Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Moab, UT Training Camp: Wed April 18 to Sun April 22, 2018

Team,

Coach Patrick put out a call for member-led training camps and I volunteered to led a Utah training camp in Moab.  If you've never been to Moab, it is one of the most wondrous and epic places on the planet.  Personally, it's my favorite for outdoors adventures.  I've included some pics below from my various adventures there to whet your appetite.

Current Status (As of 3/26/2018): 4Signed Up

@Gabe Peterson (organizer)
@Gary Lewis
@Peter Noyes
@Jonathan Rothberg

Why Moab?

Moab is located on the Colorado River and is a short drive (or bike ride) to Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Dead Horse Point State Park.  Arches and Canyonlands are two of my favorite national parks, and Dead Horse would the treasure of just about any other state.  Moab is considered the premiere destination for mountain biking and trail running.  It also has epic road biking and miles of paved paths for road running.

This is a very family friendly destination.  My girls have a blast every time we go and they always ask when we're going back to Moab.  Consider getting a twofer and bringing the family along.

In terms of swim/bike/run, there is an embarrassment of riches for biking and running.  Here are some examples:

Cycling:

• Road bike ride on the La Sal loop (pic below).  This is a 60+ mile loop through the La Sal Mountains that features a 4,000+ ft continuous climb.  It's a real challenge.
  • Road bike ride through Arches National Park early in the morning before visitors arrive.  40+ miles out and back through another planet.
  • Road bike out to Dead Horse State Park (pic below) or Canyonlands National Park from Moab.  
  • Here are a bunch more options for road biking: http://www.discovermoab.com/moab_road_biking.htm
  • Legendary mountain biking including Slick Rock, the Whole Enchilada (rated the best trail in the country!), White Rim in a Day (pic below), and more than I can list.  There are tons of bike shops where you can rent a mountain bike in town.  Here is a great resource to get started: http://www.discovermoab.com/biking.htm
Running:
  • All the mountain bike trails are also running trails.  Additionally, you can run many of the trails in Arches where mountain bikes aren't allowed such as Devil's Garden (pic below).  I did the Dead Horse 50-miler, and not only was it spectacular but it was also very runnable.
  • If trail running isn't your thing, there is the paved Moab Canyon Pathway out of town and a similar path that runs along the Colorado River.
Swimming:
  • Options are more limited.  There is Ken's Lake, although it is likely to be cold in April.  This is where the Moab Xterra swim took place.  There is also a community pool.

How Do I Get There?

One of the things that makes Moab so special is that is is remote, making it an undiscovered gem for most outside of Utah or Colorado.  It's about a 3-4 hour drive from Salt Lake City, about a 5-6 hour drive from Denver, and about a 9-10 hour drive from So Cal.  If you fly into SLC, you'd be welcome to stay at my house the night before or after traveling to/from Moab.  There is also a regional airport in Grand Junction, CO that is about a 2 hour drive away.

Another option if you want to make this a family trip would be to fly to Las Vegas (or drive up from So Cal) and hit all five of Utah's National Parks on the trip: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands.  They are all roughly along the way to Moab.  You could also do this from SLC as a sort of loop.

When? Arrive the evening of Wednesday, April 18th through Sunday, April 22

I booked the below condo Wednesday through Sunday.  That we campers can arrive the evening of Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Lodging

I've booked the first condo at 469 Williams Way, which is part of the Cottonwood development.  I've stayed here multiple times with friends where we book 3-5 condo units in a row.  That way we can scale as additional camp members sign up.

So Who is Interested?  

I think we'd need at least four to make it worthwhile in terms of renting a house and all the logistics.  Also so we could pair off if there are different interests or ability levels.

Tagging all the EN peeps in UT and CO that I know, as well as those who enjoy a crazy adventure: @Brent Bills, @Teri Cashmore, @Mark Cardinale, @Stephanie Stevens, @Al Truscott, @tim cronk, @Francis Picard @Scott Alexander, @Scott Dinhofer, @John Withrow@Dino Sarti, @Alvin Hom, @Clark Mitchell, @Shaughn Simmons, @Coach Patrick, @Mariah Bridges, @Brenda Ross

Feel free to tag others who you think would be interested.

Road bike ride on the La Sal loop looking down at Castle Valley.

Road bike ride to Dead Horse Point.

Trail run to Dark Angel in Devil's Garden at Arches.

Remote desert on the 80-mile mountain bike ride on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I fully endorse Moab locale - well-known as THE place to go when ski towns shut down mid-end of April. Back in the 90s when I was getting into MTB, I did  a week long tour of Canyonlands, including Needles, the Maze and White Rim. Then a few years later, Kokopelli's Trail, 160 miles, (starting with that slog up and down the La Sal mountains) off road Moab to Grand Junction. There's nothing else on earth like riding up a 30 deg slickrock slope. Going the other way, riding with your butt behind the saddle almost on the rear wheel...yet easy to control. And everyone should see Delicate Arch (Arches) at least once - there's a reason it's on Utah's license plates.

Hopefully, this camp will take off and become annual, because, 2018, Mallorca. April 15-20.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott wow, those are some amazing adventures in Moab!  The Kokopelli Trail is on my bucket list.  I'm thinking I'd take my fat bike since it has mounts for packs and it's indestructible.  Just need to round up a couple buddies to do it with.

I totally forgot about Mallorca happening at the same time!  Hopefully, we can still get an EN crew together because I'd love to make this an annual thing.

To Al's point about Delicate Arch, here's a picture of me and my oldest daughter Skye standing under it.  It's about 3 miles round trip and both my 7 and 5 year old daughters made it.  There's a bunch of family friendly hikes like this around Moab.

• Options
    I am interested in this, I am doing IM Santa Rosa. Need to talk to the wife before I could commit. @Dino Sarti
      and @Jonathan Rothberg are also doing Santa Rosa.
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes it would be great to get the EN So Cal sleeper cell together, especially if we're all doing Santa Rosa!  I made some edits to the original post with thoughts on making in a family friendly trip to hit all five of the Utah's national parks.  Or just stop at Zion, Bryce, or Capitol Reef along the way to break up the drive from So Cal.

• Options
    Thanks Gabe. I don't know that I could make this a family trip. My wife isn't a fan of pulling our kid from school to go on trips  :/ I will keep you posted
  • Options
    I am interested in your camp Gabe.  Not sure if my wife is interested in coming yet, but count me in for numbers sake.
  • Options
    Love Moab. Very interested. However not the best dates for me (r2r2r planned 4/10/18). But ya never know.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2017 11:16PM
    @Gary Lewis awesome, great to have you join!

@tim cronk keep it in mind if your plans for R2R2R change.  R2R2R is still on my bucket list...
  • Options
    interested, but like Al, I am doing Mallorca this year, 2019.. .put me down for Moab 2.0
  • Options
    I am thinking about this but need to check the scheduling.  My brother-in-law just moved to Salt Lake/Park City and so my wife may want to come out and the b-i-law may want to ride with us.
  • Options
    Really interested but thinking of doing IMTX.. too much nice stuff, not enough time !!
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer we'll count you in for Moab 2.0.  Maybe we can ride the White Rim Trail!

@Robert Sabo that would be great!  The more the merrier!  Let me know if I can answer any logistics questions etc for you.

@Francis Picard keep it in mind if your IMTX plans change.
  • Options
    Hey team...apologies that I haven't pushed this thread in two months.  Life got busy when an opportunity to run the Bear 100 dropped in my lap.

I've done some research and found a few properties via AirBnB to serve as homebase for this camp.  I've used AirBnB for all my races this year and had positive experiences.  Much better than staying in a hotel when traveling with family and/or friends.  The drawback is that most of the properties have strict cancellation fees, which means you only get 50% of your money back.

Therefore, I'm looking for who is definitely in and would be willing to make a $250 deposit?  That way I can reserve a place without taking the risk that I'm out the money for the house.  I would need three definite commitments to make this camp viable.  I'm expecting the camp to cost $300-500 per attendee, depending on how many ultimately sign up.

Tagging folks who expressed interest.  @Robert Sabo, @Gary Lewis, @Peter Noyes, @Dino Sarti @Jonathan Rothberg

Who is definitely in and would be willing to make a $250 deposit?
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson I am pretty sure I am in.  My wife would like to join as a spectator/chef and to sightsee.  I just need to confirm dates.  Road bike or Tri bike?
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson I am pretty sure I am in.  My wife would like to join as a spectator/chef and to sightsee.  I just need to confirm dates.  Road bike or Tri bike?
    Uh, isn't Moab the Mecca of Mountain Biking...?
  • Options
    Awesome!  Here's how I would prioritize bikes:
    1. Road bike.  Most of the road rides involve significant climbing/descending.  While you could do it on a tri bike, it would be way more fun on a road bike.
    2. Mountain bike, if you have one.  As Al noted, Moab is the mountain biking mecca.  There are also a number of bike shops in Moab that rent MTBs.
    3. Tri bike, if you don't have a road bike.
    I may bring all three. :smile:
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson

Let me double check with my wife before I say I am in for sure. I would probably bring just a road bike.
  • Options
    I'm very interested but just can't commit... R2R2R is scheduled for 4/10 ... But if all goes well we could show up... Sorry No commitment tho :-)
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes great!  Let me know when you get the all clear from your wife.

@tim cronk it would be great to have you there.  I just need to get a couple of commitments to book a place.  We can add more attendees as people's schedules clear up.
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson You know I'm interested, but R2R2R with @tim cronk is my priority for 2018 and since I need to keep my job I can't possibly do both.  Hopefully this camp will become a recurring thing and I can go next year.

• Options
    @Gabe Peterson Great news! I am IN. Just to confirm, it is still April 19 - 22 right?? How do I send deposit?
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson  I am in as well.   So is @Dino Sarti  (he is our ride).
  • Options
    I may bring my family!  My kids have no school Thursday and Friday of that weekend....  
  • Options
    @Dino - Aren't Peter and Jonathan your family/kids?
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes, @Jonathan Rothberg, and @Dino Sarti awesome!  It's going to be a PTC reunion!

@Peter Noyes, yeah April 19-22.  It's probably about a 9-10 hour drive from LA, so you may want to break up the drive with a stop over in St George or someplace along the way.

@Dino Sarti if you bring your family, do you want to arrange separate accommodations?  We can probably find some condos that are closely located.

So I think we have critical mass with the three of you plus @Gary Lewis to make this camp happen!  I'll send you guys a separate message with payment instructions.
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson thank you for setting this up!!
  • Options
    Taking this party to Facebook for organizing and planning.  I've created the Facebook group EN Epic Moab Training Camp and included the folks above who are committed to the camp in the group.
  • Options
    This is intriguing-  is there any chance of making it a full week's event?
  • Options
    @Satish Punna probably not.  However, I'd be happy to recommend some activities and places to check out if you want to stay a couple extra days.  For example, you could hit all five of Utah's National Parks.  Canyonlands and Arches are right at Moab.  Capitol Reef is about 2 hours away from Moab, Bryce is about 2 hours from there, and Zion is about 1.5 hours from Bryce.
  • Options
    I've reserved the first condo at 469 Williams Way.  I've stayed at these condos many times before where me and my friends would rent 3-5 units along the street.  This unit should hold 6 campers comfortably.  If more sign up, I'll rent another unit on the street.  There are tons of rides right from the front door and downtown Moab is just a couple blocks away.