Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Saturday Zwift Group Ride

I'm starting this thread in deference to the Sunday crew, so that signals don't get crossed. We *tried* this morning, but so many of us were new to Zwift, that it was more of a shake-out cruise for most of us. Here's hoping we can continue to meet just before 0800 PST on Saturday mornings, and link up better once more of us get comfortable with (a) Interaction with the Zwift environment and on-screen data, (b) the Zwift Mobile Link, which allows off-line creation of a list of riders to follow, (c) the proper use of the Discord app for real-tie voice communication, etc. So much to manage, I'm happy just to have ridden for 10-20 minutes with a few team-mates today.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Great idea Al to have a separate thread. "See" you next Sat!
  • Options
    Thanks @Al Truscott The Sunday thread was getting huge and there is a bunch to manage already. For me it really has been worth it to stick with this and figure it out. I think the ABP can be a great replacement for the outseason weekend ride. If we all can get together we can push on the hills and sprints and regroup for steady riding in between and maybe push the ride out in duration. For the winter months in the pain cave a group makes these rides much more fun. 
  • Options
    I was looking for you guys on zwift yesterday without luck .  I need to up my zwift-fu
  • Options
    @Satish Punna You can search for and then follow any of your EN teammates in Zwift. Once you have done that they will show up as riding when you open the app. You then choose to ride with them and will drop you in on that position in the ride. Otherwise if you are on @ 8:00 AM you soft pedal to the start banner of the selected course. It's just up a short distance from where you"re placed. There will be an Arch. You should see team members there. It is much easier if you are also on the Discord channel and can connect with others.
  • Options
    @Satish Punna
    Among the many things I learned about Zwift yesterday...there are at least 4-5 different Zwift platforms even in the Mac ecosystem: On my laptop: Website, application, app. On my iPad: App, and the iPhone Mobile Link.

The key to finding other team mates seems to be in the iPhone Mobile Link. That's the only place I could find to easily identify and "follow" specific people. From the app's Home screen, click on "Zwifting Now", then click on "Zwifters you follow". Finally "Find Zwifters Now". Type in first or last name or both, then click to select...

Then, when I fire up the Zwift Application on my laptop, and click on "Ride", if I'm lucky, the ZwiftApp will materialize. (Sometimes it does, then immediately disappears, and I have to try again.) Once I'm logged in, and I connect all my ANT+ and Bluetooth paraphernalia, I get a "Start" Dialog box, with the option, "Join Another Swifter?". At the top of the list of all riders on the course are any Zwifters I follow. Click on one of them, and in 1-3 seconds, they fly by. I then have 5 seconds to keep up, or they're gone.

If I leave the mobile app running on my iPad, it becomes linked to my ride on the laptop. But I probably won't do that next group ride, as I'll want to use Discord to communicate.

• Options
    @Al Truscott I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you can run discord in the background on the ipad and still link to Zwift during the ride. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Al Truscott good tip re zwift mobile.  Had a successful  teamEN zwift session today running zwift on the iPad, discord on the iPhone and the NYC marathon on TV.  I may never go outside again (kidding)!  
  • Options
    After AZ I might have to join you..thanks for starting a PST start time.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2017 11:27AM
    paging @Brian Hagan  to help with technical issues. 
    -best to run discord of an apple device, I am going to retest my android in the next week, I have been using my ipad.
    -it's been seen that wireless headphones have a lag with discord, so go with wired head phones
    -see the Zwift group me where Patrick put up some setting screen shots yesterday
    -look for times that you can join others when they are riding to test and sort out discord, much easier when you aren't on a trainer trying to sort out zwift. Coach P & Brian both said they can be available most anytime during the day if you ping them on the group me thread to test with you

stick with it, while I haven't done it much yet, the group zwift rides are a game changer for your training. 

@Al Truscott - what's with all the mirrors?? just curious
  • Options
    Yesterday's Sunday ABP ride was awesome.  We had around 20 EN Zwifters (or more).  The group did a great job staying together for the first hour or so, and then we all split up by ability or time constraints.  Despite not having a few of our top gun regulars, we were able to take the top 8 spots on the first sprint.  There were many PRs on the climbs/sprints as well as a few QOMs and green jerseys for the girls.

I believe there is opportunity for improvement on our use of Discord.   Even if the background noise is a little per person, the background will add up to a lot.  My thought is it would be best for us to use the "Push to Talk" mode in the voice settings until you get confirmation from another person that your settings are good.  The heavy breathing on the climbs is fine, but the squeaky trainers and drive trains is rough on the ears.

I am going to attempt to do a video this week on how to best set up you audio setting and post in a separate thread for Discord.  I will post a link in here and in the Saturday thread.
  • Options
    oops... just realized this is the Saturday Thread.  Awesome stuff in here!
  • Options
    Saturday Zwifters: Let's try to fire up again at 8:00 Pacific. I think we should select figure 8 again to keep it simple and try to get everyone together. So let's soft pedal to the start banner just before 8 and get together on Discord. Let's try to keep it at 2 to 2.5 W/KG for a while and give everyone a chance to get used to staying in the group. Hope to see everyone at 8!
  • Options
    Copying this from the Sunday Ride Thread...Note the time difference, for us is 8 AM PST. The start plan they show here is slow ramp up over first 60 min 2.0 to 2.9 w/kg. Individuals or small groups then level out at their ABP pace shenever it comes up. EG, when I get to 2.7 or so, I'll start my ABP portion, cause that's my pace for it.

Step 1: Zwift | Step 2: GroupMe | Step 3: Start to Ride | Step 4: Etiquette | Step 5: Tips & Tricks

What: Sunday ABP rides with your EN Teammates online.

When: Rides are on Sunday Morning; Wheels Up at 9am EST. We will start easy and build the effort over the first hour...then stick at your target effort as long as you can!

Where: Zwift.com

How: Connecting to Zwift.com and Chatting on GroupMe App (instructions below)

There are Three-Step Instructions:

• Setting up Zwift before the Sunday Ride

• Setting up Group Chat before the Sunday Ride

• Starting the Ride on Sunday

Step 1: Setting Up Zwift Before The Ride (Time: 15 minutes)

1) Make sure you have a Zwift account (www.zwift.com), software downloaded, everything paired and working ok.  If you are new to Zwift go here.

2) Update your last name so it looks like this:  McCrann TeamEN (B)   So this is  "your last name" plus TeamEN plus (your FTP category).  Please select a category (your FTP divided by your weight in KG).  this will help if we break into smaller groups. Directions on how to update your name are here.

(A) 4.0+ w/KG FTP   (B) 3.2 - 3.99 W/KG FTP   (C) 2.5 - 3.19 W/KG FTP    (D) 0 - 2.49 w/KG FTP  

3) Make sure your weight is accurate.  It is very important, because Zwift determines your speed based off your weight and power output.

4) Open Zwift on your PC/Laptop/Mac/Ios Device or however you Zwift

5) Pair your devices or press "Skip"

6) Click "Ride" - But don't start riding - this will allow you to edit your stuff.

7) Select "Menu" - if you have a smart trainer - you may want to go into settings and turn down the smart trainer setting.  It will make it easier to hold the goal watts.

8) Go into the user customization and select the "Basic 5 jersey" (which is black and red). If you can't do that, then choose the standard Zwift one. 

9) Make sure you select a ROAD BIKE.  There is drafting effects in Zwift, but tri bikes do not get the effect.  It will help everyone stay together if you select a road bike.

11) Save everything and back out and click "End Ride"

Step 2: Setting Up Group Chat

The GroupMe is where we will “Chat” during the ride on our Smartphones.  This just makes the ride fun...until it gets too hard, and then it’s more riding than texting (hour two, etc).

1) You can join the group directly via this link: https://groupme.com/join_group/29902223/JHEyw3  

If you have problems with joining the group, please post to this thread and we’ll help you out.

Step 3: Starting & Riding on Sunday

Just Like Any Ride - Get everything paired and calibrated, tires pumped, fluids filled, grab a towel and have the fan ready to go by 8:55 AM EDT.  You just need to wait.

1) For course, select "London 8"

This is super important..if you select a different course, you won’t stay with us. Note this changes every month, but for now this is what we roll with. 

2) Soft pedal up to the start banner and form a bunch to start together.

You can view names in the Right Sidebar (look for that TeamEN last name!).

3) At 9am EST, start pedaling!

4) Follow the incremental pacing guidance.

Since everyone will have a separate goal watts for their ABP (Zone 3) Ride, this is what we’ll do so we all start together: 

•  0’ to 15’ @ 2.0 W/KG 

• 15’ to 30’ @ 2.3 W/KG

• 30’ to 45’ @ 2.6 W/KG 

• 45’ to 60’ @ 2.9 W/KG 

• 60’ and Beyond...your choice of W/kg as determined by the group and texting!

Please Note: You will stop increasing when you reach your goal ABP / Zone3 W/KG.  For me, it is around 3 W/KG.  If we roll it out this way, groups will form at each level depending on how many people show up.

Riding Etiquette

• Don’t worry so much about your Watts per kilo under your name on the right sidebar.

• The leader at any given point (in the front of the pack) should pay attention, otherwise, your job is to stay in the group. 

• W/kg rules for all elements of terrain until the 60’ mark. 

Additional User Tips

• Camera Angles...you can view the ride from different perspectives. 

• 1 – Default 6 O’clock view

• 2 – Third person view

• 3 – First person shooter perspective

• 4 – To the side front-Left of the rider – Good for a jersey shot

• 5 – Rear view from the right of the rear wheel – Excellent action shot

• 6 – Head on to the rider

• 7 – Spectator view

• 8 – Helicopter view – and sound effects

• 9 – Birds eye view

• 0 – Maintains camera lock to a rider

• You can use the Zwift Mobile App to follow your friends in Zwift.  I dropped out and had to rejoin the group.  Since I follow a number of you guys in the Zwift Mobile Link, I was able to restart Zwift and choose "Ride with Patrick McCrann" and rejoin the group.  

• You earn points and experience as you go, which unlocks new gear and cool stuff..but you only earn them by riding!

• Options
    Thanks @Al Truscott and @Sid Wavrin
    I'll attempt to join! 

• Options
    So...I *think* I get the w/kg but it highlights that I have some work to do to ride with others ...
    Can you confirm my understanding of the roll out??

My FTP = 190
    Weight = 70.3 in KG.
    140 watts/70.3 = 2.0
    160 watts/70.3 = 2.3
    • 0’ to 15’ @ 2.0 W/KG -> this means I am already in high Z2 when I start @.74 zone

• 15’ to 30’ @ 2.3 W/KG-> this means I am already in high Z3  @.84 zone

• 30’ to 45’ @ 2.6 W/KG - by now I am am most likely being dropped. :wink:

• 45’ to 60’ @ 2.9 W/KG - this is beyond my abilities...one week out from AZ. lol.

• Options
    @AnnSloan join the ride and see how it goes. Hopefully the group will grow and include riders wanting to do different things on different days. If we are on Discord we can talk about what everyone is wanting to do. The more the merrier! You can always finish your ride in Zwift at whatever pace suits your schedule. Hope to see you there.
  • Options
    I’m planning to join in, at least for an hour or so. Planning a 2 hr fatbike ride Sunday, which always kicks my ass, so I need to leave a little in the tank. The cord for my “wired” earbuds is too short to use and be able to sit up (bought BT just for that purpose, but I guess there’s a lag with Discord), so I may just be viewing and not chatting. I ordered an extension. @AnnSloan, I may be in the same boat. Got on the trainer today for the 1st time in 2 mos. Based on my August FTP, Z2 felt pretty hard. I may be off the back pretty quickly!
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2017 5:18PM
    Helps if you pick the right course! Duh. Thanks for the patience, guys. I’ll be joining you again.
  • Options
    So, I think that went superbly. The gruppo stayed pretty compacto thru about 30 minutes; late comers were able to join us; the stronger riders kept together for a full hour, we managed some conversation (although we still need work on dialing the sensitivity to mute some of he heavier breathing and grunting), and sub-group was able to form (Alicia and I rode together for about the last 15 minutes.

The group-ness of the ride is a real bonus for me when it comes to getting in an ABP type ride. I can do VO2 and FTP intervals quite nicely by myself; the focus required kinda precludes socializing anyway. But getting in 1-2.5 hours @ 0.8-0.85 IF indoors when it's dark and raining outside - that requires some shared work, I think. 

It would be great to get our #s into double digits. Two weeks ago, I had zero experience in Zwift, and I'm an old dog. So if I can learn the new trick, I'd assume it ain't that hard. I'd advise someone who wants to join EN group rides to do a few learning rides on Zwift first - don't make the group ride your first Zwift ride. And be prepared for some frustration as you get used to trying to ride with the group. It's not you, its virtue reality...
  • Options
    Agree with @Al Truscott, that was so much more enjoyable than riding alone, and even though I’m pretty experienced with Zwift, I found juggling my desktop, iPhone and iPad at the same time a little overwhelming. Also, maybe if people want to do a shorter “learning ride” with someone during the week to test things out, you can post it here and get a riding partner. I’d suggest the GroupMe Sunday ABP group, but they have so many messages flying back and forth, your message would get lost!
  • Options
    Great ride, thanks to all! I agree Al, I’m good by myself doing shorter and harder but this Zwift is a great tool for pushing yourself on longer rides and trying to keep up!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it!  Thanks everybody!
  • Options
    Is anyone up for the the Three Sister's route for this Saturday (11/7)ABP? It is 29.7 miles with about 3000'. Change of scenery? 
  • Options
    I have never used Zwift and know nothing about it.  I am thinking about trying to join you guys sometimes for Saturday and/or Sunday rides.  I just downloaded the Zwift app on my iphone.  Can I just use this?? or do I have to use a laptop also?  Also I don't know what Discord is. Is that another app?  I will search for it.  I will try using Zwift by myself first and then see if I can learn how to join a group ride.  I have read through the above instructions, thanks @Al Truscott  
  • Options
    @Rafe Armstrong good idea to try it first. @Sid Wavrin  I think 3 sisters is a great ride.  The challenge will be to stay together.  I believe it’s about 45 to 55 minutes to the radio tower.  You will have to re group after that if you don’t stay together.  A group of us did it a few months ago and it was fine after we regrouped.  
  • Options
    @Sid Wavrin, Sounds good Sid. I'll be there.
  • Options
     @Sid Wavrin

Are all of you guys level C and B? I'm around 2.6 watts/kg which I think puts me in Level D  :/

@Ann Sloan  I think we are close but you're at IMAZ this weekend!

My goal is to get to level C before OS is over. I can find racers on Zwift that are level D but are strangers ... I'm not afraid of Stranger Danger. 
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard Join the ride and see how it goes. Hard to say where you would be in the group based on a hard watts/kilo number. The kind of trainer you use can also have an effect. I consider myself a “C”, and I had someone from EN to ride with pretty much the entire ride last Saturday. Afterwards, my file showed 2.5 w/k for 45 min. out of a 60 min ride. It was a challenging ride, but not crazy hard. I have a “dumb” trainer—Kinetic Road Machine with a PowerTap, so I don’t experience terrain changes like someone on a Wahoo Kickr would. Give it a shot and see how it goes. That being said, I won’t be joining for a couple of weeks :-( Trail run with a friend tomorrow, and next weekend I’ll be traveling back home from visiting family. 
  • Options
    The route is not as important to me as learning as a group how to do a gradual increase in effort over the first 45 minutes. Coach P's recommendations from the Sunday group thread are what I have in mind. There are lots of races and workout available on Zwift, but only the Sat/Sun ABP rides for meeting and making new EN friends. Start @ 1.5 w/kg, increase by 0.5 every 15 minutes. At that uptick from 2.5 to 3.0 @ 45 minutes, then each individual,s ABP pace can take over and we can go our separate ways. At that point, smaller groups can stay together... 

I'm gonna take my only chance this month to go check out Richmond this afternoon.
  • Options
    Hope to join the crew. Only rode Zwift once before during a demo trial so I am going to set up and work hard to be in the queue to see how it goes