Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Patrick Morton Official Coach Thread

edited January 10, 2018 12:09AM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes - Intermediate Level

IMCanada '03, '04, IMAZ 2005, 2013 (1:20/5:21/5:36)

I'm mostly a road Cyclist racing Masters Cat 4 (FTP 285w/82KG) But I also Race Fat Bike and MtnBike

I ran a trail Marathon and the St George Marathon in 2016 (4:30) trying to qualify for Boston but injured my hamstring 5 weeks before the race. I have never had a successful Marathon.

my Racing age is 50 and fitness is good although I've only run 100mi in the last year.

I've a averaged between 450-550 hrs training per year for the last 10 years.

My #1 limiter is weight. I should be able to get to 70kg with focused work.

My Swims have all been between 1:15 & 1:20 and I'm very interested in the VASA Ergometer 

I plan on doing a Fall IM with a friend but we have no Idea which one yet. I plan to Road Race in the spring before transitioning to TRI with a Summer Half (?) My goal is to have a well paced race with a solid run (actually running :)

Long Term I'd like to qualify for Kona, in the next few years. Maybe when I age up to 55 (?)

I'm a Pilot so I dont work a M-F week and will need to tweak the basic training week to fot my work schedule. 

Perhaps we should off on the Season Map till I Pick some specific races?  

Your Races

• 6/23/2018 Toughman Utah 1/2 IronMan
  • 08/12/2018 - Leadville trail race (goal is sub 9)
  • 11/03/2018 - Then build to IMFL.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/18/17
  • Complete the Trial Testing Week, save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 11/20/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
  • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the EN*Half Plan, Do Level 2, to End on 6/24/2018
  • From 6/25/2018 to 8/12/2018 You have Flexibility to Race Go Nuts on the bike and for Leadville
  • On 8/13/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/3/2018
  • On 11/4/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/1/2018
  • On 12/2/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2018
  • On 12/30/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/26/2019

Coach Notes

How to Train This (And Every Fall) Inside Endurance NationGroupMe Chat for RDP 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/ci3jwpwc2n?embedType=iframe&amp;seo=false&amp;videoFoam=true&amp;videoWidth=400

Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (to be announced)

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon on the main Members website here.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Your Homework

+ 5’8" ~ 182 lbs. Body composition is his biggest limiter 

We have some good guidance for you on Baby Steps here in the Nutrition section of our Wiki (Library): Baby Steps for Body Comp protocol (Resources > Wiki > Nutrition) 

+ Recurring injury in the right hamstring issue (mid hammy). How to take care of it while sitting all the time? 

We can't get you to stand on a plane, but we can keep you mobile in most other situations (flight days = no sitting in other places please). I also recommend getting a tennis ball you can put under than hammy when sitting...it can help. Wallet not in your back pocket, etc. Let's see if that does anything!!!

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Hi Patrick,
    I wanted to add some notes as well. While I've been racing tri's since 2000 my 1st passion is Cycling and with the exception of 6 months surrounding IMAZ I've been Bike racing primarily for the last 10 years. 
    I've had a bit of a rocky start as I've had very limited time to train over the past 4 weeks. This was an expected break in Tri training because of Work Training and not "biting off more than i could chew".  I'm currently getting over a cold, but look forward to starting the OS soon!

-I have signed up for:
    6/23/2018 Toughman Utah 1/2 IronMan
    8/12/2018 Leadville Trail 100
    11/03/2018 IM Florida 2018
    As a cyclist who likes to "race into shape" I will be adding in some "B & C" races but for now those are the three pillars of my 2018 season.

-I get congested lungs from chlorine pools. So I will be purchasing a Vasa Ergo Trainer in Febuary and making a longer drive to a saline pool or open water swim when it warms up.

-Because I will be Road and MtnBile racing some this spring and summer I think the Bike focused OS might be better for me.
    Happy New Year!
    Pat
  • Options

Thanks for the information!!! I updated your Roadmap ^above^ with the Toughman and more, so you can move forward with confidence.

I like the "race to get fit" plan for cycling...that generally is really effective (and fun). If you aren't already on Zwift, I encourage you to check it out...I race there 2x or 3x a week, depending, and it's pretty darn good work. GroupMe EN Zwift Chat is where folks are chatting about Zwift or you can learn more about our set up in the Wiki: Getting Started on Zwift

I have left the middle of your year pretty open right now in the build to Leadville. I am hoping we can talk about how to hack that training because many others here will benefit. 

Finally, while you are getting back up to speed, feel free to follow the L1 (Beginner) or L2 (intermediate) OutSeason® workouts...no need to push hard, we just want the consistency in the first few weeks. You can learn more about the winter training here: OutSeason Plan

~ Coach P

Also...let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options
    Coach Patrick,
    I'm really struggling to get started on the out season plan. Because of work training (and being gone from home) this December my CTL is the lowest it has been in 10 years (CTL 22) and going from zero to Max Effort workouts is daunting. Is there a plan that will "ease" me back into training? Alternatively, is there a Run Focused 20 week Half IM plan? I've been looking at the Bike Focused plan and with my Half being 20 weeks out and my cycling background I think that might be just the ticket.
    Thanks!
    Pat
  • Options
    Patrick - 

Thanks for being so honest. I understand what you mean about getting back on track and I agree smarter is better than harder at this point in time. I am working on the half iron training plans now and will hopefully have them available to the team this weekend. Please stay tuned for that announcement in the “all things training plans forum.” Until then, I suggest that you load up the run durability plan of your choice.

There are three versions with the first one being the easiest and the third one being the more challenging one. Nothing terrible in terms of difficulty just a little more work. Let’s get you on is consistent a program of running as we can.

Remember, even 2 miles a day done regularly can have a significant effect on your overall fitness. Just because you’re not hitting the bigger section doesn’t mean we can’t achieve your goals.

Let’s get some basic fitness going now and when you have the time and availability, you’ll be in a place where you can actually do the work that will get you ready for race day. 
  • Options

@Pat Morton -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Super excited to help you get ready for Ratter. Not sure if you are aware of this, but it’s one of our key races for 2019…there will be 15 to 20 other TeamEN athletes there (mostly to ultra run). There’s a GroupMe group I can put you into if you aren’t offended easily…it’s a rough crowd! 🤣

I think that you should go OS and you and I modify it to get you ready. The base is enough…you need intensity with some weekend volume to really get ready. Then we transition to Bike Focus / MTB into Leadville itself…recover, and then IMFL!!!

Please set up a call with me for Jan so we can modify the OS!!! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

•  03/30/2019 MTB Austin Rattler 100k Leadville Trail Qualifer
    • 08/10/2019 Leadville Trail 100 MTB Sub 9hrs #1 A priority for the year
    • Ironman Florida (2019-11-02) #IMFL_19  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 5/26/2019
    • On 5/20/2019 Load the    MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on 8/11/2019
    • On 8/12/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the    EN*Full Run Focused to end on 11/3/2019
    • On 11/4/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019

Your Notes

History- IM Canada '03, '04 IMAZ '05 '13

Leadville 100 MTB '09 '10, LOTOJA '10

500+ hrs Bike and Run Training per year for the last 10 years.

2018 Hamstring injury March. Post Rehab I did the Triple Trail Challenge to include the Mid Mountain Marathon

Current Bike FTP 250. I can be at 270 in 8 weeks and 285 by July

Current Run FTP 305. I am on day 95 and 386mi of a run streak to finish New Years Eve.

I have not swam since 2013

Current CTL 61tss

I'm 5'8" and 185 pounds, Race weight should be under 160. It is my biggest limiter.

With Leadville being my top focus I will need to do at least one qualifier to get a fast coral. My big question is do I do the out-season or start in on the MTB plan as we are coming up on 12 weeks out? I have an OK Base but no structured intensity for the last 6 months.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Thanks Coach P!

I like the idea of modifying the OS Plan so I keep my Run going. I have a "Sweet Spot" plan from FasCat Coaching that I had considered using, but it is up to 12 hours per week and stacking running on top of that would probably be too much for me to sustain over the long haul. This is the #1 reason I am with EN. I know the rattler is similar to Half IM and Leadville similar to IM in intensity so our task is to get my power as high as possible while building up the necessary Endurance.

I look forward to talking to you on the 17th.

Pat

• Options

PS - Go ahead and add me to that GroopMe group for the Rattler. I'm a big boy ;) I'll need yo figure out how it works, but I think connecting to the team is a definite EN benefit. -Pat

• Options

Consider it done! You have been added. They will treat you nicely, I know it. Yes, I look forward to modify the plan with you. I agree, add in the running to the plan will be too much but feel free to share it with me before we talk if there are points you want to consider. Have a great weekend.

• Options

Hi Coach P!

I got a lottery slot to Leadville yesterday. Looking at my season I think it might be better to Skip The Rattler on April 13th and use Tahoe Trail 100k on July 13 (4 weeks prior) or the Leadville Stage Race (2 weeks prior) to get a good corral. That would give me a simpler build and cost less "Spousal Approval Units". I'm intrested in talking to you about those options when we talk Thursday. I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Pat

• Options

Nice!!!!!!! We had at least one other lottery prep in @Emily Brinkley 😱

i like your plan looking forward to le talk!

• Options

Yes!! There are a handful of us in for august. Whoo hoo!!

• Options

@Pat Morton

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

@Pat Morton

Month Three Forum Post to Add To qualifying members (Notification Email Here)

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Hey Coach P!

I need some guidance on training plans going forward. After the Leadville 100 I was set up to dive into training for IM Florida in 11 weeks. But I think I'm going to change my focus to Weight Loss / Body Composition for the next few months, the training to Qualify for Boston in an early 2020 race Using a Balanced Marathon Plan then Back into Bike training for Leadville 2020.

I know my weight/body comp is a limiter for me and if I'm spending all my time Building for an event it won't change.

I was thinking of Run Durability plus Cycling Maintenance for the next few months. What training plans would you recommend?

I don't have a specific Qualifying Marathon in mind, is there one the team has some people at in February-March that might be a good fit for me to qualify at?

I'm happy to do a Leadville follow up podcast if you want, even though I DNFed, I'm still super happy with my experience. I'm also happy to give a little insight into how I think the training plans might be tweaked for MTB Marathon.

I'll get my Race Report up on GroupMe and in the forums soon.

Pat

• Options

@Coach Patrick - please see Pats note above.

• Options

Patten, this is been on my radar for a few days now, so my apologies for the delay. I agree with your general focus which is Rhonda ability for the remainder of August, September and part of October. Ideally you will not start the marathon training until November.

The runner ability program has one bike a week, I would modify that to have one hard session mid week such as is with Ralph for a short group ride, and one longer endurance ride on the weekend. Weekend ride will be more than 1/13 stuff in the 2 to 3 1/2 hour range. That will also help with the body, and balance out the running as it builds. Any bike you wanna ride is fine.

While the team only picked one keyways, I believe they’ve also picked the Austin Marathon as one with interest. Not want to check and see if that timing works for you?

When you get a chance, why don’t you line up in some bullet points your current body comp unless you’re trying your body comp will be so we can hash out a plan. 👍

• Options

Ok @Coach Patrick I’ll put an outline together of what/how I going to do for the next 12 weeks and post it here.

I've been trying to figure out how to engage with the team for the next 6 months because I found it so helpful keeping me on track for Leadville. The alternative was/is working with a local sports nutritionist here in PC.

The Austin Marathon would have good timing for me and give me a way to engage with the team, but unfortunately isn’t a terribly fast course. That being said, if my weight is where it needs to be I shouldn’t need a “super fast” course, right?

Any way, I’ll get to writing out a Polarized Body Comp Training Plan to include Run Durability and Cycling Maintenance. If either you or @Brenda Ross can think of a way to get me more engaged with the team I’m all ears.

Pat

• Options

@Pat Morton have you joined the GroupMe? There is a run group for those doing run durability or run only programming and there is the EN 24/7 group as well. Both are very active and a great way to get more engaged with the team.

• Options

In addition to the run group for the short term, we have our out of season training groups that connect starting in November. Those same great people, and more!, are online there and can certainly help you out. I think the key will be finding the intersection of the social group as well as your specific goals to make it supportive and relevant.

• Options

50 Weeks or 349 days till the Leadville Trail 100mi Mountain Bike Race

The biggest impediment to me finishing under 9 hours is weight. Everything I have to carry up those 11,000 feet of climbing costs power and oxygen, two things that I have a limited supply of in Leadville. So, for the next few months I will focus my training not on improving power, but on decreasing body weight.

Bike Training- in testing my Fat Burning leveled off at 55% of FTP (147w=336cal/hr from Fat) and fell rapidly after after 85-90% FTP. My goal is to maintain my cycling power while burning as much fat as possible.

Every week I’ll do 2x days of SweetSpot intervals starting at 2x10 and building to 2x20. These intervals will be inside a 2-3 hour Z2 ride. The remainder of the weeks ridding will be strictly Z2. Total Weekly Bike volume 7-9hrs.

Run Training- testing showed that I burn much more fat while running than cycling. At the top of Z1 (212w) I burn 672 cal/hr from Fat. In Running Fat burning stays high till 95% of FTP (292w) before declining slowly. My goal for run training is to build my frequency and mileage via the Run Durability program so I can start Marathon training later this fall. Because Fat Burning stays high at all intensities I won’t restrict the type of Run training I do, but Z1 burns a ton of fat and has lower recovery cost.

I have Run Durability for Runners Phase 2 loaded for 8/25-9/21 and Phase 3 for 9/21-10/19. Then Balanced Marathon Level 3 for 10/20-2/08.

As far as the nutrition side of things, I’ve just signed up for “Stronger U” Nutritional Coaching (as suggested by EB). My Plan was to eat just under a maintenance level of calories plus 50% of the kJ I burn in workouts. As long as I stick to the workout parameters laid out above at least 50% of my workout fuel will be coming from Fat and there is no need to “replace” fat burned in workouts only the carbohydrates. At 10 hours per week that would net me about 1 pound of fat loss per week. As far as Nutritional Macros it was my intent to eat 1g of Protein per pound of Lean Body Mass which in my case is 130. I would limit Fat to 15g per meal (60g/day) as there is no nutritional or satiating benefit beyond that. Carbohydrates would be around 300g/day before adding in workout calories, mostly from whole food sources.

One pound of Fat Loss per week will get me to my goal weight in early 2020. That’s a very long time to stay focused. But, trying to lose weight any faster than that has a higher likelihood of failure and rebound weight gain. Hiring a Nutrition Coach will help me maintain the focus I need to get to where I want to be.

That’s the plan for now @Coach Patrick I’m interested to hear what you think and if you’d make any changes.

Pat

• Options

@Coach Patrick

The "Pace a Marathon" page that you put up recently says pace miles 1-5 @ .76-.78, miles 6-20 @.80-.82. But in Final Surge Z2 "Marathon Pace" is defined as .85-.88 Why the disconnect?

The Reason I ask is I need to be able to run a 3:20 marathon to qualify for Boston. And if .80-.82 is the best, most realistic pacing I will need to either increase my CP/FTP or Decrease my KG.

For me, at a CP/FTP of 300w .81 (.80-.82) is 243w and .865 (.85-.88) is 260w. This is the difference between a 3:20 marathon and a 3:33 marathon at 70kg. The 1st qualifies for Boston the 2nd does not. To look at it another way, to hit my goal time of 3:20 with a CP/FTP of 300 running @ .865 IF I need to be 70KG to do it @ .81 IF I would need to be 66KG. Or improve my CP/FTP to 320w.

My current plan was to race the Mesa-PHX marathon on Feb 8th 2020 which is 16 weeks out. If I need to dedicate some extra time to increasing my FTP I'll need to find a different race. Which may or may not fit into my Season Plans with Leadville 100 MTB.

Thanks!

Pat

• Options

Pat I will have to look at those two marathon pages to see. Sometimes one page was written five years ago before a power meter was invented and sometimes a page was written recently. In general I refer you to the most recent guidance we have but I will still look this month.

As for your plan for Leadville, I agree that body composition is important. I think one factor you are not discussing here is the training approach you took to last year which I believe is insufficient with regards to the need to work really hard on certain sections and recover. I think you need significantly higher intensity intervals and fitness to be ready for Leadville. I do not think it is a steady state event like an Iron Man although yes there is a significant amount of physical endurance required. Can you speak specifically about how you’re planning to change your training approach?

It’s really hard for me to talk to you about Nutrition) planning simply because every athlete is different. I like that you are walking working with a great team to identify the code that works for you. My only piece of cautious advice is there a good nutrition shouldn’t be that hard. If you have to weigh stuff Zach stuff record every stuff etc. at some point it becomes more of a job and may not be sustainable. I would personally plan for a three month engagement to learn what I need to know and then try to go to Loit’s really hard for me to talk to you about nutrition planning silly because every athlete is different. I like that you were walking and working with a great team to identify the code that works for you. My only piece of cautious advice is that good nutrition shouldn’t be that hard. If you have to weigh stuff zap stuff record every stuff etc. at some point it becomes more of a job and may not be sustainable. I would personally plan for a three month engagement to learn what I need to know and then try to go it alone.

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick

Your Nutrition advice was to the point as I had just stopped working with Stronger U and taken back control myself. You are exactly right that counting every macro and weighing/recording everything you eat is not a Sustainable Long Term Solution. So, I'll do it myself and it'll be slow, uneven and painful, But I'll get to where I need to be.

For Leadville, yes, this year I plan to include significantly more intensity this year. Last year I tried to keep things in "Sweet Spot" (88-92% of FTP here at 7000ft) for 2 reasons. 1st because I can not lose weight if I go harder and that was a goal and 2nd because traveling to 4000ft to do higher intensity work ate into my total time on the bike.

March 21st 2020 BQ Marathon attempt, pushed back because of Hamstring and subsequent Knee injury

April -June 2020 Classic XC MTB race build. Racing 3-4 XC races in the Intermountain Cup (typically 25-30 miles). Plus several "Mid-Week MTB Races" on Tue-Wed (typically 60-75min). There is a Wasach Back 50mi race mid June.

Mid June-Aug 15th 2020 Build for Leadville. I'll be doing the Leadville Stage Race again. Last Year I dug too deep a hole in July and had to spend 4 weeks Tapering/Recovering, that was too long. I either need to go to 2-hard/1-recover or resist going so deep with 16-18hr weeks.

I'm not sure exactly which training plans I'll use for my XC Race Build, although I've had really good success with the 2013 Out Season plans building a solid FTP. I'm sure I can hack the MTB Ultra plan to make it work for me for the Leadville Build.

Right now, I just loaded the Run Durability #3 Plan starting in Nov 3rd and the 16 week Balanced Marathon plan starting December 1st.

Pat

• Options

OK, thanks for checking in.I amGlad you gave me a little bit more detail on your season. Thank you. One of the ways that I have had success with my body composition is just creating a daily plan and only changing small parts of it

.So, For example,Same breakfast, same lunch, different dinner. Makes life a lot easier.Believe it or not these early nly weeks are just as importantIs the final ones. Consistency really matters here.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick

I submitted a season roadmap. In a nutshell I’ve dropped the idea of BQing because I’ve injured myself a couple times. So I’m 99.9% Bike with just a run supplement (like last season).

I have the Austin Rattler on March 28 on my schedule as well because the other ENers are doing it. Then the Leadville Stage Race 2 weeks before the 100. I’d like to go into the Stage Race with No Taper as I tapered too early last year and my performance in the 100 suffered (my fault).

I’ll start the Cycling Out Season today and follow it till I hear otherwise.

Pat

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 03/28/2020 Austin Rattler MTB 100k
    • 07/31/2020 Leadville Trail Stage Race (3 day
    •  08/15/2020 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 19, 2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on  2/16/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 1/20/2020  Load the    MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on  3/29/2020
    • On 3/30/2020  Load the    Rest Week  to end on  4/5/2020
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  6/14/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 5/11/2020  Load the    MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on  8/16/2020
    • On 8/17/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/13/2020

Your Notes

Leadville Stage Race 2019 8:33 total time

Leadville 100 MTB 2019 DNFSince Leadville 12 weeks ago I’ve been trying to Ramp up my running in order to BQ in the spring. But, my cardiovascular fitness allowed me to push harder than my Running Legs could handle in testing (5k Test) and I pulled a hamstring and then injured my knee.

I’ve dropped the goal of BQing and am going to focus 100% on Mountain Bike and the 2020 Leadville 100 MTB. 

I plan on racing the Austin Rattler 100k at the end of March and a local 50mi MTB in Early June along with several other MTB XC races along the way. But, EVERYTHING is geared towards going sub 9 at Leadville.

I’ll start the Cycling Out Season until I hear otherwise. 

Cheers:)

Pat

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick

Thanks for this! I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, although I doubt you threw down a fast Turkey Trot after your IMAZ over the weekend. I’ve done that race twice (2005 & 2014) both times thinking the flatter course would benefit me as a heavier (not so lean) racer. Not my best plan. Maybe after I check the Leadville sub 9 box We can focus on an IronMan, Coeur d’Alene 2021??? eventually I want to KQ but I know I need to do a better job reintroducing running.

I‘ve struggled with the Cycling OS as with my injured knee. It is getting better and I’m able to do more intense rides on it, but I’m well behind on the plan. But, next week is a FTP test and the VO2 phase starts and I should be able to pick up the plan from there.

I recently found out I will be in Atlanta for Aircraft Training from January 20th to February 18th. This corresponds with the 1st 4 weeks of the Ultra Plan and I should be able to build some great power at “Sea Level”.

Thanks again for the Season Plan. I just wanted to say, even though I’m off to a bit of a slow start, it looks like a solid plan and everything is falling into place.

Supper excited for 2020!

Merry Christmas

Pat

• Options

Pat, how is the knee doing? It might put you on a slower build up, but if we manage the fatigue well enough, you should be back on target by the time we get closer to January and your sea level time.

Let me know and I hope you have a great holiday!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

The knee is improving. I can make power on the bike at any cadence no problem. I can feel that it’s not 100% and occasionally feel a tweak while manipulating the bike laterally but I no longer have any swelling or lingering pain after a ride or workout.

I did the 5x2min yesterday between 130-140% FTP outside on a pitchy hill with no issues. I don’t think it’ll be a problem going forward with bike training. I’ll need to work on ST & Mobility before I start up running again but that’s a discussion for another season.

As far as the build goes, I think I’ll probably go into the Spring with my power close to my historical high of 280-285w just as I did last Summer. With focused work I think I should finally be able to reach a 300w FTP before we go into the 12 week build for Leadville.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Pat

• Options

That is great news that you found a way to maintain your fitness without aggravating the knee.

Sounds to me like getting some basic mobility and the muscles around the joint will become important. That and some of the specific functional strength that you discussed. One of my mantras has always been that we don’t mess with knees or hips, so I’m glad that you’re being smart here.

While getting started with functional strength or self-care can seem challenging, always remember that our baseline is so low, so weak, that it only takes a few minutes a day to make a difference. Please let me know if I can help.

This discussion has been closed.