Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Moab, UT Training Camp: Wed April 18 to Sun April 22, 2018

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Coach Patrick the EN Epic Moab Camp is coming up next month.  Could you help us structure it with a template for what to do each day?  Most of the campers will arrive the evening of Wednesday, April 18 or Thursday morning and leaving Sunday. 

My thoughts are:
    • Thursday - as a moderate day since folks will be weary from traveling.  Maybe a medium distance ride and easy run.  May make the run a trail run in some place like Arches, which ensures it will be easy because there will be lots of stops for pics.
    • Friday - hit it hard with a long ride and longer run.
    • Saturday - another hard day.
    • Sunday - maybe an easy run or bike before folks head out.
    There is a ~15yd pool at the condo we're staying at.  It's okay for a short swim.  I'm researching other options.  How important is getting long swims in the camp?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2018 5:28PM
    @Gabe Peterson My thoughts based on hosting camps and my years spent MTBing and the times I've gone to Moab... Number one goal here is to discover and enjoy the world-class slick rock riding. Everything else should be optional. Shred the campers' legs on trails, and allow for maybe a couple of bricks of 15-30 minutes. This is a volume blast and opportunity to get off of the "I'm training for a triathlon" merry-go-round for a long weekend. Campers should end up with memories of just how epic the biking was.

I'd say, forget about swimming at all for this brief camp. And run for the scenery, not for training value. Speaking of Arches, consider the brief run through Wall Street. That trail is wide enough to allow for runners without inconveniencing the tourists who are walking. Or if you do a trail to, say Landscape or Delicate Arch, do that at sunrise, again to avoid crowds, and also to get that great early morning light for photos. You, and the campers, will not lose any swimming or running fitness, and will leave camp refreshed and rejuvenated for more standard training.

PS...equally important is finding great venues for the massive evening meals you'll be eating/drinking.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott great advice!  I was just in Moab this weekend.  After several visits, it's still one of my favorite places on the planet!

I think you're right about the swimming.  There is a pool at the condo, if any of the campers are really jonesing to swim.  I did an recovery swim in it Sunday and it wasn't bad.

I am planning to line up some of the most epic rides and runs, both on the road and trails, for the camp.  We'll definitely take your advice on Arches.  Delicate Arch would be a great sunrise/sunset run/hike.  I also love Devli's Garden.

I'm planning to bring my MTB and introduce the willing campers to some of the best MTBing in the world!  I'll also mix in some road rides, like riding out to Dead Horse Point and/or Canyonlands.  If the snow pack on the La Sal Mountains melts, we may do the La Sal loop.  The La Sals looked snowed in this weekend.  It's an epic day of climbing with highlights like Castle Valley (the exterior for the new West World).

Are you still doing Mallorca?  If not, you should join us!
  • Options
    I am excited @Gabe Peterson . I have never ridden a MTB so I think I will stick to road. As for swimming don't worry about me. I might bring a Vasa if I can find a way to fit it in a car.
  • Options

Are you still doing Mallorca?  If not, you should join us!
    Heading for Spain 4-9 >> 26, otherwise I;d be there with you all
  • Options
    I am excited @Gabe Peterson . I have never ridden a MTB so I think I will stick to road. As for swimming don't worry about me. I might bring a Vasa if I can find a way to fit it in a car.
    Three weeks before IMSR probably wouldn't be the best time to try MTBing. :smile:

I'd love to try the Vasa if you bring it.  I've considered buying one but haven't found anyone in SLC who has one to try.
  • Options
    For folks who been following this thread and have been on the fence, we have space for 1-2 more campers.  Dino had to cancel due to a family commitment.  Don't miss out on an opportunity to train at one of the most epic places on the planet!
  • Options

I had a good chat with @Coach Patrick to structure the camp.  Here is the outline we came up with.  I included links to all the destinations so get real clicky.

Thursday: Settle In
    Morning: Shakeout trail run in Arches National Park.  We can do Devil's Garden or Delicate Arch to get approximately 1 hour in.  This will be a chill run/hike with lots of stops for pictures.
    Mid-Day: Road bike ride out along the Colorado River to Castle Valley.  If you watch the HBO show Westworld, Castle Valley is the outside scenes.  This will be about 40-45 miles round trip with lots of stops for pictures.  If anyone wants to get bonus miles in, they can check out the Moab Bike Path.
    Late Afternoon: Optional dirt ride out to Hurrah Pass from the condo.  This starts out as paved road and then turns into a well-maintained dirt road, with the last mile or so being a jeep road.  @Jonathan Rothberg is bringing his gravel bike and I'll have my XC MTB.

Friday: Big Bike Day
    Morning: Early start to ride out to Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park.  This will be about 80 miles with about 3500ft of vertical. Mesa Arch will look familiar because it appears in numerous TV shows, movies, and pictures.  It's a popular stock Windows desktop image.  If we want to get in more miles, we can detour over to Dead Horse Point State Park or check out more of Canyonlands to make it closer to 100 miles.
    Afternoon: Run off the bike.  We can do Morning Glory Bridge trail run / hike which is about 10 minutes driving from the condo.  Alternatively, folks wanting to road run can do the path along the Colorado.

Saturday: Take No Prisoners Ride
    Morning:  Do a 40-60 mile ride where we push the pace and dropping is allowed.  We could do the ride out to Dead Horse State Park, if we don't do it Friday.  If we get up super early, we could ride through Arches.  Arches gets busy and the road has no shoulder so we'd have to hit it before the swarms of tourists.  Potash Road is another option.
    Mid-Day:  Run off the bike.  We could do one of the above runs that we haven't hit.
    Afternoon:  Sightseeing or chilling.

Sunday: Long Run Before Hitting the Road
    We'll probably want to do something time efficient from the condo.  My buddy did this run along the Colorado when we stayed at the same condo a couple weeks ago.

Let me know what you think.

• Options
    @Gabe Peterson it all looks beautiful.  What are the temps like this time of year - same as Phoenix?
  • Options
    The temps should be around 40 in the morning getting into the 70s in the
    afternoon. It is the Mountain West so the weather can be unpredictable.
    I've been snowed on in May in Moab, so bring some winter cycling gear just
    in case.
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson I live in AZ and I'm a cold weenie.  What are these winter cycling clothes you speak of?  :D
  • Options
    Officially backing out of my possible MOAB camp. Going to the Grand Canyon this weekend, have to be home next thursday to relieve our dogsitter and then I'm getting a new roof on the house. One of my old buddies who I used to go to MOAB with all the time called me out of the blue tonight.. So jealous of you lucky campers... Many rock climbing/base jumping adventure memories, so when in Castle Valley take a peak at Castleton Tower, Heather and I climbed that , jumped off , and flew the parachutes all the way back to the car !  Enjoy the Magic!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2018 10:09PM
    Hi Rock Stars:

I am in Moab now for a week to MTB (on day 4).  If you do get a chance to get off the pavement, rent a MTB and head out.  Bar M Ranch area isn't "too technical" and a great place to see some nice views.  If you want techie, Mag 7 this time of year is great.

Dirt of amazing and the weather is even better (no layers needed!).  You will have a blast either way.

Have fun in Moab all!

~Starkles.

• Options
    @tim cronk bummer, but can't wait to hear about your R2R2R adventure!  I'm hoping to make the Moab Camp an annual thing, so there's next year...

@John Stark awesome pics!  Bar M are a great option a short distance from town.  I hit it up when I was there in March to do a recovery MTB ride after the Canyonlands HM.  I've run Mag 7 as part of the Dead Horse 50 but never ridden it.  I just remember how spectacular the views were and how much my legs hurt from the slickrock.  You'll have to come to the Moab camp next year so I'll have someone to MTB with. :smile: