Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jordan Hempfling Year One Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/26/2017 
  • On 6/26 Load the Advanced 2017 Short Course, 20wks to end on 9/10/2017
  • On 9/11 Load the Intermediate Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 10/15/2017

Coach Notes

You're already pretty fit, so after you test I'd like you to drop into the ADV Short Course plan thru 9/10 (we can help taper you for the intermediary race as you go). 

The bigger project we'll be getting you ready for the marathon in parallel to your travel season. Since you only have a couple weeks after your triathlon season is over to become a "full" runner, we will need to integrate some additional running into your regular season. 

This type of marathon preparation needs to start about 12 weeks before the race itself, which falls exactly on July 24th...but since your "A" race is shortly thereafter, I recommend you don't start the "Run Hack" until the week of 8/7.

• You will be replacing the Wednesday Run/Swim with the Thursday run starting in Week 3 of the charts on this page.
  • You will replace the Sunday run with the split long runs from the Saturday runs from the same charts

We can talk in detail as you go about modifying this, but I wanted to get it to you ASAP.

Let's talk soon!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    I did my tests, but at least for the run, my test pace was about 30 seconds or so slower than what I ran in my last race about 3 days before the test. Should I still use those numbers?

Jordan
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -  definitely not! Let's use the numbers from your most recent race… You likely have a little bit of fatigue still in your system.

You will also find as you do your workouts with the new zones just how accurate they really are. Sometimes it requires a little adjusting  depending on your strengths in any particular zone. 

Way to get started!
  • Options
    If we are able to do open water swims, how should we change the workouts for the open and work them into the training plan?
  • Options
    And, as for the taper for my August race, I'm guessing that I should replace the week 16 (race week) with the week 20 and should I do a race rehearsal as well?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick should I do a race rehearsal instead of my normal programming this weekend?
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -   Sorry for the delay in replying to you! I had written out the following answer and then I never hit submit. I'm very sorry.

++++++++

there is no typical work out for open water swimming. We recommend simply that you plan a negative splitting, or finishing stronger in the swims. Open water swim time is so valuable that I'll take it anywhere we can get it. If your schedule for open water swimming meams that we need to adjust the basic training week, let me know when you swim and I could help. 

Yes  it will be nice to get a race rehearsal done on the Saturday session only. So we wouldn't necessarily taper you for the whole week just to practice, but that's where we could put the work out in, does that make sense?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick No problem, i do that as well. But so you think that I should just do the bike-run the weekend before the race?
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling  dash yes the full bike run should be fine. Don't run the whole bike superhard, just get it done. Maybe take the next day off if you want to recover more!

Don't forget to go change your profile picture. You could do it by clicking on your name in the upper right and editing your profile.
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling  - good to talk with you yesterday! We talked about a great deal, so I want to just to give you some follow-up notes here

Short Course Race Looming - since you have a new wetsuit, I agree that getting out this weekend to put in some good time is best. Ideally the weather cooperates and you get back to back days with an open water swim followed by a bike. This would be great just for you to be comfortable with what you're doing.

Once you have completed your race, it's time to move onto thinking about the bike. I agree that you should've the bike focused plan and training with an eye towards the fall century. You simply can't beat spending more time on the bike, and doing it in September and October is perfect weather. You almost can't bike enough, so feel free to get out there more with your group ride and on the weekends. Once you find out when that date will be for your long ride, let me know and I can help you out.

I know you also had some questions about Kona and what that means in terms of training. To help you out, here is two articles that may help you:

• First, our Three Year Plan which outlines how we'd like folks to evolve...
    • Second, this JV to Varsity Ironman article. It's great for you to get into the long course game before we make any big assumptions, but this will give you some guidance on what we tell most folks looking to evolve!
    PS– please update your profile picture! It'll make you a lot more accessible here on the forums!
  • Options
    race report for Alum creek olympic triathlon.

pre-race problems: bike course shortened to 33k from 40k, changed race tires from tubeless to tubed tires that wouldnt fit my bike so used my training tires and wheels, and bike had some issues that had to be taken care of race morning so my warmup was a run to the bathroom lol.

before EN: olympic distance race 8 weeks before a similar course time wise:
    swim: 36:47 (no wetsuit)
    T1: 1:53
    bike: 1:20:08 (18.6 mph)
    T2:1:49
    run: 54:51 (8:50/mile)
    total: 2:55:28 (3rd in age group)

after EN
    swim: 28:44 with wetsuit; counted strokes to 8 and sit three times after about the first 300 once I settled in. But definitely forgot every now and then and would get back on it.
    The goal for outseason: get faster by focusing on playing the piano instead of fitness. but not high on the list compared to the bike and swim.

T1: 3:42 and T2: 2:16 (but forgot something for the run) 
    the goal for outseason: practice next season

bike: 1:05:54 similar time if you do the math as before based on the shortened course. my FTP is 196, but only averaged 165 watts. so might need to do some longer intervals in the future to try to hold a higher average in a race.
    goals: being able to put out constant power through the whole pedal stroke and increase my FTP (hopefully by about 30 watts or so, which may be plausible being a new cyclist)

run: 51:52 (8:21) it was a good run where I ran an 8:34, 8:25, 9:02, and 7:55 for 2.5k splits to run down the 5th place guy in my age group. ran the last split as hard as I could to run him down. 
    goal for the outseason: get faster, hope to get down to a 7:30/mile ish.

loaded the advanced bike focus block for 6 weeks from now. 
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -  improving on two out of the three disciplines in that bad! Well I'm surprised your bike wasn't faster, gaining swim speed and run focus on both great steps forward. Those aren't exactly things that will disappear.

Yes, time to move onto the bike focus plan to get to work there. maybe the initial focus is less about moving the FTP up as it is it getting better at sustaining time at FTP in your workouts.

Out of curiosity, was your test indoors or outdoors to get that number before your race?
  • Options
    I did it outdoors, but there were a lot of stoplights so maybe that mattered...
  • Options
    But that yea sustaining time at ftp is a good idea.
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -  let's start with that first. Plan on two weeks of sustaining time at current FTP and then use the remaining four weeks to try and move beyond it. That should be a nice transition for you and suitably challenging at the end of your season. Keep me posted! 
  • Options
    What kind of trainingpeaks fatigue and form scores are cause for concern?
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -  that is a great question! It is very individual. To give you something generic enough for everyone it would have to be so high on the fatigue is so low on the balance it would likely not be useful. instead what we look for are dramatic shift in both metrics in a short period of time.

For example,  if you are chronic fatigue line shoots up over six weeks like a rocket ship you are likely doing too much into short a period of time without enough recovery. You will also see such a change in your TSB score dropping like a rock. 

The biggest difference heater and moving these numbers is the swimming. We recommend that you manually assign one TSS point for every 100 yards swimmer. So it 2000 yard swim give you 20 TSS.

This is because the bike and run calculations are accurate, but do some calculations vary wildly and can definitely jack up your score artificially. If you like, you can post a screenshot hear of your PMC and we can look at it more deeply.

You can also talk to the folks in the power and pace forum to get more information! 
  • Options
    So I think I'm going to admit defeat going for a bike century this fall. Last Tuesday, fell on my bike on a group ride. I was fine, beside a bruised hip (it was wet due to Irma effect rain). So took a couple days off to recover. But then did my ftp test today on my other bike. During the 20 minute test, I went over train tracks wrong and went down. Finished the test though. I'm good outside of large scratches and an even larger bruised hip. 

was maybe thinking about doing a 20k trail run on 10/28 and see what trail running was all about and maybe mixing in some trail running/ ultras in the future seasons. If I could and maybe just sitting on the trainer for now. 
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2017 12:33PM
    @Jordan Hempfling -  Man, crushing like a totally sucks… But you're super lucky that you're actually walking away from both. I unfortunately am way to get a crashing and usually make that the end of my season!  :(

I think your next best bet is signing up for the Run Durability Program and driving that into your trail run. That keeps you fit this fall and we can use the bonus time to spend on the trainer to keep your bike fitness up while keeping you safe. Here is a link where you can read more about the fall protocol: http://bit.ly/2fj3saP 

~ Coach P 
  • Options

@jordan hempfling

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Just starting the 7months out run durability- have been running 3-4 days a week with a longer day Sunday. Not as much cycling or swimming, but getting back to it next week. 

Your Races

• 6/16/18 Mohican trail marathon

• Probably should do a Olympic before 70.3 but don’t know when I should do it with the other race?

• Ironman 70.3 Ohio (2018-07-29) #703Ohio_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017

• 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018

• >> Transition Early << 

• 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• 4/16/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 6/16/2018

• 5/13/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 07/29/2018

• 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/12/2018    

Coach Notes

Goal here is to sustain the Run Durability Program  as you get back on the bike. GET ON THE BIKE, MAN!!! (did that help?).  :wink:

We'll roll the OutSeason Plan into the Balanced Marathon (OS trail runs on weekend are okay. 

I have you "considering" an early exit to the Half plan, pre-Marathon, to get you tri ready as your Marathon taper will be on....but we can discuss. Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• Options
    accidently forgot to start the outseason this week, so i will monday. should i start on week 2 of the outseason or take a week of of the marathon?
  • Options
     Just start with week two, you really missed nothing at this point. Onward! 
  • Options
    not planning to do the 70.3 anymore do to lack of time to train with school stuff, but the marathon went well (you can see my race report in the forums). I think I also have developed a little runner's knee so I think I'm going to use the summer to retool my running to be more efficient and stay injury free. any recommendations?
    probably just going to do the short course plan till its time to do the outseason/run durability plans.

I think that ill try to do the 50 miler next year so anyways to keep the mileage higher so its not as drastic when I hit that plan. but next year will need some hill repeats worked into the plan. 
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling -   I think your marathon went really well, congratulations to you on that. I know how hard you were working.

It’s not uncommon to have a sport specific injury when you overload and one discipline. That is part of the power of a triathlon training program. I like the idea of doing a short course plan especially if you have the chance to jump into one or two local fun races. 
     Personally I would recommend that you do the bike focus plan for the first few weeks. Nothing wrong with really taking attention away from the run for a short while. Not just to develop some strength on the bike, but to give your need a break and to make you really excited to run once the pike plan is done. So look at the beginner version of that plan.

In terms of building two or 50 for next year, we can sort out the fall/winter durability program that will set you up. Many of your teammates were very successful with creating a run streak as the primary  Tool. 

Feel free to load up those plans or ask me anymore questions I’m happy to help out. 
  • Options

Hi just checking on that game plan for this year. Filled out the form a week back. But, just planning on doing the Mohican 50 miler Saturday June 15 and maybe the burning river 50/100 on July 28 depending on how that goes.

Jordan

• Options

I am on it! It’s a busy time of year for season planning, thanks for understanding.

• Options

Yeah, no worries! just trying to figure out when I should start the outseason program.

• Options

99.9% sure it’s going to be January 7. Let me check on that for you.

• Options

@Jordan Hempfling I see, you checked the "do not process button" which moves it off my screen...

All good...here goes...

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Ok, here we go...more RDP work right now, with the expectation your weekends will have some cycling. You don't have to hit all the runs, this is meant to be a template / outline for you. Don't forget we have a holiday run challenge from 12/25 to 1/1 if you want to do that.

Then you transition a bit early and start the OutSeason Plan on Jan 7th...and you'll do 10 weeks before transitioning to the remainder of the UltraPlan.

During the OS, don't worry about the run MILEAGE, focus more on the run frequency (esp as the bike sessions will challenge you). I do encourage you to join in the February zwift volume week as that will be a nice boost without the cost of more running.

As the OS ends we can talk more ultra specifics. As a baseline it will be nice for you to build up to a 2 hour easy long run by the end of Feb.

Your Races

• 06/15/2019 Mohican 50 miler

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/18/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Runners 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the  -- OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the  -- UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/29/2018</p>

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Oh my bad, but thanks!

• Options

All good!! Happy New Year 🎆🎊🎈