Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Vasa Ergometer Guide Contributions Requested...

Now that more than 25 EN folks have a vasa (Go Team!) it's time to talk about how to best use / integral your training with your new favorite tool. 

I have outlined an EN Vasa Google Document, and have added a bunch of information into a few sections. I am looking for a few folks to help build this out. 

Process is: 
  • Step 1 - Table of Contents Finalized (by 12/31)
  • Step 2 - Divide and Conquer Sections (Round 1) (by 1/15)
  • Step 3 - Group Edits All New Stuff, Determines Gaps (by 1/31)
  • Step 4 - Fill the Gaps (by 2/15)
  • Step 5 - Release Version 1 to the Team (by 3/1)

If you are interested, please reply below and we can get to work. I'll have to come up with some kind of suitable reward. Looking forward to it!

~ Coach P

Ps just want the Get Started Stuff? You can read that section here.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I am new with Vasa and only doing 1-2x per week, but happy to help!
  • Options
    I’m in. 
  • Options
    I could help, but I am a newbie!
  • Options
    Vasa newbie here too, but love what your building and happy to help!
  • Options
    @Dave Gardner @Peter Noyes @Scott Giljum @Scott Dinhofer @Jenn Edwards @Ian Kurth  - Ok, looking for some momentum here...asking folks to contribute by section vs the whole damn thing at once. 

Step One = Overview & Best Practices Sections

Just looking for you to spend 10 to 15 minutes max adding content here. You don't have to write out or format the whole thing, just want to make sure I have your recommendation in. I can probably add some color, etc. 

Document is here.

Hoping you can hit this by Monday 1/29...how does that sound? 

Thank you....

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey P!

GREAT idea!  Thanks for the faith in moi... however.... erg..... as you know I'm doing a different thingy with my swim at the moment.  And more relevant: I and never really got to a point where I could consider myself using the VASA as a true, consistent supplement to training. Sadly my contributions would be limited to: 1 - How to hook it up to a Garmin and 2 - Basic supplemental short sets like ladders, etc.  Sorry I'm not much more help!   

Signed, Smells Like Chlorine in Seattle - Jenn
  • Options
    I will help as much as I can.  Making my homework due over the weekend is going to get in the way of my Zwifting though.
  • Options
    OK, jokes aside, I did make a few modifications.  Hopefully I will be able to get back in to the document later this weekend and add more.
  • Options
    Hey @Coach Patrick et al... happy to help with this. I am out of town currently, but can add some comments when I return mid week. 

Thakks for organizing this initiative. 
  • Options
    @Scott Giljum Thanks man...and @Ian Kurth You got it. Let me know when you hit it, and I'll follow up!
  • Options
    I added a few things @Coach Patrick

What if there were some videos of people using it? That might help show what good cadence and form look like.

I would also be interested in seeing what some good Vasa workouts look like. For instance, I found this workout online where you do 1' intervals where 30" are easy, 20" hard, and a 10" sprint finish. It works really well. You can do those as many times as you want (I started at like 10). I like that there is no downtime, just active recovery.
  • Options
    I'm now following this thread and will help however I can. I'm no expert on using the Vasa ERG but certainly think it's a beneficial strength training tool for swimming. It's not however a panacea to becoming a "better" swimmer.....maybe stronger....but not better (just my opinion).  

From a personal standpoint, I know that I need to continue to use the pool to work on front quadrant skills and well as body rotation and breathing skills. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm an adult onset swimmer (started at 47) and never really learned proper technique until a couple of years ago. 

I would also like to see some sample training plans for various distance race events. I was initially involved with a TrainerRoad group that was dedicated to Vasa ERG owners and completed a couple of test workouts. This may be something to consider as it never really grew any legs and with all things "power" these days, I think there is an opportunity to maximize on the time/effort spent while on the ERG.  So...power based training plans? Just a thought...

Also, I would comment that the forearm cuffs certainly create a more realistic swim feeling than the paddles. Sometimes I feel like I use the wrong muscles with the paddles and it's easier to drop the elbow than with the cuffs. 

I'll keep my thinking cap on about this topic.....

• Options
    @Coach Patrick - I made some additions to the first section as requested.  Take a look and see if you need anything else.  I'll follow your lead for the other sections.

In general, this will be a great wiki/article if we can just concisely integrate all of the info, contributions and resources already contributed in the Vasa thread:  

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22313/vasa-erg-as-a-swim-supplement-calling-all-users#latest
  • Options
    Thanks ALL..this is on my agenda for the weekend...stay tuned. 

@Todd Bray The question becomes how to get you those workouts vs just having them live somewhere in a PDF...i might have a solution, but we'll see.