Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Katherine Chabot-Boucher Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    I understand the predicament. Take it from someone who is had days off forced upon him and by injury in the past. It’s always amazing how much stronger I come back after resting, even if I never wanted to do! :-)

That weekend sounds like it will be more trouble than it’s worth. Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeve’s is having someone faster than me hang around and wait for me all day. I think it will be a lose lose for both parties. Unless the social aspect is that important to you, I recommend you stay at home with Hubby. 👍 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick
    Just wanted to check in after my first HIM experience on Saturday June 16. I followed the prescribed plan up until Thursday where upon I cut the long run down by 15 minutes and I took Friday completely off from training. I was so nervous going in to this HIM because it could go 2 ways the race could be complete misery and I could mentally be shut down to continue on to do IMMT or I could be great and be super excited to continue forward. I am happy to report I was great the entire day I looked at the day as an opportunity to train with friends and suck in the enthusiasm of tri'ing.  I PR'd on the swim but did not feel like I was pushing to hard. I did everything that was mentioned on the race day execution plan I knew it was going to be hot on the run so I front loaded the fuel and got in all the calories I needed which was 2 bottles of Infinite Nutrition concentrated mixed with a BCAAs and a half bottle of non concentrated bottle of Infinite and some cashews. I stuck to my power numbers some people passed me and for once I actually did not care. I did notice on the second loop that those people who passed me were starting to struggle as I felt great. I did stop to pick up dropped bottles and I stopped to alert a cop of a downed biker who was crying out in pain. Transitioning to run from the bike I stopped and used the porta john and was off on my journey a bit nervous thinking am I going to die and when will the suck line happen. I heard your voice from Ironman Boulder about how important it is to get your body temperature down on a hot day so I put ice in my sports bra right away and added to it as needed and know what? It worked. I was never hot and never felt over taxed. I actually remembered reading some place that the suck line may come around mile 8 so I kept on telling myself be prepared what will your mantra be? I got to mile 12 saying this and wondered what I did to feel so great the entire run? Fueling at every aid station I took a shot of EFS vanilla and a little water and was prepared to try coke if needed for energy but never had to. I finished with a smile and a second place podium result. 5:06:43  broken down to 36:53 swim 2:45:48 bike 1:37:32 run  with a total transition(including swim and bike) time of 6:31 long run from the swim and I took my time preparing for the run sweat band and porta john 

My scheduled week had a rest day scheduled in for Sunday which was perfect and today Monday is recommended post race just a swim. I will swim tonight and hope to get in some long yardages and be back at the schedule tomorrow as I feel great and fresh. I know my numbers may be a little off for a few more days but I am refreshed recharged and ready for the last 8/9 weeks. 
    Thanks onward and upward I go :) 
  • Options
    @Katherine Chabot-Boucher -  I insist that next time you get second-place on the podium that you type that in ALL CAPS at the beginning of your race report to me And not at the end!  ;)

What you just described is what I call perfect execution. You build tons of fitness and brought everything needed to the race. Can you executed according to the parameters of your day and set of trying to force numbers to happen. By being smart and pacing yourself internally you almost cracked the five hour mark and by your own admission for operating well within your limits. That is fantastic. Your approach and discipline will serve you well as the season continues.

I hope you enjoyed your down week, You absolutely earned it!

PS, do you have a picture or something from the race are you on the podium please share it with Mariah using the red chat button at the bottom of the members website.
  • Options
    Hi @Coach Patrick
    My swim schedule is not coinciding exactly with the scheduled swims on my plan should I worry? Sunday usually I get up and bike 2 hours and then swim for 4300-4400 yards(as I have a swim group) then I will finish out my ride in the afternoon ( definiely splitting the Sunday most Sundays now). I will have already hit 12,000 yards  swimming by tomorrow but my schedule calls for a 90 minute swim on Friday with a red! I am primarily OWS now and like to have company as much as possible so I just tag along when a group is going is this ok or should I follow your protocol more closely? 
    Also I worked so hard all winter improving my technique on my swim as this is a huge problem for me and my times dropped for 100 yd pace in the pool but it is not transferring over to OWS. I get so mad at myself when I look at my watch/pace when I am done OWS. Swimming can be so frustrating !! I just have it un my head now oh well at least I am swimming the yards.
    Thanks for your time
    Katherine
  • Options
    KCB - You swim when works for you. Safety and company first! One of the biggest issues transferring to open water is A slower cadence. Many times the athletes a slow their stroke down to make room for Comfort in the wetsuit and time for sighting. See if you can pick up the Cadence just a little bit. My guess is that will make all the difference.

One of the easiest ways to do that is to tell if your fingers down as you extend an forward to slightly speed up the catch
  • Options
    Hi @Coach Patrick

With IMMT being almost 3 weeks away I have a couple of questions....
    should I change my standard cassette on my bike? I noticed in a  thread that people were asking about changing. I am not sure or familiar with a cassette size but am having a tune up soon and if you recommend a change due to the elevation I can have my LBS put one on. Also how do you suggest I carry a spare on my bike? This is terrible but my husband carries the spares! If I were to get a flat during the race can someone help me? Should I go with the xlab 300 much or the multi strike repair holder by xlab as well? Thank you so much 
  • Options
     It’s a pens what concert you have on there. Do you know what kiss that you have? You can count the teeth by going around in a circle. I Deleigh you at least have a 28 on the back,  and a 5034 on the front or 5236. Again, it would be super helpful if you knew what you had, maybe give your hubby some homework. We just published a blog on cycle gear in for triathletes last week you can find it on our website if that helps.

All you need to do is be able to fit a bag underneath your seat. Most bags will hold two tubes to CO2 cartridges and one tire lever.  Don’t forget the adapter that goes on the end of the CO2 so you can actually inflate your tires, and remember you want spare tubes that have stamps which are long enough to fit inside your race wheels whatever they may be. You shouldn’t have to buy extra attachments from X lab or anything else to carry supplies.

Again, I would give this to your husband his homework.

It is not a good idea to wait for neutral support. Sometimes it can take over an hour for them to get to you. I strongly suggest you get comfortable changing tires now! The likelihood of you getting a flat tire is very small but it’s worth having that skill in your back pocket.
  • Options

@Katherine Chabot-Boucher - After the 70.3, your immediate priority is to recover. So you need to take 2 to 3 days off, and then can ease back into exercise. Your first run would be on the Saturday or Sunday after the 70.3. This can be fairly unstructured, but that next week (first week of SEPT you should load up the 2019Balanced Marathon Plan, Level Two for Intermediate athletes to end on NYC marathon day. Then we can modify it as needed once you see what it looks like. 

Here’s help on the Final Surge side re the plans: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/