Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Saturday Zwift Group Ride

Comments

• Options
    Thanks @Al Truscott. It was awesome having the team with me all morning from 6:00 to 11:40!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2017 9:19PM

@Sheila Leard I like to improve my FTP too.

I start racing in Swift a few weeks ago (btw I did 260 hrs in Swift in last a few years), I found it’s high motivation tool, on first race it was hard then it became easier.

I’m using Sufferfest now, I like all the riding party and the music (it’s crazy!), I’m going to use 2x 10-week training plan, my plan is to use it on my JOS, it’s danger (can be too much for OS and need modification), I suggest to work with coach P. about this.

It’s experience for me, I like to have FTP I can ride with local B team.

I did TT, I have 4D result, my first TT I felt so good.

Doron

• Options
    @Doron Preker I feel like I know you from somewhere. Were you a Spinervals guy awhile back?
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2017 11:24PM
    @Doron Preker: I am slowly getting adjusted to Zwift, but am an experienced “Sufferlandrian.” I use ERG mode and modify the Sufferfest videos to approximate the “spirit” of the FTP and VO2 intervals during JOS. I see Zwift as a great opportunity to do the Zn2-3 longer Saturday rides while completing a run focused JOS. 

@Sheila Leard and @Alicia Chase: While I don’t like the idea of weight doping, I’m going to “adjust as necessary” to hang with the group on the weekend ABP rides. I always drop significant weight as I approach race season, but I’m afraid that for me, it will be hard to handle a full JOS with a Run Durability focus with what always seems to be pretty intense riding in Zwiftland. I want my FTP to peak prior to my first (Oly) race in May. Many ENers riding right now are very experienced and very fit for December ;-) 
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2017 5:27PM
    Alicia Chase  Yes I remember you too 2013/14.
  • Options
    I'm in for a 7 AM PST Saturday ride; then @ 9 AM, I'm heading to the Day 6 of Zwiftmas, and throw my name in the hat for a new KICKR and Grade Simulator; its one lap up and over the Radio Tower:

• Options
    I was thinking the same @Al Truscott (about the Kickr). I have company, so the 9 am pst (noon est) should work for me.
  • Options
    I am going to switch my longer run to Saturday and ride a Zwift Fondo on Sunday. I will probably do a short portion of Saturday ABP. Maybe we should do the Road to Ruins to save legs for those doing the Zwiftmas ride. See you at the banner at 7:00. 
  • Options
    Two FYIs...The Sunday Fondo Sid is doing comes in three flavors: Gran (90 mi), Medio (45 mi), Bambino (30 mi). 
    There are a bunch of random prizes. Everyone who finishes any of these gets a special Zwift virtual jersey, and everyone in all three are entered in the prize drawings - two free entries to the actual Gran FOndo July 1 in Italy, 1 Official Maratona dles Dolomites-Enel cycling kit made by Castelli, 1 KASK Protone Helmet, 1 Segafredo Coffee Machine. https://zwift.com/events/view/34669

I'm no fool; I'll be doing the Bambino @ 0700 PST Sunday. So I can keep my weekly Sunday swim date with my wife @ 0830.

Second: Road to Ruins, remember, is locked unless you are level 10. If you still haven't made it there, just select "Ride With..." someone who is. A rider's level appears if you click on them in Zwift Mobile link.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott
    Nice!! I’ll do Bambino. Will you post it in the Event Chat?  Thanks for keeping us  in the know. 
  • Options
    Ok, so I’m also going to try to do the Bambino ride on Sunday. Tomorrow, looks like a little warmer and my fat bike is finally back from the shop, so doing a ride at 11:00. I want a shot at the Kickr, so I’ll have to do the Zwift group ride at either 8 am est or 2 pm est.
  • Options
    If my outdoor ride gets cancelled, then I'm in for the 11:00 and 12:00am Day 6 of Christmas rides.  Hope to see some of you there.
  • Options
    Riding Zwift with Team-mates is fun. Thanks for the U-Turn @Chris Oubre  and hanging with me after my flat tire. And @Josh Church loved your company.

The Zwiftmas ride with @Al Truscott and @matt limbert was a solid ABP ride up to the tower! 

• Options
    I'm in for the Bambino ride tomorrow. See you at the start line
  • Options
    For those doing the 7 AM (10 AM EST) Group Ride /Fondo Sun AM, note that even though we may not see each other at the start, we can use Discord to gather ourselves once we get going, using a few tricks:
    • In a group ride, even if all the riders dont have the same kit (sometimes Zwift will do that for Group rides), they will still be the only ones you see on the road ahead and behind.
    • On the right sidebar, the only riders listed will be the ones in the Group Ride
    • And, at the top of that sidebar, your position in the group will appear. Sheila and Matt Limbert and I used that successfully to find each other and stay together at the 9 AM ride this morning.
    So, if you're on Discord, I'll be looking for you in the Bambino ride, assuming I can get up in time. Today, my eyes opened at 6:22, and I barely made it to our start. I never use an alarm clock...

• Options
    Enjoyed the Bambino ride today Al, thanks for organizing.
  • Options
    Riding the Pack Social Ride + KOM After Party tomorrow 1/1/18 at 2:15PM EST if anyone wants to join.  Ralph1 will make his debut.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2018 3:29AM
    @Al Truscott l I don't know about you guys, but my fondo ride at 3am had like 1100 people in it.  It was a sea of red jerseys, but fun.  Never seen that many people in one ride before.  Laptop was struggling at like 3fps.    
  • Options
    3200 in the three rides combined (A,B,C), with 6500 overall in Zwift...largest crods Ive seen. People kept disappearing in front of me...
  • Options
    3500 Fondo riders @ 1600 UTC, 6500 overall in Zwift
  • Options
    Saturday 1/6 Zwift ABP at 7:00 Pacific. Watopia Big Loop. Use the Rride with function if you are not level 10 or above.
  • Options
    Some of us doing the P race at 10:05am EST sat morning. C category for me
  • Options
    Thanks for the great ride today everyone.  Zwift captured this photo of me, Sid and Turby riding together.  Just a little memento to remember our ride by ;-)

• Options
    Agree!  And thx for leading us @Sid Wavrin !
  • Options
    @ John Katsoudas, Sid Wavrin. That was right before you dropped me like a bag of dirt! Great ride, thanks all. Nap time!!  
  • Options
    Great ride! It was worth regrouping part way through. The push from others late in the ride is where the training happens! So glad you guys were there. Thanks.
  • Options
    Let's get back to climbing! Three Sisters for this Saturday 1/13?  I'll be at the start banner@ 7:00 pacific. 
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2018 6:38PM
    Sid, I looked at the Zwift events calendar for a Three Sisters ride and don't find anything listed.  Is this just a few of us picking a course and riding it?  If so, what's the nature of this ride as in duration, intensity, etc?  Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2018 9:05PM
    @Dave Campbell it is the regular Saturday AM ride on Zwift. Who ever wants to ride will log on to Zwift, choose Three Sisters, soft pedal to start banner and look for EN team members and ride with them. We start out easy (about 1.5 w/kg) and slowly increase over about 1 hour and break in to groups depending on how hard you want to ride. You can also choose to “ride with” another team member when you log in. I think some people are going 2 hrs plus, but you can do whatever. This is not in the event calendar. Hope to se you there. You should also join the Discord channel if you have done that. Most people will be connected there. 
  • Options
    As always, I prefer to climb. My last group ride until Super Bowl Saturday, going back next Thurs to CO to ski with @Scott Dinhofer

@Dave Campbell This is not a ride on the Zwift calendar; we just all try to show up at the start banner @ 1500 UTC (0700/1000 P/EST), try to get on Discord simultaneously, and roll out together. If you get there late, or are worried you'll be left behind, elect "Ride With..." before you start. Or, selecting 3 Sisters as your ride will keep you on the correct turns without any further action on your part.

3 Sisters is about 48 km long, and will take 1.5 hours +/- to complete. So-named as it includes all three of Watopia's KOMs, as well as the infamous Radio Tower climb, which is not a KOM even though it has grades of up to 17%, and takes me 8 minutes or so to escalate its 450'/1 mi wall.

If you have a smart trainer, this is a good ride to learn how to enter the "super-tuck" on the down hills - just accelerate to 58 km, and stop pedaling, then watch your avatar take it from there. There's a four mile long downhill after the top of Radio Tower, you can coast most of the way, so you should work extra hard on the way up, knowing you'll get to recover.