Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2017 IM Louisville- Week 14- Time for Run Focus

Week 14- Run Focus Week

Alrighty folks- how ya’ll doin?!? Let’s all check in and hear how things are going! Things are certainly ramping up, CTLs goin up and ya’ll are ROCKSTARS!

So coach declared this a “Run Focus Week”.  What that means is if possible, aim for a few more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do.   HOWEVER- This is entirely optional, it simply plays into their separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase. 

In saying that, as we start the week- check in with yourself.  How are you feeling? How’s your body handling the training stress? Make sure to watch this weeks videos- LOTS of important information about the critical volume push and where to put the long run in the final weeks.  (Located on the right side of your Training Plan page).

There is some EXTREMELY important and valuable information about smart training.

Alright Louisville Crew-Make sure to post in the forum or social media so we can see your hard work this week.  Make sure to tag EN and friend  your teammates (and me, if you haven’t done so already!!!)  This is hands down going to be an awesome group of EN'rs and I can't wait for you to crush it. Go out there and make us proud!

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  

STRYD: Running with Power.

Stryd is the world's first wearable power meter for running, and this community will help shape how runners incorporate power into training and racing.

Code: endurancenation

Discount: 20% off until January 15, 2017 then 10% off going forward. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited August 28, 2017 12:02PM
    On the elliptical due to achilles issues but going to try to add some extra time in to get the extra time in at the HR prescribed.  Looking forward to some good swims and bike this week as we look forward to camp week next week.

Also, looked at the videos and they are awesome!
  • Options
    This week will be split in 2 for me.
    First half will mostly be to keep on my recovery, my mind "thinks" I am ready but I havent really tried it, so basically 2 swims, one 60' on zwift and about 60' of bike commute.

Today I tried the IMLV course on Zwift, I like how its build by intervals and I think that's something I need to explore when I'll do the long rides (week 15 and 18) by having the numbers in front of me, it will force me to hit those targets.. BBS is really something I gotta dig into it this week.

I plan on resume serious training on Wednesday, will not ramp up the run at your level but plan to be back at 6/week frequency.

Taking a day off this Friday for the long week end, I plan on doing a 100KM bike ride with a 3K swim just before. Sunday & Saturday will be off as I have family commitment that I cant put aside.
  • Options
    Forgot about the videos; just got caught up; they are great!
  • Options
    This is a perfect time for run focus for me.  I am going to Paris Thursday to Tuesday.  I hope to get in a few good runs there, but my body needs a little break, so I am going to enjoy the weekend off.  I am adjusting my schedule this week to do swim / run today; FTP bike / Brick run Tuesday; TRP Run Wednesday; Long Run Thursday morning.  I will run when I can in Paris.

@Francis Picard - Take a look at @Coach Patrick post on his Kona training.  He and You are on the same time line.  @Dave Tallo had some good comments in there as well.
  • Options
    Yup I've seen this last night, I need to build myself a clear plan for the next weeks, I still have 18 days of vacation available this year and wish to make good use of it, specially kids are back to school.

I even thought of driving down to Louisville to see some country ! but the ride back will be painful =)

As for Dave's comments, I am on the fence of the last big week.. I usually do it in the front of the week instead of the week end as such it gives me more rest time before race day.. but dont know if that keeps me sharper.

My main worry is regarding doing the last long run, my mind wants to do a long one, my body tells me its not a good idea - anyway we will see when we get there.

• Options
    @Francis Picard - the last long run is not a good idea.   You did it already ... in tremblant.   The only reason people think this is a good idea is for the confidence it builds.   I would try to find it somewhere else.

Fwiw, my longest run between IMCanada and IMLou will be 90 minutes (and I'm taking a "run focus" in this build).
  • Options
    Also, you're in Montreal, right?  Flights to Lou are dirt cheap from YYZ, and make a training trip feasible.
  • Options
    @Dave Tallo yes from YUL, flights are around 300-350.

I agree with the you on the long run, its only for confidence, for me, the time would be better invested into the bike
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - @Paul Curtin and I are planning on going to Louisville Friday afternoon / evening (arriving by 8:00) of September 22.  We will ride the course Saturday and Sunday and then head back home Sunday afternoon / evening. 

I believe @Derrek Sanks was interested as well.

• Options
    I am back in overall focus.. last week was a good overall week, this week is a stupid light week in the office so I am trying to do an overall big training week. Legs still feel fried every time I get on the bike, or run, but the numbers look great, so I will go with it.

Wish I knew about the 22nd weekend, I will be finishing up a altitude camp in Colorado that week.. 
    Good to see some chatter here!
  • Options
    Just check in with my wife and she is working on that week end.. that means drainer time for me :(
  • Options
    Today, I did the 6x100 yd benchmark set that's part of Monday's swim workout for the third time since jumping in this IM build and saw a slight bump in my average pace.  Week 10 average was 1:29; Week 11, 1:30; and Week 14, 1:27. That was nice and unexpected to see.
    But on the downside, I tweaked my right inner thigh muscle during part 2 of my split long run.  I've never done this before.  PT said it isn't a pulled muscle and gave it a good massage.  This week will be a very light running week vice a run focus week.  I'll make up for it by doing more swims and longer rides.
    Due to travel this Friday/Saturday, I shifted this week's workouts one day to the left and hope to get in Saturday's long ride early Friday before leaving.

• Options
    @Francis Picard - @Paul Curtin and I are planning on going to Louisville Friday afternoon / evening (arriving by 8:00) of September 22.  We will ride the course Saturday and Sunday and then head back home Sunday afternoon / evening. 

I believe @Derrek Sanks was interested as well.

@Brian Hagan, Google maps just told me it's a 9 hr drive!  That's a long a$$ all day drive!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks - if you drive steady power, you can make it in 8:35 :neutral:
  • Options
    That's a long drive @Derrek Sanks ... and if you were still thinking of making that an RR weekend it would awfully taxing across all systems

If the road trip doesn't work, here are some notes from a recon trip last year: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/21645/im-lou-bike-course-recon-notes

And I assume you'll do a recon ride during race week.  Here's a good route that Ed Eovino and I rode on Thursday; it covers the area around Ballard School Road:  https://www.strava.com/routes/6538075

• Options
    @Brian Hagan - I found the course file from last year's 93-mile ride: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13476119

We could add an early segment to cruise west on 42 to Prospect and back; or maybe add that to the Sunday ride
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - Cool.  Looks like we park at the church and ride.
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin

Thanks for the share ! that a nice indication for me, I never rode the course, looks like a few hills down there !

Just compared with IMMT and its almost 250M less of climbing
  • Options
    Looks like training is shaping up well for every one! Glad to close out last week with 9 hrs of riding, just over 5 hours of running and 3 hours of swimming. Felt good going into this week as I'm looking forward to getting over 40 miles of running in. Had one night of travel so I had to adjust a few WKOs to get all the work in. Monday's 6x100 test set were spot on with a 1:26 average so the swim progress has me pleased. Looking to add two additional run in the evening and adding an extra 5-10 minutes per run to hit the magic number for the week. The long run will be a split run this week due to time. 
  • Options
    Since I'm racing the 70.3 at Chattanooga next weekend, this weekend is supposed to be race rehearsal #1.  Not off to a great start though; the weather from Harvey brought strong winds and rain.  It's time to improvise

The planned swim was shortened ...
    https://youtu.be/GMvt2XCgCsg

... and did a swim-run brick instead of trying to bike outside ...
    https://youtu.be/KfdH0_d1A0A

... fortunately it's a long weekend so there will be more chances to salvage a decent RR.  Next up: I'm going to take a nap and reboot with a new plan
  • Options
    Friday's race rehearsal turned out okay: got in a 3-hour trainer workout on the IM Lou course.  Today's weather was still horrible - the remnants from Harvey - tomorrow should bring better conditions for training.  Here's a video update from today:

https://youtu.be/jgMVZgBfrl4

• Options
    @Paul Curtin, great way to improvise, adapt and overcome! Hit 4 hours on the trainer with a 40 minute treadmill run. Cut the ride from 5 to 4 hours because I slept in a bit - 9.5 hours. Feeling great!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - Thanks for the course info/notes! Right now I'm planning to arrive Wednesday evening race week giving me Thursday to check out the bike course. Sorry the weather altered your RR, but you seemed to still get in solid training. Nice videos!
    @Jeff Kane - You're killing it! Nice work.

I had to alter my week. Did a 2.5 hr ABP ride on the trainer Friday, they went out of town for a day.  On Sunday, I'm planning a swim/5 hr ride.  I also took off from running all week due to a slight muscle strain...I'm about to test it out tonight.
  • Options
    We finally had decent weather today ... @Brian Hagan you picked a good weekend for Paris ... it was nasty here in the Midwest

Here's the update from Race Rehearsal Day 3:
    https://youtu.be/3w1lHGucsoM
  • Options
    Nasty weather day here in the NY area as the remnants of Harvey blew through. SOrryy for the lack of posting, but this was a big week. This is always a dead week in business, so I opted to do a big tri week.. 

Time – 30.25 hrs
    TSS - 1772
    Swim – 19,584 yards; 4wkos
    Bike – 4 rides, 303 miles, no FTP work, rides could have been better quality, too many admin/pee/email stops
    Run – 50.4 miles – 5 runs (2x14 miles including today’s rainy run)

Stick a fork in me, big tri week dun!

this brings us back to a normally scheduled training week next week!

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer, epic work there my friend! In the mountains this weekend and called audible. 7 mile run this morning with 715 ft of gain. No bike, just family time and looking for a second home on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hit 40+ mile run week so things are shaping up. Took off next Friday from work to hit the entire RR weekend as outlined. Plan to sleep in tomorrow and rev it back up Tuesday, excited about the week! 

@Paul Curtin, nice reporting over the weekend. Taper well and I'll be watching you at Choo!!
  • Options
    What a week, everyone! I got to just shy of 42 miles in the run bump week. The magnitude of all this training has become eye opening this week. Yikes, what have I signed up for?!  I'm tired! But, I am looking forward to next week.  I too am taking Friday off and have recruited a couple of people to play hooky with me.   But for now, I think I may actually take a rest day tomorrow.  Feels odd, but I think it's needed.  All the pools are closed tomorrow with the Labor Day holiday so I'll take that as a sign.
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez, good call! No swim for me either, so that means no slacking the rest of the week!
  • Options
    What an awesome week for the Lou crew!

@Derrek Sanks -- I see from Strava that you nailed the swim-bike workouts today; great work!

@Scott Dinhofer -- dang, that's like a pro triathlete's week ... incredible volume ... 1772 TSS is crazy!

@Sabra Gonzalez -- you had an awesome week!  Definitely take the rest day; the ROI from rest will pay you back tenfold, especially with the RR weekend coming up

@Jeff Kane -- I think four hours on the trainer is worth at least five outdoors; way to get it done!
  • Options
    Looks like everyone had a good week!!!

Still working through the achilles problem so on the elliptical.  I got in a lot more time this week with a 2 hour session on Thursday.  That was torture but not as bad as I thought it would be.  Kept thinking, 2 hours here is nothing compared to race day, just keep going.  Got in some walking as well.  I can walk with minimal pain and the elliptical is pain free.  Still waiting to run as I have started back to early before and

Also got in a couple decent swims, a 95 mile ride on Saturday, and 25 mile ride on Sunday.

All in all it was a good week for me.  My best take away from the week was that I felt really good for Sunday's ride and was able to ride fairly strong for me.  Last week I rode 75 on Saturday and when I went to ride on Sunday it was tough.  I cut it short and struggled through 20 miles.  So it was nice this week to feel good.

Looking forward to this week.  Not going to make it to Louisville for the camp week but I have found a great 28 mile loop from my house so I will be doing 4x28 on Friday so that I can reload at the house.  The climb per loop is 1,042' so 4 times will be 4,168'.  Not quite Louisville but it lays out pretty close to the middle section of Louisville.