said in the 80s…  end it makes running by heart rate significantly more difficult.

Apiece they gave you a 147 heart rate no I will give you a 157 heart rate. It's not necessarily that you've lost in the fitness, but rather a direct result of having the ambient temperature increase by 20 to 25°.  When it gets hotter, things get harder. Enough said.

You have three options.

Option number one -- test again to get relevant heart rate zones. Time-consuming, plan interrupting, and painful. 

Option number two --  run at cooler times of the day, early morning or late evening, to get in the paces you want without the heart rate "pain." Remember that On race day you will still need to respect those heart rate zones, and run at the right pace for your body in that race situation.

Option number three  --  dial the pace back 5 to 7 seconds per mile, so that your heart rate is in a happier place. 

Let me know what you decide!
  • Options
    Thanks for the response Coach P.Yes I am doing well. Out here with all this great training!

I prefer option three. I actually like running in the heat because it makes people suffer. And when others suffer, I know I can dig deeper to surpass them lol. I'll just dial back the Heart Rate so my body likes me :-).

• Options
    Perfect. That should serve you well across the summer as things get hotter (supposedly)!
  • Options
    Would the advice above be applicable to the Bike? My Bike HR Zone 3 is 152-158 but I find when I stick to Zone 3 via Power my Heart Rate avg has been around 161. Should I just work to keep my Zone 3 rides within my power range or dial it back so my heart rate is within my zone 3 area? Not sure if this is applicable but I'm on the HIM plan so Zone 3 is my race pace. Thanks!!
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - Got it.

1. So for training, use Power, done.

2. On race day, your first 15 minutes is getting your HR down to normal weekend ride levels from T1 Level...do that soft pedal as easy as you can...then get to work using your power numbers. 

3. Know your "normal" HIM HR number and check in on that as you go. If your normal HR is 161 and you see 171 for your watts (hot day, bad nutrition) then you'll need to dial the power back a bit. If you see 151 but watts are good, then bonus, life is good (don't go harder). 

4. Use that Avg HR at end of the ride (last 30') to set your Run HR (not pace) for the first 3 miles...then from there you can pick it up as you see fit. 
  • Options
    You got it!
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• 09/09/2017 Patriot Half (B)
    • 11/11/2017 Miami Man Half (A)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 07/11/2017 
    • On 7/10 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/20/2017
    • On 7/31 Load the Intermediate 2017 EN*Half to end on 9/10/2017
    • On 9/11 Load the -- Post HalfIron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/24/2017
    • On 9/25 Load the Intermediate 2017 EN*Half to end on 11/12/2017

Coach Notes

I think you could use a change of pace right now. Since you've been on the path plan so long, I recommend we transition to three weeks of the bike focus plan, a physical and mental break.

You won't lose any fitness, and then we can transition you back to the Half plan into Patriot for the final weeks of training. And it's a bit of recovery before your final half push period

When you start that final training plan, you and I should connect about how we want to modify based off of your performance at Patriot.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Oh wow! Thanks for all of this!
  • Options
    I'm currently in the Half Iron Interm Plan ending 9/10. My question is surrounding the Saturday Bike rides. They are are around 210minutes which takes me past 56 miles to around 60-65 generally. Should I crank out the 210 mins according to the plan or cap it at the mileage?

Thanks
  • Options
    As an addendum, my legs also tend to feel heavy on Monday-Tuesday. I'm not sure if this means im pushing too hard on the Sat& Sun rides or it's a normal occurrence to feel this way. This is my first time training seriously, so I'm unsure of how I'm suppose to feel. Thanks again.