Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

12 Weeks Until IMLP - Training Wk April 30 - May 7

HOWDY AMAZING IM LAKE PLACID RACERS!!

Can you believe it?? HERE WE ARE! 12 weeks from the race! I am PUMPED to join you on this journey as your Race Captain! Please know I am HERE FOR YOU.  If you have questions, comments, concerns, need some venting time- whatever! SEND IT MY WAY! This week let’s get some of the administrative homework out of the way.

• View, Share, Read etc our IM Lake Placid Racing Page:  HERE

• On Social Media? Follow, Share, Spread the word about training with EN using #EN4Keys and tagging us on all platforms:

• Twitter - @teamen ---- Instagram - @teamendurancenation ------ Facebook - www.facebook.com/endurancenation

• Use email friend@endurancenation.us to get a friend to train with you and EN (they get 30 days FREE and you can earn referral bonuses)

• Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing IM Lake Placid to chime in on the weekly forums

• Our new and improved Forums are amazing so make sure you bookmark the threads to check in weekly!!  Check the box to follow the entire IM Lake Placid forum so you don't miss a single announcement

• Friend me on Facebook so that we can tag you in pictures and race recaps the week after your race on the EN page

• Your training hashtag is #EN4Keys and of course tag us if you wish, let’s tell the world!

Charge all your swim, bike and run electronics, tune up that bike, stretch out those legs and prepare that mental game and order the nutrition you need because we are about to dive head first into EN training.

Every Sunday night I will post the weekly forum with the training dates, some mojo, advice, admin notices and general EN awesomeness. Whether you're a veteran EN member or newbie, this is the magic of training with the team. We will keep each other motivated, have a place to talk about your daily training ups and downs, get questions answered, answer fellow teammates questions and make some friends along the way. The more everyone participates the more everyone will crush this race the Endurance Nation way!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page.  CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  

I will post highlights weekly. This week Coach Rich talks about the importance of the long ride and data tracking. Get to know yourself and what your needs are during these long rides. Track EVERYTHING!! The difference between a successful execution and an unsuccessful one is knowing what you need to execute.

Introduce yourself- let us know where you are from? Is this your first IM? Anything you wanna share about yourself. Because  WE ARE A TEAM and we want to support each other the best we can. So now let’s hear it, make some noise.... Any questions for the team?

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  InsideTracker

The InsideTracker platform analyses and tracks key biochemical and physiological markers as they change over time. InsideTracker uses sophisticated algorithms and large scientific databases to determine optimal zones for each user’s markers. InsideTracker’s expert system then provides science-driven lifestyle and nutrition interventions that empower people to optimize their markers. When optimized, these marker levels have been scientifically proven to increase vitality, improve performance and extend life.

CODE: ENDURANCENATION for 20% off - Check out Coach Patrick's start up review and feel free to ask any questions. I get tested every 6-8 weeks and LOVE how its helping me reach my goals! You can't measure what you don't know! Knowledge is Power! 

*** EN GEAR:  Make sure to check out our AMAZING store at Trisports! 

On your mark.... get set.... GO!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for kicking this off Mariah

This will be my 4th time in LP I believe, I'm 2-1.  The last one was in 2015 just under the wire 16:5X and I've created an spreadsheet with all my wishful time estimates.  So here they are with the caveat that I've learned not to push on the day of the race beyond my capabilities and it will be the two race rehearsals that drive my days ambitions.

Having said the above my goal for July 23rd is to go sub 14 hours.  This might look like 1:28 swim, 6:47 bike and a 5:27 run with 16' for transitions.  That gives me a whole 1' 30" buffer on the sub 14 hours. 

Beyond that I just completed a 1000M TT in 25:07 so I've got lots of work to do in the pool.  I came out of a successful JOS with a 238 FTP up from 208.  Stretching out the bike is always a challenge for me.  Finally the run, I've build up from 13' to 120' running over the last 16 weeks.  My goal is to just keep adding 15' each week which will get me 23-25 miles in the final couple weeks before taper. 

Today I got in 2300M at the pool and half of my 30' split run today.  I tend to break up several of my runs into and out of work which seems to help with the mileage build up.

Looking forward to training and racing with you all.

• Options
    @Mariah Bridges, thanks for starting this up.  Seems like I just saw you.  @Gordon Cherwoniak, off to a nice start.  Looking forward to watching you chase your goals.

I was lucky enough to once again go suffer/smile at BRC.  Knowing that I had LP training starting this week, I cut some of the rides a bit and kept the total weekend distance and elevation gain to 200 miles and 20,000 feet so as not to dig too deep of a hole.  It was a great way to gauge my fitness, both compared to how I felt/performed last year but also against some of the strongest AG triathletes in the country. Once the riding was done, most of the focus was on food, beverage and laughter.  But if you wanted to talk shop, there were limitless IM stories to be heard, which really pumped me up for LP.  This sport is so damn addictive.  I spent close to an hour chatting LP strategy with Coach P over coffee and beer (not at the same time).  The only thing that arguably topped that was driving Al to the airport in Charlotte, absorbing as much in the two hours of stories and (priceless) advice as I could. He's forgotten more about IM racing than I'll ever know.

As I embark on IM #10, the most important questions I ask myself are, why am I doing this and what do I want to get out of it?  The answers to those question determine what I will put into the next 12 weeks.  I am so excited to finally race LP with a huge contingent of great ENers and share it with my family.  But I won't be satisfied if I "just finish" or "just have fun."  So, I'm gonna race this one.  Which means I'm going to do a bunch of little things that go beyond following a written plan, including but certainly not limited to: I'll watch what I eat and drink meticulously, sleep will move ahead of other natural priorities, I'll probably spend $600 on massage in the next three months, core 3x per week, I'll watch a lot of TV (always while riding the trainer, doing one-legged run stability drills, pulling swim cords or in recovery boots), my bike will be set up as fast as nearly any bike on the course, my wetsuit and trisuit and helmet will be as fast as $ can buy, my tires will be new and expensive and full of latex at the perfect width and psi, and I'll have a well-rehearsed, detailed race plan going into July 23.  Yes, I will stumble along the way and do a few stupid things (it's in my DNA), but I'll try my best.

In terms of training/racing strategy:

Swim: In a perfect world, I would like to get my long intervals back down to the low 1:20s/100 yards.  If so, I know I will have more swim "watts" than 80-90% of the field, and I'll just use that power as a blunt weapon.  A club.  Not a ton of tactics here; just swim faster than almost everyone.  This will just require a lot of focused hard work in the pool.  The last four weeks of training need to be in the 15,000-20,000 yards per week neighborhood, with the "extra" swims being done in Lava Pants to reduce the stress and extreme boredom.

Bike: No blunt weapon here, that's for sure.  Get to at least 4.0 w/kg, get a handful of really solid rides of 80+ miles, maintain power during mid-week rides, then ride the course smarter than 95% of the field and make them come back to me during the second loop.  Big volume weeks in Wks 15 and 18 (or 7 and 10 if doing 1-12), with quite a bit of mid-week work being done in big gears and low cadence to build some hill strength.

Run: Use any advantage I get from ^^ to hang on for dear life and bury myself the last 6-8 miles.  I'll once again deviate a tiny bit from EN philosophy and take some calculated risks . . . again, only because of what I want to get out of this particular race.  Weekly mileage volume in the high 30s to low 40s until big-run weeks in Wks 14 and 16 of 47~ and 50~ miles.  Will incorporate hill work mid-week and at the end of select long runs, focusing on the downhill pounding as much as the uphill climbing.  Intensity drops dramatically (for me) as the volume goes up, with some of the volume coming in the form of short jogs at night after 5-7 miles in the morning.  

Pace, power and nutrition will be practiced frequently along the way, becoming ingrained as second nature.

And, as always, there's no such thing as a great finish to a DNS race.  My body ultimately dictates what I do or don't do on any particular training day, not what's written on a calendar entry.  I can guarantee that I'll skip at least a handful of workouts, if not entire workout days.  Which is a good thing.

Can't wait to hear from others as we begin this journey.  

MR
  • Options
    @Mike Roberts Your details made me delve further in to my spreadsheet which at the start of the OS has distance goals for the season.

My plan is to follow the prescribed workouts as much as possible trying to most of the workouts with an additional day off from work here or there when needed. 

Swim - 100,000M over the 12 weeks
    If I can get in 1-300M extra on each swim I'll do it. 

Bike - 1500 miles TBC
    The bike miles seem light but I'm not fast and I need to take a look at the later weeks in the plan.  I'm not certain of the amount of cycling time I'll have.  Here again if I can get in 5-10 minutes of additional z2 time per ride I'll take it.  Given I'm on the beginner plan I might even add in 30' if feeling great but don't want to cause problems with down stream workouts. 

Run - 165 miles

The run is was it is and I'll take what fitness I have in to the race and execute the best I can.  The last 6-10 miles will be a challenge but I won't get a 5:27 walking 15' miles for too long.
    Weight loss 2lb week, currently 233lbs.

Got in my 30' of running yesterday and 1/2 way to today's 25' total.  Bike is planned for after work, no test just a 2X13'(3'). 

• Options
    all really good stuff up there, I'm at work and not going to be as well thought out as @Mike Roberts is up there.

I am looking forward to my IM#8 and my 2nd time in LP. That said, I've ridden this course front & back a number of times and know it well. I will once again do a practice descending session on Thursday before the race to fully master the Keene Descent. 

Last year I went 10th in AG and had no idea that I was that far up until the finish, this year, my goal is to try and get to the top 5 and see where that plays out in the Kona roll. I am not ambitious enough to say I am going for the KQ, but we all know the goal. 

Like Mike, I am hyper focused on body comp from now until the race, I am not where i want to be and that requires a highly disciplined regimen, especially for the next 6 weeks to get ahead of things. Planning good fueling for long Wkos that will still provide me with the needed calorie deficit to lose the weight, but still fueling me to get the wko done strong.

I too just spent a chunk of last week at BRC Camp. I was only there for Weds - Sun, but got in what looks like similar volume to Mike. I had to return early and while my legs were trashed Saturday, I managed to get in 12 miles of sporadic running in Central Park while my daughter did her first Half-mary. Additionally, I shared a room with Al from tuesday - Saturday morning, as well as that same drive up to the mountains, not to mention that we stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so we should all be Uber smart after that camp!

I have been working meticulously on building my training regimen to move safely into the next 12 weeks. 

Swim - 
    goal is to be able to swim at least as fast as last year's PR of 1:09, To get there I am going to do 12,000 yards a week in 3 sessions along with 1 lesson with a coach every 2-4 weeks to stay on top of form. I also picked up a used Vasa trainer that I am putting at Jill's house so i can sneak in an extra 20-30' of quality swim strength on non-swim days(1-2x per week). Additionally, like Mike "be like mike," I am going to up the volume right before LP to compensate for the drop off in bike & Run

Bike -
    Just completed BRC, was planning on doing AmZof long course, but as of today, the race was cancelled due to construction on course. I will be doing as many 5+ hour rides as possible, Al Camp in June and a post 4th of July camp weekend including the big day of @Coach Patrick's new Berkshire Bash. Goal is to get to 275 watts, last year I peaked at 262 with a race day w/kg of 3.85. I plan on coming in slightly faster and 10lbs lighter, that should get me above 4.0 for the first time

Run - 
    last year, I was coming off of a herniated disc that i suffered in LP a year earlier, I was unable to run until February. This year I've run an average of almost 30 miles per week since November 1. I plan on building my run up to 40+miles per week for the last 8 weeks of the plan and continuing to build durability. 

Race Day - 
    for the first time, I am showing up and racing. I plan to be in my box and focused. I have low hanging fruit to pick off between now and then, primarily in body comp. My goal is to show up on race day with "no excuses," and execute to the best of my ability. 

Looking forward to some excellent mojo from the group we have at this race participating in this forum. 
  • Options
    @Scott DinhoferSolid goals Swim PR, 4.0 W/kg and 40+miles per week on the run coming in to LP.  Looking forward to following your training and this will set you up for a strong race on the 23rd of July.

2900M at the pool for me this morning.  I was an lazy and did not charge my Garmin and it died about 1/3rd of the way through todays workout.  Too bad as I need the whip to keep me on track as my 100's were all over the place, from 2:38 to 2:26.  T-pace is 2:31.  The 2:38 was more of an outlier as I was just relaxing and thinking about my technique.  Unfortunately I'm not too attuned to my new pool paces so not sure how good I did in that regard.
  • Options
    @Gordon look forward to seeing you again... Bring it!

@MR I like your entire plan... big surprise... the big picture layout is perfect... even the low cadence strength climbing!

@Scott focus and discipline will get you where you wanna be.... NO deviations from that until after IMLP!

This will be #2 IMLP... I'm not able to hit the structure I like to for this one but will hack it from here... Big winter going long, followed by way too much excess, starting from a lower point than I would prefer, add to that dental issues ongoing, and travel from AZ to NH via a stop in CO to train with Al and Dave puts me back in NH around June 1st.  That gives me 4 weeks of laser like focus on IM training, then I will take 1 week SOLO IMLP camp of nothing but train/eat/sleep on the IMLP course (mostly just doing laps on that bike course).... One more RR when back in NH and a 2 week taper... I know what I am capable of and will be aiming to go sub 10:25 (my first IMLP) and think a 10:15ish is possible , being in the bottom of my AG this should put me on the podium,  just gotta find some of that discipline to hit my training/body comp over the next 12 weeks....

Most importantly starting right now I am trying to wrap my head around racing another IM....  Having raced 3 running races in the last month I will be taking a break from racing until IMLP so that I can peak my desire to push myself to do what is necessary... This mostly pertains to the entire IM Marathon but encompasses about the last 1.5hrs on the bike...

• Options
    @Tim,

Thanks for joining.  So looking forward to racing with you again (although truthfully, I'll be happier to see Heather than you :) ).  I'm glad you chimed in about finish times.  Of course, we shouldn't race ourselves into a brick wall chasing a time, and conditions can wreck time plans in a hurry, but for those of us who have done a bunch of these, our swim and run times are in a pretty small window of possible finishes, with a slightly bigger window for the bike. And with rolling starts preventing true shoulder-to-shoulder racing, I like to set fuzzy time goals to chase.  I'm at the very gray/slow end of my AG, and last year the entire top-5 of 45-49 went sub-10.  Which is pretty staggering.  And, sadly, sub-10 math on this course doesn't add up for me.  If I were to race tomorrow (and were in shape), I think I'd shoot for something like :60/5:40/3:45.  I think all three are doable and, if I nail transitions, 10:30 is more than possible.  And that would me on the bubble for top 10, which would be awesome if the same level of AG talent shows up this year as did last year.

When you won your AG here, I remember you going something like 5:30 on the bike, which showed me just how slow the course is compared to others (I've seen you go sub-5 at TX and FL).  Assuming you went typical TC on the swim (low-60s), you probably ran 3:40 to get that 10:25? Can you go faster in the swim and/or run or do you plan to steal the entire 10 minutes of improvement from the bike?  Just curious to see where you think seconds can be grabbed on this course.

MR
  • Options
    @Mike,  I went almost 1:04 on the swim when I was seriously thinking IMLP would be my first 60min IM , I felt really sick at the start of that race, so I think I have2-3min in the swim.  Dont think I can possibly get anything out of the transitions.  I biked a 5:32 and that was with a 5min drafting penalty.  Best case scenario would be 5 minutes there.  The run was a 3:42 on a hot day (with 1 min in a porto-potty) ... So Maybe 2 min there = 10 overall minutes on a perfect day = 10:15.... Course I'm more worried about cold/rain/wind than heat/humidity at IMLP.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2017 6:48PM

It’s great to see all of your goal times - and a little depressing since I think Tim ages up to my AG this year :)  55 - 59.

I’ll be doing my second IMLP this year.  Two years ago was my first IM and first IMLP and went 11:12

Swim - The swim is my achilles heal and not much I can do there.  It takes so much time and effort to wittle down a minuet or two...Went 1:12 last time but getting faster each year so the goal this year is to break 1:10

Bike  - Went 5:49 last time and my FTP has gone up 20 watts to 285, so a 5:35 I think is reasonable - weather permitting.

Run - 4:01 last time.  My run has really gotten back on track with the EN OS.  Over the last few years my run has slowed down with triathlon training, so I’ve been really happy with my running this year and think I could maybe do a 3:45

Overall looking for 10:45ish.  There are a lot of strong 55-59ers this year and getting on the podium will be a challenge.  I think 10:45 will be close

Looking forward to chatting with you guys as we get closer!

• Options
    Another short run 20' and a 55' bike ride 2X13' @1.0 This morning.  Tomorrow's an off day with a big day on Saturday.

I've have an elbow pad on order with my LBS and if it's not in I'll be doing the bike ride on the trainer.  It say 180' then talks 4 hours so I'll shoot for the latter.  Too bad as it would have been good heat training, close to 80 high on Saturday.  We got snow a week or  so ago so a huge change in the last few days. 

• Options
    ok, finally got out for a long run yesterday, had taken off wednesday from running and the legs just popped along with cool weather - banged out a varied pace run that ended up at 8:000/mi for 12 miles! BAM!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/971363100

• Options
    ok, @tim cronk @Stephanie Stevens @Mike Weinmann @Mike Roberts @Danielle Santucci @Gordon Cherwoniak @Larry Pfeffer @Thom Reid @Jubal Dais @jpdavis @Alicia Chase @cmatczynski @Robert Sabo @Gonzalo Canteros Paz @Kirsten Surprenant @Trish Marshall @Woody Freese @Kristin Kandiel @Kevin Walter   and anyone else we can rope in,

The idea of this weekly thread is to post our WKOs, our successes, failures, etc.. grow and learn from each other as we do in the OS threads and build up that camradarie that we will share on the course in 11 1/2 weeks!!! Let's get this started!
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak, perhaps some good news for you . . . I'm 99.9% sure that the Big Day in the schedules for this Saturday is a typo.  Coach R is pretty consistent in putting the Big Day in Week 11 (or 3 if you're in a 1-12 plan), not 9/1.  Go to your plan, look two weeks from this Saturday, and you'll see "another" Big Day.  I'm definitely waiting two weeks to do it, as more of a RR for Raleigh in four weeks.

For me, the fatigue from last weekend finally seems to be shedding.  My run this morning almost felt normal.  If I can get in 35 miles of recovery running this week, 5 hours of cycling and 2+ of running, I'll be happy.  Massage this afternoon.  I predict tears.
  • Options
    I think you right about the big day tomorrow - good thing since the weather is a mess.
    Can anyone confirm that this is an error?
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this group.  

IMLP is my first full IM-distance race - I have done a number of short-distances and two HIMs.  Nevertheless, a full IM is huge leap forward for me.  So, my goals are simple:
    - Fully execute on my race plan,
    - Finish the swim with a relatively low HR
    - and ride 112 with enough discipline so that I can run the whole 26.2 miles and race the last eight miles

Swim: I'm an adult onset swimmer.  Last year, I swam a HIM course in 45 minutes. Hoping to break 1:25 at IMLP. So far in 2017, I have swum 100k yards, which is already an annual record for me. I am targeting to complete a total of 175k yards and ten private lessons before the race. 

Ride: I enjoy riding but am worried about pacing.  I'm planning to ride at ~70% of my FTP, with high-cadence (90) and low variability (VI of 1.04).  Whatever speed that results in will be fine with me.  

Run: I don't know what to expect given that this is my first IM and because of how hilly the IMLP course is.  I have been running half-marathons this winter at 8:05-8:20. So, I am targeting 9:30-9:45 at IMLP. 

Body comp:  I am planning to race at 163 lbs, which is basically my HS graduation weight.  I was 178 lbs when I signed up for this race last August.  I've lost 12 lbs and am now at 166 lbs.  Three more to go. 

Im looking forward to hearing how everyone's training goes this weekend. It will be a wet one here in the NE. 

• Options
    @Peter , Dont worry about me there are plenty of others to worry about :-) besides I wont be taking my slot if I am lucky enough to earn one!

@Scott , nice training run , make sure you save some of that for race day

@Patrick  amazing progress keep it up 

@Mike here is my bike file from 2015.... yes all those numbers like FTP, TSS , IF are correct
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/845725355
    reference my results from that year- I think its worthy to note I did not have the fastest split in any SBR legs or the T's and still came in 1st... Very unusual since most of my KQ's have had 1-2 fastest splits (usually in the T's :-) but it just goes to show steady and consistent performance across the board adds up!

What plan is everyone on?  I have the Advanced IM loaded which I will be following loosely and it shows a 4hr ride 30 min run on Saturday?

I'm still recovering from my EPIC monday!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/966970610

Hoping to get in about a 3hr ride and 30 min run on Saturday.... 90 min run Sunday
    Next week will be loosely unstructured as well, another damn dentist appt on thursday which I wont be able to train for 3-4 days afterwards, then we leave for our road trip East next Sunday...
  • Options
    I am on the Beginner IM schedule.  Need to get a 3k-yard swim in tonight, 30-minute run/3.5-hour ride tomorrow and a 2-hour ride on Sunday.  

It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I will be keeping it slow on my tri-bike.  
  • Options
    I think you right about the big day tomorrow - good thing since the weather is a mess.
    Can anyone confirm that this is an error?
    maybe we can get @Coach Patrickor @CoachR to confirm?

i for one have to make up a swim, so I am hoping to get it in tomorrow afternoon when two of my kids are in an ACT prep class. So i am planning a 1 hr bike (drive kids to LAX) 2 hr bike (drive kids home) 1 hr bike, then a 45' run and the swim :o
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2017 9:45PM
    @peter lautenslager @Scott Dinhofer @Mike Roberts @all Sorry I did not check in earlier as it's been crazy at work today but I hate to say that it is most likely not a typo.

See my micro thread where I asked this specific question about the big day or see the Q & A below with the bolded part being the answer.  There is an caveat "if you can get it done", but that's an affirmative on the big day in my books.   https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22902/gordon-cs-2017-micro#latest

Q) How should I structure week 1?  Wk 1 IM plan has testing which I'm going to skip.  I'll on the trainer mostly and will do a bike test in week 4.    Just do a carbon copy of week 2 or would you like to see the big day on Saturday - 60 swim, 180' bike 60' then Sunday off.  Wk 2 does have more bike volume?

A) Week One - Do it as planned just do 2 x 12' (3') @ Zone 4 for the bike WKO, and then run as you see fit instead of the test. Yes to the Big Day if you can get it done. It's a great gut check!

So gut check time for me tomorrow as my wife is out of town with our son.  I've got nothing planned until 4:30-5pm, ballgame and supper with my brother.  I've got no excuses.

• Options

You people with all your well thought out goals and plans for the race make me feel lazy :smiley:

I’m working the IM Full ADV plan with tweaks as needed.  I have a local annual OWS tomorrow so I got some of the Saturday bike in this AM.  Following Wednesday’s brick & the split run yesterday my legs are tender.

The cause of a new foot pain issue got diagnosed Monday and some arches & therapy have made subsequent runs better, so hopefully I can continue to improve.

@tim cronk  multiple days of dental recovery is only fair to allow the rest of us to catch up to you… 
  • Options
    I am on the beginner IM plan.  Here's what is posted on the first day of this week (week 9 of the EN*Full Beginner Plan ending on 7/23).  This suggests that the big weekends are on weeks 11, 15 and 18.  

"...Welcome to the Final Race Prep Phase! Here are some key events you will want to keep in mind over the next few weeks: 
    • Week 11 = Big Day of Swim, Bike & Run on that Saturday.
    • Week 15 = Camp Weekend / Race Rehearsal #1
    • Week 18 = Race Rehearsal #2 on Saturday"
    For tomorrow, this schedule lists a 30-minute run to be followed by a 3.5-hour ride.
  • Options
    I too have the beginner IM plan loaded up as it turn out we have 3 options.  The 20 week plan the 12 week version and the 12 week minimalist.  2 of those three have the big day.  The 20 week plan does not.  Seeing as I did no swim today I'll just follow the 12 week plan I have loaded up and get in a big day.  For the record the 12 week IM plan has the information which @Patrick Marsh listed above.

Others will get the run/bike Saturday and ABP on Sunday.  There's lots of work either way in both options.   Maybe I should have loaded up the 20 week plan but in the end it's all good.  I get an early big day, get a day off and have time to hang out with my brother Saturday with the off day Sunday. 

Sorry for any confusion just stick with whatever is on your plan and all will be good. 

• Options
    edited May 6, 2017 10:55AM
    Just found the thread and awed by the comments...My 5th IM...but first IMLP...and first after taking 2016 off of IM racing...feel like I'm in an odd place...coming in with some positives but at a different fitness starting point than with any of my prior IM's. 

So with week one facing me and thinking about the race...my goals are modest;

Swim - not my strong suite, never has been my best has been 1:17 in a wetsuit downriver at Louisville...Mostly I want to be consistent & hit more volume in my swim training than in prior run-ups...and take what the day gives me ...but hope expect to be around 1:20-1:25

Bike - I feel like I am the strongest I have ever been on the bike but my weight is up a bit so w/kg doesn't reflect best possible...I know some of that will come off over the next few weeks and will be happy to maintain my strenght and be above 3.5W/Kg through Race Prep....My goal for race prep is steady dose of Long Rides...and plan to get to NH for HILLS...multiple times and I have at least one trip planned to LP in Late June coinciding with final RR that I will camp up....I would be ecstatic with a sub6 ride on the bike...but history suggests 5:45-6:15....See how I feel a few weeks in here.

Run - I'm coming with my lowest run fitness ever for IM....I will have "strength"/Endurance...but my speed is disappointing...much a product of aging and some foot issues.  However; I have never run IM marathon anywhere close to my prior ability....and I have also never put alot of run volume into my prior preps because my run fitness was "higher"....so my goal here is to maximize steady higher volume in training...so while slower I will be able to "plod" through ..my goal remains 4hrs for the M.

so 1:30/6/4 is my target......I age up to the 56-60 AG this year too...Can't wait to get to the start line!
  • Options
    The weather could not be worse here in Upstate NY, cold, windy and rain.  Calling for snow Sunday and Monday...
    Ended up doing 3 hours on the Computrainer with a cold wet 1 hour run off the bike - I've only had 5 outside rides this year.  
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2017 4:16AM
    @Joseph LombardiSolid goals

My big day is in the book and yes it was a gut check

Swim 2350M with a 1000M TT 24:22 down from 25:07.  New t-pace of 2:26.  No complaints here.  30' transition from the pool to my house
    https://www.strava.com/activities/974125908http://

Bike - 4 hour 6' trainer ride. 30' @.62 180' @.68 then 30' .73 and 20' @.76.  The final 50' was .74 and I tried to push perhaps a little to hard, see the run.  Had a couple breaks, one at 2h to refill bottles and stretch and at 3hours just to stretch out again quickly.  Lost about 10'  TSS 188 right below the 186 goal with IF at .69 with .73 listed. I can live with this result

https://www.strava.com/activities/974126011

Run - Just held Z1 as HR crept up.  I tried to push it a few times but had nothing left.  60' was my longest run to day so in retrospect I maybe should have done 45. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/974126014  

Lessons learned
    Swim - actually swimming 3x a week helps.  I also bought fins this year as my kick is so poor this help with the drills
    Bike - I just struggle transitioning from OS to long distance.  I did a better job of getting in some 2 hour rides in the OS.  Need to be aero more prior to this point.  I was really good for 1 hour 20' then after 1 hour 40' I hit the aerobars 60% of the time.  Given I'm had all of about 20' in the aerobars this years that's not bad but it need's work going forward.
    Run - Given my volume going in this is just going to be tough be mentally ready to keep pushing

In general - get a list for the big day and plan a little more as I was still running around for a few things, forgot to take a gel to the pool, looking for sunscreen in transition to run.
    Edit - Stretching.  Woke up with a sore back. I got up 2 hours before the pool and had time to stretch.  This made me realize I've been neglecting many stretches.  I also need more core work which fell off in the os. 

• Options
    Good job yesterday @Gordon Cherwoniak
    @peter lautenslager - where upstate are you?
    went out early yesterday and got a 4 hr 68 miler on the tt bike https://www.strava.com/activities/973691956
    after dropping kids at an ACT class, got in a 4000 yard swim, long sets. https://www.strava.com/activities/974021653
    then yet later in the early evening got a healthy 5 mile run in, legs really popped to my surprise on this https://www.strava.com/activities/974171801

now on to sunday!!
  • Options
    Just wrapped up my weekend workouts.  

Saturday: Hilly 4-mile run followed by 62 miles on the bike (at just over 17 mph).  Climbed 4,472 feet.  Felt good on both workouts.  The day started off rainy and the roads were covered in mud and debris.  Sun came out as I finished. Focused on climbing the hills slowly and descending by driving my pedals.  My variability index (VI) was 1.04, which was the best I have been able to do this year.  

Sunday: Did a 2-hour ride.  I took a route that required a lot of climbing to get out of my town.  In total, there was 2,467 feet of ascent over 33 miles.  Then I ran a 3-miler, with descending miles.  Chilly morning here.  However, at least it was dry.  

Overall, a good week on the bike and running.  Unfortunately, travel, rain-delayed commutes, parenting, and 2-day swim tournament at my YMCA all contributed to me getting just 1.5 swims finished this week.  I need to get back on track with three swims this week.  Looking at our group's Strava data yesterday, I realize that my run mileage has been relatively light.  I need to work on that, and moving at quicker paces, over the next 77 days.    

Reading all the posts above, I feel honored to be among so many fast and experienced triathletes.  

Hope everyone has a good and safe Sunday.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!

This will be my 2nd attempt at IMLP. First was in 2013 and I didn't make the bike cutoff. I finished IMMT in 2014 and then the past 2 years I did a few sprints , worked through some knee and achilles injuries, and negatively impacted my body comp.  I'm using the 20 week beginner IM plan.

My goal for IMLP this year is to finish the bike course before the cutoff and then finish the race with a smile. Beating my IMMT time would be a fantastic bonus. 

This week was a bust for me. My super supportive husband had cold/flu last week so it was inevitable that I started the week feeling horrible/fever/no energy/ and took some sick time at work.  No swims, 1 short run, and 3 rides is what I have managed.  Now that I'm back to normal I'm looking forward to getting it done this week. 
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh - looks like we almost connected coming through mills & 22 south, i went counter-clockwise... 
  • Options
    Sitting in my "party pants" recovery boots as I type this. :smiley:
    Had a good first week of official IM training.  I was in Boone last weekend and grabbed 214 bike miles and 20500 ft of elevation gain in three days. This week was semi recovery mode.  

I've decided since I've been so lax in swimming and drinking enough water that May is water month.  Get in it, and drink enough!  So far so good.  3 swims happened.  

I didn't bike on Wednesday per Coach P's general post camp guidelines AND because I started to get sick (hacking cough mostly) the last day of camp.  Still coughing a LOT, but I think I am turning the corner.  

I did get the long run in on Thursday, ran Friday and Saturday and hit my zones.  I have a knee issue I was given inserts for on Monday as well as a new cleat placement  and so far so good.

Sadly, I spent 5.5 hours on the trainer this weekend because I just was not going outdoors in crappy cold weather with my cough.  Thank goodness for zwift is all I can say.  I did a sweet spot ride for 2:10, then the sweat test as scheduled yesterday with a really good feeling brick on the mill after.  Today was riding abp on the london loop.  

This season I am focusing on doing all I can in the moment.  Not smashing myself, or letting myself talk me out of what is possible.  Sounds easy, is quite hard!  I have some  general goals for the race, but they will take better shape as we march towards July 23!  Onward!