Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Trish Marshall Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

coming off of the foot injury (2 months no run, 1 month z1 bikes) Minimal run/bike in December 17. Following Jan OS Run focus level 2. Goals are to get durability started on run (paces are horrible, but will come around a bit I'm sure), be ready to ride complete Mt. Mitchell at Boone early May, at least 1 hundy in Aspen at Al's Bad Assed Camp early June, and of course, RAGNAR on the weekend. Will race a half mary at end of OS and possibly another for a training run if legs come around. Hoping that losing about 9lbs will help get lungs back sooner on the run than in years past. All body parts crossed! :D  

Your Races

• Ironman Louisville (2018-10-14) #IMLou_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. 

• Last updated by Coach on 01/18/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 10/14/2018
  • On 10/15/2018 Load the Intermediate Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2018
  • On 11/12/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2018 

Coach Notes

Ok kid... Talk about the road less travelled. You are always charting new territory, but enough of this boo-boo stuff. Let's hurt your foot because you are kicking someone's A$$! You know who I am thinking about!!!!  :wink: 

So, I like the OS plan for the bike as it will really get you back on track. For the weekends you are "away" then you can get in aerobic time, but always favor the bike over the run until you hit like week 9-ish..until that time, your runs should be a box. As in a safe place where you can do them, complete them, and be healthy. 

No need to run hard, just run OFTEN. Hopefully you soon can build to 2 miles in AM and 2 miles in PM with your pup a few times a week.  

To make Mitchell happen, we need two bigger weekends of riding in April. As in 3-4 hours each on Sat / Sun. Are you on Le Zwift? How will you make _this happen_ and stay sane? Let me know.

Then it' s Blue Ridge, after which, you can put the bike down for like 10 days and get back into running a bit more. Then back to the bike with  the Bike Focus plan...into Al's Camp.

Assuming we survive these few months, then the build to LOU will be a breeze. I almost said cake walk, but when I say cake near you CAKE ACTUALLY SHOWS UP and that's no good. :)

What say you Marshall??!?!?!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Looks good Patrick!  But I must point out you still have your "old ways" about you...Beginner, intermediate??  Are we not 1/2/3 now???  Anyhoo, I will switch my focus to bike which makes sense since I don't have the durability bit from last fall.  Plus, I LOVE MY BIKE! :smiley:  I am indeed on le Zwift.  I can get long rides in either there or if still going south, on the road.  I have yet to join in a group ride, but I shall soonish.  Maybe Sunday if I am recovered enough from this crappy little cold that has kicked my butt the last couple days keeping me on NO WORKOUTS because I'm a good doobie.  

I will continue to do running, with focus on frequency and thats it.  Short and sweet.  I am also gonna be like 2013 me.  Myrtles and rolling were a priority and I am back to that good habit.  I know when I focus on the little things, it adds up over time. Plus, I have a roller at the condo and don't need anything but me for the myrtles.  Yay!

One question...I do have the MT. TREMBLANT 70.3 a couple weeks post Al Camp.  When should I be working in/on the swim/run for that race?  No, It's not my A race, but yes, I want to do as well as I can in my new (oh gawd) 55-59 AG.  FOOK!  It's still a heart breaker to type that lol!!! 
  • Options
     Totally busted! I can’t help myself… Looks like somebody else here is all too!

I think you’ve got a good focus for the LCs in and I agree, all those little things add up big time it’s just creating habits to make them effective. I know you can do it. I want to picture of you doing the myrtle! Out of curiosity, do you do  more of them in Florida! :-)

The end of the Outseason has swimming built-in so you’ll already be swimming a little there all we have to do is figure out how to carry that forward.

For example, you could drop out of that bike focus block and go into the half plan as you get close to the camp If the half is more of a priority for you. We can also discuss that in the future!
  • Options
    Hi Coach P!  
    Need a little help focusing on the week before Easter for scheduling training.  I will be in FL and then driving back to the mitten over 3 days being a little touristy on the way home.  It is week 12 of the OS.  Travel will be either Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun or Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon.  My thoughts were to ride a bunch before leaving getting in a long ride (more of a time in saddle ride vs tempo) till leaving and do either no/short runs while traveling.  Last night we are staying in Louisville so I will able to run some of the course there, which is part of my evil plot in our travels home.  :wink:  

Just FYI...have not tested either bike or run, but know I'm progressing in both.   Numbers on bike are not great, but I'm doing the work as best as I can.  Run is still slower, but the hr/pace movement and getting in some decent miles are encouraging.  Tracking sleep, weight, pulse and a few other metrics in TP with the help of Matt Limbert! 

So, whatcha think?
  • Options
     Back to the mitten, eh?!  So jelly. 

Yes to 2 x tempo, 1 x touring and then do what tou
    can on the road. Could be a nice Segway to the end of the OS. 

Do you plan on testing at the end or who cares?

i would like to know what your weekly avg on the run miles has been.

and are you tan?
  • Options
    Well, my hubby is since he's been in FL since December, but me, not so much with 2 weeks here and then 2 weeks there. After my next and final two week stint I should have a jump start on the dork tri/biker tan lines! ;)

As far as testing, I've got a half marathon on 4/14 the official end of OS, but I really don't know yet if I can "race" it.  I probably should test on the bike as I want some intel on zones for Boone, and especially  for Aspen. Here are my miles on bike and run from week 4 through this week.  Today was an ez paced long run with Bob and John (I haven't seen them much this winter with the flitting back and forth) outdoors, my longest of the season at 9.18 miles.  Steady does it and no issues doing TH at my current turtle paces.  I have noticed hr dropping for paces and feeling more like a runner, so I'm happy about that.  

Weekly mileage:
    wk4 Bike 85.8    Run 22
    wk5 Bike 51.5    Run 19.4
    wk6 Bike 44.5    Run 21.3
    wk7 Bike 66.5    Run 25
    wk8 Bike 91       Run 22.8
    wk9 Bike 105     Run 27.5
    wk 10 Bike 109  Run 22.7

After week 9 (at home and killing it on zwift) I used test week as intended as a recovery-ish week even though I didn't test.  My legs had a tough time making the bike numbers happen(repeated last weeks ftp and vo2 wo's) until Saturday, which was better and my longest of the season as well at 65 miles in Zwift.  

I am shooting for 6 runs as scheduled this week and may do the TH I did not do today on Wednesday, back in FL.  Or should I let it go?  
  • Options
    So glad you saw the boys, please give them both a smack on the ass for me.

I like how consistent you have been despite the travel. For me, the move to six runs is important now and I’d like to see that weekly mileage sit around 24. You don’t need to do a super long run unless it’s part of that 24 miles this week equation. Ideally we have you sit a 24 miles for the next 3 to 4 weeks.

We definitely want one longer ride a week, unless you are in Florida where is nicer and you can go longer. In other words, you don’t need to go much longer than 60 miles in Zwift, but if you are using the trainer let’s have you do a race or a pretty hard challenging ride that’s 60 to 80 minutes long with warm up / warm down.

I don’t know if you do the races, but we strongly encourage them. Even if you use the D category sign up and weight dope (reduce your weight a little bit) so you can stay in touch with the group, it will still be a great work out.

In terms of targets, those weekly bike miles should be closer to 150 a week once we are in April!

Keep it up, rockstar!
  • Options
    Ok.  Sounds good.  I can get to 24 and 6x a week.  I want to keep a 90' run on Sunday's and the 75' run on Wednesdays.  Need to get my legs ready for at least moving 13.1 mid April even if I don't "race" it.  

I won't be back on Zwift after tomorrow till post Easter.  Will maybe try a race then!  I can get the 60-65 on zwift on a typical EN OS INT Saturday ride depending on course.  I'll start edging up those numbers for Boone!!!  

And consider the asses smacked! ;)
  • Options
    Lookout mama’s On a roll!!
  • Options
    Welcome home and see you soon!  

Update: rained like heck on the OS 1/2 marathon I had planned to participate in so, no race.  Have not gotten to 13.1 yet, but inching closer.  Dropped myself into the HIM plan since I had a soft week in last week of OS and didn't need to recover from the half mary.  I did do a bike test (PU!  WORST ftp number EVER!) but whatever...its where I'm at.  Still no true run test.  Don't think its worth pushing the foot when I am doing ok on the run and need to focus on trail miles for Ragnar.  

SOOOO, next week.  I think I will try and get the long run in Monday or Tuesday before leaving for Boone.  Plan on a swim in Boone on Wednesday before dinner to loosen up from the drive.  Should I push for the long run or just run Monday and Tuesday?  Thoughts?  And yay!  Boone Soon!

• Options
    No worries on the run test, or the bike and numbers. Remember, all we want is consistency is that adds up over time to create a fitness that we want.

I like the idea of you splitting that long run between Monday and Tuesday so that we get it done but you aren’t carrying that much for Teagan to Boone. A swim on Wednesday and maybe a short run would be nice before we get to work on Thursday!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2018 3:02PM
    Need a little help for the last week of May...there is a race rehearsal scheduled, but that is fly day to Colorado.  Should I follow the schedule and not worry about the weekend stuff as Saturday is a travel day to Snowmass (YAY!) and Sunday we start the week of riding?  I am doing camp weekend (week 15 of the HIM plan) this weekend. I have IMMT 70.3 6/24. 

I took 3 days off post Boone-travel/shopping day, Wednesday and Friday.  Oh, and pushed mothers day abp and brick to Monday.  So, basically recovered but a lot of riding this week.  What do you think?  I had put the Saturday stuff on Friday in TP when I transferred my stuff way back when.  ;)
  • Options
     I can’t believe we get to hang out twice in the same year! I am practically giddy about it. :-)

I would like you to get the razor Hursel done before you go. Hopefully you can do it on the Wednesday or the Thursday before hand. I presume you’re not bringing your tribe bike to Colorado so it’s not like you need to pack that thing up. The idea would be to lock you in a good number before you head out. Then you can train and have fun when you come back you can at least reference were you are versus where you were just before you left.

Another reason is just a race rehearsals aren’t that hard Aside from the logistics. That’s my call. If you decide otherwise, let me know. We can be 100% confident that your time in Snowmass is going to make you much better no matter what you do before you leave!
  • Options
    I agree.  Need the RR.  BUT...this week is to be a RUN Race Rehearsal as well (per the actual schedule).  I am taking today off after Thurs long run,Friday s/b/r and Saturday b/r due to my anniversary today.

My thoughts are: swim ez or off Monday, Race rehearsal run Tuesday (12 mile run...should be a bout 2:10) swim Wednesday, RR bike and run Thursday, swim Friday. 

Only reason I want to keep RR RUN is I have NOT raced any 13.1 this season and have NOT run 12 in a long run yet. Fitness is starting to show up a bit, but still not real confident at this point.  29 miles running this week, 34.5 running week before that fyi....
  • Options
    I like the plan and I like your overall thought process behind it. Especially the part of the recovery.

I agree without that 13.1, getting along right now and will be very useful for your system. Remember, that Run is not about judging yourself but about putting in some time to stretch the run Fitness a bit.

Enjoy your big week!
  • Options
    Ps -  and happy anniversary!!  <3
  • Options
    It's been stupid hot here, so I got up early and got the run done.  It went really well.  I was able to hit paces as prescribed, take in nutrition as planned, and legs felt a bit better at the end of the run vs last weeks long run.  Still not speedy, but no worries there.  Just trying to build with out injury.  Onward.  And EEEKKKK!  Elevation in three days!!!

• Options
    Awesome! I’m glad to hear things are coming along. Especially with your pacing and nutrition. Those early workouts in the heat can be really demoralizing, even for the toughest of athletes. I’m glad you were able to do that right.
  • Options
    MT Tremblant 70.3 is in the books. Went about as expected overall-better swim than I thought I'd have, good feeling bike, decent run till stomach went off.  First 13 miler of 18' is in the books lol.  

Wanted to schedule a call but looks like options have changed, so refresh my memory...I have Steelhead 70.3 8/12 and IMKY 10/14.  Should I load an IM plan in or stick with 70.3 or some other flavor for now.  I *think* we spoke about doing more 70.3 type work at Al's camp, but I don't remember for how long...I need to get my ducks in a row moving forward.  I am planning on a chat with Paul C on how I can implement some crush type intervals into my plan to help lift the roof and ceiling on the bike.  Of course, run needs to be improving and steady as well.  Would love your thoughts.  
    swim: http://tpks.ws/IDEQKVLW4C6NLBZPYZKJNW6TRQ
    bike: http://tpks.ws/U65LENARHX5E7PL3HFKNYEP2IM
    run: http://tpks.ws/XTNQPHOKSB27J46EYSVYPXJIWQ
  • Options
     Making me work hard for my money.  Everyone gets one or two calls a year so if you haven’t called me go for it:  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

I will set aside some time to look at this in detail this week. 
  • Options
    Thanks.  Won't call for now...Will save it for panic mode closer to IMKY. ;)  FYI I have steelhead 70.3  8/12/18 on the way to IMKY 
  • Options
    @Trish Marshall Thanks for the race data links!!! Looking at it the swim and bike were epic. The run you started a bit hot. Your bike AHR was 148 but you were running 158 to 160 in those early miles. On that course, in a half, we really need to get those first 3 miles down HR-wise so you can eat / drink and then run to your potential over the remainder of the day. You didn't blow up on the run, but I believe there is some performance gains to be had esp when the final 3 miles are so challenging. 

Races:
    • 08/12/18 Steelhead
    • 10/14/18 Louisville

Planning:

You have about 15 1/2 weeks until IMKY. I think we NEED that much time to build the RUN, but you can hold off on the bike. So follow the IM plan for running, but I like the idea of no long biking until after Steelhead. IOW, between now and Steelhead, most of your rides should be in the 2.5 to 3.5 hour range, mostly at ABP / 80% to 85% of FTP. You can do ONE longer ride that's EASY in Zone 2 maybe as the pre-Steelhead weekend "taper", something like a scenic / flat century. 

You could also change that Wed ride to be "Crush-Like" just be patient with yourself as you could easily over do it (as run miles will be going up) so start Le Crush with just one quality session a week. 

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    Sounds good.  I am being nit picky...which flavor of IM plan do I run (pun intended!)  Run or Bike focus?  I was using bike focus OS and HIM plan thus far.  

That was my thought on Le Crush.  Only on the Wednesday's on the trainer where I can properly murder myself. :D 

And we BOTH know epic swim/bike is called aguabike, not triathlon.  But thanks for just thinking it and not saying it. DOH!
  • Options
    Annnnd I tweaked my left calf yesterday on the treadmill.  Like, I'm getting off the treadmill because this hurts tweaked.  Swam to day and will try a trot later.  Grrrrrr!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2018 3:36PM
    Hi!  Miss me???  LOL.  Tweaked calf was rested and is better.  Also, am backing down from crush intervals after re-reading Pauls post on them. I think this would be kick ass in off season, but I don't want to risk injury on the run in season.  Too much work to do there.  Tweaked calf has me nervous and I'd rather not push my irish luck at this point!
  • Options
     Miss you? Daily!   :wink:

Glad to hear you rested that calf. They can be so fickle and it’s hard to tell exactly what sets them off. I agree with your decision on the crush intervals.

No reason why we can’t get a little aggressive with the midweek threshold work in and of itself. For example, keep the intervals under 10 minutes in duration and expect to see higher numbers because of that. 

Let me know how the transition to the full plan is going.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2018 2:47PM
    Survived my second 13 miler at Steelhead.  Slow, but no tummy issues at all, so I'm geeked about that.  I head up north for Dutton Camp (2 days cycling the hilliest bits of Michigan-one century planned and second day is maybe 60-80? tbd) today.  Possibly some swimming in the lake, and maybe a brick or short run Sunday before heading home.  My first time with these goofs...there will be many shenanigans I am sure!

This week I took Monday off and did a paddle on the lake, recovery swim Tuesday, ART appt. and swim yesterday.  Today I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill and felt really good! The weekend holds a century of rolling hills, and a second ride of 75-80?  Depends on the group choice.  Will brick off both runs short I think.  Sunday we come home, but I feel like I should run.  Just not sure how long?  

I have 6 weeks to get consistent and build the run.  Last week was very light as this week I am hoping to get to 24/5 including the race miles.  

I have INT bike focused loaded up through IMKY.  Would love your thoughts on how to maximize the 6 weeks I have left.  We have an on course training weekend planned for week 15 I believe-9/7-8-9 so theres that. ;) 
  • Options
     Your cycling plan for this weekend sounds great. In addition to running off of each ride, I suggest we plan on getting in 8 to 10 miles on Sunday morning.

I am very pleased with nutrition, and your bike looks pretty good. The long ride to take care of the Endurance but it’s the run Durability that matters now. 

The keys run training is the long run follow the next day by a 30 to 45 minute run. Nothing flashy either day, but we need those back to back sessions. I recommend you take Wednesday’s off from the run and possibly Mondays as well if needed. Just gives you the Tuesday interval, Thursday long run Friday follow up Saturday and Sunday brick and Monday strides. Deal?
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan.  Run isn't speedy, but feeling more solid.  Excited to build on that!

Recap: 100 ride with breaks and 2 miles brick off Friday, 48 mile ride with stops (and a hot dog!) and delayed run of 4.7 rolling miles Saturday.  Same route of 4.7 miles Sunday am, drove 3 hours home and ran 3.3 to get to 8 for the day.  Legs felt pretty good through out, elevation was less on the bike and more on the ran than I figured, but thats fine.  Century I chased the boys second half and felt really strong.  Happy about that.  

My friend who has ALS was among the party Saturday and Sunday.  So very grateful for any time we can share. The pack of goofs overall was good for the soul.  We are organizing some fundraising for him and shirts for IMFL.  We can't fix anything but at least we can do this.  He is the kind of guy who fundraises for others, so not his usual way, to be on the receiving end. I think he knows it is a way we can show that we love him and lets us DO something to honor and help him. 

• Options
    Thanks for sharing the story, heartbreaking.

I really like where your bike is at right now and look forward to you maximizing that this year. Remember, the better you break the better you will run. By better biking I don’t mean faster, I’m in smarter. The more you can stay arrow and work the course like a ninja the faster you will be… And the more you will have left for the run. 

Now  now is a great time to focus a bit on nutrition for recovery, I know you are, and flexibility as the volume starts to stack up. 
  • Options

Hey Coach P...hope this finds you well. Just completed IMKY camp with a full ride and brick Friday, Saturday only 41 on the bike due to weather and asshat drivers (you weren't kidding about no shoulders!!!) and one loop of the run course. Enjoyed the course and having Jonathon Brown with us!!!

I have to move my week 16 swim/long bike/brick to tomorrow vs Saturday and yes, I did the long run today. I am mostly looking as how the swim impacts my riding.

I'm not worried about that combo this week, but I have to adjust the final race rehearsal from Saturday to Friday as well. How should I structure the week so I don't have a two hour run the day before my race rehearsal? If weather permits I will be doing the swim, bike and run on the same day as I have a park that makes that possible. If weather is crap I'll swim in the pool, ride zwift, and tm it. Fingers crossed for out doors!

Planning on doing the Sunday rides as prescribed. Not quite as effective as back to back, but its what I can do.

Looking forward to your thoughts and hope our Kona training is going well!