Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Maurice Matthew's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options
    @maurice matthews - if you have the time, I see you should do it. It's always nice to have a couple extra miles in your back pocket. That said, if you've got a scheduling issue or a ride you need to do later in the day then you can dial it back every so often.

I love that you're doing your ABP rides in Haines point. That's the perfect place to do them.

Looking at data from the past several weekends for you were able to do both days of riding, I don't see a great difference between the hardware on Saturday and Sunday. Your Saturday long ride heart rate is 150 and your Sunday long road is 155 which is the temple. Either you are biking too hard on Saturday or not hard enough on Sunday. 

Given the feeling in your legs, my guess is maybe you're pushing it a bit too much on Saturday? So maybe focus on keeping that first hour a little more conservative.

That said, it looks like you're taking most Mondays off so hopefully that allows you to rest (unless you're swimming and not tracking it in Strava). 
  • Options
    I'm reading through the one of the wiki's on pacing the run for HIM. I train on the run using heart rate because I thought it gave me a good reading on how my body was functioning that day based on temperature/terrain....now I'm not so sure. Should I be doing training runs by pace and race by heart rate? I had Zone 2 + 30" for a run in the previous week and I never saw that before. It made me think I should have been training by pace instead of Heart Rate on runs this whole time.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2017 1:31AM
    Hey Maurice,

Coach P asked me to try and help while he's racing in Mont Tremblant this weekend. There are a lot of differing theories/opinions on running by HR, pace or RPE. But HR is the true indicator of the real effort you're putting out, so I always default to HR as the truth-teller. HR and pace occasionally match up, but not always. When you're doing shorter, fast sessions (z4 or5), pace is a good goal unless conditions are terribly hot/humid. Longer training runs, I put a HR cap so that I don't over-do it. When racing a HIM, those first 2-3 miles are critical, and I focus intently on HR to make sure I keep it in check. 

At the end of the day, training done at HR vs pace should be pretty close. So, no second-guessing that you've been doing it wrong. You've been nailing it. 

Mike
  • Options
    @Mike RobertsThanks for stepping in with a great response.
  • Options
    Quick question I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my cycling power in my Zone 3 (176-187). I find that it evens out at the end, but as I'm riding my power seems to be all over the place around my zone  from 150 up to 205 as I try to keep my power in the Zone 3. I don't know if this is my power meter, or my pedaling efficiency or what. My VI tends to be between 1.02 and 1.06. I have reverted to keeping my IF and HR on my screen as well to try to keep everything in the range of my Zone 3 but I would like to go strictly by power. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    @maurice matthews - IIRC you are fast-twitch mofo so this is understandably hard for you. 

One way way I jack it is via autolap (5 miles) and adding "Normalized Power by Lap" to my screen. 

As I ride, I am building an NP number every 5 miles...this is loose enough  that I am not watching a video game of Numbers bounce around, but targeted enough such that I can't do overtly do damage to myself because I can see the results right in front of me. 

If you aren't doing it already, I suggest you check out the method to see if it works.
  • Options
    Hey Coach should I review my race in this section or set up time for a call to go over everything I screwed up lol and plan for my next half in 1.5 months?

Thanks
  • Options
    @maurice matthews -  I recommend that you put your review in the race reports section of the form, then you can copy the link and put it here for me to check out as well. That way the team will see it and can also offer you feedback. 

We will have it here at our archive and I can also give you my two cents. Don't get so stressed about messing things up, is the fastest way to getting better at doing them! :wink:
  • Options
    I have a question about running pace and heart rate pace. My heart rate zone does not sync with my pace zones. When I'm running Z2 pace (8:36), my heart rate is Z3-Z4(152-165). This confuses me because im doing my workouts by pace to get faster but I understand I won't have a good run in a race if my heart is sky high. I'm not sure if this means I need do a new run test (completed the test a few weeks back) or slow down and run by heart rate at all times.
  • Options
    @maurice matthews -  thanks for the question, and for your patience. To be clear, there is simply no way to synchronize peace and heart rate zones within a single person, much less the population of a team.

For example, at a certain heart rate in the beginning of the year you will run at a slower pace… But as you get stronger and fitter at that same heart rate your speedo pick up. So even with in the context of a single season, your heart rate and pay synchronization will not be the same.

Instead of thinking about them as needing to be linked, this is what we want you to do: 

First, you train with pace to get stronger continually pushing yourself.

Second as you enter the 12 weeks to your race window, you begin observing the heart rate that you see during those given peace efforts. This is what your body is “used to.“

Third, as your race nearest you begin doing simulation workouts with a focus on the heart rate itself and not the pace… Making the mental transition to following metric that will allow you to perform your best on race day without compromising you early and midseason training. 
  • Options
    Hola Coach P,
    I've been doing the run durability program to reach 100 days of consecutive running but I'll only be around 70 days at the end of December. I've also biking 4 days a week on Zwift. My question is i'm doing Florida 70.3 in April as a non-A race. Do I start the Out-season Plan beginning of January or should I go into the Half Distance training plan?

Thanks,
    Maurice
  • Options
     I said you continue with the RDP through January 8.

At that point you join the January I’ll season with a commitment to swim twice a week.

You exit in week 10 into the half Iron Man plan set to end on Florida. That should do the trick! 
  • Options
    Thanks! If I'm a weak swimmer should I try to swim at least 3 times or leave it at 2 per the plan?
  • Options
    2x for Jan/feb, then 3x into the race!!!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P, Instead of signing up for Florida 70.3, I signed up for GulfCoast 70.3 on May 12th. Should I stay in the Half Iron Plan ending May 12th? It's about 12/13 weeks from now. Thanks
  • Options

@maurice matthews

Going to be a bit more formal with your outline for this season for clarity's sake!

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• GulfCoast 70.3 on May 12th

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/15/2018
    • On 12/11/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/7/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 3/19/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 05/06/2018
    • On 5/7/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/20/2018

Coach Notes

Maurice, I make a slight edit from my original guidance in that I do what you to COMPLETE week 10 of the OutSeason Plan  with the testing, etc, and then move over to do the final 8 weeks into the Half. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hey Coach P, now that I've completed Gulf Coast 70.3 (race report to follow), my next race isn't until Sept 23rd (sooo far) Augusta 70.3 and then Miami Man Half Nov 11th. I feel like I really need to dial-in the run but that's all I have. Cheers!
  • Options
    @maurice matthews -  you might sound chill on discord, but you’re as type A as the rest of them! 😂 

First order of business is right in your race report and capturing all of your lessons learned. What did you want to do, what did you do, and how did that work? Maybe even a couple questions about areas for improvement. This recalibration is a chance for us to see what changes we want to make later in the year.

It sounds like homework, but truth is, with the period between your races so long it’s hard to carry lessons learned forward. Writing it down helps.

You have about six weeks before you need to really start training again, and I agree with you on the run. Getting you to run more will hopefully lead you out and help you get faster on race day. I like the idea of having you do a run durability focus, where we take a daily run habit and build that up with some bikes around it.

Normally I suggest A bike focus Block for volume, but I’d rather hold off until we get you under 10 minute miles on race day.

So this week should be pretty chill for recovery. A couple of easy spins, no jogging until Thursday, a swim or two if you have the motivation.  Ideally you will be recovered enough by the weekend to get a decent 2 to 3 hours easy ride in it. Nose with Racing, just a nice outdoor ride perhaps with friends if that works for you.

Starting next week you can load up the run durability two  plan and we can modify it. Basically would like you running 3 miles a day for six days next week. The following week we can go to seven days. Then the week after that we can do alternate days at 4 miles / 3 milesuntil we get you to a point where you’re running 4 miles a day every day of the week. All At TRP pace.

Next week would have one Zwift race maybe on Wednesday, and then we can ride to. The week after you’ll be able to do two Races (Tuesday/Thursday) in a while and we can ride and we can build from there. How does that sound? 
  • Options
    Sounds great. I just posted my race report.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the race report!

How is your body feeling now that we’ve hit the end of the week?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I feel good and ready to go. Have done very little this week except eat :D which I've stated I will cut out beginning Sunday lol. I'm reved up and ready to start training. I'm going to upload the run durability for next week so I can run 3miles a day for 6 days a week.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick The run durability plan has rides on Saturday. Since I'll be running 7 days a week, should I modify the plan to ride Tues/Thur/Sat or just Tues/Thur?

Thanks
  • Options
     I like the idea of you doing Races on Tuesday and Thursday, again in the 45 minute to 1 hour range for the total work out, and then if the weather is great and the schedule works, get out for an easier ride on Saturday or Sunday. Ride with friends or something. You know, the real world kind. That will be a nice counterbalance to the hard rides during the week and will not interfere with your runs. 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick sounds good. The one lingering question is should my TRP runs be by pace or HR? I typically have done my runs by TRP HR which is 142 and is around 10min/mile. My TRP Pace is 9:40. I've run by heart rate because of the heat. Moving forward, should I do continue to do all my TRP runs by HR or pace. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    That’s a great question, especially given where you live “hottest place in America” and the time of year.

The 20” difference isn’t that much and I would be OK with you running TRP  using  Pace. Heart rate becomes important during a longer runs when you’re doing a 10 miler, for example, getting ready for a race. When Your training becomes race specific It’s time to use heart rate.

But if you’re just going out for a 3 mile run and you could hold 940s and not suffer too badly with the heart rate. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    Hey Coach P the Run Durability plan ended for me. Should I just stay on that or do add something like the Half Marathon plan to get more run time. I'd like to get up to 40 miles a week for the month of July/August to just have more running experience. My next race isn't until Augusta 70.3 end of September. I'm ok with where my bike is now (FTP 280) but its the running off the bike that still has me. Under 10min off the bike is the goal.
  • Options
     You could do that, but that is very run intensive. How about you go with the run focus block? It has a bit of intensity in it but also has some good structure with the bike as well. How about you go to Training Plan Central to read about it and let me know what you think.
  • Options

Hey Coach P. I know all my races for next year so trying to figure out what plans to upload.

November 24,2018 - North Miami half marathon or 10k.

January 27, 2019 - Miami Half Marathon

March 31, 2019 - Rattler 66k

April 14, 2019 - Ironman Florida 70.3....Is this too close to Rattler?

June 9, 2019 - Eagleman 70.3

• Options

@maurice matthews those are great. Can you plse submit those via the roadmap online so it’s put into our member database?

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I think we keep your run streak going now, with a lighter Run Durability Program into the November OutSeason® . Then we can adjust to keep that rolling into your 13.1 in Jan. The real challenge will be building some longer runs on the weekend to prep you for the transition to the Ultra plan for the final push to Rattler. We'll miss you on Le Zwift, Future Ultrarunner!! 🤣 Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• 01/27/2019 (Run) Miami Half Marathon
    • 03/31/2019 (Run) Rattler 66k
    • Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City (2018-09-23) #703atlanticcity_18    

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/17/2018
    • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/3/2019
    • On 2/4/2019 Load the -- UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 3/31/2019
    • On 4/1/2019 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 6/23/2019
    • On 6/24/2019 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 09/22/2019
    • On 9/23/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/6/2019
    • On 10/7/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/3/2019
    • On 11/4/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019

Your Notes

Gulf Coast 70.3

Augusta 70.3Cycling 3-4 times a week

Running 4-5 times a week

Swimming 2-3 times a week

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P