Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2017 IM Louisville- Week 18- Keep chattin! Let's talk THE LINE

#EN4Keys

/ THE LINE WEEK 18

AWESOME work last week team- love the chatter going on. Hope this weekend went well!! 

So let's prepare your mental game. In so doing, remember there will be cumulative fatigue building throughout race day.  So important to follow your plan, race your race and prepare for THE LINE.  

EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you.

1. A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.

2. If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferably not attempted for the first time on race day!).

3. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).

4. Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!

5. Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

**ADMIN ALERT**

*** TEAM DINNER: There will not be an official team dinner. HOWEVER- I know there was already a dinner discussed in another thread....if you want to know more about that RSVP 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GI6nBHNmsdwksqcaLH_6PPNfUM2Xi1EGMWP6-4SQiac/edit#gid=0

*** If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You're almost their rock star EN'rs can't wait to watch you unleash on the course**

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Last big week of training! Excited for the mini camp this week.
  • Options
    Can you post the google docs participant info list again please...not the dinner, but the contact list...thanks.

• Options
    @Paul Curtin

Thanks Paul, i was thinking if anyone wanted I can set up a "What's App" group for communication group which would be easier then texting or calling and all would get the messages on site, easier to meet up etc.  Let me know if anyone wants me to set that up and you can download What's App free fi you do not have it already...
  • Options
    @Brian Smith - pretty sure that @Mariah Bridges or @Brenda Ross will be setting up a "group me" for us
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2017 6:23PM
    Hey all - i added a column to the sheet for a saturday AM breakfast, please fill in if interested in joining. 
    seems as though we have a fair # of people travelling "Hawaiian Style - Alonn-ah), so thought i'd add it to the list. 

According to Yelp, these two places (#s 2& 3 on thier list) are most convienent to where we are all lodging)
    http://wildeggs.com/
    http://www.toastonmarket.com/breakfast_menu.html

for the Saturday Coffee - (off our feet) I am thinking of this place - http://www.pleaseandthankyoulouisville.com/

looks like a short Uber for Sat afternoon Movie to Baxter Ave Theaters.
  • Options
    Last week I did a big bike week in Colorado on M/Tu/W/Th I rode 60/100/56/89; only got in 3 runs, all trail, 2 of them were back to back 4 milers as a brick on Wednesday. Sunday I did a local OLY and placed 2nd out of 83 in my AG, losing 1st in the last 300 yards :o

This week I am doing a normal bike week (weds/sat bike) no Sunday. doing a run focus trying to hit 48-52 miles and a swim focus that will hopefully get me to 18000 yards for the week. One of my girls has a LAX day at Middlebury (VT) college, so I am hoping to swim there and do a good run on VT country roads given that I have all day to kill. 

• Options
    Yes, I will be launching group me the Wednesday of the race.  I will be posting who I have on my list as racing the Monday of the race. If your name is not on, it means I do not have you down, but it does not mean I can not add you to the group me. Just let me know in thread. I check it before I launch the group me, which will be between 12noon and 6pm EST on the Wednesday.

• Options
    Hello all!  I am coming late to the party.  I am registered and will be coming into town late on Thursday night.  I raced IMMT back in August so this will be the first year of attempting 2 so will be interesting to see how my day shapes up. I will have to catch up on plans to meet.  I see breakfast plans....anyone doing practice swim?
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass It looks like there is a practice swim Saturday morning at 8:00 at the Swim Exit (Wharf).

Perhaps we could all swim and then go to breakfast.

I believe I will swim Wednesday morning before I leave.

• Options
    Welcome @Dawn Cass to the Louisville Team! I'm betting your fitness from IMMT build will carry over perfectly to IMLou.
    There's an "unofficial" Team dinner at @Kellie Moran-Jones house Friday evening. Here's the link to the forum thread where you'll also find the sign up link. https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23624/dinner-at-kellies-house-in-prospect-friday-october-13#latest

• Options
    Thanks for the debrief on your CO week, @Scott Dinhofer.    I think you nailed the timing, volume and breakdown for maximum absorption for the race.  Dunno how much bang for the buck you can expect from a big run week this late, but then again, that's what I'm doing ...

And please count me in for the Saturday breakfast ...   as long as there are flapjacks and salt on the table, I'm good!

Finally, is there a Kona Viewing Party underway?   We will probably catch the M and F winners around dinner, ( and Tim, Mark, Pat and the others a few minutes later ... ).    I don't know if there will be a stable enough connection w my hotel free wifi to ensure smooth streaming, but I'll check to see if I can commandeer a big screen tv in the lounge.  I think I'm a block from the convention centre. 

• Options
    I will arrive late on Wednesday, but dunno yet from where (Mtl or Chicago as I might need to travel to Chicago for business)
    its
    Always in for pancakes and coffee so we can tactical IM discuss !

After this week end, dont forget to check up your bike! I just ordered : 
    Tubes
    squirt lube
    new elbow pads
    new chain

Was starting to feel a lot of fatigue this week end.. but did my wkouts early yesterday and will go an easy swim tonight around 9PM, so should be back on track for rest of the week which will look like that:

Tonight : 50' swim
    Wednesday: 90' run
    Thursday: long bike (300') as I need to do online training.. so basiscally wasting my day on zwift ! + brick
    Friday: full RR
    Saturday : long ride
    Sunday : off to VT for family stuff

Dont know what to expect out of this race but glad its that close !
  • Options
    I dont know what will be the results, but this build was 10000000000x easier (at least mentaly) than last year when I did IMMT & IMAZ combo.
  • Options
    can you all please fill me in on squirt lube. 

@Dave Tallo where can I score a man-bra? 
  • Options
    By the way, I finally got over my cold.  Feeling awesome!  Ready to rock this weekend!  Seeing Dave Tallo's race report really made things feel real for me.  It's an awesome read if you have not read it yet.  There is a lot of things in there to remind you of.  
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer congrats on your Olympic! I am curious if you got a validation of your FTP from the race. 
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass - glad you're joining the party! make sure you get the 411 for Thursday's team dinner on this thread. Also make sure to fill in your contact info, etc on this sheet

As the fill-in super sherpa --happy to host a Kona party at my hotel... 

let;s all plan on meeting at the practice swim on Sat AM and then heading to wild eggs, Tim Cronk knows the place and referred it to @Dave Tallo in his race plan thread. You don't have to do the swim, (I am not sure if I am going to get in that river an extra time myself)

@brian Hagan - good question, My last tested FTP was 268-270, I do not think my 5 hr power matched it. I have been focused in the last 5 or so weeks on 5 hr power and not FTP. @Al Truscott suggests that my FTP=98% of my NP from Sunday's OLY which was 250. that suggests an FTP of 255. I am confident it is NOT 270, but also reasonably confident it is not 255... I would guess 258-263 if i thought about it, and might try to test today, but legs still feel fatigue from Sunday... 

@Francis Picard @Brian Hagan @jeff kane @Sabra Gonzalez @Derrek Sanks @Alan Brown @Brian Smith
    please add your additional info on bkfst, etc on this sheet
  • Options
    Is the team dinner Thursday or Friday evening? I've seen reference to both days. @Kellie Moran-Jones?

I also noticed on the schedule of events the opening ceremony is Friday at 6 pm

Thanks
  • Options
    For Friday, @Coach Patrick @Francis Picard @Tim Sullivan @Donnacha Holmes and I are riding on Zwift starting around 8:00 AM EST.  I am going to try and hit the pool early to guarantee my own lane and be home in time to start.  If anyone is interested, please join us.
  • Options
    I've updated the sheet and will be a "maybe" for breakfast on Saturday.   I'm not sure about swimming in the river though until race day. I would like to get a swim in if possible. Anyone know if there is a local pool that will be available?
  • Options
    @Kellie Moran-Jones - perhaps you can help us out with @Sabra Gonzalez's question, is there an easy pool to uber to from Downtown that we can pay at? Lifetime fitness/etc?
    thanks - i would totally be up for this on Friday AM.. 
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez  There are two YMCA's close to downtown.   The one closest will be the YMCA downtown Louisville at 555 S 2nd St, Louisville, KY 40202, phone-502 587 6700.   Here is the downtown website- http://www.ymcalouisville.org/downtown/  From the Galt House it is .9miles

The second YMCA is Clark County  at 4812 Hamburg Pike, Jeffersonville, IN 47130, phone- 812 283 9622  It is about 7.3 miles from the Galt House and is located across the river in Indiana.  It is supposed to have a better pool but I have never seen it personally.  Here is the website- http://www.ymcalouisville.org/clark-county/ 

I would call or check online both pool schedules before heading there.  Also usually if you are a Y member somewhere else you can get in for free.  

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks I am hosting a team dinner at my house on Friday at 6:00pm.  The Welcome Celebration is also on Friday at 4th street live from 6-8pm.  So everyone heading out to my house will miss the Welcome Celebration.  I really don't have any information about the celebration so I don't know what you would be missing.  
  • Options
    @Kellie Moran-Jones
    Thanks for the offer on dinner.  My husband and I aim to be there....just filled out the sheet.
    @Scott Dinhofer
    @Brian Hagan
    Regarding breakfast and practice swim...seems some are looking for a pool vs the river.  I have heard bad things about swimming in that water so in a way, I may want to give it a try to ease the fears on how bad it really is.  Will look out for more regarding timing.  I would actually prefer a practice swim on Friday am but all depends on what time we get into town on Thursday.
    @Derrek Sanks
    Thanks for the note.  I feel like I have been a couch potato since IMMT so just in it for the fun!
    Look forward to meeting everyone.
  • Options
    Yep!  I like the pool idea, and also the Friday pool idea.
  • Options
    @Kellie Moran-Jones  - Thanks so much for the Y info!

All, I called the downtown location.  Their hours on Friday are 5am - 8pm.  To swim, you will need to purchase a day pass for $10 and present your drivers license/ID.  It's a 10 minute walk from Spring Hill Suites.  
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2017 3:36PM
    @Dawn Cass - refer to the schedule on the IM site, there is only one practice swim in the river and thus the only time you can do it in the river. 
    probably up for a short POOL swim on Friday depending on logistics..
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer
    Hello and thanks a lot....I didn't realize this....guess I should actually read the schedule!!
  • Options
    @Mariah Bridges @Brenda Ross - missed the LV Webinar last night due to Open School Night, will they webinar be posted soon? looks like the one on race central is last year's