Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Patricia Rosen Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Races

• 01/21/2018; running; 3M half marathon
  • 02/18/2018; running; Austin half marathon 
  • Ironman Brazil (2018-05-27) #IMBrazil_18
  • 70.3 Worlds in Sept 9/01/2018

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/04/2017  
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/17/2017
  • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 3/19/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 5/27/2018
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/24/2018
  • On 6/25/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 9/2/2018
  • On 9/3/2018 Load the Intermediate Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/16/2018
  • On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/14/2018

Coach Notes

Hey rock star...nice rice out there!!! I hope you are planning on resting a bit (I put it in there above) before you move on. I have you in the Jan OutSeason Plan before moving on with the regular build to Brazil in the EN*Full Plan. Then we recover (yes, a big block of recovery) so you can push pretty darn hard for 70.3 Worlds. 

I'd like to know what you have in place for goals this year...

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    got it! Thanks, Coach!

I'd like to know what you have in place for goals this year...

I have toxicology boards in October so my goal is to pass my exams :)  and all else is Lagniappe!  Next year I want to do some epic biking and a couple of ironman races...
    and Ski!
  • Options

@Patricia Rosen - Great to catch up today. It's been too long!

I wanted to pass along some of the info we have on IMNZ.

Race Reports to Read

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/sso?Target=/discussion/18156/chappos-im-new-zealand-2015-race-report

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/sso?Target=/discussion/18159/mike-rs-imnz-race-report

Other Reading

Really detailed external report: http://www.atlantatriathlonclub.com/ironman-new-zealand-race-report/ Note the winds are on the outbound part of Lap 2 (not the return).

Training

First, you recover...it's been a big year so not too much please until we are ready!

Then, we go bike focus block, you can load that up in Final Surge. You should also consider loading the Functional Strength plan at the same time as the bike focus so we can dial in some good gym time!

From there you'll go right into the final few weeks of the Bike Focused Full Plan into OZ.

Modifications / Planning:

• You'll want 25mm race tires with low PSI to handle roads
    • New aerobar pads
    • Include 70-80rpm interval sets in Jan/Feb to get used to Wind Time, think 5' @ 80rpm, 5' normal, 5' @ 75 rpm, 5' normal, 5' @ 70rpm, 10' normal...then repeat, etc.

Let me know what you think!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you! this all looks good to me... I'll try to load up that bike focus block to start on Monday. good news, my two hours on the bike today was nice... I do still feel some soreness in legs but not much...

not so good news, work is going to get busy again so my weekends will go away... I will have to get my long rides and runs done during the week...

I'll look at the Functional Strength plan as well... I am a gym (and pool) "rat", always hanging around the gym, so I should put that to work...

Great to touch base with you! It sounds like you had an awesome year and then the follow up at Cabo! wow! I know you are showing us how it's done... Bravo!!!! you're the best!!!

• Options

ok. I loaded everything up. of course I have night shifts and 10 to 10 shifts this weekend so I will fit in what I can. I can do a lot of the functional work at home although I belong to an awesome gym and can go there as well...

stuff won't happen on exact day scheduled but will happen...

ciao! 28 degrees in Austin today :) had to bring the cactus in

• Options

Mind the cactus! In my opinion, the best part about using FinalSurge is my ability to see your workouts as completed. I’m not worried so much about complete compliance as I am about consistency at this time of year. I know you can nail that part no worries.

• Options

Thanks, Coach! I did a bunch over weekend. My climbing route is the "dam loop", so I did a double dam loop to get a good amount of time in... (it wasn't raining, I didn't have to work so I 'played in traffic'... it's a fun route but lots of stop lights) today I got in my run and my core work... It was glorious out there! would have done a swim but had some work to do...

I was pushing a lot but my watts remain low... the FTP from Final Surge is much lower than that which I use of 155... My last testing indoors showed an FTP of 147... Hmmm..mmm what's your thought on this... am I becoming a wimp?

the cactus have survived...

• Options

You were not becoming a wimp but improving that FTP is going to take some serious work. The most important thing is finding the right time to do that work so we see the results. From a macro perspective, I would say you need about six weeks to get back to being active, about eight weeks of regular training to develop a good baseline of fitness, and then we can do a 4 to 6 week push where we really challenge you to push those numbers. Ideally that type of work is done outside so you can really hit some higher numbers on the bike. That probably puts us into early February, etc. How does that sound?

• Options
    good!

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    www.toxicologyevaluation_austin.yourmd.com
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • Options

BTW, I think my watts are much higher than currently showing on Garmin...many rides inside are computrainer... don't kn

ow how to send those files to final surge but they are on my training peaks... I'll work on that... I plan to test on Thursday so I'll bring my race bike and wheel with the hub to do that...

check out the clean machine!

• Options

I love that high-end work, thanks for sending that file over from TrainingPeaks for me to look at.

So we have a little bit more time for you to kind of stay loose. Let me know how much guidance you need, and I will start working on what it means to be focused for you on the bike.

• Options

ok. sounds good! I have a bunch of shifts this weekend so... tues thurs might be all I can get in on the bike ...

• Options

@Patricia Rosen -

Just checking in on the progression...

• Bike Focus Through 12/23/18 (six total weeks)
    • Bike Focused IM Plan through 3/2/2018 (ten total weeks)

What I am hoping we can do is get a good baseline of running set up, and don't really make any modifications to it. IOW a good weekly mileage and sit on it.

We put that excess energy into the bike, specifically by doing a bike volume push in january (longer, not harder). This will allow us to dial back bike volume requirements in February, but instead add more quality and recovery rides there. Can you ride that long in Jan (all rides would count indoor and out, etc).

Swimming will be recovery only...thoughts?

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited December 5, 2018 1:13AM

ok, I think I figured this out... don't do the IM plan yet... but do bike outseason. I'm planning on doing a run test in the morning and bike test on Thursday... I love the swim! it is my yoga in the water :) and Iove chasing toes... but my swims are at lunch so it won't interfere with my bike..

My schedule is pretty sucky and at times unpredictable but ...starting in February I'll be able to do an hour in the morning fairly consistently. This weekend I work Friday and Saturday but will have Sunday to ride long.

http://tpks.ws/ZI4TFHGPOHXDIE2HPZORVBXTJQ

this was my workout from this morning followed by a quick 2 mile run... after doing core

• Options
    edited December 5, 2018 1:26AM

I'm doing my FTP test on Thursday with other folks so we can all sweat together so it might not be exact... but I'll get my w/o from Final Surge to Pedal Hard after that... easy peasy... my long rides will have to be all done on one day... unless I can get two days on a weekend... rare. let me know your thoughts...

• Options

Thanks for the heads up. I think that 1 long ride a week is ok, esp of you

can do one weekend a month with two rides. Could that happen?

• Options
    edited December 5, 2018 11:03PM

December is pretty bad. It looks like I will have one day off this weekend. Next weekend I'm out of town but might be able to get two rides in on the weekend anyway, the weekend of the 22nd, 23rd, I'll have two days to ride my bike and then... night shifts pretty much from Christmas through till Sunday the 30th... Sucks, don't it! January is not so good either. I just have to fit it in when I can.

• Options

love the report from Cozumel. When I did the swim I finished in 1 hour 7 minutes... but it clearly had nothing to do with my swim ability!

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 5:10PM

Did FTP today. averaged 152 (FTP of 144). In April I averaged 166... I've got a lot of work to do... and probably a lot of resting!

My weight today: 114.7

• Options

Thank you for all the updates. I think in the way you’re crazy life/work schedule has allowed you to recover from your ambitious racing. It’s not something I would fight at this point, clearly something is working for you!

Thank you for the update on the data, I think you’ll be surprised where you are at just after the new year. Onward!

• Options

question... Rob Mentioned an alps in France camp... I have no idea if I can spare the time but would love to explore the opportunity if it is open to me...

• Options

So glad you could connect with him, he is fantastic! All the information of the camp is in the camps for him here. Just go to that section and you’ll see the thread! Right now I’m in the process of gauging interest.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I know you are already on the Minimalist FULL plan to Boulder, and I think that's great. The only "modifications" to that program is to put in a 1 or 2 really long easy ride days...in the 6 to 8 hour range...not hard, just cruising and munching and exploring. These aerobic days are a great counterpart to the quality you are doing in the week.

Post Boulder we recover 2 weeks, then we jump into the Half Plan just to get some really good HIM work done. You'll use that to prep for worlds and then we'll exit into the Full plan. The key here is that we'll be jumping around plans, and weeks, so I can help you post Boulder! Just ping me... 👍

Your Races

• Ironman Boulder (2019-06-16) #IMBoulder_19
    • 08/17/2019 Seawheeze half marathon
    • 09/07/2019 70.3 world championship, Nice, France
    • Ironman World Championship (2019-10-12) #IMKona_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/28/2019
    • On 3/25/2019 Load the    EN Full, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/14/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 6/30/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/7/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 7/27/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/2/2020

Your Notes

New Zealand, Waco 70.3, etcNot too bad :)

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks!

Looks great! Will you all be coming to Hawaii?

• Options

Of course!!!! Can’t wait to hang out with you!

• Options

so, coach, It's been rough out here in the wastelands... I'v had too many ER shifts and they have been 4 and 5 in a row... my training is WAY off! my longest run has been a little more than 11 miles and my longest continuous swim about 3200m and longest bike on the trainer! 2:45... these next few weeks opens up a little... I will finally get to ride my new bike on the road barring more tornados! I have a 4 in a row all night shifts so I'l be staying up in Killeen and hopefully getting some swims in there at the armed services YMCA indoors and running in the neighborhood... Pray for me in Boulder!

It is taking forever for me to dial in my fit on this new bike 😖even thought the bike is the same as the last one... it's a 51 which is what I should be riding not the 54 which I was riding...

• Options
    edited May 5, 2019 5:35PM
  • Options

with my seat and a rotor crank at same length as my old custom crank, vector powermeter now since my old power tap wheel got trashed as well

• Options
    edited May 7, 2019 1:17AM

oh, I think I told you about this...

New Zealand Air trashed my old bike :(

that's my Scicon soft case that got trashed as well