Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2017 IM Lousivlle Week 15- Camp time!

Week 15- Camp Week/ Race Rehearsal

HUGE shout to this group!! I LOVE the posting and camaraderie you have in here. It's amazing! Keep up the awesome work. 

Ok IM LouisvilleCrew- You have made it to WEEK 15! WOOHOO!! With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week.  This week is CAMP WEEK!!! Camp Week is the official-ification of our Ironman training weekends. It represents the intersection of race execution and volume, presenting YOU the athlete with a chance to simultaneously improve their fitness and strategy. There are FANTASTIC videos/podcast about this high volume week.  They will give IMPORTANT information sto take a few minutes to listen and watch!!

I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Patrick, GET THOSE IN THE FORUM NOW! Don't wait to ask him or the team a questions on Friday night for Saturday morning!

What is camp?

It's a regular training week with modifications to allow for a swim test, the 2 x 112 rides and a weekend long run.

• Thursday:  Swim Test Day

• Friday:  Race Rehearsal #1 aka 112 Mile Ride + a 1 Hour Run.  Read the full Race Rehearsal protocol here.

• Saturday:  Up to 112 Mile Ride. How far you ride on Day Two is a function of your fitness and race goals, and of course, safety. At a minimum you'll want to do 56 miles, with more advanced athletes working upwards to a full 112.

• Sunday:  Long Run according to your plan; minimum of 13 miles.

Think at the start of this week.

• What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

• Pacing

• Get out there and JRA - 1 hour 1.5 then to steady pace

• Fueling plan

• Run - first three miles LRP plus 30” per mile. First three miles to settle in - mark the transition and take stock of how you feel

More info here….http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/ENFULLPlanResources/VolumeStrategySeriesPartIV.aspx

Keep on CRUSHIN’ it Lousivlle Team!!! Let’s hear you!! How’s everyone doing???

Sponser of the Week: VASA!! Lots of chatter about VASA right now! Check it out :)

SwimErg

Swim Erg Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-ERG

Purchase of one SwimErg

Discount value: $100 off

SwimErg best for triathletes looking to:

Trainer Pro

Trainer Pro Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-TRAINER

Purchase of one Trainer Pro

Discount value: $50 off

More info here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22869/vasa#latest
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Wow!  It is here.  I have been dreading this week and looking forward to it at the same time.  I am excited now because I feel like I am ready for this week and will be able to get through it.

I do have a question about the Friday ride.

I have found a pretty good and safe 28 mile loop from my house so I will be doing 4x28 on Friday so that I can reload at the house.  The climb per loop is 1,042' so 4 times will be 4,168'.  Not quite Louisville but it lays out pretty close to the middle section of Louisville.

I am a slower rider.  I have run my information through Best Bike Split for Louisville and it says about 7 hours for 70% FTP and 7.5 hours for 60% FTP.   For the Friday race sim, I know the plan says to shut the bike down at 6 hours but I also remember a video by Coach R where the ideal was to have you on the bike for about the same amount of time as race day.  I also feel like it will be a big mental thing for me if I at least complete 112 miles at least once before the race.

So here is what I am planning for the weekend.

I want to complete the full 4x28 on Friday no matter how long it takes.  I should finish in about 7.5 to 8 hours.  Then do the 60 minute run on the elliptical.  I figure better to do this now and let week 18 be just 6 hours as that is closer to the race and could have a negative effect on my fitness for the race.  Need input/suggestions on this.

Then Saturday I would do another 4-6 hour ride depending on how I feel followed by the short run on the elliptical.  Need input/suggestions on this.

Sunday long run on the elliptical.

Any suggestions or input on this will be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    That's a great question @Bill Eckert.  My advice is to not do the full 112 on race rehearsal weekend: it will take too much out of you, and you'll be totally clobbered for Saturday's workouts.  Stick to the 6-hour cap and push that full-distance ride one or two weeks out.  Be sure to check with Coach P in the micro forum on this.  Here are two possible alternatives to consider:

1) End of Week 16.  Assuming you're on the EN*Full Beginner plan?  Shorten that Saturday ride to 90 minutes; still do the swim and run (elliptical) workouts; change the Sunday workout to be only a 112-mile ride (no elliptical after)

2) End of Week 17.  Change the Saturday ride to a 2-hour ABP with the run/elliptical afterwards.  Do the full 112 on Sunday
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2017 6:56PM
    Thanks @Paul Curtin!  I am on the EN Fulll Intermediate Plan.  It really is not much different than the beginner plan.  I hear you on being clobbered for Saturday.  Was very concerned about that and I have put in the same question to Coach P in the micro.  It does take a lot out of me on the long rides. 

I like the scenarios you have suggested.  I think I see what you are doing is going ahead and getting an ABP ride done and whatever goes with it on Saturday and then doing the long bike after.  It will put enough stress on my system to make me have to ride smart for the 112 but still allows me to get in the workouts without being so stressed that I have to leave something out.  I think that's why I was asking because when I have tried to put two bigger bikes back to back my second day always got either left out or shortened a lot (mostly left out) and I could see this one coming on again.  Those 90 to 120 minute ABP rides don't bother me very much at all and I can definitely do it and the other workouts and still have something left for the 112.

Right now I am leaning towards week 17 as my week 16 is already getting a little crazy.  I have a short trip with a lot of driving on that weekend so shifting things around a little.  My only question about doing this in week 17 is does this start to fall too close to actual race day?
  • Options
    Hey all ! major work done last week, its inspiring to see what you are all doing ! This week end was a last rest & recovery 2 days before really coming back into it.

Pools are all closed this week near me for annual cleaning, as such no swim for me this week.

On my side, week 15 will be a "ramp up" week as follow:

Monday : Interval run - 4X1M @ HMP-Z4 - 60' + core work
    Tuesday : 60' FTP work on the trainer + 4M Run
    Wednesday : "long run" - goal is to go 65'-70'
    Thursday : 60' FTP work on the trainer + 4M Run
    Friday : 210-240' bike ride by focus on execution (low VI, IF close to 72-73) plus 2M brick
    Saturday : Interval run - 4X1M @ HMP-Z4 - 60' + core work
    Sunday : Zwift ABP ride

Goals for this week:

Run 6 times, do not exceed 25M - Frequency is key so next week I can be able to do 2X90' run
    Get back to 4hrs bike ride
    Be prepared for 9/15 full RR - my plan is to be able to do one on week 16 and one on week 18

I am a bit worry by the "low" volume I will be doing, but I have to trust what Patrick suggested me to do, its a learning process to do 2 races so closed.

Have a nice week !

• Options
    @Bill Eckert -- week 17 should be fine for the 112 ride.  That still gives you 3 weeks before race day and that's in the "sweet spot" for getting in ultra-long training sessions.  You already rode 95 so it shouldn't be too bad.  Most folks doing IM Lou won't even have done a 100-miler.
  • Options
    @paul curtin - Sounds like a plan to me.  Amazing that most will not have done a 100 miler.  Love it that it will be in a good spot. Not only that but should be ready for that one given that I will be moving my week 16 rides up a couple days earlier in the week.

On another note, loved the video!!!

@Francis Picard - nice plan and amazing coming off of one  race into another.  All I ever think as I read your post and others like you is that it seems like you have everything together and falling right into place.
  • Options
    @ALL who raced IMLOU before.

Its already starting to get cold in here, last week I had to wear sleeves during outside bike ride.

Should I think of planning heat acclimatization ? (while on the training shut down the fan, wear more clothes when running outside)

Last year when I did IMAZ I didnt have the need to plan about this.. but IMLOU is still in mid-October and I am not aware of what the weather looks like usually down there.

Thanks!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard, the swim start last year began in the low 50's and never reached above 75 all day. I guess you could say it was a perfect day! The bike will be cool for the first few hours if the weather is the same. I don't think there is a need for heat acclimitization based on the seasonal temps. I am a big sweater and didn't struggle at all last year!
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. The last 2 weekends I've had to wear a base layer (shirt) under my kit for my rides (I'm about 5 hours north of Louisville). It's in the mid 50's until about 8am. I think I'll bring a pair of throw away arm warmers just for piece of mind. I'm sure the adrenaline will compensate for the cool temps. 

By mid-morning it should be ideal racing weather!
  • Options
    @Bill Eckert - i think the answer's you've gotten are good. I know the tendency is to want to hit the mileage as you feel that will make you better prepared, the reality is that 2x 6 hr rides will be plenty. On race day with closed road, aid stations and the general flow, you always move faster than expected, even if you don't get stoopid and hammer. Save yourself for ONE 112 mile ride in the final prep, but you will be way more than prepared for this!

@Francis Picard - the weather's gonna be a crapshoot, we can get beautiful 70 degree+ weather and sunny skys, a rainy day with 50s, or the remnants of a late season hurricane... I'd say ride what you can, when you can. If you need the excuse to get on the drainer, do the drainer.. I plan on doing my Sunday APB with the Coach P Zwift crew and seeing how that goes.. 

Not sure how I am handling camp week since I just essentially did a camp week and have a secret destination camp planned for 3 weeks from now. Goal this week is to do a "normal" training week this and next week before rolling into my 2nd camp... 

@everyone  - Keep plugging (and posting!) We're gonna carry this mojo right through the finish line!
  • Options
    Thanks @Scott Dinhofer for the additional support for the recommendations.  I will definitely stick to the 2 x 6 hours and do the one 112 mile ride in week 17 as @paul curtin  has suggested.
  • Options
    Of course, of all the weeks, work has blown up, I finally succumbed to my husband's cold, and it's turned cool and breezy here with  morning temps in the low 50s! I'm in GA for heaven's sake!  But the good thing about the temps is that it will be good preparation for race morning in KY.  Despite being a little under the weather, I am still going to follow the camp weekend as planned. I took yesterday completely off. I'll pick up today with the Thurs swim.  Tomorrow I plan to swim with my master's group at 6am, drive up to my usual 50 mile route in northern GA, doing that route twice and then run 60 min.  Saturday, I plan to do the same ride again with the 30 min run. Sunday morning I'll do a flat 13-15 miles closer to home.  I'm gathering up all my nutrition and will plan to execute like race day the only new thing I'm going to do is try Beet Elite before each long session.  I've heard nothing but good things about it so I'm curious to see how I do with that.  I have a brand new Edge 520 to try and my new Air Attack helmet to try out as well. Ok, so three new things. I'll bring along the old stuff just in case.
  • Options
    @Bill Eckert I look forward to seeing how the 4 X 28 route goes for you.  I think your elevation is close enough.  You should get the opportunity to practice staying at lower watts in your high gears while climbing.  I've been trying to hammer them on my longer rides so far, but this weekend will be all about climbing as if I were doing an IM.

There have been a lot of threads, both inside the group and with the larger team, about the use of Best Bike Split.  I love gadgets, so I am very interested in this.  I used BBS to take my planned route for tomorrow and create a course and race plan based off that route and a target TSS of 260.  I am going to attempt to use a BBS Garmin Power File on my Edge 820 to see if it is something I want to use during the race.  I also found this IQ app, that sets up your screen to use the BBS targets.  I will let you all know how it goes.

On another note, I was on vacation last week and assumed that I had gained weight.  When I weighed in this morning, I was happy to see that I actually lost a couple of pounds.  I guess we did enough walking to burn off what we ate a drank.  I am getting close to the target I need (want) for the magic W/KG formula.

My plan for this weekend:
    Friday - Swim 3.8K , Bike 112ish at target TSS of 260, run 10K with first 5K at Bike HR.
    Also, My plan for the bike is to follow IM nutrition plan, this means I will need to stop at my car twice to reload bottles.  I will also change the aero-bottle top to the speed fill and fill it on the fly.
    Saturday - Bike 85 to 110 miles - Run 10K
    Sunday - Zwift ABP Ride - Longish run later in the day.  10-12 miles.

Also, looking at the weather, my bike tomorrow will start at about 48 F (9 C) degrees and end at about 60 F (15 C).  I will dress accordingly.  Saturday looks to be a few degrees colder.

@Paul Curtin Good luck at Chattanooga 70.3 worlds!

@Francis Picard and "@Brian Harding  - Looks like we will both be getting cold.  I look forward to seeing you and @Scott Dinhofer and @everyone who wants to have fun at the Sunday Team EN Zwift Ride!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan, I tried the BBS Garmin Power File this past weekend.  It was great at telling me where I should be over certain segments however I could not tell where my NP was during that segment.  I had my Garmin 520 set to autolap every 3.5 miles so it was giving me my NP in each lap.  I looked at the IQ app and it looks like it may help some with that.  It appears to show NP but not sure if that is for the entire ride or for the section that you are currently in.  I am wondering if you can set the Garmin to autolap with the power sections.  Anyway, I have it set up for my 28 mile loop and going to try it tomorrow with the IQ app.
  • Options
    I just read this thread on the forums on BBS.  It is worth at least one month of fees to read!

@Bill Eckert I see your point.  The screen from the App gives you 3s, 10s and 30s, NP and the BBS target. Some of the intervals will be too short to calculate a good NP, so I would really only focus on 3s vs. BBS.  I am used to only looking at 3s and lap NP.  Similar to you, I auto-lap every 5 miles.  Its easy for me to do the math to know if I am faster or slower than 20 mph.

My issue is that I dose off and ride too easy.  I am lazy and need a reminder every now and then to get to work.  That is really what I am hoping it will help me fix.  I am thinking I will look down and if I am going under what it is telling me, I will pick things up.  
  • Options
    I've been watching that thread.  It very interesting.  It says I should not use the BBS Garmin Power file.  However, I am going to use it in my training to see how it may affect my ride.  When I tried it the other day, I basically had to use it as additional information about where I could be but it really just was not working so I rode my ride the best I know how.  I am hoping that it will help me ride a smoother ride with a lower VI tomorrow.  We will see.

I just loaded the app on my Garmin and it only gives you one data field, the BBS Power Target that can be added to any one of your data screens.  So you can set it up however you would like to.
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer  ... wondering how your return to training and recovery is coming along after your volume week.  That was some serious work ... have you taken some downtime?    I'm really interested to follow your progression from Big Week -> normal week->normal week->altitude week and hear some of your observations.
  • Options
    @Dave Tallo - GREAT question! 
    I've had a few issues with work/ kids/ life as well as fatigue
    Monday - took a bit of a rest day and did my first VASA wko, felt fine until the next day... 
    Tuesday - planned to do a swim/ Run day, ended up doing a 6.5 mile run with 2x1 mi @ 6:50 which is my normal Z4 pace. They definitely seemed harder than usual
    Wednesday - didn't get to the pool, Got on trainer at 7am, had some issues with trainer road not reading PM not adjusting correctly for load and apparently blew up the quick link on my chain... frustrating, no run, did a bike in the evening after LBS picked up and dropped off bike later in the day (those guys rock!) Afternoon trainer session hurt. I thought I could do 4x8@FTP, I suffered through 2x8@Z4 and then 2x8@Z3
    Thursday - planned on a long run, I did do a good 14 miler in the rain on Sunday and figured I could do a 14-18 miler today... no dice  :s  I went to a lake i run around by jill's house where the path is quite flat and really struggled through 9 miles... Hoping to get in a thousand on the VASA tonight, though not likely

Plan for the rest of the week is to do a swim a day for the next three, hopefully take the day off tomorrow and do a century, longish run on saturday and an APB ride/ run on Sunday  (in addition to the swim) Goal is to have a solid "normal" training week next week. 

The short answer is that I am carrying A LOT of fatigue from last week's big week!

@Brian Hagan - totally agree, the BBS thread is incredible... EN forums are alive!!!
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer did it made you more carrying fatigue than your crazy bad ass half marathon 2 weeks post IMLP ?

agree on what is happening in the forums, alot of value is share !!

good luck and enjoy the grind for those doing camp week this week !!

for me I am riding the IMLOU BBS file on zwift tomorrow 
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - the half mary only hurt because of how fast I went (need a patting self on back emoji here!)  o:)
    but the answer is, yes!! 
    Trying to ditch office in the next hour for an afternoon 3-4 hr ride followed by a 7-8 mile brick. 
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2017 7:00PM
    When they say anything that can happen will, well...

- 16 miles in, flat 1, fix it
    - 16.1 miles realize the new tube has a slow leak, patch it
    - 16.5 miles realize the patch didn't take
    - 16.6 miles start to walk and hope another cyclist has a tube
    - 30 minutes later one stops, offers tube, valve is broken
    - Offers to ride up miles to check to see if a local annex shop is open yet. 
    - Comes back, not open, so I walk there anyways to wait.
    - Finally opens, no tubes with removable valves to fit my 808 extender 
    - Looks through all the bikes and finds another customer's bike in for a tune up with an 80mm valve a regular rim
    - I offer to buy him a new tune to take it, offer accepted for $23, negotiated down to $20
    - Repair the flat after 2 plus hours of waiting.
    - Start to ride again finally...BOOM thunderstorm and rain...
    - Ride another 10 miles, slipping and sliding, decide to call it and ride home.
    - Uber car door opens into the street not the curbside and narrowly misses taking me out, gotta love Chicago drivers..
    - Now on the trainer in the basement and deciding if I finish out the 112 or do tomorrow's 56-70 mile work out, and flip flop the days...

If anything can happen it will...better now than race day I guess.

• Options
    @Brian Smith thats some tough luck, but good karma will be coming your way. Given the circumstances on your day, I would flip the days.

Friday is in the books for me - Swim, Bike and Run complete as per the plan.
    Swim - 4200 yds. - 1:07:48 - 1:37 pace
    Bike - Trainer for 6 hours
    Run - 6.1 miles with a HR cap in the afternoon heat 80* with low humidity.
    All in all happy with the day and looking forward to tomorrow
  • Options
    @Brian Smiththat sounds like a tough day.   I had some bad luck as well (but nothing like that). 3.8k swim went great. My ride started ok, but my chain started to drop about 45 miles in when I was shifting from the small to the large chain ring. It jammed, and I forced it on by pushing hard on the pedals. Dumb move, as I bent my chain. Luckily I was able to get back to my car that was only 3 miles a way. Went to the bike shop. They replaced the chain, but then noticed my derailleur is gummed up and the pulleys are bent. So I ordered a new one and went home to ride Zwift. 

I ride for about an hour doing the BBS IMKY course in erg mode so I would not have to shift.  After an hour, I realized it was getting late, so I quit and did the 60 minute run. 

Tomorrow I am going to try and ride Zwift for 5 to 6 hours. I am not going to do the BBS thing, and I don't care about goal watts or pace. 

If if anyone wants to join me, just follow me on Zwift and join me. I hope to start by 6:00 Eastern. 
  • Options
    @Jeff Kaneyou killed it today! Nice work!
  • Options
    This crew is now really in the game on mode !!

today I did a 5h30 ride which was the IMLOU Bbs file. It has alot of intervals and could work on focusing on the execution.. can you believe I did hit a VI of 1.07 and did a quick brick with starting at the bike avg HR.

the next weeks will mostly be execution practice only with 1 or 2 full RR.

keep going this week end, you are all killing it !!

booking my plane ticket tonight, its now at 288$ all tax in. Its a really cheap flight. Will arrive late Wednesday (23:00) but its a shirt flight !
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - that's serious shizz 2 weeks post MT... 
  • Options
    ...I wish I were racing IMLOU again this year. Best and success to everyone. I love reading this thread. 

Cheers,
    Beth
  • Options
    Day 1 done.  I was not feeling it thus morning but pushed through.  Decided to just let it fall where it would and be happy with just getting it done.

3900m swim. 1:37:46, slow but did it.

3x28 Bike, planned.  85.7 completed.  6:16.  Again slow but done.  Third loop was waiting on a train and it just stopped across the road so had to turn around and go an alternate way.

1 hour elliptical.  Kept HR at bike avg HR and just kept moving.

Glad to be done.  Now for tomorrow!  Given I was already tired probably will not be much better but just going to plug my way through it.
  • Options
    Saturday is in the books and no worse for the wear. 6 hours on the trainer with about 8 watts less power than yesterday followed by 3.1 mile brick. The run felt strong and I was able to keep my HR in check while building the pace. Hope everyone else had a solid training day as well.
  • Options
    Saturday had a good start.  Changed up my nutrition a little from yesterday because I felt a little nauseous yesterday pretty early.  So with the change was feeling pretty good on my first loop.  While refueling, made a small adjustment to my seat and got started on the second loop.  Seat was feeling good and I should have done that a long time ago.  Then, 2 miles in, rear derailleur cable breaks.  Turn around and head back to the house then decide to go to bike shop which is 1/2 mile from the house.  He looks at it and can't get the cable out of the shifter quickly so not wanting him to take too much time I take it home.  I got the cable out and went back by.  He gave me a new cable.  I took it back and I've gotten it all the way back to the rear housing and cannot get it through it.  Seems like some rust got in it or something.  Trying to soak it to salvage a ride tomorrow AM before the weather gets here on Monday.  We will see how that goes.  No worries though, I am happy that I felt good today on the ride.  I was amazed at how "good" my legs actually felt.