Home Races & Places 🏁⛺

[Member Led Camp] Camp Hoff - Vermont June 19-23, 2019

edited January 30, 2019 11:25AM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

CAMP Dates - June 19 - 23 (can stay earlier or later for free!)

Per @Coach Patrick's Member camp initiative, this camp is now live and ready for action. 

5 weeks prior to IMLP to create a Vermont based camp.

The house is on Lake Rescue(Bring your wetsuit!), 3 miles North of Ludlow Vermont(Okemo Ski Area). I am conducting a 4-5 day (June 19 - 23) camp (weds night to Sunday) there will be the option for people to come up earlier and make a longer time out of it.

The cost is $100 per person. If you are bringing a non biking/ competing partner/spouse with you, the extra contribution is $25, as 3 of the 4 BRs and sofabed are queens. The money is primarily to pay for food, nutrition, coffee and house cleaning. 

The house has 3 Queens, 2 sets of bunks, 1 sofa bed and we could probably do 2-3 singles on air mattresses (reduced rate).

The proposed dates are Wednesday June 19th through Sunday June 23rd

The Saturday ride is the Long Trail Brewery’s Century (with 40/60/100 & Harder 100 mile options) so this adds in a great local supported ride with a great party with bands to follow. 

GETTING to VERMONT - For those of you that would consider coming and flying here, the closest airports are all about 2 – 2 ½ hours away, Boston, Albany, Hartford, Burlington) There are 4 attendees that live in Northern NJ & Westchester County NY. We can easily arrange rides to VT if you can get to any NYC airport. 

Please let me know one of the following choices of your potential attendance. There is potential to make this a multi-house event as there are 3-4 VRBO houses within 250 yards of my house. I am hopeful that as I meet these people, I can secure a better rate being a neighbor and the timing being on the end of the shoulder season.

The house just went through a full interior renovation and can be viewed at this link

If you are interested, please let me know one of the following?
-checking my calendar, I like this idea
-totally in, what sacrilegious act must I perform to hold my spot?
-not doing anything crazy (I've seen your weight loss challenge thread) but count me in!

As of now we have a few committed folks including Al Truscott, Andrew Lustigman, Steve Boer And Rob "Gronk" Peters

This will be a full blown Tri camp with an emphasis on big biking but plenty of time to have efficient swimming off my dock and a great run around the lake! 

If anyone wants to do an ultra camp, I can easily pull some great trail routes nearby and arrange for rides/  support. 

The FB group is located here if you'd like to track the action

Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 31, 2018 3:22PM
    Pinning this list to the top and will update as people sign on:
    1-@Steve Boer
    2-@Andrew Lustigman
    3-@Scott Dinhofer
    4-@Larry Peters Aka "the Gronk," aka "Rob"
    5-James Keeley (Non Ener) Training partner of SD & strong 56YO (8th in IMLP 2018)
  • Sounds awesome Scott & the long weekend works great. However, the June time frame gets busy for me. Have you considered a weekend in August that might work out well for the later season Ironman (Wis, Choo, Louivelle) people? Vermont in the fall must be amazing.

• I's love to help initiate this soon-to-be legendary event. With my knee not yet fully functional, and next year being maybe my last age-up year, I need to keep options open. But I'll sign up for the FB group, and keep my eye open to this.
  • @Mark Stahlkopf - totally open to  the idea of a long weekend camp this August, probably labor day week. Any other takers?
  • Looks awesomely awesome, but 2019 is a double IM year for me...that's 90% of my off time right there.  
  • @Paul Hough - considering a fall '18 group this september, interest?
  • @ScottDinhofer, time is the same issue this year.  I have races in Norway and South Africa, then in Oct I am going to a sons wedding in Vermont.  I cant swing anymore vacation time.
  • edited August 14, 2018 9:00PM
    @Scott Dinhofer If 2019 Al camp gets moved to a time I cannot do it (like early May or after mid July), this camp would be great timing for me, and of course I would love to do it! I’m fine sharing a queen bed with anyone who is willing, or sleeping on an air magtrrss. I could even  bring my inflatable camping pad & sleep on that.

this looks like just enough time to recover from Eagleman , 2019 key race :)

will this conflict with 2019 Bend camp? Do you know if that is coming back?
  • edited October 29, 2018 4:16PM
    @Larry Peters  I know nothing about the Bend Camp. Definitely in flux with the Al Camp timing. For me it's hard to move this date as I will want to do some big volume this weekend & the weekend after (July 4) and find time to get to LP for 2 days. 

should be able to recover from EM by this as I am trying to see if I do that or not. 

it will be great to have The Gronk in Vermont! 
  • @Scott Dinhofer , ok, cool, thanks! I'm totally ok with a sofa bed or a bunk. Good to know about options for additional houses. I checked with Jenn and Bend Camp is not happening in 2019.

It would be awesome to come train with you and the team in Vermont, especially after reading "North." I loved the book! Thanks again so much! I'll follow the news regarding VT camp in the respective channels. Thanks a ton for organizing this! I'm not 100% sure I can do it, but I am very interested. Thanks!

• Camp info updated and am interested in filling out the last few spots, or generating interest to secure another house.

here are some previews of some of the longer rides we might do, and there has been some offline discussion about a "pre-" camp VT Six Gaps ride.

Climbing day is a 59 mile ride with ascents of 2 major mountains. Riders can opt to drop the ridiculous climbs off the route if desired -

An easily shortened route, but shows the terrain we have to work with -

this route can be modified to a really nice 42 miler, basically going from the start point over a hill to mile 25 on this map

• edited September 21, 2018 6:58PM

I haven’t run this by @Coach Patrick in my TSR, but As long as you think one can recover from huge week at Al camp in time to put serious work i here, consider me committed (and considering the overlap in the rosters, I guess it is enough time) 🎉😄. I can send cash deposit when needed.

i can drive over in one long day, so this seems perfect (with much less stuff packed than in a Snowmass 2018 😜).

i would be very interested in starting early & doing that giant 6 gaps ride.

Thanks a centillion for putting this together @scott dinhofer !!

• edited October 31, 2018 3:24PM

Bumping this up on people's lists to consider for next year. as of now we have 4 ENers listed above including myself.

Love to hear from ANY Eners that might want to consider this before I offer this up to a few outsiders that have expressed interest to me in joining the fun!

• Scott,

New to the group. How far are you from Bromley (Peru, VT)have a place in Bromley Villiage. Still looking if the date works on my end. One of my kids may have HS Graduation. But if I could get the dates to work. Would love to connect with others doing IMLP 2019.

• Hey Brian, Welcome to EN! I plan to attend 2019 Hoof camp & happy to hear you are interested too! I've never been to the camp location, so I'll let @scott dinhofer say for certain the answer to you question. But based on what I can tell, camp is only about a 40 minute drive from Bromley Village in Peru, VT (~30 miles). I am not doing IMLP 2019 (I'm doing IMMT 2019 because it fits my schedule better, and I think it is an easier course. ha!), but I am excited to be a part of the inaugural Hoff camp! It sounds like it will be an ton of fun!

• @Brian McCartan wheres home for you? I'm about 40 mins from bromley village, I pass you on my way over from coming up via hoosick. It would be great if you joined us at the camp, even for the final weekend.

sdinhofer@gmail.com. maybe we can grab a few runs this winter. I usually ski okemo.

• @scott dinhofer home base is Doylestown, PA. We head up to Bromley most weekends from Dec to March . All based on Snow conditions :). Would love to connect up to ski. I picked up Telemarking this year and loving it.

• @Brian McCartan - passed by midday on my way out today. clocked it the other night, it's only about 30', of course better if you come and stay at the lake for camp hoff!

where in bromley are you? on the mtn, or in peru? which would make you closer to me...

• Update on Camp Hoff, first post in this thread edited

Vermont is spectacular in late June and we do offer two things you we don't have at Al Camp: a lake and copious amounts of Oxygen!! That said, we still offer epic climbs, epic views & an epic experience to be shared by all!

Rides will be anywhere from 35 - 132 Miles. The 132 is going to be the VT Six Gaps ride

here is a sampling of the routes. We are working out a less ambitious six gaps ride for those that would like to do a shorter route of 3-4 gaps.

Note the Ascutney & Okemo ride below contains two mountain top out & back roads. Do one, do none or do both!

Saturday's ride is a catered event sponsored by Long Trail Ale including a great party with food & bands at their brewery post ride. Everyone will need to sign up for this in advance. Ride options are 20/40/60/100/ Hard 100 complete with stocked aid stations, markings and lots of riders.

As of now, we have myself, Rob "Gronk" Peters; Andy Lustigman, Steve Boer & Al Truscott and likely a friend who is doing IMLP as well. 

You can view the house at this link https://www.vrbo.com/1262284

given that three rooms have queen beds, the opportunity to bring a non-riding spouse / partner is wide open. 

Six Gapshttps://ridewithgps.com/routes/26802225

Ascutney & Okemohttps://ridewithgps.com/routes/28280337

45/2900https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26802207

73/3700https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26841488

63/4000https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27505175

95/6300https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28873096

81/5300https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27599379

68/5400https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28533471

as you can see with the routes above we can call an audible as a group and plan out a route the night before. only thing to remember when looking at maps is that the majority of the roads are dirt/gravel (on the maps), the rides listed above are 100% paved roads

Love to hear from anyone that is considering this.

Airports that are a 2 mi drive include Boston, Albany NY, Hartford CT & Burlington VT. Also, with 4 attendees living in close proximity to each other in Westchester & No Jersey, we can easily have people come to NYC area airports and caravan up to the house on Tuesday Night.

Attendees thus far

Myself, @Al Truscott , @Steve boer @Andrew Lustigman and a local friend of mine. @tim cronk & Heather are threatening to show up with their pooch kids and I am hoping to suck @Coach Patrick to take the short drive from his home for a day or two!

• edited January 30, 2019 7:52PM

AWESOME! Thanks for the update @scott dinhofer ! I’m excited! Awesome to hear @Al Truscott is joining and that we might get a visit from @tim cronk and @Coach Patrick !

I see that early bird registration for the Long Trail Brewery group ride is open. We all have to "raise" $125 in donations for the worthy cause. It looks like groups of people can raise money as a "team" too. Should we consider making a fundraising team? If 6 of us just put in our required $125, that would be a decent sized (IMHO) team contribution and could be a little free PR for the team.

According to the email I just got from an event representative, early bird registration lasts until 6/1, so that is nice. :)

• @Larry Peters really hate to miss this but I must attend Leadville Camp!

• My excuse is that I will be in Ireland!

• Totally understandable @tim cronk , thanks for update! Hopefully I can meet you at some other fun event in the future.

• This looks great but My A race IM is on June 9th.  Maybe in the future.  Eager to see photos.

• @Robert Sabo - come up for a few days of "recovery" and camaraderie after your success! room for Mrs Sabo who would love the lake!

• What SABO not doing IMLP? I wanted to see SABO vs. THE HOFF go head to
    head in IMLP.
  • @tim cronk - last time that happened we were both sitting in T1 together having grabbed the wrong bags from the rack #amateurhour

Rob crushed me as usual on the run!

• Per the emails, we now have 7 total participants(5 EN) & room for one more in the house and if we had 3-4 interested folks we could relieve the stuffing of my house and rent one of the homes 100 yards away for twice the space (and fun)

the week is shaping up to look like this:

Tuesday June 18 - Drive up to the house from wherever, arrive evening.

Wednesday, 60 mile loop with optional out and back climbs of Ascutney & Okemo, Ascutney is a 3.7 mile 2300 vertical climb with avg grade of 12%, apparently both climbs once had bike races on them.

Thursday - Six Gaps (or Four gaps ride) or for the real faint of heart, two gaps, Bring a change of clothes and we'll hit up a dining option in Woodstock VT on the way back as it's an hour drive to the launch point. The drive out and back will allow us to preview some of Saturday's ride route.

Friday - Ez day, we'll do an audible on the day's activities, Can be everything from a 30ish mile recovery ride, to a focused long swim on the lake, playing with lake toys or hitting a nearby MTB park at Okemo or Killington. We could also plan a trail run/ power hike among the Killington range which is VTs 2nd highest peaks. could do a car drop for a really cool one way adventure!

Saturday - Vermont Adaptive/ Long Trail Brewery Ride, choose the 40 mile, 60 mile, 100 mile or 100 Hard Route. Register by 6/1 and get a free Killington Lift ticket that I will buy from you. Great party with bands, etc at Long Trail Brewery after the ride.

Sunday - short ride option/ lunch, depart.. if all driving in the same direction, will pick a rally point for a lunch on the way home.

For those looking for running routes, here's a typical run that can be shortened. the East side of the lake is a dirt road that is less trafficked. I can also come up with good routes of most any mileage. Just going North on Rt 100 is a nice out and back that goes along a string of lakes.

• The final roster is complete for this event - but we have room for 1-2 more people. any one interested in coming to Vermont for a few days in June?

• Scott - had a change in plans at work ... was supposed to be opening a new hospital June 25 so I was out but now it is delayed to August so my calendar has opened up. Would love to make this happen as my in laws are in NH. Is there still availability? Thanks