Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Julia Herrmann’s Official Coach Thread

hi!!! Yes, been here seven years.  Still bumbling around a bit.  Submitted a new season survey last week and am wondering where to find the results.  
Used to get an email from coach Rich with a plan but I don’t think that’s the process anymore.  Starting this thread to see if this is where it’s supposed to land?  Sorry for being clueless!! 

Comments

• Options
    Hi there!  I must be doing something wrong.  I’m sorry!   My next year plan looks like so: 70.3 world championships in South Africa, Sept 1-2.   Would like to run Western Pacific Marathon 4/28 (A Boston qualifier- bucket list.) 

I just finished IMAZ at a PR of 12:05.   In the intermediate post IM transition plan now.  

Not trying to do anything fancy in South Africa , just be strong for me.  Been training on the minimalist intermediate plans for the past two HIMs and IMAZ due to work time constraints.  Would love to see what next season will look like with these two targets in mind!   Thanks for your time!! 
  • Options
    @Julia Herrmann - Yes we do things a little differently now, but that’s no excuse for me dropping the ball on this. I will go ahead and get to work on this tonight so we lay out the year for you. Congratulations on your personal best in Arizona!
  • Options

@Julia Herrmann

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I just finished IMAZ at a PR of 12:05.   In the intermediate post IM transition plan now.  

Not trying to do anything fancy in South Africa , just be strong for me.  Been training on the minimalist intermediate plans for the past two HIMs and IMAZ due to work time constraints.  Would love to see what next season will look like with these two targets in mind!   Thanks for your time!! 

Your Races

• 04/28/2018 Western Pacific Marathon 4/28 (A Boston qualifier- bucket list.)
    • 09/02/2018 70.3 world championships in South Africa, Sept 1-2.

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/14/2017
    • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
    • On 1/15/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/11/2018
    • !>> Transition Early <<
    • On 2/5/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/13/2018
    • On 5/14/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/24/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 9/2/2018
    • On 9/3/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/16/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/576t0njvos?embedType=iframe&amp;seo=false&amp;videoFoam=true&amp;videoWidth=400

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Aaaaaahh!!!  Batman!!  (Aka coach P) 
    My bumbling certainly got us into a little pickle.  My humblest apologies.  I just discovered this thread, which I called Julia Herrmann’S official coach thread.  I hadn’t seen this one yet because my questions were answered in another thread called Julia Herrmann official coach thread.  (No possessive apostrophe s after Herrmann).  I am 99.9999% sure it’s because I submitted a training plan request from the old system, then figured it out and posted as above, at the same time you figured it out for me and posted in the other thread, where we had a whole conversation about Boston qualifying time and how close I might be.  Sorry, sorry, sorry.   But there are slight differences in what’s laid out in the two plans.  Which one should I follow?  And whichever one we decide to follow let’s go ahead and delete the extraneous thread maybe too?  I’m a special kind of stupid (obviously) and two threads would be a bit much... Let me know what you think (Again I am so sorry to be such a headache. This is like the last thing you need to be dealing with.) 
  • Options
    Hmmmm digging in on this today!!
  • Options
    @Julia Herrmann - great catch..that's my worst fear with these things...so sorry. I'd like you to stick with the plan in this thread ('s) so you can do the Run Durability Program (RDP) into the Marathon plan as your goals for the run dictate!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Ok!!  Will do, thank you!!! 
  • Options
    Hi Coach P!  Marathon done today.  The mini report is over in my “burned out on BQ” thread, to update those that responded.  Thanks for your help!  Looking forward to recouperating and on to HIM worlds training!  
  • Options
    Congrats on getting it done. I hope you are well on your way to recovery by now. Any lingering issues I should know about?
  • Options
    Nope!  Final time 3:39.  BQ application cutoff is 3:45. Moving on to next phase.   Been missing the swim and Bike.  😊
  • Options
    YASSSSSSSS!!!!  That’s fantastic!!!!!

Remember that with Boston behind you, we don’t have to do a ton of running right away. In many ways, having a marathon early in your season is a good investment in your run and give you a band with to stay running healthy through frequency and not all of the volume. If something does start to show up as discomfort, back off immediately and let me know!
  • Options

Hey Coach P! Wanted to discuss next roadmap. 70.3 world championship is done! Back home in the US yesterday. The only official thing on the horizon is Boston marry next April if they accept my time.

I have some soul searching to do because 1) the 70.3 world championship is quite a thing- how do you ever top that? 2) I need to recover from the bike vs car incident that happened in the weeks before. Suffered a *major* concussion, some arm/shoulder issues that still plague me daily and my tri bike is done- shattered and un-rideable. It’s very important to avoid additional concussions for the next 3-6 months. I’m torn between being afraid of the world because of that and wanting to get back to just living life. I know I’ll go crazy with only indoor spinning/workouts on the bike but I’m still a bit intimidated by my old routes.

I think for the big picture I’d like to get my fitness back on all three disciplines and decide from there. If a phone chat or web call is needed for additional info we can totally do that too. Let me know what you think!!! Thank you!!

• Options

great to have you back! Given the stuff you want to talk about in the bigger picture focus, I think the best option is for us to do a phone call. Why don’t you go ahead and pick some time with me online and we can go through a lot of the stuff together: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Excited to think about next year!

• Options

Done! We chat next week. 😎. Thank you!!

• Options

Coach P.... where are you? Patiently waiting to chat. Looks like time zone is right... 🤔

• Options

Hi there! Thanks for the time last week. To summarize the plan going forward:

1) Run: shoot for 4-5x week. Long run pace around 9:30. Consistency is key, not distance

2) Bike: 2x a week. Gravel type rides. Have fun!

3) Swim: (?) fix the shoulder! Try to get an ART chiropractor. I can’t remember if I should be adding any swims in here.

Hope all is going well in Kona!

• Options

You can swim lightly, but focus more of good swimming than swimming with intensity. I was suggesting you do some underwater ROM work as well — could even be water jogging. Just get that thing moving!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey Coach P,

Wanted to check in with some next year plans and think about training advice. Two events are on the calendar so far:

1) Boston marathon

2) 120 mile gravel race in Iceland July 27th.

The running consistently is going pretty well. With the rain up here starting it is a little hard to do as much gravel on the bike as I would like.

It’s been almost two months of the more free flowing approach. I must say it is nice. The flexibility was key to my staying sane as I start my shiny new job on Monday!

I don’t necessarily need or want to start officially training for anything in this moment, but was curious to your thoughts on when I should and what it might look like. Thank you!!!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann - Thanks for the update. Very excited for the new job, hope today is a great first day for you. I agree, we don’t need to get into serious just yet. With the Boston marathon looming, we do want to have a good baseline level of running for December just to keep you in a good place. This will help set you up for the work that you will start doing in January February and March. It’s somewhere between intentional fitness and damage control for the holiday season. I don’t know if you ride indoors at all, but that might be a nice addition to the program especially as things get too gross to be outside (if that ever happens).

I see that the runs have been good, but we’ll want a bit more consistency. Several weeks with 5 days of running would be nice!

Interns of getting serious with the plan, it would be somewhere in mid January at the latest. I hope that helps to frame things out!

• Options

Ok cool, thank you! I’ll check in for directions in January. Had a few weeks there with only four days/week so I’ll focus on getting that up to five days consistently over the next four weeks. Can bike indoors at the gym if it’s icky. It happens more in NorCal than SoCal with the rain, etc. It was sure hectic finding, quitting, and starting on the job front! Hopefully it will calm down now and I can focus on consistency. 😎. Than you!!!

• Options

Hi Coach P! Merry Christmas! Happy new year!! Thought to check in on plans a little earlier than mid January since you said above that would be the latest to get started. Thought to load something up and get in the habit of having a schedule again. And I am tinkering with the idea of getting a stryd for this next block of training and going forward. Let me know what you think of both fronts! Thanks!!

• Options

A few more (useful?) notes: 1) for Boston in April I have no specific time goal. I am done being fixated on time as the qualifier is behind me. I’d like to be solid and strong and have a good race. (Fun?) 2) Then my eye is on a 120 mile gravel race in Iceland in July (The Rift). There are monthly (ish) gravel rides around here starting in January with increasing distance. I’m having a good time with all the running and riding on gravel/dirt. Thanks again!!

• Options

Julia, sorry I am really enjoying my holiday right now! LOL. I would like you to load up the run durability plan for now.

I think fun is a good car, we just need to decide if you want to participate in the out season or not. Let me know if that does require a bit of mental focus that you might not want right now.

Well you don’t have to train hard, we do want that daily consistent aerobic does. Runs are the easiest things to do, but I would worry about the pace right now. Maybe focus more and heart rate and staying steady for the first few weeks, have these through the end of January.

Let me know what you’re thinking in terms of how to season or not, and I can recommend that next plan for you.

• Options

Omg I hear you. I have to do some studying today for the new job (on New Year’s Eve!) and I’d really rather stick a fork in my eye. Or rather, be outside in the sunshine.

I can load up run durability for now to keep me occupied/steady in January. I’m thinking likely no on the out season (first year in like seven with no outseason - 🙀). Looking back on December, I think I did pretty good. Like having the bike in there too. The flexibility has been really nice.

As work picks back up it will be good to see how that impacts my run consistency. But I’m optimistic. 😼 Thanks for your thoughts and have a great new year!!!

• Options

Sounds perfect. Don’t get too down on yourself about breaking that training streak, it’s all about doing the most with what you have right now. If you can focus on that, your year will still be great, I promise!

• Options

Yes, this FB post totally freaked me out. 😁 I chose the run durability block two since it was what I was kind of doing already and wanted two days for the bike. Now I’m paranoid I should have chosen in block three...? (but the bike...?)

I was also feeling lost because I couldn’t even see a Boston Marathon training plan on final surge. NY, yes. Marine something yes. All 24wks.

I do just happen to have a shiny new Stryd tho.

Sorry for being so silly. If you could make me feel better by just letting me know that I can prep for Boston in 10-12 weeks I’ll shut up. I still don’t care about PR-ing or being super speedy. It’s just that 26.2 is not nothing.... thx!!!

• Options

I am on this today. You are ok!!!!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann - Hey, no worries... 12 weeks to Boston is 1/28 (next monday) so we are on track. You can load the Balanced Marathon plan to end on 4/14 and we'll adjust to the race itself (there is no Boston specific plan).

The key is getting that long run up...what has your weekly long run been, and how are you feeling?

~ Coach P

• Options

Ok gotcha. Sounds good. I’ll load that up next week then. Weekly long run has only been just over 8 miles in 1:10. But it feels good. No problems with recovery or morale. How should I get up to speed for the 2:00 that’s prescribed staring in week 12ish per the balanced plan?

Thanks so much!!! 😃