Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Katherine Chabot-Boucher Official Coach Thread

edited January 30, 2018 6:18PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
@Katherine Chabot-Boucher

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have been a runner since I was 11 and have been running and racing anything from a 5k to a marathon ever since. I have incorporated triathlons over the last 3 years and have raced many sprint, and olympic distance events and have done 2/3 of a HIM. I have podium in all the triathlons I have done and all running races I have done.  I am a fast runner, a medium to fast biker and a middle of the pack swimmer.  I am currently swimming about 8000 yards a week, biking about 6 hours a week and running about 30 miles a week so I am confident in saying I have a good base.   I am not afraid to work hard and would be willing to take on the challenge of an advanced program. I would like to have a running heavy based program until about April as I have a group of friends that are training for the Boston  Marathon so I would like to long run with them on Saturdays if at all possible. 

Your Races

• 06/16/2018 Patriot Half Ironman 
  • 8/18/2018 Ironman Mont Tremblant

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on December 31, 2017
  • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 06/17/2018
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 8/19/2018
  • On 8/20/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/16/2018
  • On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/14/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/ong6wlxkbs?embedType=iframe&amp;seo=false&amp;videoWidth=400

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

We want to talk about RACE EXECUTION and how we can help you get faster by being smarter on race day. There are no medals for great swims or getting to the top of a hill first — on race day only your finish time counts. There are many ways of being faster, and here are some of the resources we have to help you out.

- The Four Keys of Race Execution Video: The Coaches walk you through the macro level elements of a successful race.

- Distance Specific Guidance: Learn the fundamentals of racing Short Course and Long Course events, from each discipline to pacing zones, etc.

- Race Specific Pages: We have aggregated information on specific races from the internet, race reports and even our own coaching resources. You can find your race Master Racing Page section.  

- The Race Forums:  You can search for race reports or connect with your teammates. There are sections for 70.3, 140.6, and Marathons.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Hi Coach P 
    Do the order of the prescribed workouts matter? As I know that I will have to switch workouts around due to my local pool lap swim availability. 
    Thank you for your help. 
  • Options
    That is a great question! Technically no. As long as there is 24 hours between the harder sessions, you should be fine.

If it is the consistently different schedule then I’d appreciate you outlining it here in a couple bullet points and I can give you my feedback.

Hope the new year is treating you well!
  • Options

Great to talk today!!! Thanks for sharing your story...excited to work with you this year. Here are my thoughts...
    • Since you are already a solid athlete, we don't need to make you fitter...we need to (1) get you ready to handle the training and (2) prepared for the nutritional challenges of the day.
    • You have plenty of time between now and IMMT, so consistency is the key.
    • You have a good deal of flexibility between now and May 1, so please do have fun with your training partners and their runs, etc. 
    • You technically don't HAVE TO swim very much between now and say April. I say that in a "if you wake up tired or need a day off" that's the best workout to drop right now. 
    Your Homework

Please get me some info on the stuff that you do eat right now when training / racing. 

If you have a strava account, can you "make it nice" for me and post the link to it here please? http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Strava+Central 

I know you are on Trainer Road...have you given any thought to Zwift? Given you love to ride, you might find it fun. I am kind of addicted myself, but it's a lot less structured that the TR interface. We do Team rides on it on the weekends, etc. You can check them out online https://zwift.com ... If you do dial it in, then you can learn more about how we connect on Zwift here: Getting Started on Zwift

Our next call should be middle of February...you can schedule it here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Have a great weekend!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    For our middle of February chat again I will need a 4:30 time slot. What ever day you choose will work. Take care
    Thanks 
    Katherine
  • Options
    @Katherine Chabot-Boucher - done... 2/15 at 4:30. Please call me:  (617) 513-3830

Hope thins are going well!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory,  3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

Great to talk today...thanks again for your patience!!! Some good topics today for us and for the near-term future. 

• Every other week taking one day off...excellent.
    • Using TrainerRoad...close but we can be better...please confirm you can get in an access the trainer road workouts "2018 OS" or "2018 OutSeason" and then you can choose the week and day as needed. 

Your Homework

Let's keep it rolling!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    My husband set the TrainerRoad account a long time ago so it is under his name which is Randy@rocketmail.com I have sent a request to be accepted on this account through TR and am waiting for you to accept on your end.  I got a footpod for treadmill runs and tried it today but the first go seems a bit inaccurate I will try it through the end of this week and may just end up sending it back and manually entering runs. I will get you my garmin connect info soon my husband is out of town and of course he set up the account.  Thank you 
  • Options
    Sounds good! My staff except the new Trainer Road registrations every week so please standby for that. Looking forward to getting 100% synchronized!
  • Options

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options
    Hi Patrick 
    I hope your training camp was spectacular :) You had advised me to set up a time to call you through your calendar but I am that girl who can not talk until later afternoon or early evening. 4:30-6ish depending on the day....ugh. So if we need to talk just text me and I can be available during these times. Thanks
    I have attached my training map for you as a reference:
    Questions:
    1. After swim camp I am advised to load the Advanced EN Half the only EN Half Advanced I am seeing is the 2017 plan. Is the this the plan I should load? 
    2. The map also tell me to load the the Advanced EN Half to end on 6/17/18 however the very next line states I should load Advanced EN full on 5/28/18? What shall be done here?
    3. There is no 2018 Full Advanced plan either? Should I load the 2017 Full advanced as well?

• Options
    @Susan Kelly sorry for the confusion. The 2018 plans have the different ability levels already baked in. So you would load the 2018 half and do the L2 workouts for example. 

The start dates are a “layering” of plans. So you’ll start with a few weeks of the Half plan before transitioning to the Full plan. I hope that makes sense. 

I am getting on on a plane now, home late Tuesday night. We can try for Friday afternoon or early next week. 
  • Options
    Patrick: It looks like I got mixed up in someone else's thread. I'm driving today to TX for that IM. This info is directed to Katherine. Susan Kelly
  • Options
    You are correct Susan :) it is directed toward me.  Thank you Patrick but could you help me understand what HIM plan to load? There are 3 in 2018 Run Focused Bike Focused and Minimilast. My plan says load the  Advanced HIM plan and I understand there are different levels baked in and I could assume level 3 would be advanced but which focus?
    Thank you for your attention to this matter
    Katherine 
    @Susan Kelly  good luck :)   
  • Options
    Hi @Coach Patrick
    I loaded 2018 BF HIM plan and I noticed that Week 13  Thursday run 2 the red ! says 45 minutes while the level 3 lists 75 minutes which is correct?  Thanks Katherine
  • Options
    @Katherine Chabot-Boucher -  sorry for the name mixup with the auto complete here in the forums!

I like you in the bike focus plan, that’s perfect. I have already fixed that run, but it should be 75 minutes. My apologies about the stick. As a split run you’re doing 75 and 75. Please let me know how things are going! 
  • Options
    Note: these emails for Katherine are still coming to me, Susan Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    @Susan Kelly Under your form preferences, you likely have a check next to the “keep me updated on conversations I have participated in” section. You can go to the profile here on the forums and uncheck that box. Emails for conversations like this one. Sorry for that!
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    Training seems to be going well  except the pool schedule does not align with my life....Ugh..doesn't the world revolve around my training schedule rather than the sun? Before swim camp I was swimming my long swim on Sunday before my bike ride. Is it ok if I continue to swim before my Sunday bike? I did notice that later in my schedule I have to run off the bike on Sunday would it be ok to swim before my bike and reduce the run to 30-45 minutes off the bike? As  the pool is only available for 45 minutes in the afternoon for lap swim and I am very concerned about not getting in a 3500 endurance swim. Thanks 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    I should add that I do not swim on Monday if I swim on Sunday. I switch Monday with Wednesdays run and Swim on Wednesday afternoon instead and eliminate Fridays swim. Is this okay? 
  • Options
    @Katherine Chabot-Boucher - I am 100% OK with you swimming before the bike/shortened run on Sundays. In many ways, that’s kind of a great three sport work out that will set you up for success. In fact, it may help you do a better job of managing your nutrition across the entire race. Let’s not miss that opportunity.

Your adjustments to swimming are 100% fine! Onwards!!
  • Options
    Hi Patrick 
    As open water swims are very close how do your prescribed swim workouts carry over into the open water? Should I still keep my pool membership thorough the summer and continue to swim in the pool 1or 2 times a week? What is your take on open water versus pool training?
    Thanks 
    Katherine
  • Options
    I personally love the open water and would swim there as much as I can OK. If you got that option then I would cancel the pool & pinky swear that you’re going to get OWS done. 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick 
    Quick question I move to my full ironman plan on the 28th of May do I continue on with bike focus level 3 or run focus level 3? My season plan says to load the full ironman advanced plan there is no such plan in the 2018 plans. Thanks for your help. 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    I just wanted to add to the above comment because I forgot to...when considering what plan I should be on BF or RF just saving you the trouble of looking it up I have done the following:
    OS RF 
    HIM Level 3 BF 
    The FIM is where I need help with the focus. 

Also today was the first day I had to split up My Sunday long bike into 2 sections and I am feeling so guilty but I am a mom first I have to remember that! I know once and a while it is ok to split the workouts up and it is mostly important right now to have my heart rate up for so many minutes but it is hard on your mind when a person has been so dedicated and compliant. In some respects this split workout is mentally a little more challenging. 

Thanks for all of your help and time I appreciate it :smile:
  • Options
     Thank you so much for the note and for the background. I really appreciate it when you take the time to give me those kind of specifics. You rock!. 

I would like to see you on the bike focus program for the full plan. That doesn’t mean that we’re giving up the run by any means, but it does give us an additional bike during the week where we have the chance to gain fitness assuming everything goes according to plan.

I add that last little bit to my note because I respect the reality of the situation you are working with. I’m so glad you mentioned your scheduling challenges because they are real. Neglecting them isn’t something you can just pick back up again when the time is right – Now is always the most important time. :-)

If you find a consistent pattern in weekly challenges related to your schedule please let me know. We can always adjust as need be. But remember your quads don’t know the difference between one workout into. They just know that you did ask amount of work in a single day. It’s your brain that’s the problem! :-)

Standing by for your next update… 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick,
    As there are no actual rest days scheduled into my plan yet how often do you recommend an actual complete rest day? At this point when I take a rest day I feel guilty but at the same time I realize that rest is just as important as the training. Thanks for your continued support 
  • Options
    @Katherine Chabot-Boucher - Yes, we rarely schedule rest days, but I do encourage them.

I personally recommend one of two options.

You can make every Monday and absolute day off. For me this is great to restart after a tough weekend and to make sure you get off on the right foot professionally.

The other option is to make your Friday and “swing” today. And this event we have a normal week and depending on how you feel you can opt to take the Friday off and rest.

Yes, we rarely schedule rest days, but I do encourage them.

I personally recommend one of two options.

You can make every Monday and absolute day off. For me this is great to restart after a tough weekend and to make sure you get off on the right foot professionally.

The other option is to make your Friday in “swing“ today. And this event we have a normal week and depending on how you feel you can opt to take the Friday off and rest. Which ever way you go, these rest days are super important so please include them. The rest days are where we get stronger!!
  • Options
    Thank you at this point I have not had a day completely off in months and feel guilty about doing it. However, I have a HIM Saturday so Friday and Sunday are recommended as off. 

I have a another predicament of sorts:
    The weekend of June 22 I have been asked to go to Lake Placid and train with a group of women. These women grew up in the area and we would be lodging at their parents home they are all training for IMLP. Here is the predicament: Saturday= Swim 2.4 mile swim in mirror lake we are all about the same swim speed but biking the course all 112 miles these women are considerably slower then I am; I may get frustrated, annoyed or anxious.  Sunday they plan on running 17 miles of the run course.  I would be running alone as they are far to slow for me to be comfortable (certain slow speeds my knees hate me). 

So the question do I stay home and train with my husband who keeps me in-line and is my comfortable speed in all domains. 
    Or do I go to Lake Placid and and get a lot of work done but go considerably slower? 

My A race is IMMT in August