Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Carl Alleyne Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Carl Alleyne OK then, we are in agreement. You do the half plan through to your November race and we use your body race is an opportunity for a training experience.

Essentially that means doing the regularly scheduled workouts through Wednesday, we can drop the long run from Thursday because you’ll be doing that on the weekend. He move the swim from Friday to Thursday and then Friday off. Race Saturday. Then on Sunday You can either take the day off, or do an easy one to two hour ride to spin the legs out.

Either way, the Monday workout is just the swim and then we get back to it.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick , I did a local Olympic relay race (just the bike portion). Attached is some analysis. I'm not terribly disappointed (.86 IF using my road bike FTP). I probably could've went a lil harder on the hill coming back. I kept waiting for it to get a lot steeper than it really was. I have a 53-39 chainring set on my ventum so it's not optimal for climbing (Although you and Jeremy seem to do well with that haha). And climbing isn't my strong suit to begin with. I also have 170mm cranks (I've looked into getting 165's). I wanted to get you thoughts. Looks like I have a lot of power/HR spikes. Seems like the best way to time trial would be to smooth everything out instead of spiking. What do you think?

• Options

As a relay racer, you don't have to be that smooth. Moving a bike is all about momentum...building it and sustaining it. Sometimes you can coast, other times you need to work really hard (spike). You CANT do that if you need to run later, but you can in a regular race.

My only feedback here is that your final climb faded out a bit; I would have like to see the power Be more consistent in that section.

To put it another way, how tired were you at the end?

• Options

@Coach Patrick Ahh, with a run, the bike power #s need to be a lot smoother?

I was pretty tired at the end. But I also felt like I saved myself a bit too. Even though I knew I had a 1.5 miles to go for some reason I thought it would get a lot steeper and consequently saved myself a little bit. Have to do better with knowing the route.

• Options

My point is if you are planning to runoff the bike, and you want to run well or at least for a long distance, then the bike numbers have to be smoother. The spikes of high watts are what zap your energy.

In a really when you’re only riding a bike, you can be significantly more aggressive with your effort because you have nothing to do afterwards except high-five your team on the podium!

• Options
    edited September 30, 2019 3:50PM

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

I know you're crazy busy supporting the real racers, lol, at the ironmans. How was IMCHOO?

Just wanted to give you an update. Training is going decent. I could put in some more running miles, which I'll be increasing this month. This past weekend's 70.3 was interesting. Better swim but still zig zagging. The bike was going well until I missed a turn (which a good amount of other bikers did too). NP, 203, was still quite low compared to my indoor tested NP of 300. And the run wasn't very well executed either (ended up with a 7:25 min/mile pace). Went out too fast, AGAIN, and actually had to stop and walk ~3 times. HR was spiking in the upper 180s so I thought it would've been a good idea to walk for ~20 secs during the stops.

I changed my crank arms the week before so maybe it was combo of things 1) getting used to shorter cranks 2) not tapering as much 3) very humid with a lot of headwind. I said I didnt care about time as much with this race so I won't beat myself up too much.

• Options

I like where you’re at but I agree I think some small changes could make a big difference for you. On the swim, next time you are in open water I recommend you just put your head down and swim 20 strokes and see which way you “Natalie” girl. What you do find that tendency we can offset it. For example, I’m actually drift to the left. So every third or fourth stroke with my right hand I placed it in the water at 2 o’clock on the dial instead of 12 o’clock which is just enough of a correction. I like where you’re at but I agree I think some small changes could make a big difference for you. On the swim, next time you are in open water I recommend you just put your head down and swim 20 strokes and see which way you “natural“ go. Once you define that tendency we can offset it. For example, I naturally drift to the left. So every third or fourth stroke with my right hand I placed it in the water at 2 o’clock on the dial Instead of 12 o’clock which is just enough of a correction. That helps me stay straight without having to focus on turning.

Don’t worry about your bike this late in the year, your watts are pretty set.

As for the run, those first 3 miles are critical. You have to keep your heart rate down during that time and then you can build it up. During those 3 miles walked 30 seconds at every station and eat and drink like a champ. That will set you up to be successful!

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick !

How are you? My season is finally done lol. I can rest....for a week or two lol. Wanted to get your thoughts for 2020 before I entered my inputs into the Race database.

I have a lot of things I want to do and not enough time to do them of course. To start, I think I'm going to do the Miami Marathon in Feb (as a fun race), The Speed Project again in March and Mallorca bike camp. In your opinion, is this too much and will all that running allow me enough room to improve on the bike during the winter? I may have to cancel an event or two if it all doesn't align with my goals of improving on body comp, bike and swim (I joined a master's class). My run is in a decent space and will improve with some weight loss. As far as tri's goes, I'm thinking my A race will be IMMD or ITU world championships, both in Sept 2020. I'll probably add a HIM or some oly's in the summer as well. I wanted to push for a BQ marathon effort but that may have to wait until 2021. How do I fit all of this in haha? Also, check out my race report below and let me know your thoughts on that as well. Thanks a lot!

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/26225/2019-miami-man-race-report#latest

• Options

@Coach Patrick Friendly reminder to give advice on races/training on the above post. I know you have a lot of IMAZ stuff to get ready for. I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle haha.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Hey, friendly reminder about the above post. I just submitted my initial races as well.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Challenge Almere (2020-09-13) #ChallengeAlmere_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on December 9, 2019
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/20/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  5/31/2020
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the  -- EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on  9/13/2020
    • On 9/14/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/11/2020
    • On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020

Your Notes

I did two half ironman distanced races. One in Sept (5:08) in Maryland and One in Nov in Miami (5:25). 

My best half-ironman distanced race was in 2018 at AC (5:04)I feel like I've lost a little bit of fitness since then could race tomorrow if need be. In this offseason, I would like to run streak, swim 3 times a week and still get stronger on the bike haha. Don't know if all that's possible but would love some guidance.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Ahh nice touch with the personal video. Thanks a lot!!

So I guess in the years going forward, I should try to pack my races in the same time of year, whether it be early in the year or late? It makes sense. After the speed project (which was closely followed by the mallorca bike camp), I was generally drained and it took a while to get back into the swing of things.

I'm going on a run streak too with 90% of pretty slow miles as well. Also, I'm actively working on the swim and body comp (which I said I was going to do last winter but didn't haha).

• Options

For you brother, no worries!! I gotta push myself to be able to connect better with you next generation young kids. 😂

longer seasons are ok, we just need to be ready to manage those ups and Downs. Those are the hardest times to train... when motivation is low.

I like the run durability focus for you. Feel free to do a local 5k (after warming up!) every once in a while. Some speed is ok but the durability is what’s going to set the stage for a year of good endurance.

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

How are you! I think I'm going to do a 50 miler with Rob Peters and Maurice on Dec 19th, 2020. I tried updating the race database and got a "page not found" error. How should I update so you can modify my plan? I'm guessing it's just going to be a plan with longer runs after my sept ITU full. Also, since there is not pool access in April what can I do between 4/13-4/26 besides add in some dry land swim exercising. Currently it's:

•  Last updated by Coach on December 9, 2019
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 9/14/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/11/2020
    • On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020

Also, I was looking back at older screenshots and saw the day u jumped from 350s to 384w FTP in Sept 18'. I'm just now noticing you had a VO2 of 74. I look at mine and it's 47. I know it's partly genetics, but would more FTP (20') or 5-8' intervals be more useful to increase VO2? Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 7, 2020 8:24PM

@Carl Alleyne - hey man, thanks for using the forums. 🤣 the best way for me to update your races is on my end, so all you need to do is submit your racist to me here, and I will take care of the rest: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TriathlonSeasonRoadmap.aspx 

If you aren't changing the early-season Races, and only adding a new one, then just add the new race and check the do not process item and it will go right to the database.

• Let's keep up with the OutSeason®  for now, as that's good work.
    • I created a "Swim Camp Replacement Plan" that you can follow (it's in Final Surge under the plans)
    • With your long course plan, we'd just build off of that to keep you going. I wouldn't want to run too much longer given the "overall build" you are trying to achieve leading up to that race.

For that work, super interesting. I was good at 5h power and FTP. The issue was that I sucked at the short stuff. 10" 30" 1' all were bad. If I was CAT 2 at 3h power, I was CAT 5 at 5 minutes. So, once the weather got nice, I went out and started doing those shorter, harder intervals and build it up.

When I took my 30" power from 500 to 750 (not as hard as it sounds when you never do it), I could take my 1' up to 625..and then my 3' up to 475 and my 5' up to 425....which turned in to 4 x 5' at 400 to 425 (you get tired) and then me saying, F-it, I am going to ride 20' at 400, and I did it. Make sense?

While I have you here...let's do a forum signature (link) and let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

Ps I fixed that help link; we moved the site so it's help.endurancenation.us

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks! I already submitted a roadmap earlier this year. Should I submit another?

Its the Lookout Mountain 50 miler on 12/19/2020.

• Options

@Carl Alleyne as mentioned in the email I just sent you, as a thank you for referring Allison to the team you are getting a membership upgrade for 1 month, which means you are moving up to CoachEN

You can book an onboarding call with Coach Patrick here:  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

To ready Coach P for the call can you share in here what your top priority for learning is now.

Thanks

• Options

@Brenda Ross @Coach Patrick In prep for the phone call my top priority is dialing in the run workouts per the EN zones (I'm interested in the rationale with the difference between EN zones and trainingpeaks zones) while increasing bike fitness.

• Options

@Carl Alleyne before we talk this week, can you please send over your training peaks username, password, current threshold power on the rumba, weight, and age.before we talk this week, can you please send over your training peaks username, password, current threshold power on the run and bike, weight, and age. This will allow me to import stuff for some analysis.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Carl Alleyne - hey man, great to talk with you today. Thanks for taking the time. As we discussed with such a long period of time until your race I think it makes sense to build up your bike strength for a higher threshold power with some of these shorter intervals.

I have outlined the ranges below for each power and ideally you are able to achieve the number of repeats we want at the right power and then move to the next step.

I don't wanna spend more than six weeks on this project but I think we'll see some good gains right away.

• 4/20 - 2' intervals, 4' of rest. 4 to 6 repeats in 430W to 450W range.
    • 4/27 - 3' intervals, 4' of rest. 5 repeats at 380W to 400W range.
    • 5/4 - 5' interval, 5' rest. 3 repeats of 330W to 350W
    • 5/11 - 5' interval, 5' rest. 4 repeats of 335w to 355W
    • 5/18 - 7' interval, 5' rest. 3 repeats of 315W to 325W
    • 5/25 - 7' interval, 5' rest. 3 repeats of 320W to 335W.

So those are the targets...and by the end, you should be able to do 20minutes at close to 320 in a single go.

Note, in terms of timing we'd want to do these intervals early in the week....if it were a standard week i would call it Tuesday is prime day; Wed you could coffee ride it (or similar effort/race on Zwift)...weekend would be endurance stuff. Maybe you can do some 30 second hard efforts for fun (or cruise crush on Sunday for 75 minutes max) for short bursts with a ton of rest (only if you feed good).

During this time we want to really be smart about the run, so keep that pretty easy when you do run.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

I see a 2 minute new power best! Looks like the rest of the intervals fell short, but still great work! 💪

• Options

@Coach Patrick Yea my legs were trashed from the weekend and still heavy. I felt it on the first interval. I'll reset and start the interval experiment next week. Thanks a lot.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Hate to bother you about this but the training blocks seem a tad bit off....

•  Last updated by Coach on December 9, 2019

I figured you meant on 4.27.2020 to start the bike focused block to end on 6.7.2020. But the full plan, 12 weeks, that starts on 6.8.2020 ends on 8.30.2020. My A race is on 9.13.2020 so that leaves a two week gap from 8.30.2020. Can you help fill in the blanks? Thanks!

Maybe if the pool opens up by 6.7.2020 I can add a real two week swim camp (not likely but may be an option).

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

Friendly reminder for the post above.

• Options

@Carl Alleyne Sorry man, just saw this. I was only looking at your raw numbers and missed the big picture! Here it is updated for you:

• On 4/27/2020  Load the  [Specificity] Bike FTP 5-Minute Hack, All Abilities (6wks) to end on  6/7/2020
    • On 6/8/2020 Load the Full Prep Plan 94 (4Weeks) to end on 07/05/2020
    •  **Transition Early**
    • On 06/22/20 Load the  -- EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on  9/13/2020

Of the big picture, I took a look at your power numbers and see that you did a good job of hitting the two minute mark the other week. Combine with the one hour hour mark you said in an earlier ride, I think you can appropriately those five minute intervals... Just perfect timing for your plan.

Pacing a 5' interval is no joke, and it's harder indoors (but safer). You'll want to do 20 to 30 seconds at 350, likely standing. Then sit, shift into a good gear and start getting after the 330 number. Watch your interval NP to make sure it's at or above 330. Note you might only hit 330 in one interval and do 315 to 330 in the others...that's okay. You will get better at is as we go along!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick ,

Hey, no need to respond. Just keeping notes and keep you apprised. Today's workout plan was intervals of 3x4' at 110% of FTP (set at 300w). I did a race late last year at 367w avg and 369w NP for 5'. So I knew I was capable of doing this workout.

I ended up doing intervals at 340w, 350w and 360w. I actually think I could've gutted out all 3 at 360w. Felt really great.

• Options

@Carl Alleyne Yeah, you are blowing the power curve out of the water!

Based on your performances, we'll need to move things a bit higher. I have just did your intervals for today to be seven minutes in duration in a different color target. I want you to really get after to the first one and then do your best on the next two. Remember this with me and doing two minutes at probably 330 before settling in and trying to keep it above a cumulative normalized power of 325.

Onwards!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029573/uploads/500/Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.01.13 AM.png There was an error displaying this embed.

• Options

@Coach Patrick ,

Was able to do all 3 of those intervals at @325. However, I did 7' of rest. Didn't realize that until after. I probably needed it hahaha.

Progress was definetly made. I struggled with this exact workout a couple month ago @310-315w and needed to take longer than 7' breaks to finish.

• Options

@Carl Alleyne The 7' rest is fine for these sessions... To be honest, I do the same exact thing. It's very hard to be able to get the effort up that high and sustain it which is why we need the rest. As the intervals get longer in the intensity drops, then our need for recovery will diminish. But for right now as you are forging longer strength from your fast twitch capacity that additional rest is OK.

#carlstrong

~ Coach P