Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Joe Hallatschek - Need Training Plan

Patrick - this is a follow-up to my TSR that Rich built earlier this year. Age = 57; currently in week #8 of the Get Faster Plan with a short course triathlon scheduled for August 19th; completed my move from Texas to North Carolina and I am ready to get settled in for my A Race this fall; since I can't put anything on the macro, here is what I am trying to do:
1. Aqua-bike Nationals - 12 Nov: 1.2mi swim, 56 mi bike = A Race
2. White Lake 1/2 IM Aqua-bike  - 9 Sep = B Race
3. Sandling Beach - 1 Oct: 1mi Swim, 40 mi bike = B Race
Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Options
    edited August 9, 2017 11:34AM
    @Joe Hallatschek -  before I answer your question, remember that you're supposed to post a new question to your same thread. Every year you have one single thread and all of our conversations going to that thread. If you start a new conversation every time you have a question every three weeks then it's very hard to keep track of how we have progressed. Do yourself a favor and click the star at the top of this conversation so that when you come back next time, you can click the little bookmark Icon to find it and reply.  ;)

To keep things simple, let's have you load up the aqua bike plan to end on your a race of November 12. Working backwards, we can set some intermediary changes in place to accommodate your race weekends.

Can you tell me what your goals are for the swim and the bike in terms of time and effort? It would also be good to know where your effort stand relative to that now… For example, you might want to swim a 32 but you currently swim at 36, etc. Thanks!

• Options
    @Patrick - bookmarked. I need to spend more time on our web-site now that I am actually settled in. Amazing how much has changed in the last few months.

To answer these questions:

1. Swim - at 36 (1:48/100m) and goal is 34 (1:42/100m) - also, I now have a backyard pool and a pungee cord, so I will be able to swim more! Although my target time is always 1:40/100m, I don't want to blow up and hit the bike tired.

2. Bike - at 2:40 (21mph) and goal is 2:30 (22.4mph) - also, I just transferred my P3 Cervelo components to a new P5 two weeks ago and I am in the process of dialing it in and my goal is realistic.

As far as effort, I'm able to put in at least an hour in the morning and an hour after work. Weekends, I can put in the long workouts up to 4 hours as needed.

• Options
    @Joe Hallatschek -   No kidding about those changes! It's hard sometimes to keep up with it myself.  ;)

Thank you again for your numbers and your goals, and I agree they are very reasonable. I still think that loading the aqua bike planned is the best way to go as that will give you the structure you need. Let me know when you have done that.

In terms of breaking down your goals across this remaining quarter of your year here's what I think:

* your first two weeks of training should be all about getting the bike though. This means setting up the Aero position, in total comfort, having the hydration set up the Dialed as well.

*  One trick that I used last year on my P5 was to buy a TorHans aero water bottle and then cut the top off to use that to store my tools. This would give me even a more aerodynamic frame and cleared up the rest of my bike to just hold nutrition. There are videos and pictures on the Internet for how to do that.

* swim frequency is KEY. even 20 minutes a day five days a week to make a big difference. Depending on your schedule you could have your "real" workouts in the morning and in the evening spent 20 minutes with the bungee to work on your swimming.  In this face I would not worry about doing all of the long swim workouts are listed in your plan… This is specifically a frequency bump. 

* once you are through to the last week of August, you should be all dialed in, settled in, and ready to get in some good training!

• Options

Patrick - here is an update since the last post:

1.Completed two aqua-bike races:

a.  Sep 9th; 1.2mi S/56mi bike in 3:08:23. Swim was 38:17 (1:55/100m is suspect) and bike was at 22.6mph.

b. Oct 1st: 1mi S/40mi bike - Swim was 28:25 (1:47/100m is about right) and bike was 21mph

2. Swim 2000m TT in Aqua-bike week #9 - 33:37; 1:41/100m

3. Miami-Man goals - with a wetsuit/speed suit, I should be close to my goal time of 34 (1:42/100m). Bike - I am right at my goal time of 2:30 (22.4mph).

4. Race Prep  -  I got the Torhans systems set up and will tweak it a bit more. I am thinking about just going for broke and including a tire inflator somewhere on the bike and a really small repair kit. Final bike tune-up, quick repairs on the short john wet suit, double check on bike shipping info and other logistics and I and I should be good.

5. Final Three Weeks training - the final week, I already "proofed" when I did my last week and I got that nailed as well as I can. So, weeks #10 and 11 are left. My outdoor pool finally got cold and bungee cord swimming is no longer an option. Logistics now dictate that 4X/wk swimming is what I can realistically plan. Biking on weekends is as always, subject to the weather.

Pointers/Advice/Recommendations are welcome!

• Options
    @Joe Hallatschek - Man, you already! And experience is a much better guide than me.

I think your focus on the swim is perfect and the changes to the set up or aggressive but understandable. My only thought there is maybe making sure you have a newer tire on the rear wheel just to reduce the chances of having that issue.
  • Options
    Patrick - so, the race is over and I placed 5th in my Age Group and qualified for Team USA! So, it's off to Denmark for the ITU Worlds on 14 July. Here is a quick rundown of the numbers:

1. Miami-Man goals - with a wetsuit/speed suit, goal time of 34 (1:42/100m). Bike - goal time of 2:30 (22.4mph).
    2. Miami-Man Results - no wetsuit or speed suit (should've brought that!) -37:55. Bike - 2:31:11, which was 22.2mph. My VI was 1.03 -very, very, flat course. Placed overall #32 out of 326. 

Notes: taper week was perfect with respect to plan. My execution needs some work with respect to nutrition before swim and not getting a blocking penalty on bike.

Overall - great race and I'm going back next year. 

Thanks for being such as good coach!

Joe

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Just finished an eleven month season with the final race 12 November at the Long Course Aquabike Nationals. I am taking a break and doing basic fitness and strengthening work till December at the earliest.

Your Races

Main Race:

• 04/21/18 , Aquabike, White Lake half-Ironman
    • 05/02/18, Bike Camp, Blue Ridge Parkway 2-6 May
    • 05/19/18, Aquabike, Pinehurst International Distance
    • 07/14/18 ITU Long Course Aquabike World Championship in Denmark

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017
    • On 11/20/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
    • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

Coach Notes

Congratulations on qualifying my friend...that's a massive accomplishment. Sounds like you are pumped, and rightly so!!! I agree with just basic stuff for now; I put in the Run Durability Program (RDP) for now / DEC but you do as you see fit. Rest is best right now.

Then it's January OutSeason for some fitness...but where you go from there is dependent on your race. I can't tell if ITU is 1.2 / 56  or 3k / 120k ... Can you shed some light on that for me so I can plan? Thanks!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Patrick - the ITU this year for the Aquabike was 3K/120K, so I am planning for that in 2018. So, between my 4/21 Half Iron Aquabike and the 7/14 ITU, all I really have is the BRP Bike Camp 2-6 May. Questions:

1. Is the BRP a still a good idea? As I remember it in '15, Ian Kurth did the LG ITU and the BRP and did great.
    2. Do I need a race between the BRP and the ITU? All I can find is a Oly Aquabike on 5/19 and I am thinking my time might be better spent training?
    3. January OS - so, should I somehow integrate swimming on Monday and Friday and less running? 

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    @Joe Hallatschek -  good, that’s what I thought.

I think doing Blue Ridge camp is fine. The big volume will be a nice counterpart to the other work you’ve done all year.

I can’t recall if Ian did that, but you can definitely talk to him!

I don’t think you need to race, your discipline and focus is more than enough.

I don’t really feel like you need to run any less this early in the year. In other words, it’s OK to save the swim a little bit at least for two months. Give me until March and then you can get back into it, OK?
  • Options

@Patrick - got it. I sent Ian a message and will take his lessons learned and integrate them into my plan. When I get back from my current business trip to Fort McCoy, WI (pretty up here!) I'll send the check for the BRP Camp.

Since I have a Half Ironman Aquabike on 21 April, that will give me about 6 weeks to get in good swim form, so that should be okay.

Thanks,

Joe

• Options
    That sounds perfect. Enjoy your trip and travel safely.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2018 12:09AM
    Patrick - I am officially in "Run Jail". I have been struggling with what I thought was a mild Plantar Fasciitis and I saw a Podiatrist this week. The good Doctor said I now have a heel spur also and I left with a night splint, orthotics, and a "get well" regimen.   :/

So, I am on week #5 of the January OS and actually managed to struggle through a very mediocre run/bike test week. Based on my initial TSR, this is my current training plan:
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

My first "A Race" is an aqua-bike HIM on 21 April and I have 10 weeks.  On a good note, I have been doing a lot of strength work the last couple of months and have seen a lot of basic strength come back in my overall fitness.  :p

Bottom Line Question: what is my best course of action to get ready for my first race? 
  • Options
     Joe sorry to hear that, but nice to know you’re still a tough old bastard. :-)

It would help if you told me what the recovery timeline is from your podiatrist...That will help me set some expectations.

In the meantime we can get you biking four times a week as Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday. The other days can we swim and strength with a least one day off. I am assuming that you are OK to bike right now but let me know if that’s not the case.

You can use the OS workouts in this modified plan.
  • Options
    Patrick - I am scheduled to see the Podiatrist again on 28 Feb :# .  I can certainly bike. B)

Bike - what should I do on Sunday? I'll follow the OS for the other days.
    Swim - I can swim any day. So, looks like Monday as a recovery then Wednesday or Friday with the other off.

Joe
  • Options
    @Joe Hallatschek - ok then, fingers crossed! I think that you'll heal quickly with the self care, but I know it's a mental blow. Just stay focused!  

Bike on Sunday is just steady miles, baby. You can really complement the "hard" work you are doing with this aerobic time. The key is not to go insane...if you were on Zwift, I'd recommend some steady miles with a group. Since you aren't, then just fire up a show and dial in 70% for 90' to 120'. 

Yes, swimming Wed / Friday is perfect!  Jealous of your pool flexibility. 

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2018 1:26AM
    Patrick - my Podiatrist cleared me to start running again. So, I have not run since 7 Feb (22 days) and have walked maybe 5 miles a week during lunch = low stress! B) 

I am on week 8 of the Jan OS Bike Focus. I did a swim test last week for 1000m @ 17:33. This is spot on for my 1:45/100m goal for the 2000m. My biking is going really well and actually biked 512 miles in Feb and have a really good base. My first A race is 21 April, which is a HIM Aqua-bike. Tomorrow I am going to run 2 miles slow on my treadmill with a really good warm-up and cool down in addition to swimming on my own, about 2000m total. 

Based on my current situation, I have two questions: 

Question#1 : how should I approach the running for the remaining 5+ weeks of the OS?

Next: my Jan OS ends on 14 April. So, that gives me a week taper before my A Race and I have a good taper from the final taper week from the aqua-bike plan.

Question #2: in these last 5+ weeks, what do you also prescribe for swimming and should I just continue the biking as scheduled?

Thanks for your time!  :)

Joe

• Options
    @Joe Hallatschek - sorry for the delay in responding!!! I am a fan of the return to running re-entry protocol we have in the wiki here. You should start in Week 1, but you might be able to do 4 vs 3 runs if your foot is truly in a good place. 

Yes to continuing the bike as schedule, nothing fancy for this early in the year. 

For the swimming, you could certainly adjust one of the sessions (or add one more) to be more of a "TT style" swim where you are swimming for the full duration of the event. That first race of the year has a swim that seems to last forever, so our goal here will be to offset that mental (not physical) issue!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Just finished an eleven month season with the final race 12 November at the Long Course Aquabike Nationals. I am taking a break and doing basic fitness and strengthening work till December at the earliest.

Your Races

Main Race:

• 04/21/18 , Aquabike, White Lake half-Ironman
    • 05/02/18, Bike Camp, Blue Ridge Parkway 2-6 May
    • 05/19/18, Aquabike, Pinehurst International Distance
    • 07/14/18 ITU Long Course Aquabike World Championship in Denmark

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017
    • On 11/20/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
    • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018

Coach Notes

Congratulations on qualifying my friend...that's a massive accomplishment. Sounds like you are pumped, and rightly so!!! I agree with just basic stuff for now; I put in the Run Durability Program (RDP) for now / DEC but you do as you see fit. Rest is best right now.

Then it's January OutSeason for some fitness...but where you go from there is dependent on your race. I can't tell if ITU is 1.2 / 56  or 3k / 120k ... Can you shed some light on that for me so I can plan? Thanks!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Patrick - I am on week #13 of the JOS and need an update. Here are some updates and three questions about, "what next":

1. Run - although this is my Aqua-bike year, I did recover from "Run Jail" and made it to 14.5 miles last week. I approached it as "bike cross-training" and I'm back to where I started at the start of the season.

2. Week #14 Bike Test - I will go to Charlotte, NC and will compete in TT #1 in monthly series of 6 TTs at the Motor Speedway, each TT = 10 miles.

3. First "A" Race is still the HIM Aqua-bike on 21 April.

Questions:

1. From 11 April to 21 April - what should my workouts be? The week of 14-21 April could be the Aqua-bike Week #12 Taper? If so, the 12 April could be a swim active recovery, 13 April - swim workout, 14 April onsite recon/rehearsal with open water swim, and 15 April maybe a 2hr ABP bike?

2. From 21 April to BRP Bike Camp - I would like to do TT #2 on 1 May before I go to Camp. So, in those ten days, between the HIM Aqua-bike and the TT #2 what do you recommend?

3. From 6 May to 14 July - all I have is a TT #3 on 13 June. Based on what Ian Kurth and I discussed about getting ready for an ITU Long Distance Race, I decided to not do an Olympic distance race on 19 May

As always - if this is too complicated or there too many variables I've left out, I can always schedule a call.
  • Options
    @Joe Hallatschek

That's great news on the run progress. If we can keep you between 12 and 15 miles a week, that would be great. No big goals, its just that consistency rules and it will complement the work you are doing elsewhere. 

I would love to see a picture of you at the test...sounds super cool (and kinda stressful...that's racing!). Good luck!

In terms of your questions...

1) Yes, load the Half Aquabike plan to end on 4/21. Your adjustments look good, I only edited the last bullet: 
    • 12 April could be a swim active recovery
    • 13 April - swim workout
    • 14 April onsite recon/rehearsal with open water swim
    • 15 April is a 2hr bike as 30' to warm up in Zone 1, then 45' @ ABP. 15' again in Zone 1 then do 2x10' (5') in Zone 4 to get the feeling of pushing the end of your bike. If you are tired from Sat, then you can extend the ABP from 45' to 80'...okay?
    2) The break between AB Half and TT #2 is pretty straightforward: 

• 4/22 - OFF
    • 4/23 - Easy Spin day of 60 to 90 minutes..all zone 1 to zone 2.
    • 4/24 - Swim workout day, short run optional.
    • 4/25 - FTP workout day with main set of 4 x 8' (4') @ Zone 4.
    • 4/26 - Swim Recovery day (long pull set works)
    • 4/27 - VO2 workout day, main set of 6 x 3' (5') @ Zone 5 (or as close as you can). 
    • 4/28 - Long steady day on the bike....2.5 to 3 hours. 
    • 4/29 - OFF
    • 4/30 - Taper day with a few 1' efforts. 
    • 5/1 - TT Day!
    We can plan the rest out as we go...good luck!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @PatrickTestCBCoach McCrann - got it. I may ask you for adjustments for 23-25 April since I may have to go to Fort Carson, CO for a site visit.

BTW - great over 50 forum!  B)
  • Options
    @Joe Hallatschek - game on...you know I am here, and thanks!!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Patrick - quick note on how I did on my first "A" Race:

1. Swim 1.2mi - goal time was 37:30 and I did a 35:51. My ROKA Maverick is why. 

2. Bike 56 mi - goal was 22.5 mph and I did a 22.4 mph. My AVPWR was 232 and my NP was 237 (VI = 1.02) and my IF = .8498. Pretty flat course.

Overall time was 3:08:34 and just 11' off what I did on the same course in September (without wetsuit). Did this basically on the January OS plus one week of taper.

Thanks for good coaching!
  • Options
    Patrick - was at a meeting this week with a lot of mental free time, so I sketched out a very general training plan to get me from the BRP Bike Camp to the ITU Long Distance Aqua-Bike (Swim 3k, Bike 120K) on July 14th. Basically:

1. 6 May to 19 May - Swim Camp
    2. Load Aqua-Bike 12wk plan to end on 14 July (Sunday is 15 July)
    3. Week# 7 (27 May to 2 June) - schedule a race rehearsal on 1 June (take off a workday). This takes place of a race that I can't seem to find anywhere near me
    3. 10 Mile TT - on 13 June (between weeks #8 and #9). So, this will be a 10-16 June with maybe more swimming and a chance to absorb some fitness before the next week.
    4. Week #9 - maybe a rehearsal #2 (take off a work day)? This would be with my Road bike since the P5 should be on it's way to Denmark
    5. Week #12 - depart on Monday and race on Saturday. Do the best I can with what I can do to taper given the circumstances.

All recommendations and guidance is welcome!

Joe

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 5:15PM
    I like the overall plan. I’m not too concerned about the second race rehearsal on your road bike. That’s more just about like in the time so you’re burning calories and keeping your blood plasma up.

Maybe we can grab a few minutes at camp to discuss the areas of your approach that still need work. Curious to know how your nutrition is going, etc. I’m also not that familiar with the race course itself so maybe you could fill me in on that  I like the overall plan. I’m not too concerned about the second race Rehearsal on your road bike. That’s more just about like in the time so you’re burning calories and keeping your blood plasma up.

Maybe we can grab a few minutes at camp to discuss the areas of your approach that still need work. Curious to know how your nutrition is going, etc. I’m also not that familiar with the race course itself so maybe you could fill me in on that
  • Options
    @PatrickTestCBCoach McCrann - need some guidance. I am going into the Aquabike Week #8 next week. The next week, we inserted a "Taper Week" centered around a 10 mi Time Trial at Lowes Motor Speedway on Wednesday night, 13 June. Just got officially informed that for financial reasons, the TT Series is cancelled. Bummer.

So, instead I think it smart to insert a true race rehearsal since I can't get in a swim before my 75 mi bike on Saturday. I can on Sunday, but it's with the bungee cord in my pool at home. So, based on that:

Week 9a (9b will be the real week 9 the following week):
    Monday - swim the week #9 workout
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Race Rehearsal
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - Sun  - do the week #9 workouts. If possible, get a swim in before Sunday's ride.

Joe

• Options
    @Coach Patrick  - need some guidance on the question above.

Also - I just changed to the new Final Surge Platform and the 20 week Aquabike Full isn't quite like the 12 Week Aquabike I was tracking? What should I edit? Or, maybe use the Aquabike 20 week half? Or maybe go back the legacy training plan until after my ITU race on 14 July?

• Options
    edited June 11, 2018 1:55PM
    @Joe Hallatschek - sorry for the delay...I have been on the road for 10 days, landing at 6am this morning. Time to play catch up!!!

Losing a 10 mile TT isn't a big deal by any means. Very easy to adjust, but a bummer on the series going down. :disappointed:

I have loaded the final 5 weeks of the Full Aquabike plan into your Final Surge account and made the edits for Week 9a...You can do the Level Two bike workouts on the weekend / as you see fit. I think that you'll be okay with what's there...please check it out and we can adjust as need be!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick - perfect! Will post rehearsal results of tomorrow and see what tweaks I need help with in this final stretch!
  • Options
    @PatrickTestCBCoach McCrann. So, I need a taper week plan for the week of 9-14 July. Specifically:

9 July (Monday): Fly to Denmark. I depart my home at about 1200hrs, so I can get in a stationary bike in the morning
    10 July (Tuesday): arrive. I might be able to get my bike.
    11 July (Wednesday):?
    12 July (Thursday): I normally swim.
    13 July (Friday): I normally rest and do nothing, since this is usually bike check in, meetings, and stuff. But, there is an opportunity to swim on course from 1300-1500hrs
    14 July (Sat): race

I plan to review all the IM race prep stuff again on wiki, but this time it's a little different with no running

Thanks,

Joe

• Options
    7/9 -  stationary bike for about an hour with 3 x 5 minute efforts in zone three, two minutes of rest between them.

7/10 - assemble bike, explore, nice long walk / transition day. 

7/11 - bike 90’ to explore, assuming it’s safe to do so.  Bonus if you can be out on the course itself. Goal here is to get used to the terrain, the road surface, and how you feel. By now you will have had to plug in your devices assemble your bike and “be“ an athlete. lots to solve. efforts here are 2 x 10’ @ Z2, 2 x 5’ (5’) @ z3. 

7/12 -  this is your swim day. Do what you can to find open water and stretch things out please do your usual routine here, nothing special. 

7/13 - Generally this is a rest and the admin day. If you feel like swimming is that critical you can certainly pop in and get wet. But remember resting at this juncture usually has a bigger effect on your performance.