Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Sid Wavrin Micro Thread...

Hey! Here's your Micro Thread, as promised. As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  I usually check in 2-3 times a week; for more urgent questions, please use the Chat Icon in the bottom right of the page!
It was great to chat with you today...as we noted, you have a unique combination of fun stuff before your half...I am jealous, yet ready to help!!

First, we have a 13.1 on 2/25, then a Gran Fondo (3/19) and then the Ridge run on 4/9 (20 miler). 

• So...for now through 2/11, get that long Sunday run in the 10 mile range, and Wednesday in the 8 mile range. The other running is bonus, and the cross training will have you ready. (Weekend of 2/18 is just an 8 mile run). 
  • For the Gran Fondo, I'd like you to plan on biking 2.5 hours on your Saturdays (Quality first, then extra time in Zones 1 to 2). Sunday should have a 1 to 1.5 hour spin in the PM, say before dinner (could be before the run, but not ideal)...note no ride on Sunday 2/19.
  • For the trail run, I'd like you starting the Week of 2/27, to move to a 90-minute Wednesday and Sunday Run. This will give you two good volume pops without compromising the other work that will make you strong (hard bikes, shorter runs). 

In terms of power, I suggest you reach out to the Team in the Power & Pace Forum

How does all of this sound? 

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Last Sunday I did run about 10 miles and had extended the Wed. run a bit also, so I'm on the right track. Looks like we are expecting a change in weather so the biking will get easier to extend also. It was great to chat. Thanks again.
    Sid
  • Options
    Awesome...I'm here if you need me!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    P,
    I have a half marathon coming up in a little over a week and want to learn what I can from it in the context of EN. (by no means an A race) I am in the Jan. OS so I think it is at the end of week 7. I entered the OS in pretty good running condition. I have some longer things on the schedule early in the season and so have pushed the running mileage to mid 30 miles per week with the long run around 13 and Wednesday around 9.Will this be a good HM time trial test or should I approach it with a different mindset? I looked at some pacing information on the sight that related to pacing across the half that dealt with M/M but not so much with HR %.  My Vdot was done on a treadmill and is 47 I think. Garmin has my current Vo2 at 53. Also testing is the next week. Should I test the week of the 1/2 or the week after do you think? I enjoyed your podcast discussing the half as a test and would like to be armed with that info going forward, so I guess I'm asking if you think this timing will yield good information in that regard. Thanks for taking time!
    Sid
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin

Great question...I really appreaciate how thoughtful that was. I think it's not easy to "insert" given what's going on in the OS...step one is if you are going to be doing Week 7 ending in the half, I say swap it out with week 8 (So you test bike, rest and then race Half). 

As for the half it self, we don't really run by HR in a half - it's much more paced based. If you don't have Pace for the race itself, you can still use splits (by mile marker) as those are easy. But if you want HR for sure, then you might have to extrapolate off of your current runs. Let me know if you think you can run by pace or if it's HR only. 

We'd still want you to pace the same way: 3 / 7 / 3 -- and pacing in a half is just so much harder by HR, especially early on. The goal is to settle in, be steady, then pick it up. So last 3 HR not really a thing to look at; you're just pacing off of "how much farther!?!?!!"....and early HR not reliable...so you are running to get the HR up and into that Zone 3 area. 

Again, let me know re the pace vs hr deal!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    For sure I will use pace vs HR. I will just set a very reasonable goal and work from there. My HR is not at all reliable in the beginning. Not great timing, but I can insert another half later if I don't glean data that is useful. It's early and I won't be too well rested but I would really like to begin to get pacing dialed in for races coming later in the season. Thanks for the feedback.
    Sid
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin

It's a learning process for sure...you'll soon get really good at understanding your HR "flow" but I wouldn't want you to depend on it in a running only race. The early miles are too variable at Race Pace to make them useful for pacing. 

Good for analysis, yes, but not as a guide. 

Good luck!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,
    Are we using average pace per 100 during 1000 yd TT as T-pace for swimming? Also I am doing a duathlon in a couple weeks. 5k run,30k bike, 5k run. I am really trying to dial in bike pacing and learn so I can apply this to half and full Ironman. I am thinking this bike should be right at or just below FTP. Sound right? Thanks for the help.
    Sid
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin

1) Yes, your T-Pace is that average. 

2) I would look at our Short Course Racing Guidance here. Yes to close to FTP, but you still need to ease into the first 10 to 15 minutes! 

3) similarly your early run should be fast but not HARD...that will come in the second run. I can feel the burn in your quads already!!!  :mrgreen:

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Patrick,
    I am closing in on week 15 of an IM plan. On Wednesday of that week I have a ride on Mt Rainier I like 
    to do each year that is about 80 miles with a bunch of climbing. This ride will likely push 6 hours. I want to make this a camp week, but this ride changes things a bit. What suggestions would you have for the rest of the week to take the best advantage of a camp week? Pretty tough to have a long run Thursday after this ride and expect to have good WKO's for the weekend. The only good option for an early AM swim to get a long day started is Friday. Let me know what you think.
    Sid  

• Options
    @Sid Wavrin I approve of this ride if you promise to take pictures and share them on the dashboard! :-)

I love the plan, and here are my adjustments:

* normal plan through Tuesday.

* Wednesday: long ride day, live it up!

*Thursday:  Long swim day, optional 30 minute run.

*Friday: big day here for you swim, even if short, followed by a long ride and a short run.

*  you can either do your long run on Saturday, then Sunday happy to swim/off day. Or, if you're looking for lots of volume, you can do another 3 to 4 hour ride here on Saturday and then your long run on Sunday. 100% your call.

Let me know what you think! 

~ Coach P 

• Options
    Coach P,
    First of all, great race at IMMT! I've been reading race reports and have been both inspired and intimidated. You guys are amazing. I just finished CDA. It was my third IM and first one with EN. I continue to learn. I just started training and racing with power, so that was a learning curve. I will make a long story short. Swim was fine. TSS on the bike was 358. Woops. Day turned hot and the run sort of fell apart. I am still plenty happy with day and I know what I need to do. My run fitness is solid. I need to build FTP on the bike while maintaining run fitness. I'm thinking in some order a get faster plan and then the Nov. outseason. I love trail running and have my eyes on a 40 miler as a B race in early spring. Not sure if 140.6 will be on next summers schedule but for sure a half or two. I would like your input on what I should be doing as I move through fall. No major racing. I know you are busy and don't want to be high maintenance so you tell me what works as a way to communicate. Talk to you soon
    Sid
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin -  thank you for the kind words and congratulations on your race! CDA is a tough course, but I don't care where you are racing… 350 a TSS is terrible and will likely cost you. I'm not sure you could've even done yoga after an effort like that!

I do season planning work like this once a week, so I will put this into my inbox and get back to you. Please standby! 
  • Options
    @coach Patrick, I' will give you a bit more info to work with. Swim at CDA was 1:13, Bike was 6:19, (I really feel like this the best opportunity to gain Time) and the run was 4:40. I think I can run close to 4 hours if I execute the bike correctly. Overall race was 12:22. I would like to think I could go sub 12 if I did things correctly. PR is 12:04 where I ran a 4:12 marathon. (Whistler). Keep plugging away!
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin Thanks for the info and the context.....as you look at our Three Year Plan in the Wiki you will likely find a lot of information that will help you. 

Macro:
    • We want to improve your bike strength and "smoothness" on race day such that you are faster and have a lower physiological cost (for the run). This can be done in the OS and with a fall with a Bike Focus. 
    • Race Nutrition - Need to confirm you do the Sweat Test and the full hydration / feed plan...minimum 12 weeks out. But you can even do it now. For perspective, I use my race fueling stuff in EVERY BIKE OR RUN that lasts longer than 45 minutes. YEAR ROUND. 
    • Run Durability will help too...via the OS....and a huge part of that is keeping you healthy. So make decisions all winter that keep you healthy!
    Micro: 

• Bike Focus plan now, ending 10/22. As long as weather is nice, ride outside on the weekends...weekdays work really hard on those intervals. Bonus if you can build up from 4 x 30' runs to 6 x 30' runs by the end (ignore the stated runs.
    • Down week pre OS.
    • Start Nov OS on 10/30 and get to work!
    • We can map out there next steps for February as a the races get clearer!
    ~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick I am looking at the Nov. outseason and trying to figure out how to optimize it as well as continue with the Zwift racing and Sunday ABP. Tuesday is Zone 4 intervals which I think could easily be replaced with a Zwift race. Thursday is 30/30's which seem important. What would you suggest here? The workout as written, or can I replace that with a Zwift race of some kind? I also have really enjoyed the Sunday ABP.  Not sure how that will fit? Maybe switch run to Saturday and make the Saturday ride the Sunday Zwift ABP?Any ideas here? I really want to optimize the winter outseason. I have not really cemented a race schedule yet, but I'm thinking an early half (possibly Florida) and then maybe IM Canada. I would like to talk to you someday about the choice of the IM. I've done Canada once before and love it, but maybe there is a better choice. Any thoughts you have here would be great.
    Thanks, 
    Sid
  • Options
     I said you start off with one race a week. I recommend Tuesday. Do that for the first phase of the all season And  let’s see what your numbers look like.

Since there are two outseasons, I really feel like there should be two weekend rides. I think it’s a worthwhile discussion on the boards about how to modify for the winter as ABP is less of a Sunday thing in the winter months. 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

December Outseason

Your Races

• Troika Triathlon 1/2 ironman 6/2/2018 
    • Ironman Canada (2018-07-29) #IMCanada_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/11/2018
    • On 12/5/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 3/12/2019
    • On 3/13/2019 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 3/26/2019
    • On 3/27/2019 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 6/2/2018
    • On 6/3/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 7/29/2018
    • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/26/2018
    • On 8/27/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/23/2018

Coach Notes

Ok, your Season Roadmap updated for you according to IMC and your Half. I think it's all pretty straightforward, the key part is making sure you rest now (when needed) and that you do Swim Camp so that your legs are recharged as your speed is jumpstarted. 

If there are other things you are working on this year, please let me know!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick  I wanted to touch base for any fine tuning as I approach IM Canada as an A race. I Pretty much followed the season plan above with the idea of trying to improve the bike. I think FTP wise I am about equal to last year. I had hoped for a little boost but I'm not getting younger. Running fitness is good I think. A current focus is to try and improve race day nutrition. I have studied the Wiki and am trying to figure out a way to get 400+ calories per hour on the bike. (can't imagine, but I'm trying) Do you really get 450+ calories/hour on the bike? I understand the bike and run pacing guidelines and will focus on that also. I've been on Training Peaks for around a year and I am starting to be able to use the data I gather there. Can I give you my credentials for TP and have you take a quick look and let me know if you have suggestions as I approach the last 8 weeks of prep for IM Canada? I will be doing a Half Iron distance race 6/2. My focus there is nutrition on the bike, and pacing on the bike to try to finish with a strong run. I'm generally a 5:15ish 1/2 IM time, but need a pretty good run to get there. From there I have about 8 weeks to my main focus. Right now I feel like the limiter on the bike is Vo2 type power. (30 seconds or 1 to 5 minutes) which then limits FTP growth, but I think for now it is what it is and I will continue to work that in future outseasons. (conversation for another time!) IM Canada is hilly (they are saying 8500 feet) so I will be on the bike for while. 6:15ish as a guess. I feel like I could do this at about .7 IF if I control the climbs and flatten the course as much as possible. This would still be a high TSS, but the practice rides seem okay here. Any suggestions you have for that period would be great. I am using the intermediate bike focused IM plan and stick pretty close to it. I am doing the Bend camp which is week 13, so a nice volume pop there.  This is IM #4 for me and the second time in Canada. I am kicking around the idea adding a fall IM to this year also. I want to dial this in. Time marches on! I aged up this year so perfect opportunity! I think TP login is Swav1tp$ Any input would be great!
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin - Yes I do take an a lot of calories on the bike, but as a function of my engine and how hard I’m working. Two bottles of Gatorade endurance is about 350 so I need after that is one gel. Remember, you start with the liquids first not just food.

I like the idea of focusing on nutrition for the half, so you can get used to eating and drinking in a race scenario. 

The strategy of holding .7 is perfect are you can do is be steady and let the TSS pile up. That race is going to be much more about attrition 10 speed. If you paste the bike right you will pass a ton of people on the run.

As a longtime member, I’m happy to take a quick look at your data, but you need to use the red chat button on the members website to send me your username and Password. 
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2018 4:25PM
    @Coach Patrick After talking with you I loaded Final Surge. I am thinking about a plan. If you remember from our conversation, I want to do an olympic or two this fall, maybe a half marathon in November with the focus on improving power/speed on the bike. I'm thinking probably the "get faster" plan which includes SBR or the Bike focus block modified with some swimming. What do you think is good for now?
  • Options
    I think they get faster plan is perfect. It will take a little bit of modification to make sure that you will be half marathon ready, but happy to help with that. Set it up to either start now or end on your race which ever works (remember we always want your plan to end on Sunday of this week if you choose that option) and we can go from there.
  • Options

@Coach Patrick I have a nagging heal problem that has progressed to a point that I think need to quit running for a bit.The timing is as good as it can be because I was trying to focus on the bike. My Question: I have looked at the bike focus plan, but it still includes some running. If I wanted to completely eliminate running for a bit what can I add as biking. It seems like the key workouts in a week would be hard threshold session (maybe centered around Zwift race), a hard VO2 session and a longer ABP type session. What else could be added on the bike? Maybe another FTP type WKO well spaced? Bike 6 days a week? Or better to work some endurance? I may also fill in swim 2 days a week. Appreciate any input you may have.

Sid

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - yes, please get that CHECKED. Also, please review your run shoes (how old?) and everyday shoes (good support?). I suggest you lock in a good calf / achilles rolling routine so you can target what is likely the source.

More biking is good, but it doesn't have to be hard / quality to be good for you. Especially in the Fall when it's just gorgeous and fun to explore.

I like this:

Mon - Swim / Self Care

Tues - FTP Ride / Zwift Race

Wed - Easy outdoor ride or just easy ride. 60 to 90 minutes.

Thu - VO2 Session.

Fri - Swim / Self Care

Sat - ABP ride like HangOn...really get after it. Extend after for Zone 1 to Zone 2 ride time as you are able.

Sun - Swing day.

• If it's nice, get outside and just enjoy a nice 1.5 to 3h ride. Maybe push a hill or two ,but nothing much.
    • You could ride inside and go steady with effort only happening on the sprints. Use the power ups and push and see what's possible. Rest of the time is Z1 to Z2.

Please keep me posted on the heel!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick . What a great reply. That's what I had in mind, but nice to have the assurance. Really appreciate you taking the time. I really like that you honor the outdoor time on the bike. That's why we started this in the first place!

• Options

@Coach Patrick I wanted to touch base on some season planning. We have talked so you know a little recent history, but here is a short summary. I started the Nov. outseason. Got through week 8. Went really well. FTP at about last years season end. Then came travel...sick etc. Bottom line I stumbled through 2 weeks. I feel better, got some decent training in last week and I will re-enter the outseason at week 9 which will put the finish of that on March 3. I am bike focused and need to stay that way. I plan to race Victoria 70.3 June 2 and then CDA 70.3 June 30. My A race for the year is IM Arizona Nov. 24. I will put a half marathon or two in here early spring and want a couple of big bike weekends scattered throughout. I am not sure how to structure summer other than maybe a block focused on intensity somewhere after the the 70.3s and the obvious IM build to Arizona. I think I can hit the 70.3s pretty hard, making the first one an A race and see what happens for the second one. Maybe we can touch base again and figure out what to do in the 4 weeks between the two 70.3s. Then I think after those races I have some time to try to build speed for a bit before building for Arizona. I like Al's approach of some shorter racing to hone things a bit. I did several in row last fall. Maybe I should think about the next level of membership right at this time (after the 70.3s before Arizona) to get some extra input from you? At any rate, any thoughts you have would be welcomed.

• Options

I am sorry to hear that you got sick summer but it’s all good. I think that you are in a good place overall. Sometimes our body just needs a break, and better now than just before your big race!

Be patient in this first week back, you might have to dial the expectations down a bit just to be OK. you’ll need to ease in a bit. Might even need a Sunday off! 😱

plenty of mid season options. Let’s see how you exit the house season and complete your first race. We can make adjustments for the second, and then regroup for the middle part of the year.

Let me know how this week goes!

• Options
    edited February 5, 2019 5:07PM

@Sid Wavrin -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Hey man, thank you so much for submitting your races for the rest of this year. I am really looking forward to racing with you in November! You might not feel it, right now it's a long way until November. So I suggest you load up swim camp into a final surge and start to consolidate your fitness. You can take a minute here in the forms in just let me know what your exit run fitness and bike fitness look like as well as your body composition. While you're at it, please post a picture of you on the bike and on the run from one of last years races so I get a sense of How you look on race day.

I would also like to know your prioritIes are for the 70.3 races. I have you peeking for the first one, and then pivoting for the second. Hopefully that jives with what you're hoping to do. Let me know!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Victoria (2019-06-02) #70.3Victoria_19
    • Ironma 70.3 Couer d'Alene (2019-06-30) #70.3CDA_19
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/04/2019
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/3/2019
    • On 2/4/2019  Load the    Swim Camp to end on 02/17/2019
    • On 2/18/2019 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/2/2019
    • On 6/3/2019  Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 6/30/2019
    • On 7/1/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/14/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

4 Ironman, 15 plus 1/2 ironman, November OS

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks for the reply! Are you racing Arizona in November? So awesome if you
    are. I am actually exiting the November OS late. Around March 1. No big
    deal I can easily manipulate this work no problem. I think the fitness will
    be pretty good. I wish I was responding to the bike training better, but it
    is coming around. I will be close to last years exiting FTP I think when I
    finish this last couple weeks. As you set up here I do want the first 70.3
    to be the A race so this will work perfectly. I did attach a few pictures
    from last year. I will touch base as the season progresses as I may want to
    upgrade to the coach EN level for a while as we head toward Arizona. Thanks
    again for the feedback.
  • Options

Yes, I am doing Arizona as well! It’s going to be an awesome weekend. I’m glad the progression is working well for you, and do not worry about the bike. It does not always respond in a linear fashion. Let’s see what we can make of it after a few more weeks as you settle In. Keep me posted