Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

12 Weeks Until IMLP - Training Wk April 30 - May 7

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great stuff everyone!...Lots of good work goin' on.  

My weekend was to be a split big day Friday Swim/Sat Bike run....but weather gods conspired against me for washout Saturday...and I was not doing my ride indoors...because Sunday looked good....so I swam again 3200yds. on Saturday...and today I went out fro 4hrs. (64- Slow wicked windy miles) followed up with 49min/5.5 miles...I cut it short as my legs both cramped up at same time sending me to the ground at around 5miles...LOL...I was feeling ok and one then the other seized...I need a short breather/walk...they cleared and I ran the remainder home....I'll take this effort for today.
  • Options
    @Scott dinhofer  Scott, I'm just east of Rochester NY
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer
    That would have been great if we had bumped into each other out on Rt 22.  That is great riding terrain  I consider myself lucky to be able to ride through Purdys/North Salem/Ridgefield/Bedford
  • Options
    yup, especially now that many of the roads have been repaved!! that and the area to the west of 100 is pretty good too between yorktown & ossining/millwood.. 
  • Options
    and now for the weather... friend snapped this picture from LP yesterday... note the mountain tops.. It's all gonna drain somewhere #wetsuitlegal

• Options
    I was lucky enough to race Placid in the only NON wetsuit legal race in 11.  I still wore it though. ;)
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer  I'm hoping for wetsuit legal, and even purchased a new one it's only May 11th.  'm not counting on anything given the example above.  While n=1 you never know how hot it's going to be leading up to the race.

Got in 50' on the split run this morning.  With only 20' remaining after work.  I'm still behind the run curve and just adding 15' of running each week. 
  • Options
    We follow the water temps for Winnipesaukee since it is the same as Winnisquam and the current water temp has actually dropped since the end of April and is at 45 degrees WTF???
  • Options
    After scrolling down what seemed liked pages upon pages of great information, tips and motivational words I thought I would chime in and say hello.  Also give some insight to what I've been doing from a training standpoint as well as my goals for Placid 2017.  

Like many, this will be my 2nd crack at IMLP.  In 2016, I showed up fit, fast and furious with eyes on one prize...get on that podium.  A less than a stellar day on the bike due to mechanicals (I can't change a flat fast, I know rookie stuff here) kept me from my goal.  I refused to allow this mishap to be my Placid story so I signed up for another at bat this year.  

My 2017 year began early with a NOS kickstart to build for the much anticipated IMPR70.3 in March.  Given the 70.3WC were in the US this year I trained to qualify and punched my ticket with a 2nd place finish in the 40-44AG.  With this early season fitness, I continued to stay consistent with my training leading up to Blue Ridge Camp at the end of April.  Four days of riding and climbing were exactly what I needed to build confidence in how I plan to address the LP bike course.  Back from camp for a few weeks now and this is what I've been up to:

Swim:  goal is to get ~10,000m a week in with Monday being long (500s,400s) sets.  Wednesday I focus on form/speed (200s,100s,50s) and Friday is a straight 45-60' pull session (building upper body strength and endurance)

Bike:  goal is to get 3 or 4 rides in a week.  One FTP/VO2 ride of about 60-75' and the other 3 longer and more race pace focused.  Longest ride is always outside and the other 3 are trainer rides.

Run:  when the running is feeling good I go with it.  My goal is to get over 30 miles a week with 1 or 2 long (8-12miles)runs and a the rest short pre or post ride runs.  This week I wanted to test myself and fitness to see if I could run 10miles each day for 3 days.  Succeeded and am super happy my run is progressing nicely.  

Between now and race day, I will attend Al's camp in CO for some epic riding at altitude and run my first ever Ultra Ragner Relay.  If this doesn't prepare me to hand out some butt whooping in LP I don't know what else will!  

Glad to see so many familiar names here and look forward to racing with you all and keeping each other motivated in the meantime.