Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Tony Ledden Official Coach Thread

edited September 22, 2017 8:48PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
@Tony Ledden

Hey! Here's your personal Micro Thread, as promised. As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away! 

You recently mentioned the back injury; no worries. I'd appreciate any specifics you have, as well as info if you can do the bike while you are out of commission for your back!

Let's do this...

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Hurt the back Tuesday 3/28 while lifting my Greater Swiss Mountain Dog out of the truck. Getting treatment on it today (Chiropractic).  Been icing + Advil. We'll see if I can do the bike on Saturday.
  • Options
    Because of my back injury, I missed the Wednesday propulsion drill swim, Thursday run and Friday 1000 yd time trial.  I'm feeling better today and did the 1 hour bike on the trainer. Hopefully will run on Sunday. I'm finishing up swim camp week 2 and will load up HIM plan Sunday.  There are no issues with the disc in the lower back as there is no pain down the leg; just pulled muscle/strained ligaments in the lower back. Ice, heat and Advil have helped immensely. Looking to invest more time in the core strength training and stretching from here on out, and take stretch breaks away from my sitting at my desk every hour.
  • Options
    Ran an hour today. Back is not a 100% yet and pace was slow, but it was good to turn over the legs and not make the back worse.
  • Options
    Tony, I turn off the computer for a few days and WHAAAAAAAAAA!  :angry:

I am so sorry you got hurt with your pups no less. Sounds like you and @Laura Becker Might have shared giant puppy fetish. Continue to take it easy...esp with the runs. I am confident your fitness will get you back on track, but sounds like you need to really be careful with the lifts and focus on your core stuff. 

Or you could focus on NOT being this guy:

• Options
    Back was a little dicey this morning but was able to loosen it up and completed the split long run today! For the "Big Day", I need to do it in pieces tomorrow. Early am bike and run, then late morning swim. Kinda backwards I know, but at least the swim well help with recovery after bike and run. Also, I'll be on the trainer for the 3 hour bike.
  • Options
    Got through the Big Day with no injuries!!  Back doing better -- 80 - 90% Looking forward to Sunday as a day off!
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - YOU DESERVED IT! But, how did monday feel?   :mrgreen:

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Took the Bike test today. Back on 2/28 my VO2 max was 282 and FTP was 244.  Today VO2 was 266 and FTP was 233. Not sure why the decrease, but likely a combination of tiredness (late night early testing), diet (limiting CHO to under 100 grams) and limited biking the past few weeks (swim camp, back issues, stuck on the trainer). I'll be reviewing the Wiki and forums on how I can get the power back.
  • Options
    Did the run test today on a treadmill at 0.5 incline. ran a 5k in 22:47. Avg HR was 154, which is exactly 10 beats higher than the avg HR from the bike test. These HR values as well as the power from the bike seem low to me -- they both should be at least 10 beats higher. Maybe a combination of tiredness, stress at work as well as diet in order to get to racing weight has impacted the tests this week.  One thing for sure is that I need to do more strength work.
  • Options
    Need to move mt workouts around to accommodate Easter.  I'm taking off of work on Friday and am planning on moving the Saturday workouts to Friday: I'll do the swim test, then 30 min run, then 3 hour bike on the trainer.  Then will do the Sunday workout on Saturday.  So another "Big Day" on Friday.
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden-

I agree with you, it sounds like fatigue is a problem. If you notice is suppressed heart rate and experience it on both the bike and the run, that has to be it. Sounds like he might need a few days of downtime… Or perhaps the Easter holiday has come just in time! :-)

I hope your big day went really well today. We had great weather up here in Rhode Island. Don't worry too much about tomorrow's session, just write it as you feel. You might need more rest than you think, and I'd much rather have you rest now and have to try and fix you closer to your race. Make sense?

No words, if you told me you weren't going to train again after today until Monday,  I would be fine with that. 

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Thank you Coach P!  Yes, my HR on the run test this past Thursday was also down.  I've updated the training zones for the run. I finished the workout today - - again on the trainer (2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today -- I had to switch the days but did do the runs as planned).  Definitely looking forward to taking Easter as a day off!.  Will listen to the body re: fatigue and not push it too much the next couple of days.  Now that the back is 100%, I don't want to break down again.

FYI -- from the Friday swim test, my avg / 100 time is 1:57 / 100.

I'm hoping to finally be able to get outside next weekend.

Thank you for checking in!
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - I hope you enjoyed some rest with the Easter Bunny (Rester Bunny for you!). 

Now, to proceed with intent, so as to allow recovery and adaptation...it's this last bit that will help you continue to improve this season!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Feeling a little more pop in the legs on teh Tuesday run and less winded on the Tuesday swim after taking Sunday off and just doing the swim yesterday. On week 13 of the HIM Intermediate and ramping up the bike. Looking forward to finally getting outside!
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - outdoors is game changing!!!

Dang thing practically rides itself!

• Options
    Unfortunately, I was stuck inside again this weekend -- long story, but basically comes down to balancing work/family/life. I had to cut the 210 minute ride down to 180 minutes. Please let me know if I need to tack 30 minutes on to a ride in the upcoming week.  I'm heading into week 14 of the HIM Intermediate program and I see another 210 minute ride (hopefully outside on Saturday!!). So let me know if I'm OK with the shortened ride this past weekend or if I need to add 30 minutes somewhere in week 14. Thanks!
  • Options
    Tony, not at all. Don't underestimate the "cost" of those indoor workouts either...they are H-A-R-D to do. Three hours is plenty!

Always ok if you shorten. Note, if you see a shorter ride in the future, just plan it to pick it up a bit at the end. 

For example, I new I couldn't go 2 hours this Sunday (had to stop at 1:50 mark) so I rode the miles 30 to 35 pretty dang hard before a cool down:

• Options
    Hi Coach P: I'm in week 15 of the HIM Intermediate gearing up for for Wisconsin 70.3 on June 11. Right near the end of my long run today, with 0.6 miles to go before I got home, discomfort in my left adductor started to come on.  I guess I was pushing the pace a bit on that last mile and the adductor started to talk back. I can walk and stretch, but as the day progresses and as I work seated at the desk, it is tightening up. Hopefully it quiets down by the Sat RR. I'll be reviewing the medical issues forum for similar injuries.  I haven't tested out swimming or biking yet, but when I try to jog a bit while walking the dog, I definitely do feel it. If it doesn't improve, I'll need to cut back the running and perhaps do the elliptical in place of running and/or pool running.  But this just happened about 4 hours ago, so hopefully the adductor calms itself.  Haven't done ice yet, but may do that this evening when I get home.
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - I home things have calmed down. But if you are wary, just bike it out, no run on the RR. 

Adductor usually takes over if the hip flexors / hamstrings aren't happy...so try to stretch those out if you can!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Completed a "modified" RR #1. After the swim, I immediately ran on the treadmill for 60 minutes. Felt the adductor, but not painful -- just tight/sore. As long as I kept a very slow pace -- 10:00 - 10:45 min miles, it felt OK.  I think the softer surface of the treadmill helped tremendously.  Then I drove home to do the bike on the trainer.  It was in the low 40s this morning with a brisk breeze here in Chicago and I just wasn't ready for dealing with that. So rode 51 miles on the trainer in 3:30 before calling it quits.  Adductor is holding up as I'm seated at the desk getting caught up with work.  For the week 18 RR, I'll create a RR plan on the Race Reports forum, debrief, track the nutrition better, and take it outside with the goal of simulating a real race as much as possible.  Making sure to stretch and Rumble Roll the hips and hammies.
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - great update! I would recommend not sitting for too long at work (that can tighten things up) and continue the smart warm ups. 

If we can keep you on the treadmill for now / longer, the better off you'll be...only thing we'll have to "hack" is what should your nutrition be if you are outside vs on the Tmill or Trainer!

I'll keep my eyes open...
  • Options
    So the Wisconsin 70.3 is only 3 weeks away and I've been outside a total of 2x.  Stuck on the trainer again tomorrow for 2.5 hours since there will be thunderstorms all day tomorrow. Will try to get out on Sunday since weather is supposed to clear. Today I did a 3.5 hour bike on trainer followed by 30 min run. Then about 5 hours later did the RR swim. Good news is that my swim time has gone down from 2:05/100 in week 15 to 1:58/100 today. But I'm getting worried about not being able to get outside on the bike since last time I was out for 3.5 hours I really felt it in the legs.  Also, I haven't been good about the strength. Do you think I should try to make time for that this close to the race?
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden - do any additional strength can't hurt. But it likely won't do a ton for you so don't force it. Just get a couple of the planks in and and do your best.

Don't worry about riding outside. It's not like you have forgotten how to ride a bike exhibition point and also, all of your fellow racers are in the same boat… Or at least most of them are. 

And honestly, the outdoor rides will come back to you pretty quickly. Hopefully this weekend the weather will be better, and you will have the chance to get out both Saturday and Sunday.

At this point I'm not so much worried about the work you'll be doing as I am about you fueling an outdoor ride of that duration. Indoor versus outdoor nutrition is always different, and it usually takes a few tries to get it right as well as you did last year. so pay attention to that first. 

~ Coach P
  • Options
    My 70.3 race is June 11 (Wisconsin 70.3) and I'm looking at week #20 of my HIM Intermediate plan (race week). I'll be heading up to Madison Friday morning and was planning to ride part of the course.  So I was thinking of taking the 45 min bike from Thursday and add it to the 30 min bike on Friday + the 30 min run and do 105 min on the bike Friday morning. Then do athlete check in and then do the 30 min swim after on Friday afternoon.  Saturday would be the 20 min run.  Do these adjustments to the taper/race week make sense to you?  I haven't seen the Wisconsin 70.3 course before and would like to ride at least part of it before the race.

Regarding this weekend's RR, Friday's weather (tomorrow) is looking better than Saturday's so planning on the swim/bike/run RR tomorrow (outside on the bike -- yeah!!) and the Friday swim on Saturday.

Working on the RR and final race plan and goals later today and this weekend.

Thanks for all your direction and coaching in getting me this far!
  • Options
    @Tony Ledden -  thanks for checking in!

I would call it an hour total riding on that Friday. This means you, your bike, in the car.

Either post the course to the forms and ask for feedback on what the most critical part store, or do it yourself. The point being you want to use your car as a tool to get out and just ride one or two of the key elements of the course, and then drive the rest. We give it as a bike ride/lunch trip. I would consider the swim 100% optional, not required at all and likely a logistical pain in the ass. 

That's fantastic you're getting outside, enjoy it! It's good for the mind and the body.  
  • Options
    Hi Coach P!  it is race week for me this week. I posted my Wisconsin 70.3 RP in the Race / Training Report forum Feel free to take a look and/or move the appropriate forum if I have it int he wrong place. Even though I sketched out some time goals for the race, I am fully aware that I need to focus on the process and the 4 keys (I listened to the 4 keys talk again yesterday as well as a bunch of race week prep stuff posted in the haus).  I google earthed the bike course so decided not to ride it on Saturday.  Instead, I'll swim a bit Saturday morning and then head off to registration (haven't been in open water yet this season).  I may also add a swim to do in open water Thursday evening, but I need to travel about 60 minutes and pay $15 in order to do that.

Since this is the inaugural Wisconsin 70.3 race, I'll be sure to write a race report for the data base.
  • Options
    Done!! Thank you for pointing to do it, and thanks in advance for all of your information coming from the weekend. Happy anniversary!
  • Options
    Question on adjusting my plan for Thurs 6/15; Friday 6/16 and Saturday 6/17. I raced Wisconsin 70.3 on Sunday 6/11 and the soreness is finally subsiding. Only thing left to heal is some soreness in my left ankle.  There has been improvement each day since Monday. I'm on week 8 of the IM Intermediate plan. I have the Horrible Hilly ride on Saturday. From the web page at http://www.horriblyhilly.com/ride-details/:
    "The 200K option of the HHH offers 124.2 miles of riding. You’ll climb 40 significant rises, from 50-foot bumps to the 910-foot final climb, for a total of 10,700 feet of elevation gain."

I took Monday (day after the race) off, tried to do the bike LT test Tuesday but messed up the Garmin and didn't get a correct reading after suffering for an hour (I didn't manually override the autolap), and swam today. Since my ankle is about 80%, still some soreness, I was going to redo the bike test on Thursday, try to do the Friday hill repeat run if my ankle is near 100%, then drive to Verona, WI, and on Saturday do a run in the am at the hotel before the ride, then ride, and then do more of a recovery swim after the ride. We have the use of the pool at Blue Mounds State Park on Saturday.  Hopefully I finish early enough where I can still use the pool!

I'm thinking the Bike test on Thursday and a 124 mile ride with 10K feet of elevation gain will be a nice bike volume and intensity pop, especially after the 70.3, at this point in the IM training cycle.  Please let me know what you think.  I may do a swim on Friday (in addition to the Friday run), instead of on Saturday after the bike, knowing how I'll be feeling after that ride, which I'll be doing on my tri bike (my only bike) with compact gearing (50/34) and 28-12 in the back.

Thanks!

• Options
    @Tony Ledden  thank you for the update. I agree with you 100%. Putting all these sessions together in such close proximity will absolutely lead to a great fitness Bob. The trick is that the knife cuts both ways. We have to make sure you are not overdoing it and setting the stage for future problems regardless of your eventual training load. As such, I recommend you do the following…

First I say you take the Friday off. There's no point in getting in that run given what you did last week and what you hope to do on Saturday. 

Rest and recover so that you can get the big bay done in one fell swoop, in time to make the pool, on Saturday. You are really going to have to be spot on with your nutrition and early pacing as that ride will take its toll after your 70.3 experience. 

If for some reason you can't make it to the pool after the ride, don't worry. I hear that cold beer is also an excellent recovery tool. I'm kidding, but the point being that I don't want you to adjust your ride pacing of intensity something to try and make it to a pool. I'd rather you have a great ride that you enjoy that doesn't set you back. There's always time to summa little bit on Sunday if you really really really want to.

Can't wait to see the report and the pictures! 
  • Options
    Rode the Horrible Hilly on Saturday 6/17. Rode 119 miles; ride time was 8:49. Elapsed time was 11 hours. Total elevation gain was over 10K. Suffered a flat which slowed me up, and spent time at each of the 4 rest stops to apply lube/vaseline/chamois cream. Made friends with my old pal "Barlow" on the IMWI course -- there are a few parts of the Horrible that share the IMWI course. I saw 1 crash requiring an ambulance and 2 others requiring medical attention.  It was a hot and humid day. Overall it was a long day: epic, terrifying, brutal and horrible...
    I did a 30 min run before the ride, but couldn't get in the rest of the run or the swim afterwards (storms started to roll in and I was just too pooped out). Sorry about not having any pictures. I was running late at the beginning and at the end, just wanted to get out before the storms rolled in. Hopefully this ride qualifies as a "mid season bike pop"! Please feel free to move this post to the race reports if you think it would be useful there. It was a great opportunity to practice nutrition, ride hills and dial in ride a constant power on the climbs.