Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Bend, OR: Swim, Bike, Run, Shenanigans [WED June 13 to MON June 18, 2018]

edited September 27, 2017 5:33PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺
What: Pacific Northwest Option Led by @Jenn Edwards
Time: Tentatively Wednesday, June 13th - Monday, June 18th. 
Lodging: House(s) in Sunriver Resort
Bike: Yes, Run: Yes, Swim: Yes!  (*** Meg Ryan impression.***) 
Spouse Activities: Yes!!!  
Airport: Bend, Oregon

Current Status as of 08/30/2017: 0 Signed Up
  • Roster will go here as folks sign up.

A Few Notables:

• Sunriver is a beautiful resort a few miles outside of Bend proper.  The property will likely be in the resort and chosen based on the number of campers, couples, etc.  It's a fabulous area for outdoor activities with trails, an outdoor lap pool and easy access to the great rides and runs sure to come! 
  • The June date is situated such that athletes could consider staying through the balance of the week and racing in the Pacific Crest Endurance Sports Festival scheduled for June 22-28, 2018.  The festival is a celebration of endurance events with something for everyone - from a kids run, 25k trail run, duathlon, aqua-bike, 5k, half-marathon, marathon, etc. oh YES and a half(ish) ironman distance called Beastman.  Think Wildflower-esque!  
  • Any campers considering flying in know that we'll be glad to pick folks up at the airport to avoid the need to rent a car as logistics allow.
  • We'll start to flush out details in early Fall.  Any interested campers I'd welcome your input as to what you'd like to see and if you are likely to be interested in a non-camping spouse option.    

Prepare for shenanigans!   ;) 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I am very interested - great timing in advance of IM Canada.
  • Options
    Thanks @Jenn Edwards.  My son lives in Bend and I vacation in Sunriver twice a year on average.  To clarify, while there is an airport in Bend, the regional airport is in Redmond (20 min north of Bend).  I think maybe Horizon airlines flies there???  For those coming from further away Portland would be the logical spot and then someone from Portland or on there way through from Washington could possibly pick you up.  Sunriver is about 3 1/2 hours drive from Portland.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2017 5:43PM
    @Brian Gaffin - FANTASTIC!   Anything in particular you'd like or not like to see?  Any interest in a spouse option?  If you're flying we could probably transport your bike and save you some cash.

@Tom Box - Man you are a wealth of information here. THANK YOU!

FWIW my husband and I are planning a trip down in October for a bit of R&R + camp reconnaissance.  If anyone else has interest in heading there at about that time consider pinging me on the chance we could coordinating dates if only to raise a pint together. You know, pre-shenanigans shenanigans.  ;)

• Options
    @Jenn Edwards Thanks - most likely I'll come from Beaverton - that's my work location during the week and since it is summer and if school is out by then, my wife often comes down for the week.  Spouse options are important to earning SAUs, especially in a year when I'm planning to purchase a new bike.  
  • Options
    @Jenn Edwards Thanks - most likely I'll come from Beaverton - that's my work location during the week and since it is summer and if school is out by then, my wife often comes down for the week.  Spouse options are important to earning SAUs, especially in a year when I'm planning to purchase a new bike.  
    Smart.  SAU bank typically directly proportional to bike purchase approval!  
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2017 7:16PM
    I am so all over this. Already planned on racing Pac. crest HIM next year. I live 3 hours West of Bend and go up there several times a year. We have already booked a camp ground for Pac. crest. Would be a great recon. weekend. Just have to be careful not to burn too many candles. My family would definitely hate the idea of kayaking, mountain biking, bakeries and beer.
    @JohnStark- He lives in Bend. He might be a good on the ground resource. I can contact him if you like. 
    @Mark Maurer- Interested?????

People can fly into Eugene as well. Nice little commuter airport.

What a great idea Jenn! Let me know if you need help.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2017 9:58PM
    I am planning on doing Pac. Crest HIM. Is anyone else thinking of doing Pac. Crest??????

Let me know when you are coming in October.
  • Options
    @Jacklyn Moore
    Roger that re: October and we are not actually planning on PAC Crest ourselves but there are lots of options on the table for us - nothing is ruled out!  
  • Options
    @Jenn Edwards I'm interested!  I live in Northern Cal. I bet I could talk my husband into it. Considering the PAC Crest as well. 
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard
    FANTASTIC!   

I'll be getting a survey up for anyone interested to weigh in with preferences in the next week.  We are in a weird space where it's time to look at booking stuff (hello IM's selling out a year in advance!) but family plans aren't completely set yet.  We'll do our best to navigate with the deets we can nail down early and refine as we go. 

EXCITING!  
  • Options
    @Jenn Edwards
    I will most likely be in for this fun! My wife is not an EN member but is a triathlete and would be interested in being around also. Would also be fun to get together if you make your trip in October. Keep us posted. Great time to MTB in Bend!
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin Roger that - I'll keep you posted and high-five on tri-marriage!  
  • Options
    Hey Cool Kids!  

Planning is in full swing for camp and your interest is most appreciated.  If you have any inkling at all that you may attend, please complete this (SUPER brief) survey by Friday, 10/13/17.  

Viva la shenanigns!   

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q3MZK9P

Here are the questions, to save you lurkers a click through...   :D

Bend 2018 Triathlon Camp: Swim, Bike, Run & Shenanigans
    Easy Peasey Fall 2017 Interest Survey

Greetings!  

Yep, it's happening!  Triathletes are invading Bend, Oregon for a long weekend of swim, bike, run and (most importantly) shenanigans hosted by Mark and Jenn Edwards.  Interested?  Help us plan by answering a few easy peasy questions as follows.  Don't be shy now, here's your chance to help us plan camp to maximize your own personal mojo!

A few notable details: 

Dates
    06/13/18 Wednesday - Arrive
    06/14/18 Thursday - S/B/R/Shenanigans
    06/15/18 Friday - S/B/R/Shenanigans
    06/16/18 Saturday - S/B/R/Shenanigans
    06/17/18 Sunday - S/B/R/Shenanigans
    06/18/18 Monday Depart

Logistics
    Tentatively, the schedule includes five nights of lodging in the lovely resort community of Sunriver, Oregon. Yes, this is where the Pacific Crest Multisport Festival will be taking place the following weekend.  Coincidence?  We think not!   Swim, bike, run and shenanigan options abound and will be honed in based on camper skill and preference.

Pricing
    - TBD: The Edwards are taking a reconnaissance trip to Bend this fall (10/13/17-10/15/17) to research our best options for epicness. You will be provided with pricing and further details shortly thereafter and in advance of the deposit window opening.  
    - 10/31/17: Spooky!  Deposits window opens.  Secure your spot with a refundable $250 deposit.
    - 12/31/17: Deposit window closes, the deposit becomes nonrefundable and our camp roster is set.  Let the shenanigans begin!  
    - First Dibs!  Campers will select their rooms based on the order in which they paid their deposit.  Get yours in early and score a fancy King suite.
    - Balance Due: TBD - The date the balance is due will be determined prior to the point your deposit becomes nonrefundable. 

Thanks for helping us make this AWESOME for you!
    OK

1. Who are  you?  (Told ya this was easy!) 

2. How do you feel about the proposed length and dates of camp? 

This will work perfectly

I can make it work

It would be better if it was shorter to save time and/or money

I'd rather do camp as part of the Pacific Crest Multisport Festival Wednesday 06/20 - Monday 06/25

These dates don't work for me but I'm interested if they change
    Tell us more... 

3. Is there anything specific you'd like to get out of camp? 

I want to swim, bike and run 'till I can't even partake in shenanigans.

I want to train a bit and also have some time to explore the town or have some downtime.

I'm training for a specific event and will have specific targets for training.

I'm easy and will go with the flow. 
    Tell us more...

4. Would you potentially bring a non-camping friend or significant other to camp?     

I'd absolutely bring my BFF or significant other.

I may bring them - it would depend on their availability and/or the cost. 

I'll be flying solo and that's the way I like it. 
    As many of the homes available have King or Queen beds, this option may make it easy for the two of you to enjoy some time away while still enjoying your own respective recreation proclivity. The smarter halves will be drinking wine or mountain biking while we shell our selves on TT bikes.  Tell us more... especially if you'd be bringing a +1 so we can research the best the lodging options.

5. Is there anything else you'd like us to know about your camp preferences or ideas?    

• Options
    glad you are getting this going, the proximity to al camp makes it hard for me to do THIS year, in 2019, if you can get this going, I'll be there!!! Bend is on my list of places to go 
  • Options
    That a long camp. Remember peeps. Bend is at elevation for us low land people. You will feel it.
    Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Filled out the survey...
  • Options
    Just got a text from John Stark who is helping to plan this event.  I was told my attendance is mandatory :).  I'm officially interested. Will fill out the survey now!
  • Options
    Yay @Tom Glynn ! To say John is excited would be an understatement...   :D
  • Options
    @Jacklyn Moore Susan and I are planning a bike trip in France in June so I won't be able to make it. 
  • Options
    I might be able to get to this!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2017 7:54PM
    It's that time! Operation Bend Shenanigans has lift off! 

We tossed the deets on a web site just to keep them on something dynamic, rather than in a static post.  I'll post here when a significant update is posted.  Note the site is password protected with the password "Bend".  Sneaky, right?https://edwardsmjoj.wixsite.com/tricamp

Most of the "what you need to know" I've pasted here to keep it easy for ya for now.  

Bottom line, it's deposit time!  Ohhh and if you do one thing check out the highlight videos on the "about" page to get a sense of our vibe if you're on the fence.

Cheers!  

THE LATEST
    The most recent update on camp and what you need to know.  
    Updated 10/31/17
    Let's Do This!

Secure your spot in camp with a refundable deposit.  Why get your deposit in early other than to ensure you don't miss out on the shenanigans?  You get to call "shotgun" on sleeping arrangements!  Check out the "Lodging" page to learn more.   

Key Dates: Deposit and Payment

- 10/31/2017 - 12/31/17: Reserve your spot in camp with a refundable deposit.   
    - 01/01/2018: The ball drops on New Year's Eve and your deposit becomes non-refundable. 
    - 03/31/2018: Final payment due.  Shenanigans ensue!

Key Dates: Camp Activities
    - 06/13/18 Wednesday: The home is available to campers after 4:00 PM.  
    - 06/14/18 Thursday: Camp officially kicks off with a welcome reception at 6:00 PM.    ​
    ​- 06/15/18 Friday: Planned activities include a long bike, run, yoga and dinner. 
    - 06/16/18 Saturday: Ohhhh more bike saddle time!  Plus a massage and dinner.  
    - 06/17/18 Sunday: It's long run day. Camp closes at noon - stay the night if you'd like! 
    ​​- 06/18/18 Monday: The home is available until 11:00 AM. 

Join us in beautiful central Oregon for a long weekend of training with your teammates.  Camp is headquartered in the recreational paradise resort community of Sunriver near Bend in the shadow of Mt. Bachelor.  We've taken care of many of the administrative details for you so you can focus on the training and shenanigans!  The fridge will be stocked, the routes supported and the learnings ample.  You'll leave camp, fitter, smarter and maybe even better looking!  ​

• Options
    Deposit sent!
  • Options
    Hi Jenn,
    Thanks for putting this together.  Great website,too.  Can you tell us a little more about the house.  I need the deets before my wife (non-triathlete) commits.
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2017 5:02PM
    Deleted.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2017 5:02PM
    Deleted.

• Options
    @Robert Sabo of course - wise man!   ;) 

Here is the description as written.  Note that it is looking very likely that we will be looking into a second house as well.  So..... this house or one very much like it! Our intent is to put couples in bedrooms with King or Queens.  I'll  spell out the gameplan prior to deposits becoming non-refundable so everything is copasetic.  I also added five more images to the page with the lodging deets on it.  Hope that helps and if not don't hesitate to ping me back.  

https://edwardsmjoj.wixsite.com/tricamp/lodging-1

"Escape to this 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom (2950+/- sq.ft.) Sunriver home. Located near Fort Rock Park in a very nice area, this home can accommodate large families and groups with ease. All bedrooms have at least a sink if not a full bath. There is a formal dining room, a spacious living room and a family room. Nice large back deck with gas BBQ is perfect for your outdoor dining. Enjoy the hot tub and wood burning fireplace. Complimentary high-speed internet."

• Options
    DEposit done!!! 
  • Options
    Deposit for my spouse and I is IN
  • Options
    11/10/17 Update

Good news everyone - Tri Camp Bend is most certainly a big GO!!!  Actually, we filled up the rental house in something under EIGHT HOURS of opening camp last week. WOW. Registrations kept trickling in so we went ahead and reserved a second home just down the street.

What this means to you is: If you've already registered (namely plunked down a deposit via in the "register" page) we anticipate being able to accommodate you.  If you have NOT registered - don't delay as we don't intend to open a third home in the interest of keeping the quality of the experience high.   Rest assured, that one of the many beauties of being headquartered in Sunriver is once all is said and done if we need to do some juggling of housing (get one ginormous house, two large homes, etc.) we have lots of options.    We'll make that call either at the end of the deposit window on 01/31/17 or if that second home fills, whichever comes first.

Two other notable updates were made today:
    - We been updated to reflect the availability of the 25y lap pool right in Sunriver. Schweet!
    - Our "non-camping spouse" option has been changed to a "partner" option.  Namely because we welcome all couples, married or not. Also, if your partner wants to partake in some or all of the camp activities they are most welcome and yes, we will feed them too!

^^^^ FYI, this update was posted on the website under "The Latest" tab to live on in perpetuity.  

Cheers and Shenanigans!  

- Jenn

P.S.  If Bend isn't in the cards for you, options abound!  
    06/13/18: Bend (this one!)
    Password: "Bend"
    https://edwardsmjoj.wixsite.com/tricamp