Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Patricia Rosen Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Had issues with pinched wire that no one could find for a month! Not a fan of electronic shifters! Set it up to manual ... don’t like the machine making decisions for me... and finally.... have correct fit.... I think next year I’ll go from shimano to SRAM... less wires ... I can not believe how hard it was for the mechanics to find the crimped wire! Just ridiculous 🤨

• Oh, good news... cutting back on work after October... wish I could cut back now

• Are you 100% on going “wireless“. I did that on my road bike last year and it’s been fantastic. The second generation shifters are the bomb.

Also, that is fantastic news about October. No worries about not doing it sooner, I think your age group is happy that is the case. I will be curious to see what you do with all of that “extra“ time. 😂

• 'curious to see what you do with all of that "extra" time....'

Sleep!

• so, at the SeWheeze I ran a 1:58 which is good for a half marathon and it was 60 degrees out! (so much better than our 30 days of over 100 here in Austin) but I injured my ankle... feels uncomfortable at insertion of achilles into the heel bone... so I'm not running prior to the race in France. Other problem is a saddle sore which is just starting to heal, so no biking either.. I think I'll just be swimming prior to the WC 70.3 and WC in Kona...

I'd go to the doctor but he'll just say "don't run it'll get better..."

I should have done more yoga and less running!

• didn't realize my note from above did not go through.... saddle sore is gone and good, achilles injury is better, I'm wearing Hokas to prevent pain/injury. BTW, I submitted race report and new list of races for next year. Riding in France up the Col de Vence was a good opener for upcoming adventures! I loved it!

• also, can you check that I'm on the list, if there is one, for Kona? I believe I ordered a shirt already. I'd like to get a polo shirt too if possible... might be too late

• I just submitted next years plan... I hope I didn't do it twice!

• @Patricia Rosen I'm helping Coach Patrick loading season plans into Final Surge. Here is what he came up with:

Start the OutSeason this week (14 weeks), then Swim Camp in Feb, followed by EN Full Run Focused leading into Saint George.

We looked at your workout calendar - and saw you got started last week and posted a few workouts.

Are you ready to start the OutSeason work this week? Next week or 10 Nov? We can make it work. But you should feel recovered before you crank it up again.

I can load the plans for you. Just let us know when you want to get started.

------------------

The full season looks like:

10/28/2019  Load the        OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks   to end On   2/2/2020On  

2/3/2020    Load the    --  Swim Camp   to end on   2/9/2020

2/10/2020   Load the    --  EN Full Run Focused to end on   5/3/2020

5/4/2020    Load the        Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on   5/31/2020

6/1/2020    Load the    --  EN Full Bike Focused    to end on   8/30/2020

8/31/2020   Load the        Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on   9/27/2020

9/28/2020   Load the        Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on   10/25/2020

@Coach Patrick

• edited October 30, 2019 5:02AM

I'm pretty much recovered although I am still working too many hours and going off to Phoenix to recertify my ATLS (required for my ER practice)

anyways, don't forget I'm doing Campeche in March which is a half ironman... that seems to be left out...

the other item that is left out relates to the camp in France in July

Can you please reassess this?

Also you might not be aware of the training plans that Coach gave me that run up through I think December...

lots of stuff missing here unless you don't think I need to train 🤣for the half ironman or the camp in France

• edited October 30, 2019 5:32AM

I can load the plans myself but I'm concerned about the current recommendations not having Campeche in there... but I like that swim camp in there...

I am guessing the France camp will come with it's own set of workouts

• edited October 30, 2019 5:33AM

and... if you're coming to Austin, when the heck is this Rattler thing? I live in Austin and belong to a cycling club here that probably can help with any questions you may have on the course... I don't do much mountain biking so I don't know much about this race ...

Are you a pro? I saw your time of around 9 hours on Santa Rosa and that, my friend, is impressive!!!!! Damn!

• @Patricia Rosen Thanks for the heads up on the Rattler thing. I would like to learn more about the course. It could help me find similar terrain to practice on.

I shared your concerns with Coach Patrick - i.e. the current recommendations not being consistent with your race plans, the Campeche HIM in March and France Camp. I'm sure he will take another look at it and give you his thoughts.

I know he wanted you to get started on the OutSeason - when you felt recovered and it fits your schedule. I believe he intended to switch you from the Balanced Durability Plan to his new OutSeason Plan. You were scheduled to start that plan 11 Nov. Does that date still work for your schedule?

What are your goals for the HIM in March and St. George? That might impact how he approaches the build. Are you willing to work through the HIM on the way to St. George?

@Coach Patrick

• Patti - I hear you on your season so let’s talk more here.

I addressed the items you mention it in the video which you’ll be getting shortly.

I have you training for St. George and doing Campeeche along the way. I do not have you doing two separate builds for races that are within six weeks of each other. France Camp will be addressed in the St George recovery period based on how you are doing post race.

Maybe the best way to move forward with all of the things that you have listed is to tak importance - if Campeche is more important than Saint George or France is more important than Canada I should know that. 

hint, your answer cant be that all things are important 😂

~ Coach P

• Coach, don't change a thing... I was just confused. I think I was worried I had not told you I was doing Campeche because I think I sent two lists of races I was doing.

I hope to have time to actually do the workouts this year.. wouldn't that be novel!

Sorry for being over reactive... my bad!

and if you want to load the plan into FS that would be awesome. .. cause you know I'll mess it up!

I would love to do well at St. George and training for that race should certainly give me power on the half in Campeche. I remember winning a half IM (Branson) on the way to training for Kona in 2010 and it served me well.

Thank you and Matt for putting up with me!

• Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Video: https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/p5b5zvfqda

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Campeche (2020-03-15) #70.3Campeche_20
    • Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20 
    • Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on October 30, 2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- Swim Camp  to end on  2/9/2020
    • On 2/10/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused to end on  5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  9/27/2020
    • On 9/28/2020  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/25/2020

Your Notes

Boulder, New Zealand, WC France and WC KonaI feel pretty good! chronic issues with my feet but that's nothing new!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• @Patricia Rosen Your Season Plan ^^^above is loaded in Final Surge. Go get 'em.

• yahoooooo!

Thanks, ya'all!

• @Patricia Rosen Your plan is all set in Final Surge to include Tulsa....onwards!!!!

• thank you! I hope it doesn’t get cancelled also!

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    www.toxicologyevaluation_austin.yourmd.com
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • @Patricia Rosen - So......Tulsa is also buh-bye. How do you want to proceed from here? I think on some level the safest bet may be creating or the following events for you are primarily in control. Be there longer bike ride or a run challenge. In other words, I don't think this is a good year to please undo confidence in the Racing aspect. It has served you well in the past but I don't think it will be in your favor this year.

• I haven’t gotten an email on details but I know it has been postponed…

you know, Im just trying to fill out my calendar with something to qualify for Kona.

I’ve got my spot for Nw Zealand in November…

how are they going to do Kona if all the races are cancelled?

I’m thinking about Estonia. I actually have a friend from Estonia who is a pro tennis player and she says I can stay at her place :)

anyway, I’m at work at present so I’ve got to go put my mask on and visit with the folks out there…

Ciao till later!

(I should have done Arizona!)

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • edited March 31, 2020 9:53PM

Hi Patrick. I'm not sure what to do without the info from Tulsa. My thought is to just eliminate the race for Tulsa. I've gained some weight back from not racing and training so much so for sure I want to stay busy. (I almost signed up for another ER shift to help out a PUI) anyway my road bike is looking good but I'm taking it in for the final fix for the France ride. I love hills and even if I don't get to go to France, cycling is a good idea to be socially distant. I do have a place to swim although it is not the best.. but I'm grateful for anything... no running races out there but of course keeping my racing chops up is a good idea. Texas hasn't been hit yet. Predictions are for a little after Easter.

I hope you and your family are well!

• @Patricia Rosen - by now you know that the race has been canceled or postponed. I can't remember which but I do know that it's not happening. I agree that we want to get you back on track with your training without getting too stressed out about the race Schedule being so up in the air. Crazy times.

With France still on the radar, I think it will be a good idea for you to focus on the bike and maintain some run durability. Would you be open to using the bike focus training program for six weeks to get strong and complement that with some Run frequency?

If you are, go ahead and put that training plan into your account is not in today and then let me know what you wanna do with the runs. I can either get creative for you or just review what you've set up. Let me know.

• ok. will do.

I think I’ll defer Tulsa to same race in 2021 as potential alternatives are too close to my race in Penticton or Worlds in New Zealand.

right now the link to do anything from email I just got isn’t working

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • ok, I think I did it.

trying to register for Tulsa in May of next year.

doesn’t look like I can race prior to WC this year in time to get a spot.

oh well, it is what it is…

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • @Patricia Rosen -- that's assuming of course that there is even a race this year! So many things are up in the air right now, I wouldn't feel too left out. How do you want to proceed with the lack of race is on the schedule? I know that Races define a large part of what you do, so I think we are going to have to be creative. Let me know what your suggestions are and we can go from there!

• I loaded bike focused training to end June 14th. I am doing Penticton for sure and Worlds in November in New Zealand.

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • @Patricia Rosen If you were any more self sufficient, you would be taking care of other folks around you too! 🤣 Bike Focus it is, let's get strong!

• how does one qualify for Kona this year? this virtual racing is not doing it for me!