Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Joe Hallatschek - Need Training Plan

13»

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 09/12/2020 - ITU World Championships in the Netherlands next September. It will be a 3K swim and a 120K bike

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/22/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 1/12/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 6/21/2020
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the  -- AquaBike, 20wks to end on 9/20/2020
    • On 9/21/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/4/2020

Your Notes

Currently doing AquaBike since running is problematic with L5/4 issues.Currently #5 in AG in National ranking, AG 55-59. Also, #19 Male overall. Moving up to AG 60-64 next year.

My "A Race" for 2020 is the ITU World Championships in the Netherlands next September. It will be a 3K swim and a 120K bike.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - tracking all and have two questions:

1. Nov 10 - my Miami-Man AquaBike Nationals. I am on week #18. Based on that, I'd like to do basically nothing until after Thanksgiving and then start Durability Plan #1 and then begin the OS on Jan 6th. Cool?
    2. Mallorca 17-26 Apr '20 - how do I integrate that in the plan? I would think delay the get faster and end it on same date. For the week preceeding, just get in some long bikes, rest, and pack?
    3. Joe
  • Options

Totally,We don't have to start until you're done, Keep up the good work.Sorry I was in planning modeAnd lost track of that race. Hope you're feeling ready!

We would basically extend some of the longer rides in the Outeason so that you can roll into camp and effectively shorten the get faster plan to fill the remaining space.It's going to be epic!

• Options

Patrick - Miami-Man Nationals in the books. I place 30th Male overall and 4th in my AG.

Swim - 40:45. About 3 min slower than last year and maybe it was the no speed suit decision. I'll compare my overall place (98 out of total 377) with the last two years and if it's about the same, then maybe that was it.

T1 - smoked it. (23/377)

Bike - 23.3 mph. VI = 1.03 and NP = 247, is IF of .904. I was 32 out of 377.

Overall - I worked through more to get here than the last two years doing this Aquabike thing. So, overall I'm okay and am planning big things for next year.

• Options

@Coach Patrick - now that the details for next year's 2020 ITU Worlds in Almere are posted, I'm going to pass on that. The Aquabike distances are Swim -3.8KM, Bike - 180KM and Almere in September with wicked cold water doesn't turn me on much. 😕 So, here are my new goals:

1. A-Race = Miami-Man on 15 November 2020, HIM Aquabike
    2. Overall - be #1 in my new AG (60-64) in USA Triathlon Aquabike Rankings for 2020. This means I need to have at least 2 and preferably 4 Aquabike races. I plan to do local races so I can just taper that week and pick up the training plan where I left off.
    3. As a result of #1 and #2, automatically Qualify for 2021 ITU Aquabike Worlds in Township, Australia. Making this a destination race vacation and doing it right.😎

So, I'm thinking basically:

1. Jan OS for Cyclist
    2. Mallorca Bike Camp
    3. Then for the next 29 Weeks:
      1. Swim Camp - two weeks?
      2. Load up Aquabike 20 week plan. Between the taper for local races and work , that should work

Bottom Line: I need a new plan and if scheduling a video/facetime/phone call is better, let's do it.

Joe

• Options

@Joe Hallatschek at some point it would be a good idea for you and I to talk so we can both dBrief your race and talk about what the future holds for you. I know what I was doing office hours with Carl, he told me just how fast he went by him on the bike. He couldn’t believe it! Regardless I think your baseline plan sounds perfect.you know the course very well and you know what to do. I think the combination of a cycling focus and the trip to Mallorca will be a great way to kick start your year and keep the fun in the process as well.

i’m a little busy right now through the end of the month, but can talk to you in early December. How about you use the bottom link here to schedule a call with me and we can go from there: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

right now we just want to keep you active, loose and relaxed. If you feel like doing something that day, go for it. But nothing with intensity, and practically nothing with intent. We just want you keeping those muscles supple and trying not to go crazy from a lack of exercise. 😂

• Options

@Joe Hallatschek - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

For sorry to miss your birthday celebration, but I hope you understand. And I hope you had a fantastic time! It's nice to see the workouts rolling in. It lets me know that you're staying on track and staying healthy.

We are certainly doing our best here behind the scenes to keep the energy high and to be strategic about what's next for the team. If you have any advice or input, I'd love to hear it. I do know that one concept recently floated was to have a virtual "Tour Team" that would ride and race together in Zwift. If you are "in the game" be sure to be on the lookout here in the forums!

Stay in touch,

~ Coach P

Josef Roy Hallatschek Is on the CoachEN (1:1 Coaching, aka All The Things) and is following the AquaBike, 20wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Swim

Extra help request: Keep up the social media and reaching out

• Options

Patrick - I would like to enter IM Chattanooga for '21 and although it says tier 4 is not sold out, I can't get in. I know this is probably late given the deferrals form 2020, but it is a year out!

Since this is a Club Championship, can EN help me with a slot?

I am willing to pay 100% now at the tier 4 price.

Thank,

Joe

• Options

@Joe Hallatschek - pretty sure that was the last thing I think I've ever heard you say about doing another Iron Man! Right now registration is not open to new athletes as I think Iron Man is trying to sort out what to do with not only the people who sign up for the race, but other people who might defer into it.

Have you seen anything on social media about registration? I believe I heard what I just posted above, but I'm not 100% sure. If you want, I can email the try club people to see if they know what's happening?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - so, I thought I would never do one again also. As part of my recovery from my tragic loss in January, I went biking A LOT...🚴

In May, I met a young lady that was training for IronMan Louisville. I became her training partner and agreed to be her sherpa. Since that race is gone, she has transferred to IronMan Chattanooga in '21. Since I am her training partner and sherpa, it's a small leap to actually do it myself.

I have been doing my own "Run durability" using @Ian Kurth 's plan and have almost 500 miles in this year. So, I think I could pull it off.

If I don't get in IronMan Chattanooga, I hope to qualify for nest year's ITU AquaBike World's in the Netherlands. The "New" ITU World Championship AquaBike distance of 2.4mi Swim and 112mi bike will fit well with my training partner since her race will be about the same timeframe.

I went to FaceBook and yes, when the deferrals are done and the dust has settled, they will open it back up.

Thanks for being our Coach!

• Options

@Joe Hallatschek - Life is an incredible journey, and you have been on one heckuva ride this whole year. Sounds like you found a place of balance, which is fantastic. And the work you've been doing on the run has likely not only kept the same, but has built some great fitness as well. Nicely done!

We will wait to see what FB brings us, but in the meantime how can I help with your rotator cuff stuff? Want to make sure we are making big picture progress even in the Fall!

~ Coach P