Home Announcements 🎙
Options

VOTE: 2018 Additional Half / 70.3® Selection for a Key Race

edited August 30, 2017 6:14PM in Announcements 🎙
We'll already be at Florida 70.3® on April 8th for the TriClub Championships...but we need one more race to attend. You can help us pick it by voting here to tell us the one you are 95% sure you are going to race (no wannabes!!)!! The most votes by 1/1/2018 wins!!!

So head to the signature field below and vote early and vote often!!   :D

~ Coach P
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited August 28, 2017 9:50PM
    Great idea. Suggest adding to the instructions, "only vote for a race you're 95% planning to race".  This will help prevent results being influence by members not racing a HIM or have no plans for doing any of these races.

I was already planning on Raleigh, so that's my vote. 
  • Options
    Wow, awesome to see Steelhead on here! Thanks @Coach Patrick . I am planning to do Steelhead & it is in my backyard :). So that is my top choice vote. I could maybe be talked into doing Maine instead, because Maine is a beautiful state that I would love to visit again (2nd place vote for me). Raleigh isn't a great time of year for me because of my work schedule, but obviously I'm just 1 person. Let's see how the voting shakes out.

There aren't any mountains, but the West side of Michigan could also be a pretty good place to do a race camp. Accommodations might be cheaper than some other destinations too. We have great (salt-free) open water swimming near some bike friendly roads, and some nice trails to run nearby too (PJ Hoffmaster State Park, Saugutuck Dunes State Park, Benton Harbor/St. Joe).
  • Options
    Aw, c'mon! Four options, and ALL in the Eastern time zone? I vote for Coeur d'Alene (June 24), Calgary (Prob July 28), Whistler (July 29), or Boulder (Prob Aug 5). I'll be doing at least two of these, if anyone wants to join me in a #WesternKeyRace!!!
  • Options
    Even though I live in Michigan, I think @Al Truscott raises a good point. It would be fair to have 1 west coast race as an option.

I'm planning for a 70.3 the 6/24 weekend & Coeur d'Alene was a lead contender. So I'd vote for that as my 2nd choice.

@Al Truscott the Buffalo Lake 70.3 is in Lubbock, Texas the same weekend (6/24) & has 50 qualifying slots for the 70.3 world championship instead of the typical 30 slots. Any idea why it has more? Do more people attend that race? Or is it just to entice people to race in that horrible heat?

• Options
    Even though I live in Michigan, I think @Al Truscott raises a good point. It would be fair to have 1 west coast race as an option.

I'm planning for a 70.3 the 6/24 weekend & Coeur d'Alene was a lead contender. So I'd vote for that as my 2nd choice.

@Al Truscott the Buffalo Lake 70.3 is in Lubbock, Texas the same weekend (6/24) & has 50 qualifying slots for the 70.3 world championship instead of the typical 30 slots. Any idea why it has more? Do more people attend that race? Or is it just to entice people to race in that horrible heat?

Because Lubbock has been around as a race for 30+ years, I believe!!
  • Options
    Come on Raleigh!  Even have room for a home stay for a traveling ENer at my place. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much @Scott Alexander . So do you think that makes it easier to qualify there? Or is the increase in the number of spots proportional to the increase in competition & number of competitors?

• Options
    What @Al Truscott said!

Austin 70.3 could be an EPIC time!

SS

• Options
    Larry Peters said:
    Thanks so much @Scott Alexander . So do you think that makes it easier to qualify there? Or is the increase in the number of spots proportional to the increase in competition & number of competitors?

There used to be a contractual obligation to give them a certain number of slots. I don't know if that obligation still exists or if it's there for some other reason.

I would never say Texas in late June makes it EASY to qualify. That area of Lubbock is exposed, hot and hilly!
    But if you're on the cusp of your AG, 4th or 5th place, it might be a calculated risk to take. 
  • Options
    I have raced that venue 2X.

Both times were ~95 degrees for the run.  Keep in mind the bike is climbing in and out of Ransom Canyon twice and you run up out of the Canyon and back in once......in others words both Hot and Hilly....

SS
  • Options
    Thanks @Scott Alexander and @Shaughn Simmons : Yeah, I definitely considered how incredibly hot it would be in Texas during late June and I read on their webpage that they have a notoriously difficult course (partly because of the heat). Thanks for the added perspective on the course"Shaughn Simmons" . I'd be worried about the heat, since I live in MI, and it would be harder to train for that. @Scott Alexander , I'm definitely not anywhere near on the cusp of qualifying now (~21/150 age group in my first 70.3 this August), and I'm not sure if I ever well be. But it is a goal I'd love to stretch for in the next year or two, and I'll move up an age group next year. After reading several stories of EN teammates having massive improvement in race performance (and evaluating the outlook for my next year, and the progress from the past year), I'm hopeful.

@Shaughn Simmons , I totally agree Austin 70.3 would be great! It is is the 3rd or 4th weekend in October 2018, I'm planning to do that too in 10/2018! My whole family lives in Austin, and I love that town. I've been visiting at least once a year since 1999 (usually over Christmas). I would rank that highly for an EN Key race. Have you done it before? I don't like the idea of a 3-loop run course... :/
  • Options
    Both times were ~95 degrees for the run.  
    But it's a DRY heat!!!
  • Options
    I have raced the Austin venue 5 times with last year being the most recent and may go again this year given its proximity.

Regarding Buffalo Springs, 95 degrees is 95 degrees vs. a place like IM Texas where 95 degrees is ~105 Heat index depending on the dew point and humidity that day.  I have raced both and both are a challenge.  Where BS may be a dry heat, it is not flat like Houston.

SS
  • Options
    Is Texas considered the West (?)... shoot, I love Texas, but I would expect to be shot on site if I showed up in Lubbock or Waco equating them to CA! Maybe in Austin that's okay

i think Al was alluding to the west coast! Like Victoria, Canada, Oceanside, Sandra Cruz, Santa Rosa, St George :0

• Options
    edited September 1, 2017 10:34PM
    The Buffalo Springs field is relatively small... but the "old skool" ambiance attracts a lot of talent. The date and extra spots mean some AG's roll (more than a single slot in the smaller older AG's), but qualifiers were pretty quick this year. Low humidity keeps temps very reasonable for the 6:30 am start, but the sun heats thing up by T2. The 7 canyon climbs are short and steep, but the majority of the bike is very flat... with potential for wind. Great race with lots of support from a niche group of Texas Triathletes. Austin is a bigger race in a destination city. Late October is a nice time of year. Not as keen on the course. I'll vote for BSLT June 25. Do it every year... unless...

Key IM's... who's in for Boulder in June?  

I am trying to get a schedule together, but agree that all the 70.3 options are north and/or east. No late season IM unless one can KQ.
  • Options
    @Doug Sutherland
     hold out for texas 2019.... right @Shaughn Simmons

???
  • Options
    First off, glad to see Boulder '18 is a key race. I might even come over to cheer...
    Second, I had already put Texas 2019 in my sights, and making it a key race would nail that down for me. FYI, I'll also be doing Arizona in 2019. #ageupyear

But, yeah, it would be grand to someday have a Key Race in the Pacific Time zone: Whistler, Santa Rosa, Arizona for IMs, and the raft of HIMs available, including some which are more under-the-radar, but still special: Pacific Crest in Bend, SuperFrog in Oceanside, Challenge in Penticton, BC, etc.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott

If you are coming i'll bring enough people to make it a 
    Key race!!!!

SS
  • Options
    @John Culberson  I am Seriously thinkinng about Boulder in June 
  • Options
    @Al Truscott
    the powers that be have their eyes set on Texas 2019 so you're good - and having you there will mean its a slam dunk for the team to show up in spades!  Arizona has been a key race for the last 3-4 years at least (I've gone every year since Ive been working here) so we are excited to mix it up with Boulder! 

Boulder will be fun and Lake Placid is its 20th year so we have west and east coast represented! 

Florida 70.3 was decided by Ironman (Tri Club Championship - we must defend our title there too - so proud of the Puerto Rico team for snagging that this year) 

Its going to be a great year in 2018! Can't wait! 

There ALSO will be a couple different key races added soon..... but we will be voting on those too very soon. Don't fret friends, EN GLOBAL domination is on the rise ;) 
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 2:52AM
    @Shaughn Simmons Boulder 2018... and Texas 2019. @Al Truscott #ageupyear for me as well.
  • Options
    Folks keep it coming! If you have the mojo, TeamEN can make it happen. Remember even when we had West Coast Staff we struggled to make a #westcoastkeyrace happen...and we have less staff now. :smile:

if we we can get some brave folks to pick a race and put a flag down, it will pave the way for others I am sure. 

Actions, not words will get this done. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 11:59AM
    Steelhead 70.3 is my vote.  Not sure if I'd race it or come cheer, but its 3.5 hours away and I'd be there one way or another if it was a key race!
  • Options
    @Al Truscott

If you are coming i'll bring enough people to make it a 
    Key race!!!!

SS
    A lot can happen in 18 months, but from here, The Eyes of Truscott Are Upon April 2019...
  • Options
    Texas is also on my radar..
  • Options
    I am gonna do Louisville with the Michigan crew. so i am looking for something closer to NYC for HIM since i will be traveling for the IM.
  • Options
    Steelhead for the Ross's
  • Options
    @Al Truscott I support your comments. The off the radar list was also great. Maybe add Victoria as another 70.3 possibility. I would try hard to join you at any of those if you pick one. (or two)
  • Options
    The Buffalo Springs field is relatively small... but the "old skool" ambiance attracts a lot of talent. The date and extra spots mean some AG's roll (more than a single slot in the smaller older AG's), but qualifiers were pretty quick this year. Low humidity keeps temps very reasonable for the 6:30 am start, but the sun heats thing up by T2. The 7 canyon climbs are short and steep, but the majority of the bike is very flat... with potential for wind. Great race with lots of support from a niche group of Texas Triathletes. Austin is a bigger race in a destination city. Late October is a nice time of year. Not as keen on the course. I'll vote for BSLT June 25. Do it every year... unless...

Key IM's... who's in for Boulder in June?  

I am trying to get a schedule together, but agree that all the 70.3 options are north and/or east. No late season IM unless one can KQ.
    Thanks a ton! I really appreciate this helpful info. I'm probably going to start a new thread about 2018 70.3 season planning with some of this info and other BSLT tips in this thread in the "season planning" area.