Home General Training Discussions
Options

Zwift - Smart Trainer Recommendations?

I'm going to join Zwift and thought I'd ask if any Zwift Users can recommend any Smart Trainer?  

I've got a Garmin power meter, so don't have a need for virtual power, but obviously need the Smart trainer to be compatible with this.  I'm particularly keen on a smart trainers because I understand they automatically change the resistance dependent on the course.

Either recommendations on what features to look for in a Smart Trainer, advantages/disadvantages or specific brand/model Smart trainer recommendations would be really useful.  

Thanks in advance  :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Abbey, I would check out DC Rainmaker and his various articles on trainers. I can tell you a dumb trainer can work just fine if you don't want to drop the coin on a smart one.
    If you want to go the smart route, you can choose either direct drive (no rear wheel) or the rear wheel on resistance types. The direct drive tends to be more precise but it comes with a higher cost. There are a few threads in the gear section I would suggest you check out for others feedback. Tacx, cycleops, and wahoo are the three I've heard most about. I personally picked the wahoo kickr because of good reviews and ease of use.

One last thought, if you don't need the trainer right now, you will likely be better served waiting until the fall when trainer season kicks off and more deals may be available. 

Hope this helps. 
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner , I agree with @Scott Giljum that you do not need a smart trainer.  On the TeamEN Sunday Zwift ride, there are a few that use a power meter with a dumb trainer with no issues.  I'd recommend just trying it with your current set up (Garmin power meter).

I have a Computrainer which are now outdated and no longer being sold, but it works.  It is cool having the option to feel the terrain as you go up and down hills.  Also, erg mode is great when doing intervals.

Also check out this thread: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22057/wanted-trainer-recommendations

And this thread: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23354/smart-trainer-recos-2017-version
  • Options
    i use a kurt kinetic road machine with a PM. I've been using that trainer since 5 years and its only starting to get rust on it.. probably the sweat that went on it.. but its unkillable !
  • Options
    I would recommend a smart trainer for Zwift. While I know you can use Zwift without a smart trainer, I REALLY like being able to feel the hills and varying resistance.  I think this is part of the reason I like Zwifting so much. There is a setting in Zwift which lets you control how much you feel the hills which is nice also.

With that said, I opted for an inexpensive "wheel on" smart trainer (Tacx T2180 Vortex Virtual Smart Trainer) that got good reviews. It conntects via Ant+ so you need to buy an Ant+ dongle from Amazon for about $20. The trainer costs $500 if you buy it in the US, but I found it in Germany for $350! Arrives in the US quickly and shipping costs are low. The only difference is that it comes with a European power cord. That is an easy fix. Either get an international power adaptor, or just use a cord from one of your computers that fits into the smart trainer.
    This is where I bought it from

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx-t2180-vortex-virtual-smart-trainer-246764?currency=5&delivery_country=191&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5arMBRDzARIsAAqmJezHvm6CYFOnAe_LZS9mzuaV9PuR2FuoZe_rPlNKtOCMZT2PXN6oNogaAuf7EALw_wcB

While I am happy overall with the trainer, and it's still working well, if I were to buy one now, I would probably go with one of the direct drive trainers (so you don't wear out your back wheel) where you take you wheel off. That will of course cost you about $1,000 instead of the $350 I spent. Like @Scott Giljum said, check out DC Rainmaker for his guide.  Hope to see you Zwifting soon!
  • Options
    +1 more for dumb trainers, ha ha.  I purchased a smart trainer when I first started using Zwift.  I thought it would be awesome having the trainer change resistance to simulate the terrain.  When i'm riding outside it's easy to shift into the appropriate gear based on the visual cues I get from the terrain in front of me.  That method didn't really work for me on Zwift so you have to really pay attention to the %grade info that Zwift displays.  When i'm suffering I really don't want to have to concentrate on something like that and have to frequently shift gears.  So I sold the smart trainer and went back to the dumb trainer.  I've had no issues riding on Zwift and for me it has increased my enjoyment of the program.
  • Options
    @Doug JohnsonI love this post. I've turned down the trainer intensity in the settings because of this. I really only want the smart trainer for erg mode intervals. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies!  You,be all provided great information and some useful links. I really appreciate it