Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Julia Herrmann’s Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Julia Herrmann The best way to get up to speed is to split those runs.

So 1 hour AM, 1 hour PM...And next day off!!!

You can do that for the fIrst 3-ish weeks and you should be good!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Coach!

(Raises hand). Been splitting the runs as prescribed and was happy to complete today’s 12 mile long run in one run and not two. But... next weeks long run is 18 miles and the week after is 16. Should I split the 18 miles into two runs of 14 and 4...? Then the week after 16 miler should not need splitting. But going from 12 to 18 seems like a pretty big jump... Thank you for your thoughts!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann - GREAT question. I say you do this to continue onwards.

• 12 mi / 6 mi
    • 16 mi

I think you will need to split the 18 (duh!) but that you can make the leap to the 16...deal?

~ Coach P

• Options

Totally!!! Thanks so much. Just in time for the run tomorrow.

• Options

Hi coach!

Boston is DONE. I am wondering which plan to put up next for the 120 mile gravel ride in Iceland in July. I really like keeping the running consistency in my plan, but most of the bike plans have 5 days of biking and two days off. Is there any version where I can ride 3 days and run the other 4? Let me know what you think! Thanks so much and I hope you had a great time in Spain!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann congratulations to you and your incredible race. Very few at least you’re able to qualify again at the event, and only a select few will understand what you accomplish. I hope you are pumped. As of right now we don’t have in “balanced“ plan for the longer rides, but I can certainly create one over the weekend. Right now continue with your recovery and stay tuned for an update from me shortly.

• Options

thank you, thank you Coach P! I will stand by. I am very happy about Boston. Such a great experience!

I don't have any time goals for the gravel ride. I just want to do it and be adequately prepared. Given my work schedule I should be able to ride long twice (ideally both days on the weekend), and once during the week consistently. I may be able to ride more if needed in certain weeks, I'm just not 100% sure. After all, I can pretty much run anywhere and the run fitness is so helpful!

Tim Sullivan was working on me for this whole zwift thing. #slowadopter #outsideoutsideoutside

Last note: my gravel bike does not have power on it, but my road bike does. I am just kind of a sloppy mess. I will most often be on the gravel bike exploring the fire roads/trails etc on the weekend...

• Options

Sounds good, it’s on my list to do. And anytime you don’t have power, I am still OK with you doing heart rate. It’s a great equivalent.

• Options

Hey Coach P! Gravel race is allll done. Wanted to get a bit of direction for next year. Doing Belgian Waffle Ride in early May and then this Rift race in Iceland again end of July. Have realized the importance of bike training and will start perusing the forums re: Zwift setups. Still very much enjoy keeping some running base but if I get dialed in with Zwift that will help in many ways. Thoughts on a season plan for next year with these events in mind? Let me know if a call is faster. Thank you!!!

• Options

Look at you getting to go back again! Part of me wonders if there was a conspiracy there are you damage your husband’s bike. 😂

I like the idea of run durability through the fall to keep the baseline level of fitness and give you a body a break from extensive cycling. We would turn to a more traditional old season build up probably in January so that you would be done by mid April and we can capitalize on that work with some longer sessions.

So for the fall I would look for a half marathon or some fun Races you can do to keep you focused and have a good time. If there is the odd outdoor ride that seems interesting or fun you can go for it. But the real work starts in January moving forward.

Can you remind me just how much outdoor cycling availability you would have in the spring? Some people love to get outdoors and others will be locked inside.

• Options

I KNOW right? If you would have asked me during the race I would have said I’m never getting on a gravel bike again. But once done, I said yes of course Thad must finish too. I want my own revenge, methinks.

All sounds good on the planning. I am definitely an outdoor lover. San Francisco is pretty hit or miss on the weather. We’ve had winter/spring that has been blue skies for days (just “cold”) and we’ve had it rain like every day until May 1st. But if I can get outside that is totally my preference.

I have started poking around the Zwift concept more seriously, since winters aside, some days the fog is so thick that even though it’s not raining, riding outside is a daunting proposition.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!! 😎😎

• Options

If you haven’t done it already, zwift To be a greatice option to have things aren’t messing up to go outside for seven to do all the juggling. I find the events and races to be both social and challenging which is really all you can ask for. Yes there is a technology curve, but the team is here to help you out.

It will be a nice counterpart to the run durability programs low level grade consistency to have the option for some challenging cycling on Zwift through shorter races.

• Options

Hi Coach P!

Hope you had a great holiday and are looking forward to a happy new year!!

Checking in since a lot (or little) has happened in the past 4 months. Went to my ortho for a nagging tightness in my hammie and to see what was up with that killer knee pain from the Iceland gravel race in July. Got sidelined as the tightness was really tendonosis of the hammie and the knee pain was a meniscal tear that appeared to be healing itself. So I had PRP done for the hammie and we left the knee alone. Also got some PRP injections in my hip because apparently my ligamentum teres was torn almost clear through.

So.... I've just now started to run 10 minute runs, and although I have been on the stationary bike regularly, I have only recently started to ride outside - mainly flat stuff. The original plan was that I was going to be released for training in January, but due to my work schedule and my ortho availability I don't get to see him until early February. Last time I saw him was early December and I seemed to be starting to heal, but it was too soon to say 100% healed. My plan is to start to ease back into training in January per the original plan while keeping a close eye on my body so that things don't go arwy.

I was not thinking to be so detrained at this point, but here we are. I have Belgian Waffle Ride in May and the Iceland gravel race again in July. The Rift/Iceland race is my "A" race. There is a series of gravel races/rides up here that I would love to do as training type rides since I am newer to gravel. (rides are between 40-80 miles). Those start in late January/February.

Keeping all these recent developments in mind, where do you think I should start? Thanks so much for all your help!!

• Options

Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for giving me the full update. I always like to defer to the professional advice of people like your orthopedic, especially someone who knows you. That said, I think as long as we stay inside a certain set of parameters you should be fine. The key is finding a place for you to stay healthy and active without doing damage.

Ideally we can get you into a basic level of activity for January that you can then carry into February and do some of these other events with the blessing of your surgeon. Right now my goal will be to have you riding 3 to 4 times a week. I don’t feel the urge to have you do any specific running, instead I would encourage you to get out and do some hiking or at least one long weekend session on your feet that is not running. We can start dabbling in running once you have some good baseline fitness in place.

I would recommend having you riding three times a week in the 45 minute to 60 minute range, and one longer aerobic ride on the weekends. If there’s going to be any intensity it should happen during the week at this point so that it is short and focused. This could be Monday, Wednesday, Friday… Or it could be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with the rest the days on either side. Let me know what you prefer.

• Options

Hi Coach P!

Hope you had a great new year and are enjoying everyone's New Year's motivation for training. 😊 Thanks so much for your thoughts. I completely agree that January should likely be base building to be more ready to start "real stuff" in February. Looking back at my rides so far, I have been able to ride about 3x week for about an hour (inside and outside) and haven't been having any issues with that, so targeting 3-4 times/week should be doable no problem.

Two (and a half) quick questions:

Picking a schedule may vary by the week due to travel and meetings I have - is that ok? Also, what parameters should I keep in mind if it doesn't work out to do a neat MWF or TWTh? For example, if I could do a T-Th-Fr, I am thinking I would make the longer weekend ride on Sunday not Saturday. The idea being whatever permutation ends up occurring that there is adequate rest before/after the longer ride on the weekend.

And - before I read this I had just loaded up the Cycling OS for some guidance on building intensity during the weekdays (not following the prescribed weekend rides as much). Can I leave that on for January and we revisit what to load up in February? Or should I consider something else for the intensity guidance for January?

Thank you again so much for your help!!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann - just catching up here and saw your note...just in time to talk Feb Transitions! 🤣

I like where you are at from a consistency standpoint...and I think with early May on the schedule, we still need to be cautious with your build in Feb. I think you can be very successful on a schedule that has:

• 2 interval rides during the week
    • A longer, easier weekend ride (zwift or outside if nice enough)
    • A tempo ride, call it 2h with 75 to 90 mins of Zone 3 work.

Those are ranked ^above^  so tempo is first to go. Ideally a day between interval WKOs; the rest can flex. So could be:

• Tue INT
    • Thu INT
    • Fr TEMPO
    • Sun LONG

Or:

• Tue INT
    • Thu INT
    • Fri LONG
    • Sun TEMPO

Everything else around these rides is gravy. We want consistency and I hope you can contine doing some core and getting a few short runs in as your hammy allows.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

Makes sense to me! Sounds great. I’ll check in early March to let you know how things are going and for further instructions.

Thank you!!! 😀

• Options

Stay strong! 💪

• Options

Soooooooo, looks like I may be adding another B race for the year. Mammoth tuff gravel race September 19th. 100 miles, ~8000 ft of climbing. At ~8000 ft elevation. 😳😵

Whut am I doing. Yay Adventures for the couple! This was Thad’s idea and I’m a special kind of stupid. We can chat more in depth later but thought I should at least let you know.

• Options

Hi Coach P!

It's March. Checking in for further instructions. February went pretty well I would say. My interval work during the week varied from indoor to outdoor work. Got ride(s) done on the weekends. Placed first in my AG yesterday at a "pave" gravel ride! Things are feeling good with my hamstring and hip.

Let me know how you think I should be structuring the weeks going forward, or which plan I should consider loading up to get ready for BWR (B race) in May and the Rift in July (A race) Thank you!!

• Options

Hi hi... Giving this a nudge since I seemed to have missed you on last week's round of "official coach" answers. Thank you! 😎

• Options

@Julia Herrmann sorry I missed you on the first round, every once in a while I somehow managed to skip somebody awesome like yourself. This is a bad idea, because clearly I need to keep an eye on you to stop you from signing up for all these races! 🤣

Before I go nuts planning out your year, do you know what the status of the waffle ride is? I know that much of the country is on travel restrictions so I just wanted to know.

• Options

Lol!!! As of this afternoon BWR is November 7 or 8, so that’s about six weeks after the Mammoth ride (mid September) and the Mammoth ride is about six weeks after the Rift ride. (Gulp...).

enjoyed the seminar this morning!!!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann -- I couldn't think of a more epic season for an epic athlete! How funny is that. If anyone is up to the challenge, it is you. I hope you're staying healthy and keeping a low profile…

• Options

Hi Coach P,

Yep, low profile and pretty healthy! So, question... The Rift gravel race in Iceland will be July 25 if the world opens up again. They will make a go/no go by end of May. I figure to think positively and prepare accordingly as if it were a go until I hear otherwise. Finishing out the OS-ish pattern next week. This week is 16 weeks out from the race. What pattern of plan do you recommend following at this point? Thanks!!!

• Options

@Julia Herrmann yes, you should prepare as though the race is happening. That will get us through the end of May and will have you poised to do the event should open. According to our season roadmap (Phase 2 here), You will move from OS to Recovery to Specificity and Race Prep. I would recommend:

• Finishing OS
    • Recovering for a Week (unstructured, chill, stretch, self care)...you can get a long ride in that weekend if you do quality rest on M-F.
    • That leaves 14 weeks.
    • I would go 4 weeks of Bike Focus plan, then last 10 weeks of the MTB Ultra Distance Plan...

Coincidentally, the last 10 weeks with affectively be the end of May which would give you some clarity. Should the race not happen you could then continue with the bike focus plan as You would have that loaded already. This could point you towards your own DIY event later in the summer. How does that sound?

• Options

Ok that sounds good! Thank you! 😎

• Options

Sooooooo Rift in Iceland postponed to 2021. Saaaaaad but not surprised. Next event on the calendar is mammoth tuff gravel ride in mid-September. (100 miles, 8000ft climbing starting at around 8000ft elevation). I’ll keep on the bike focus plan which will take me to the end of May Then recoup a week and load up MTB ultra plan again...?

I do not know what to do about this at 8000 ft above sea level. I am going to try to get to the mountains of NM in August and do some riding at 8000 ft elevation there, but life at work is likely to be nuts. Eep...?

• Options

@Julia Herrmann Bummer but I get it...I can see you are getting some epic training in on your own, so there's that! Nothing too epic here in RI I gotta admit.

The progression is fine; be sure to have fun on that "off week" with active but different stuff. Long hike maybe? Yoga fun?

Given how much you have already trained this year, you don't have to follow the plan exactly session by session. You have such good volume in your system that you could certainly deviate a little bit should the weather or conditions change and allow you to do some more weekend focused/epic cycling. In other words, I think the change in the race schedule should allow you to be a little more flexible.

That could look like something like this:

• Bike Focus during the week, then weekends bigger volume SAT, Sunday OFF or Train.
    • Bike Focus overall...but on "good days" for work / weather you go out and ride baby ride and then we readjust.
    • Bike Focus to close out May...than a Bike Volume Week (low on intensity, big on time) before we rest and pivot.

I want to keep you engaged with your training as we move forward...do you have thoughts?

~ Coach P