Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLAKE PLACID Home Stretch

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thursday/Friday is mandatory registration.  Friday AM will be an EN and sponsor swim at the lake.  The rest is up to you.
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh
    you have all day to do the bike racking.. avoid the rush and go later in the day. other than that, feet up drinking sports drink
    I am coming on weds. 
    thursday I have my GF or a sherpa ( @Al Truscott ) possibly, drive me out to the keene descent. I ride the descent 2-4x to get nice and comfy on it and have the sherpa and car be my ski lift... goal is to dial in and get comfy with that obstacle so it becomes an advantage instead of a fear factor on race day
  • Options
    @Patrick MarshNot much to add I like doing the Keene descent typically only once but may do it a couple times.  I seem to me a little apprehensive so nothing like getting the bike up to 50MPH to get comfortable.  If I'm comfortable here I'll may get my wife to flip me to the back side of the course and ride the last part of the bike course 30-45' in to town.

I finally hit this right the last time in 2015 given my ability but even a drive of the course helps
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer if possible, I would like to ride the descent with you again this year.  It will be good to practice it in the rain since we practiced in the wind in 2016 :)
  • Options

The big week is over.  1194 TSS & 25 hours of work.  The last 72 hours feel like a groundhog day of making bottles, pumping tires, handling nutrition, etc. etc.

I had to finish each ride over the last 3 days inside on the trainer for weather.  Friday I had a hard time hitting target power.  Not sure if it's because I'm weaker than I thought, fear of long rides over the following 2 days or what.  

Also between 90-100' into both the Fri & Sat ride my lower back started acting up to the point I needed ibuprofen.  Some time on the inversion table before todays ride seemed to loosen it up.  LP climbs should help with position changes. 

I now know how my body doesn't handle my nutrition plan in heat/humidity very well.  I'm praying for a chamber of commerce day on the 23rd.

Just signed up for the team dinner.  

I hope everyone recovers from all the work you've been doing, I'm off to stress over my bike & gear lists for the next few days before drop off with TBT.

Not good to use ibuprofen during races, so pack some tylenol instead incase you get back issues.  Bad for the kidneys if you get dehydrated I think.  
  • Options
    this forum is getting awfully quiet. I assume everyone is making a list & checking it twice... 
    now we know who's nice, because they've posted their race plans in the Race Execution Discussions forum.. let's get em up there and soak up the best aspect of this team, the thoughts & opinions of your trusted veterans!
  • Options
    I got my last long run done Mike Roberts style...sockless.  Got a couple spots that I will adjust my laces and LUBE in t2!  My family is here for the weekend and parties.  Wedding shower and hosting a fireworks evening at my home. I did my last long ride on the trainer on Wednesday and bricked off 1 little mile since I had the run on tap the next day and am not to run back to back.  Everything is feeling ok, and I am working on my race plan, reading others.  My real challenge will to not over eat/drink this weekend as it is vacation for the family.  S'mores *may* have happened last night.  #Ragnarmemories 
  • Options
    @Scott DinhoferI'm just going to steal & modify your race plan, very thorough.

My bike and gear bag left my possession yesterday for TBT, so now the list of things over which I can obsess is smaller.  Still working the training plan, though I had to cut today's run short because there was a cow loose on the road (seriously) and had to figure out who's it was to get it "home"

My youngest daughter's birthday is today and we've got family invading for celebrating this weekend, so I'm facing the same challenges at @Trish Marshall
  • Options
    So far this week, I rested one day, swam twice, did one bike/run brick and did an ~80-minute run.  My bike was tuned up (again) yesterday and I will take a final spin tomorrow.  I will do an OWS on Sunday and then rest.

Here's my race plan.  I welcome any comments, as this is all still pretty new to me.

Thursday, July 20th

o   Leave work at 11:30 am and arrive at EN Dinner by 6 pm

o   Check into hotel.  Charge Garmins

Friday, July 21st

o   8:00 am – OWS

o   10:00 am – EN Four Keys Talk

o   Noon – Last test of my bike (Keene descent)

o   2 pm – Register/Check-in at Conference Center ABC / Athlete briefing

o   7:00 pm – Dinner and then bed

Saturday, July 22nd  

o   10:00 am – Rack bike at T1 and drop off gear bags.  Recognize that this will be the most crowded time, but I would prefer to do this early and free up my afternoon

o   Rest of day: Enjoy Lake Placid and spend evening with my feet up.  Hydrate

o   9:00 pm: Lights out.  (Try to) sleep

Race Day!

o   Pre-race:

§  Wake up: 3:30 am. 

§  Eat: 3:45 am Nutrition shake and peanut butter/honey on coarse bread (which I eat before all of my rides…)

§  Depart hotel by 4:00 am and drive to Lake Placid

§  Arrive at transition area by 4:30 am

§  Final preparations and body marking.  Continue to hydrate.  Visit port-o-potty

§  6:00 am – Warm up

o   Race:

§  Swim:

·         Nutrition: Eat PowerBar at 6:30 am

·         Line up with group 1:15-1:20 pace group, which represents a 1:50/100yd pace.  This is aspirational relative to my pool times.  However, I am basing this decision on my Quassy OWS pace of 1:45/100yd and my last long OWS in LI Sound at 1:57/100yd. 

·         The key for me on this race will be to get comfortable pace early on and then get a steady rhythm after the first turn.  My best OWS are those for which I was able to keep my head down and move forward steadily.  I plan to drive a harder pace for the final 1000 yards.  My weakest event is swimming, so I am focused on a steady pace rather than any time goals

§  T1 

·         Exit water.  Unzip suit.  Connect with volunteer.  Leave goggles/cap on until my suit is off

·         Jog to T1.

·         Put on helmet and bike shoes (no socks) quickly.  Ask volunteer to apply sun screen.  Run bike to T1 exit.  Carefully start ride, recognizing that it will be crowded with inattentive athletes

§  Ride:

·         Target wattage of 195 watts per my PowerTap, which is the equivalent of about 170 watts on my Kickr.  This target is based on my 6-hour power profile plus 5 watts. 

·         Out of T1, I will be careful until I am safely out of town, and be disciplined with my wattage up until the Keene descent.  My goal is to soft-pedal all ascents, use the small ring as often as possible after Jay, find speed on all down-hills, and stay in the aero position as much as possible.  I left ENLP camp with a healthy respect for the Jay-Wilmington-Lake Placid section of the bike course and will try to ride this softly on my first loop.  I plan to ride the Keene descent as quickly as I can, but will sit up and let the wind slow me down if I feel my front wheel wobble.

·         I will drink 1.25 bottles of Gatorade every hour, eat a gel every 45 minutes after the first hour and take three Endurolytes every hour.  This is the routine I have practiced all spring/summer.  This regimen represents ~225 calories, 65g of carbohydrates, 855 mg of sodium/chloride (together), 285 mg of Potassium and 750 mcg of Magnesium.  The calorie intake may be a bit light, but the levels of minerals/salts seem appropriate.  If my stomach growls, I will eat something solid like a PowerBar or Cliff bar, which should get me to a 275 calorie per hour level.  Will try to pee on bike at least twice.  Per @Scott Dinhoffer ‘s suggestion, I will re-set my Garmin 820 to a 15-minute lap alert to help me stay on track with the nutrition plan

·         My predicted time is ~6:40, or ~16.75 mph.  However, I will only use one active Garmin screen: Lap Power, 3s Power, HR and Cadence.  Thus, I will not track speed.  My predicted time is based on having ridden 17.1 mph on Day-1 at ENLP camp, and then at 16 mph trying to go easy on my second camp day of 112 miles. 

§  T2:

·         I will slowly ride into T2. Find a volunteer to help me rack my bike.  Put on hat/sunglasses.  Take off bike shoes.  Rinse feet with water and dry with towel.  Apply sunscreen and extra chamois cream.  Put on running socks – carefully so that there are no blister-causing wrinkles.  Slip on shoes.  Put EN ice bag on my wrist.  Eat something solid and drink Gatorade.

§  Run:

·         I plan to run the first six miles and then walk 30 steps to eat/drink at the next 12 stations.  From mile 6 to 18, I will drink Gatorade at every station and eat a gel every four miles.  Also, at my first stop, I will put ice in my EN bag, put it under my hat and keep it filled throughout the run.  My goal is to run the last eight miles to the best of my ability.  I will maintain a cadence of 90 steps/min up the hill into town by taking very small steps. 

·         My expected pace is 10:00 per mile, which would be a ~4:20-4:25 marathon.  That is closer to Z1 than to TRP, but I want to account for the walking I will do to get nutrition at aid stations.  My ability to run at this pace will be driven by how softly I cycle the hills and how well I stick to my cycling nutrition plan.

o   Overall time:

§  Given that this is my first IM, I don’t have any time goal.  My data and limited experience on the course suggest that if I stick to my nutrition plan, and nothing unexpected happens, that I would finish in the 12:30 area.  Given my lack of IM experience, I just want to stay inside my box and execute on my race plan.  The finish time will be an output of my race execution and fitness, and I can only control for execution on the course.  Thus good execution will mean success to me, regardless of whether I finish in 12:30 or 14:00

§  The two goals I set at the beginning of this process 12 months ago are still what I am working towards: i) exiting the water being excited to get on the bike and ii) running the last eight miles of the run.  How long the race takes me will be an output of achieving those two goals  

• Options
    Great plan Patrick.  You are very well prepared. While coarse bread and such low calories per hour sounds bad for me, if that's what you've been doing on workouts all this time then I would stick with it.  Just be ready to intermittently reassess your status and make changes on the fly if needed.  See you in Placid.
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh - you may want to post your race plan over here in the race execution forum - you'll get input from some shmart ENers who aren't surfing the LP forums! 
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh - good thought to line up faster, better to get swum over by a few than swim over a bunch. Also, LP will be your fastest noncurrent IM swim, ever... 3 dyanmics
    1. it's called mirror lake for a reason  :o
    2. if you can get on the cable and follow it, you never pick your head up
    3. it's so small, that by the middle of the 2nd lap there is a whirlpool/ current effect happening in the lake

and for a 4th, it IS race day!
  • Options
    Finished my taper ride and brick.  Rode ~42 miles in about ~2:30.  Tried to keep my watts low, but it is quite hard when there are so many hills near my home.  Rode with a buddy who had done IMLP a few years ago.  He is younger, and much faster, yet he ran a 4:15 marathon (but an 18 mph bike split) which is almost an hour longer than his standalone marathon time.  Not sure what I have gotten myself into, but I am getting quite excited for next week.  

It felt odd to be done with my bike ride by 8:00 am today.  I was showered and waking up my teenaged kids by 9:30 am for breakfast - I wonder if they had grown to enjoy sleeping all Saturday morning while I have been on my bike on Saturdays for the past few months.

For the rest of the day, I am going to make lists, and start packing.  Looking at my schedule this week, I realize that I need to be fully packed by tomorrow because I won't be at home much this week.

I will do some yoga-for-runner/cyclist routines (following a YouTube instructor) over the next few days, and rolling on a foam roller.  Tomorrow, I will do my third swim of the week - an OWS in LI Sound.  After the wetsuit dries, I will pack it away for next week.  

Hope everyone is having a good taper weekend.
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh, good plan. Spend some time this week mentally preparing for the dark times that will visit you around Mile 80 of the bike and Mile 16-20 of the run. Odds are, this adversity will be a new experience for you, and I can almost guarantee you'll have thoughts of walking, quitting, etc. And the reason folks keep coming back to race multiple IMs year after year is because overcoming that adversity and finishing is a powerful, addictive drug. 

As for me, I'm in full taper mode. My bike is with TBT, my legs are shaved, my toenails are clipped, and my closet floor resembles a multipsport clearance table. 

Has as anyone thought about an EN HQ on the run course for the sherpas and families? I've heard the out-back section by Mirror Lake is pretty optimal, but I'm a rookie. 
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh, good plan. Spend some time this week mentally preparing for the dark times that will visit 
    Has as anyone thought about an EN HQ on the run course for the sherpas and families? I've heard the out-back section by Mirror Lake is pretty optimal, but I'm a rookie. 
    @Mike Roberts -  Coach P, Mariah, etc,  usually hangs out on the hill near the traffic light on Main street between McKinley & Sentinel, if a hot day, there is some shade, I think.. it's less crowded for spectators, it's roughly mile .5 / 10.5 on lap 1. 
    THAT would be a good spot, I am sure Al will join him & that Tim/Heather will be there and I am encouraging Jill as well since she knows Al, heather & Tim.. 
  • Options
    Got in my final RR swim Friday and was running to dump my swim buoy at my dock box and found a bloody hole in the grass.  Yep.  I am the EN'r who falls on a SWIM WORKOUT! Damn it!  Went down kinda hard, rattled myself and was like...really?  Did I just fall???  Managed a nice big fat bruise on my right big toe and a little lump on top of it and a couple scrapes.  Nice.  I had hoped to run short with strides on my TM before yesterday's wedding shower and hosting our family fireworks party. Uh, no.  I took Aleve right away to help with swelling and while ugly, its not fatal.  Besides the comical crash into my grass, the swim went well.  Felt good and the lake was choppy forcing sighting and altered stroke a bit for the chop.  I know mirror lake most likely will be calm, but you never know! 

Yesterday was party party party so no workouts.  Today I *may* test out the toe on the treadmill for a mile.  Possible short swim.  My family leaves very early am tomorrow, so may just take another day and enjoy the energy from my grand niece's.  

Tomorrow I will test out the bike post tune up, finish my race plan and post, get all my packing together, am picking up my Castelli EN top that I had altered and decide if I can really wear it race day and final prerace massage.  The fall left my neck ( different spot that aero position) a bit sore, so hoping my massage guy can gently work some of that out before the car ride Tuesday.  

We leave Tuesday and plan to stop in Kingston, ONT.  Wednesday will have us finishing out the drive, shopping, getting situated in LP. Oddly calm and relaxed, but having no major time goal (per Patrick!) and an eye to make the best of my current fitness, not my woulda coulda shoulda fitness may be contributors.  :wink:
  • Options
    @Trish Marshall - Glad that you survived your fall and big weekend.  Look forward to racing with you this weekend.

@Mike Roberts - Thanks for the comments.  My goal is to focus on the next few pedal strokes and the next few steps when things get dark.  My experience is that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, but you just need to keep moving to get there.

Today, I finished my last OWS.  It was breezy at my town's beach, so lots of choppy waves to swim through and mouthfulls of salty LI Sound water.  I was glad to get that over with.  Of course, I ripped my wetsuit in two more places today.  So, I will be letting it dry completely and patching it tonight. These will be tear #s 11 and 12.  I have a TYR Hurricane, and it seems to rip if I even look at it wrong.  The upside is that I am now well-versed in the dark art of patching neoprene.  

Weighed in this morning at 163 pounds.  That is 15 pounds lighter than the day I signed up for the race. Was hoping to lose a couple of more pounds, but I will be working with the weight I am now.  

I am mostly packed for Thursday.  Got my bike ready - washed the frame, de-greased the chain, took the extra bottle cage off the down-tube, took off all the lights and conducted an inventory of my tube-changing kit (decided to add an extra CO2 cartridge, in case the one stored in there now was a dud.)  In the event of a cold and rainy ride on race day, I packed some old items that I could wear on the first lap and toss on the second: old/frayed running arm warmers, cheap gloves and an old Sugoi jacket that has not been able to repel water for several years now.  I am putting everything in freezer bags and separating by sequence - pre-swim, T1/bike and T2/run.  

Hope everyone is enjoying good weather wherever you may training today.
  • Options
    The energy building is amazing....came off of 4 days at lake placid two weeks ago where I learned about the course...and have a healthy respect for the climbing....went into a week of business travel which was basically run only for Mon-Thursday....came back and was in the pool friday...had a great (felt great) 50 miles bike/30min brick run on Saturday and today a really nice 2.3 OWS sans wetsuit at the beach....I may not be in the best shape of my life but I'm okay to go....I need to draw up my race plan tommorrow....arrivee Lake Placid on Wednesday ...looking forward to seeing folks...anyone else staying at the Hungry Trout??