no recent marathons

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years

no recent half-marathons

Your Strongest Discipline *

Bike

Your Weakest Discipline *

Run

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

I used to be a fast runner; can't seem to get any speed back. Ran a 3:08 marathon but many years ago. Too much speed work and I seem get injured. Back when I first joined EN (October 2015), my first 5K test resulted in a two-week injury; have not done another stand-alone 5K since then.

Your Injury / Difficulty History *

Herniated cervical disc from 2015; results in back and neck issues if it flares up; most impacted by run; also by poor bike position (although that seems to have been fixed)

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

I need down time; several unstructured weeks throughout the season seem to suite me well

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

June 17 - Maumee Bay Triathlon; hoping to go under 60' for the bike leg

Sep 10 - Ironman 70.3 World Championship (Chattanooga)

Oct 15 - would like to qualify for Kona

Comments

• Options
    2/15/17 Call Notes

Great to talk with you the other week. Thanks for being forgiving with my vacation schedule / school break!  

Long term goal is to qualify for Kona at IMLOU, where you were 3rd last year (going back to IMLouisville). 

Last year you went 10:48 in 2016…10:35 was winning time. All things being equal, our goal is to train you to the fitness of a 10:30 finish. Race Notes:

• Ran a 4:03 marathon at IMLou 2016. 
    • Can swim 5 minutes faster, 
    • Can bike 20’ faster on IMLou (does he want to?). 

General Training Notes: 

You do better with a few built-in weeks to recharge (took 4 in 2016) and there are 4-5 this year. Let’s keep that rolling for sure. Out of curiosity, I’d like to know what a “down” week looks like for you. 

For strength, you are doing the EN strength protocol…for now, including the stretch cords. Since you are at the Y during the week, I’d like you to incorporate a short strength session after you swim workouts (see below).

Training Specifics:

The Swim…Your one day of Swim Drills right now is perfect, you have Swim Camp coming up as of 4/10, so we’ll go nuts then. For now keep it simple.

As for the Bike…I know you mentioned wanting to focus on the bike vs the Run on the OS, and there’s that goal of breaking an hour on the 40k by 6/4. Since you just rolled into the OS and have spiked your weekly TSS, I am not interested in getting to aggressive too early. I suggest you roll through the first 8 weeks as planned. When we get to Week 9 (2/27), you should roll out the 5-Minute-Hack for VO2 on the Bike. You can read about it here: http://bit.ly/2mv9OT5  — Basically this will replace your Thursday session; where you will target that “desired end state FTP” — so If I am at 200 and I want 240 by the end of the OS, I starting with 4’ intervals at or as close to 240 as I can. The goal is to build up time “at” that number, cumulatively. It’s very effective. Total ride time should match what’s planned in the OS.

The Run…You can manage the weekly running volume (even with work travel) so we want to keep that progressing steadily through the OutSeason®. We discussed adjusting the OS down without run intensity after your November “flare up” — I have zero problem with you running intentionally fast in the OS, but I will want you to challenge yourself. 

#1 - Sit at about 30 miles per week in the OS. It will be tempting to do more, but you don’t need to. You’re already running so much more than 2016, so I am good with that.

#2 - Work in some rolling hills if you can to challenge your body (vs faster running). Nothing massive (thinking 3% to 5% grades) just good terrain changes…this would ideally be your Mid-Week Wednesday run(s).

#3 - Add in some stair climbing. These can be real stairs or it can be the Stairmaster at the gym. We can start small…think a 15’ session as 1’ real climb, 1’ recover (walk down or short steps). Warmed up, you can do a few repeats of bigger steps (two to three at a time) focusing on using you glutes and quads; if you are on the Stairmaster let your foot go down more to the bottom to have a slightly exaggerated step vs the super tiny steps).

Question

You asked me “How can we determine run zones without 5k test?”

I’m not really worries about the testing at this point. Success is consistent running / consistent TSS. You’ll see your paces improve over time as you adapt to the OS, and that is fitness happening. When we get into the Get Faster plan, we could consider a time-trial session where we have you dial in a set distance (for time) or a set time (for distance) as a weekly mini-test…but let’s wait on that for right now. 

Future Notes: 

You want to be more aggressive on the bike on race day to reflect your fitness and performance goal at IMLou. You have earned the right, but I still want to “test” that in your race rehearsals and perhaps at 70.3® worlds if you are game (let’s see). 

Your Homework:

You can post these here in your reply. If that doesn’t work you can email them to this address: ppisaj2s@incoming.intercom.io

• Bike Photo
    • Run Photo

Strength Routine I presume you are warmed up from the swim. You'll do these super set style...so one right after the other as able in the gym. At first this will be a circuit...just 1 set of each exercise straight thru...but after 4 weeks you should be able to do Set 1 x 2, then Set 2 x 2, etc. No more than twice through each.

Super Set 1:

Super Set 2:

Super Set 3: 

• Options
    Hello Coach P: I e-mailed the requested info and scheduled our call for next week.  That strength routine is excellent, very challenging to get through.  The bike hack is great: I've also done a few 12x1' sets this OS.  Still pushing power way above the expected range ... 1.7x for the 30" crush (see March 9 WKO in TP) ... 1.5x for the 1' sprint (see March 16 WKO) ... starting to feel the accrued fatigue though so I'd like to discuss ideal run/bike balance for the next several weeks leading into BRC
  • Options

Hello Coach P – I’ve finally pulled together the pictures and run videos that we talked about on our last call.

There are two run videos on YouTube – unfortunately they have a zoomed-in camera angle. My friend Jay somehow pushed the zoom button – here’s a video of me giving him instructions:

https://youtu.be/Kn-o4r0suz8

Anyway, the first clip is a front-angle shot where I’m running at 7.0 mph with a 1.0% grade. The second clip is a side-angle shot.

https://youtu.be/d66uibjzSMc

https://youtu.be/JbP84VX50hA

Regards,

Paul-

• Options
    @Paul Curtin

Another great call today. I really appreciate the level of detail you bring to the table...it makes for fun conversation and a great challenge!  Let's get this party started...

1. Yes to continuing Elite*EN. We can work that out after next month...the logistics are still pending, but it's game on. 

2. I wanted to check back with you on the Strength stuff mentioned ^above^ -- I forgot to close that loop with you but I think you will benefit if we can make it work. I bring it up as your run "load" is kind of topping out on your PMC (see video below), so there is room to work it in. Let me know.

3. For your schedule, April 10ths is your Rest week. Moving forward, I like the idea of every 6th week being your down week...is that something you'd be willing to plan around? Five weeks is enough time to do "work" and see the results (so it works for me!).  :D

4. As for info per discipline, my thoughts are:
    • The Swim - Nothing special here...I am unconcerned. 

• The Bike - I really want you to keep those 110% intervals up. I'd like you to stare at 300W on the dial for a while. It'll hurt, but if we are going to boost that FTP, this is the place. Here's a chart below showing what I mean.

Also, time to start working on the aerobar time is coming up...let's make that spacer adjustment to ease into it, looking to go "full aero" after six weeks of that. And let's bring those pads back a bit. We want the elbows to be below your shoulder. 

• The Run - I am really excited for your run. I know you are itching for some speed, but let's see how the Half Marathon goes...I think you are fitter there than you think. For that Half Marathon, I want you to pace it 3 / 6 / 3 using the Half Marathon time you think you can run..or you can play with your vDOT and the 1/2 marathon predictor on this page.

As I mentioned on the call...hills still for now we are not in rush for the speed just yet. I'd like to see a few solid 30-35mpw weeks...maybe in your next 5 week block, and then we go from there.

5. Data Review...I dove into your TP.com data...this is what I saw:

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/fm8kdofauj?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoWidth=550

6. Short Term Training Notes: 
    • Yes to Swim Camp...you'll enjoy it. 
    • And I agree on pushing the swim early for BRC week, then run short when you can. It's all about the bike...so don't lose sight of having FUN down there. 
    Good luck for the final weeks of the OS!

~ Coach P

• Options

Good advice on skipping the bike test, thank you Coach P.  Given that I travelled Thursday an FTP test likely wouldn’t have gone well.  Still got in a great WKO – 5 x 4’ ladders; last set was at 310 watts with HR cresting into zone 5 (above 164)

https://www.strava.com/activities/932155790

• Options

Dang Coach P, you were right once again: I was very surprised at my run fitness.  Went into the half-marathon thinking I would do about 1:42:00 given these data points:

• Mostly Zone 1 running since November primarily focused on higher cadence at low HR
    • No real speed work other than 1 or 2 runs into Zone 3
    • Only four (4) miles total faster than 8 min/mile (since November 7, 2016)
    • Only about 12 miles total faster than 9 min/mile (it was all really really slow stuff)
    • The only meaningful benchmark time was Muncie last year at 1:45:00

Well, I went a heck of a lot faster at 1:35:55 (official time).  Here’s the Strava file:

https://www.strava.com/activities/934843560

Some points on the race:

• Focused on HR and cadence for the first 3 miles; it stayed low
    • Picked up the pace at mile 4 and tried to keep HR under 160 BPM for as long as possible
    • Hit mile 10 and was still feeling a good stride so I kept it going
    • Did the last mile under 7 min/mile
    • Average stride rate was 188
    • Thanks for reminding me about the EN half-marathon pacing protocol ... I think I nailed it!

On our next call let's chat again about speed work.  My current thinking is ... if the current durability-focused plan is working why introduce the added injury risk that comes with intervals

• Options
    @Paul Curtin - GREAT RACE! That's frickin' textbook...might have to use it in a blog post...you okay with that? 

Looking forward to the next call...

Ps when you have time I'd appreciate some feedback Elite*EN via this survey. This is a free 3-month pilot before we roll it out to select parts of the Team (Year 3+ folks) as a paid service. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hello Coach P - yes, it's okay to use that info in a blog post
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin

Thanks for the call today, great to catch up...I really enjoy your detailed questions. 

So here's some of what we covered today:

• Good half marathon, I can use in a blog post...Thanks!  :smile:
    • How to handle the run speed development if faster is not the key.  Part of it is the consistency. Every week you add on is another massive step forward. Short Term - You can begin to challenge yourself with rolling terrain at those established paces now.  Long Term - You can focus on some negative split stuff when the runs get longer than 90 minutes...I don't care what pace you run for the 90 minutes, picking it up in the last 15' or 20' is going to be harder and great race prep. There is an option to hit the gym, but let's save that for the OutSeason®!
    • Swim coming around. You are making great strides here...continue with that "test 3 x 100" set as you see fit. It won't always go down, but it will be a confidence booster for you. Short swim sets for now. If you want to break it up with a 500 sooner rather than later, you can do that with a pull buoy and hand paddles so you get that same great form over a longer distance. That could be done 1x every 3 to 4 swim sessions. 
    • You are in for Elite EN moving forward. Fantastic!! That's a separate subscription over on the right sidebar of the Main Elite*EN page here. Set that up when you are ready and we can keep this going!!!
    Let me know if I missed anything!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @PatrickMcCrann --

We're set for our next Elite*EN call on Thursday July 13.  I've put together an agenda to guide the discussion.  Here's the document:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZViAAylBoOi5CpXOTX0Iz-JFmR67PH_3C4V8Y0x40Y4

Please let me know if you can review this information before our call -- looking forward to speaking!
    Paul-
  • Options
    Not sure if the PatrickMcCrann tag works ... so adding @Coach Patrick
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - Another great call, here is the link to your agenda so we don't lose sight of it. 

Here are my specific thoughts for you, in no particular order: 

Swimming - Still no more than 200 yds is okay, especially as you work in the new technique. My only edit for the next month is making that fourth swim a bit longer, as in about a 25' minute pull set. So you can get in, warm up with a few drills, etc., call it 5' to 10', then do the pull set with a buoy or lava pants. Will be nice to track that time and to start the process of building up your swim endurance in a "friendly" manner. 

Biking - As you start to go longer, we can't get too greedy. We can keep the VO2 stuff through Labor Day at which point volume is more of a priority. So we need to bridge to that point. We talked about two types of weeks. You should consider alternating weeks or using them to manage your travel schedule and allow for recovery.

Four Bike Week: 

• Tue - Bike Smash
    • Wed - Medium Long Run of about 10 miles.
    • Thu - Bike Smash
    • Sat - Bike 3-4 hours, all Zone 1 to 2. 
    • Sun - ABP Ride, dialed in at 85%, really solid here. Run 1 hour TRP off this bike to complement the mid-week run. 
    Three Bike Week: 
    • Tue - Run Interval
    • Wed - Bike Smash 
    • Thu - Tempo Run of about 8 miles...just faster than TRP pace (aka more Zone 2 after loosening up). 
    • Sat - Double ABP Bike 4 to 5 hours. Split in half, with a solid 30' break in the middle...warm up at start and after the break then ABP.  
    • Sun - Dedicated long run day. 

Running - 

That 10 mile long run is your anchor. I'd like to park you at that distance for the next few weeks and see if we can't watch the pace improve slightly OR watch the HR drop a bit. When we get into Mid August you'll need to go with more of the traditional split long run approach, but I am not worried about run volume as long as you are in the 30 to 35 miles per week range. 

The way we have you set up, you are kind of doing 2 x long run option (Wed or Thursday + Sunday). 

Future

Start planning ahead...Labor Day = Big Bike Week - dial run down labor day weekend. 

Let's stay in touch!

~ Coach P 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick -- we're set for our call Thursday at 9:45 a.m.

Here's the link to the agenda and objectives:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/19nDiNXZT-qgJlwhEjoUXyMWwONGqsvSSo0C8hnwBBV0/edit?usp=sharing

Looking forward to our discussion!
    Paul
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick -- that was a great discussion last week, thanks for the continued outstanding guidance.  Forgot to ask you about "big picture" focus areas over the next 6 weeks, specifically the run:

I think putting less emphasis on the run would serve me well.  With the 70.3 WC this coming weekend, there are two remaining opportunities for long runs (Week 16 and Week 17)

At this point long runs seem more important than banking 40+ miles each week.  Take a look at the planned Week 16 in TP ... there's no way I'll get six (6) runs in that week ... would like your input on this please ... do I need to keep pushing the durability component of running?
    Thank you
    Paul
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - I enjoyed it as well...thank you for being so "on it" and "into it" ... Really a joy as a coach for me to work with you. 

I had some some notes to add, and I will put them below. 

First, your question. I recorded this video for you where I discuss how to break down weeks 16, 17 and 18 in your program into two "long" runs per week - a 10 miler and the long run as scheduled. The goal is to focus on long runs that are challenging physically without overwhelming you.

I am a big fan of doing long runs at race pace off the bike... The challenge is making sure we can fit that in by modifying the Sunday ride in by adjusting Monday accordingly to allow for rest. 

Here is a link to watch that screen cast: https://goo.gl/wRc2mC 

My Follow Up Notes from our Call

Swim - Maintain 10k through race week. This will help you stay swim fit and really reduce the mental cost of the swim...keep it up!

Bike - Want to make sure you are comfortable with Race Target Watts, but ok with riding 10% to 20% harder up hills...then returning right to race effort. Speed at IMLOU is all in the last 32 miles...so we want you fast but still strong enough to keep up the effort on those longer rollers. Don't forget doing some "lower cadence" work in the aerobats btw 80 and 85 RPM...say 6 repeats of 10' on, 10' normal cadence as part of your longer rides.  Real confidence building stuff. 

Run - No additional intensity, and even cutting down to 4 runs is okay:  

• Brick off FTP Ride
    • Mid Week 10 miler
    • Brick off Sat Ride
    • Sunday Long Run post bike (unless you are moving bike to mid-week and shortening it, as I recommend for Week 17 super long run). 

Race Rehearsal - do the 215 NP and get really comfortable in that zone. Let me know what that gets you for speed! As for the second ride, only worry about hitting 56 miles. Quality here, not just indiscriminate volume!

In terms of 70.3® Worlds... I think a target of 250 (after you settle in a bit) is good for 70.3® worlds….push the hill to Lookout up to 290 watts as needed (Lookout Mountain) and then keep the effort up for the rest of the ride as best you can at 250. You are going to FLY!
  • Options
    Hello @Coach Patrick -- we're set for our next call tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. (Tuesday, September 12).  It should be a brief call, as the main objective is to re-plan the next 2 weeks based on the 70.3 Worlds race.  We'll also debrief on the race.  A few points from the race:
    • Swim time was 37 minutes or so, slower than expected but I've got 5 weeks to keep improving
    • Bike power plan seemed to be appropriate:  I managed 234 AP and 248 NP for the 56 miles
    • Run was slow at the start but I somehow found another gear at mile 6 and finished strong
    • Nutrition was great -- everything I did worked well
    • Transitions were good -- I was much faster than normal
    Bike power and heart rate were steady throughout.  Laps 2, 3, and 4 were above average but those were the hills.  Lap 5 had the screaming downhill so that likely spiked the overall VI.  Laps 10 and 11 were strong with no loss of power and no significant spike in HR.  From the TP analysis:

• Options
    @Coach Patrick -- I just updated this week's schedule in TP.  It shows what I'd "like" to do; whether my body allows me to do that may be another thing
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick -- I recall a message saying the Elite*EN program would be revamped for 2018.  Is that still in the works ... and what do you recommend for me for the final build to Kona?
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin yes, it's the Coach*EN level of service that gets you access to me on a monthly basis and help with the build up, etc. You can edit your subscription for CoachEN level on our account page...

Manage My Account

Let me know when you are ready!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I'm ready @Coach Patrick!

July 29 is my renewal date so I'll activate it Sunday morning.  I'll also add Final Surge so you can load the proper Kona plan.  I created an account with Final Surge today ... it's under my e-mail pcurtin@woh.rr.com
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - I see you upgraded your account, etc. want to make sure you have all the access tou
    need. Keep those workouts rolling in!!!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick -- I'm good on access.  Getting the WKOs from Final Surge is fine, thanks

Did the AG Nationals race on Saturday.  If I had to write a one-word race report, it would be "meh".  I'm over it already, and now on to Kona prep.  There are seven (7) weeks that matter before the taper starts

This week (Aug 13-19) is another low volume week with business travel and then a NY trip for my sister's wedding

We're scheduled to talk on Tuesday, August 21.  I'd like to discuss the final six weeks of Kona build
  • Options
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1MM_pckPxpRuz9ZBN68DslGOkOVtdJIjffrwlEdm2MeI/edit?usp=sharing

@Coach Patrick -- here's the deck for today's discussion.  The agenda is pretty straightforward: figure out how to best structure these last six weeks
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2018 11:02AM
    @Coach Patrick -- thanks for the valuable insight; today's discussion was excellent.  Key takeaways for me:
    • No need to overdo the swim; Pink Mist instead of Red Mist is okay
    • Keep midweek bike quality workouts in place; don't go into "Inside/Out" mode on weekend rides
    • No urgent need to get to 5-hour rides; it's still August
    • Okay to ramp run miles to 35
    • <edited to add> Work on run form; include hill work
    Paul-
  • Options

Hello @Coach Patrick -- key takeaways from last week:

-- Logged 33 run miles; spend a TON of time working on form (pose, fall, lift ... with forward lean)

-- Dropped the Sunday ABP ride in favor of another run and another 3K swim

-- Went for bike fit adjustment; thigh was hitting ribcage; I can get lower in the bars now; ordered 165mm cranks (currently have 170)

-- Cut back on social media: took all Stava WKOs private; give up on the EN GroupMe banter

-- Current week plan is loaded into TP

• Options

@Coach Patrick -- Kona Week 14 was another good week:

• Run form (pose-fall-lift) is starting to come together. It feels great a faster speeds but I've got to keep the same form at IM run pace
    • The 165mm cranks have helped my bike position immensely; feeling much more comfortable in the aero position
    • People noticed that I stopped posting to Strava; I switched back to public for all WKOs

I need help for this week; not sure I'm going to get in the Race Rehearsal. I have to travel to Buffalo to explore different nursing facilities for my mom. Should be back Thursday night but won't have the oomph to ride long Friday

Should I postpone the entire RR set one weekend? Or maybe do Friday's workout on Saturday, drop Saturday's WKO, and run long as planned on Sunday?

• Options

Hello @Coach Patrick -- for our Wednesday call I need help to get back on track after an injury last week. I fell while running on trails and landed very hard on hip and shoulder. Haven't been able to swim or run, only biking for 1-2 hour sessions. I saw doctor on Friday and have another appointment today to try and get into PT

At this writing I feel much better after lots of rest. So assuming I can resume training today I need your input on how to plan out the remaining three weeks of the Kona build

• Options

ERG. OK, we can do this. I’m sending a speedy recovery vibes. Sorry I missed your message earlier if I don’t answer in due time, you should just text me. These final weeks to come in or are super overload time.

i’ll be on the lookout for anything else you sent over before the call.

• Options

@Paul Curtin - edits made to TP.com. I say we drop the ABP ride this Sunday (See my warm up ride this sunday) and I dialed back next sunday and gave you the following monday OFF to recover.

At this point we are usually sharpening but you and I need to balance that with you being healthy as well!!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach Po

This discussion has been closed.