Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Trish Marshall Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Trish Marshall Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In situations where you need to move the combination work out earlier I recommend pushing the long run towards the end of the week, maybe even on Sunday. You could shorten that Sunday ride a little bit and then do the long run as a brick afterwards. No this would mean that you need to take Monday off or just pull only in the pool. I think you’ve done a great job this year being consistent with your training, the big differentiator will be how your nutrition plays into that space to keep you healthy and fueled as you progress into the race. Can you give me an update on that?

• Options

Nutrition has been very good on all training and runs, and ok off the bike and out of run shoes. Trying to not eat out of boxes and bags to get more nutrients in. Those chocolate covered almonds do come in a bag though. ;) My weight has not changed at all. Nothing to be done about it at this point though I'm afraid.

I have not been swimming as much as I should be and taking a bit more time off. Last week mentally was just hard. I've been training alone quite a bit and that is very hard on this social girl. Even the boys bailed on the 5 hour (cold and windy) ride Saturday. I got it in though. I can't muscle my way through the bike like they can.

My run has been feeling good ( not fast mind you...but good!) and long rides on the bike have been very hard (saddle issues that make hours 4/5 very challenging and painful) It's like the Lions beating the Pats last night...upside down world! 🤷‍♀️

I think I am going to do my long run on Wednesday vs Sunday as I don't really want to carry fatigue from a two hour run into 2 weeks from the race. I will try and get the ftp work on the bike in on Sunday instead. So, what do you think about that switch???

• Options

Don’t sweat it too much, the consistency of those workouts is Keith it’s not always about the speed. I can’t believe how cold it is become all of a sudden, so kudos to you for continuing to get that working. I know that’s going to help you on race day.

Hopefully those comfort issues on the bike don’t take away too much from your race. I agree with your change for the run so that you have a little more time to absorb the work. Please make sure that you fuel to run very properly and that you use your normal text after to recover!

As for doing the FTP on Sunday, warm up for half an hour and then just give it your best effort. Even if you don’t hit the numbers at this point, I’m just more concerned that you’re perceived exertion is in the right place/you are working hard. Can’t wait to track you on race day.

• Options

PT update:

I have an angry periformus/glute. Current prescription is stretching and light lacrosse ball to increase mobility. I got a dry needling treatment, and electric stimulation to the area on Monday. The pt is a cyclist and they are sports oriented at the office. Kona qualifier PT's as well, so I think I'm in the right place. I will have an appointment next week after I return from FL.

He said pain is to be my guide and does not agree with the chiro that more time off the bike is beneficial. I am in FL so no biking till after the 14th which will have given me about 4 weeks off. Will be zwifting and trying to find most comfy position. Hopefully I can heal up some and build up some so I can do some good work in December before heading to FL for January.

Ran 24 or 25 miles last week and it was grumping me a bit when not running, so will probably run a bit less this week. Running very slowly to try and keep HR lower, which works like a champ on the treadmill, but not at ALL out doors. 20 beats different or more for similar paces. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the sun this week lol.

• Options

Thanks for the update, and yes, it sounds like you’re in a good place in terms of support. And please tell me you were doing a pre-run dynamic warm-up. I will put the link below in case you need one. Also, is there something going on during the day that we could try and change to approve this? For example, many people who are deskbound struggle with hip/puriform us issues.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdenOdoz-MI

• Options
    edited November 16, 2018 3:01AM

Wellness update!

I do a lunge series before running when out and about and if on the mill I usually do that as well as banded squats.

Florida was a great break with entirely too much eating out and gelato. Like, I'm on an official gelato strike! OY! Golfed a few times, ran a few times at MAF heart rate (hard with the temps and humidity) and ended up walking on the day I planned to beach run...red tide still in the area and made me cough a lot, so running seamed dumb. ;)

PT again this am-doing physio ball bridges and hammie curls, and single leg dead lifts. Will probably get stim again next week.

Trail run for my friend with ALS is Saturday. Don't know what will be worse...hills or cold! This will be my long walk/run this week. Looking forward to all of us spending some time together doing what he loves and the pot luck afterwards.

Bike is back on the trainer as of tonight. Will either bike tomorrow and Sunday or just Sunday if party prep gets the best of me. Hoping to find a good position to ride with minimal pain in the butt. We shall see.

Was thinking of doing some abp work at 10% less than my last FTP since I've been off the bike for a month. Thoughts on that?

Congrats on the School board gig! Nice! They are lucky to have you!

• Options

Thanks for the update! I should’ve known better than to question your dedication to the little things. All of that work sounds great and will undoubtedly help you. I find that there is a build up. Which we cannot Exceller rate each season. The more cautious we can be there the better off things will be.

Yes to the EBP style work, but honestly just having you ride right now aerobically will be important. It’s as much getting things moving and “greasing all the components“ that matters. You are not in a space where you need that intensity out of the gate. There’s a time and place for it, and it’s coming, but for right now I just want the consistency as you do your best to fix your butt. 😂

• Options
    edited December 3, 2018 7:42PM

@Trish Marshall -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Trish, I think the best play here is to keep you active through DEC as you continue to rehab and get stronger. I don't think we gain anything out of rushing you, IOW. We'll go into an abbreviated JAN OS (5 weeks) then into IMTX prep.

Of course, should something arise we can adjust. I think that your best track to IMTX starts with you being loose and healthy. That means consistency...even if it's time on the elliptical and / or hiking. I don't really care too much about the intensity right now; volume is the best and safest tool to get you ready!

Your Races

• Ironman North American Championships - Woodlands TX (2019-04-27) #IMNorthAmericanChamp_19 
    • 08/26/2019 Ironman 70.3 Traverse City-brand new race event

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/03/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
    • Holiday Week...behave here!!!! 👮
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 2/11/2019 Load the EN*Full to end on 4/27/2019
    • On 4/28/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/25/2019
    • On 5/26/2019 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/6/2019
    • On 6/23/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/8/2019

Your Notes

Recovering from glute issue (doing PT work through end of year, then continuing the darn work on my own!)

Lots of slow running..about 20 miles a week, 2 rides a week z2, no desire to swim lol.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I am also planning on doing IMKY on 10/13. I'm pretty sure I added it, but its not listed. I am sure that changes the plan moving through the half IM 8/26.

PT is going along nicely. Not fixed yet, but definately improving week to week. Took 3 days off last week for life etc, but got the long run in yesterday and back on the bike for a bit today.

I tried to load a 2018 OS workout, but they were all GONE. Whats up with that? How do I get the 19 os workouts in zwift?

• Options

On some level I refuse to plan for 11 months from now, especially given your propensity to change things! :-) Let’s check in on that soon.

All of the workouts and information are listed in the respective out season forms, which point you to the Outeason section of the training plan central page. If you go to the November else he’s in for him and click on the November out season getting started link you will find everything you need. Remember, we update the workouts every year!

• Options

Well, I know it sounds like I'm a flake, but hey...other than cancelling Spain (need to stay married after all) my changes were out of my hands! Stupid Hurricane! But I get it. We shall work the plan till it needs to be changed.

I get that the plans are updated, but I have no clue why all of a sudden previously downloaded items were gone from Zwift. I'm not in a plan officially yet and just wanted to have a bit of structure on a ride that I was familiar with. I'll look at the resources and see what I can see, but I want my old stuff back darn it! ;)

• Options

Oh, sorry. I deleted those with workout files from Endurance Nation. I did not delete anything from years away. I have powers, but not that many powers. I suggest you take that up with their support team.

I’m not calling you a flake, just saying that that’s how your cookie crumbles. LOL.

• Options

Dude, you know I'm tech challenged. Of course the weird stuff happens to me! But apparently something happened on the zwift end. Not just me lol. No worries...I actually was able to load up 19 OS so if I manage to swing my leg over the bike I have the work.

Now you have me thinking about cookies. Damn it! ;)

• Options

No worries. Thanks for posting all of those beautiful Instagram pictures. I appreciate the motivation!