Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Cicely Wallis Official Coach Thread

edited November 25, 2019 12:26PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

@cicely wallis -

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I raced with you guys in 2016 and had the race of my life at Ironman Chattanooga despite reacord high temps--I got a 11:47 and PR'd by 3 hours and got 4th in the 30-34 age group. I also was one roll down slot away from Kona (definitely didn't expect that!). Since Ironman I was asked to join a local amateur sponsored triathlon team and have mainly been racing sprint and olympic tris that last 2 years. I compete at a competive level in my area, usually placing in the top 5 overall for women or 1st/2nd in my age group (35-40). I also just recently came back from some minor injuries but have been feeling good the last 6 months--enough so to run a qualifying Boston Marathon time of 3:33:04 at Rock n Roll New Orleans--I hope to go to Boston for the first time next year (last time I qualified I missed the cut off by 9 seconds!!!! Complete heartbreak).  I would like to work on getting my bike faster--I'm always working on my run. I plan to do Ironman UK July 2019 and am considering staying with you guys for training through to that race. I run 3-4 times a week--speed, tempo, easy, long.

I bike about 2-3 times a week--speed, my indoor cycling RPM class (which is hard!), and one long ride if I'm not racing over the weekend.

I hardly ever swim...I swam a lot during my IM training with y'all last time and got better, but honestly, I HATE getting my hair wet...lol.

I do Les Mills BOdy Pump (Stength training) and a core class 2-3 times per week. I feel like I am between intermediate and advanced on the training plans, and like the push of trying to be advanced.

Your Races

• 05/20/2018  (Sprint) Crawfish Man in Bush LA
  • 06/02/2018  (sprint)  Grandman Fairhope. AL
  • 07/28/2018  A race: Heart O Dixie Triathlon Olympic  

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on May 10, 2018
  • On 5/7/2018 Load the Intermediate Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/29/2018
  • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/12/2018
  • On 8/13/2018 Load the Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/21/2018
  • On 10/22/2018 Load the Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 10/29/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/3/2019
  • On 2/4/2019 Load the Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 4/14/2019
  • On 4/15/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 4/28/2019
  • On 4/29/2019 Load the -- EN*Full to end on 7/14/2019
  • On 7/15/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/11/2019
  • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/9/2018
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/7/2018
  • Do the Santa Rosa Island Tri on Saturday, October 6th & Southern Magnolia 100 bike ride on 10/07/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

Coach Notes - Please See My Video For You

Big plans for you, and a great build. All of my comments are in the video for you, and you now have the SC plan in your account to start syncing with your training!  Looking forward to our coach call: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now? 

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    @Cicely Wallis Are you all set right now? Want to make sure you are good...
  • Options
    Yes! The call with Brenda clarified some things and I really like the updates to EN!
  • Options
     B)  Yay, thank you! It’s great to see your workouts rolling in. Let’s keep it up.
  • Options
    The plan sounds and looks great! I am working on moving workouts around in Final Surge. Ideally, I would like to bike on Tuesday (my set indoor cycling class), Wednesday (a harder workout with the guys), and Saturday (long). Running wise I have a group of friends that motivates me that I would like to continue meeting. Those run days are on Tues/Thurs/Sunday--I can try to fit swimming in on the MWF schedule. I think if I can hit 2 of the swims each week that would be amazing.

To answer your questions: What will make you consider 2018 a success? For me, if I can hit most of my workouts (including swimming) and continue to be injury free. I would really like to place in the top 3 at Heart O Dixie Triathlon.

What's your biggest limiter right now? Right now it is work. In 5 days that will be done and I'll have 9 weeks to focus on my priorities: #1 Family, #2 Training.

Once I get a little more free time I'll be better able to keep up with the data and once again become a smart EN athlete!
  • Options
    Cicely - You already are a smart young athlete! :-)

Take a look at your calendar I like how you laid it out. The only thing I can think about with the swimmers is that you pick either Wednesday or Monday. In my world I’d rather have used him on Monday and is recovering from the weekend with your cross training, and if you can still some on Wednesday it’s a bonus.

If you get a Wednesday and after the hard ride you’re tired then you can chill. I’m assuming as the weather gets nicer and they’re like it’s better, that Wednesday ride might get a little longer/hard her. So it will be nice to leave some room for that to grow. Otherwise things look fantastic! Keep it up.
  • Options
    @Cicely Wallis

Great call...thanks for your time!!! Here are my thoughts for you. 

• The heat is kicking in, so morning workouts -- remember to use your HRM as you are able so that paces don't discourage or destroy you. Even if the paces slow in the heat, the training effect is there with the conditions!
    • Start saving for a waterproof HRM for 2019....just saying!
    • You averaged 15 miles a week for May....let's stay at that for June as you start the Bike Focus plan. So run don't go nuts....
    • Please get me the date for the October Century with your girlfriends. My guess is we'll dial in a weekly ride (or two) into the Run Durability Program as we go! 

For Coach Notes: 
    • Had a bad piriformis issue after last ironman. 
    • Was going to sign up for Louisville 20189....but building up bike strength first. 
    • Will boston in 2019 but likely not race a 26.2 again. 
    ~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options
    The Southern Magnolia 100 bike ride is Sunday, October 7th.
    I have 2 more sprint triathlons that are tri club team commitments: Cultivation Nation on Saturday, August 25th & Santa Rosa Island Tri on Saturday, October 6th (Not bothered about racing and doing the 100 mile ride the next day). I'll probably do a winter half marathon but I haven't picked one yet. I wouldn't mind getting a PR in that distance if it's possible, so better than a 1:36.

Looking into the waterproof HRM :-)

Good speaking with you today!imageimageimage
  • Options
    @Cicely Wallis - i added the other stuff into your calendar; we'll need to connect post IM as I (coach) want you to do the Run Durability Program. So that means we'll need to "hack" the RDP program when we get there. 

For now, keep up the good work!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Cicely Wallis

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    @Coach Patrick

I only got a couple workouts in last week because we were in Desting for a beach vacation. Feeling rested and ready to get in some quality training! I also purchased my waterproof HRM as well as a used Cervelo P5--I get fitted Wednesday! So excited!!!

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

Swim Fitness: 2

Bike Fitness: 3

Run Fitness: 2

Weight / Body Composition: 3

** Subjective Information **

What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? I'm swimming at least once per week!

In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? I need to dive into the forums and watch the weekly videos more--now that I am getting my workouts through my phone on final surge rather than keeping up with them in my notebook, it seems like I'm not as engaged with the learning side of EN.

Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? ABSOLUTELY! ALREADY HAVE. :-)

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

Learn Big in our Video Course Section, where Coach Patrick is building our new library of EN Video Lessons to make sure you are 100% up to speed on our most critical topics.

Learn Quick in the Question and Answer Central, where your fellow teammates work together to give you the best possible answer to your questions (one at a time please)!

Learn Deep by Exploring the EN Wiki, the repository of all things taught and learned by EN. There is more info in there than you could read in a year, so pace yourself! Worst case scenario, go to the All Pages section and use "Control +F" on your keyboard to search for the most relevant article.
  • Options
    Cicely -

Thank you so much for the update, and congratulations  on all of your upgrades! Super exciting. All I wanted was the heart rate monitor and you got a new bike? You’re going to have to teach me more of those ninja negotiating skills.  🎉 

Just a quick warning that getting used to a new bike can take some time. The Cervelo is a great model and rides very smoothly. One of the best designed triathlon bike’s ever. Don’t worry so much about the changes and wives her heart rate, focus instead on making sure that bikes deals right and you were comfortable on it, and the strength and speed will come.

When you get a chance, please post a picture!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

Sorry that I have been out of the loop lately--I have been getting in most of my workouts but the summer break has definitely had me off the computer and so I haven't been checking in as much. Here's an update so far: It took 2 bike fittings but I think I have the new bike fit dialed in. Now I'm just trying to get used to the climbing and handling of it--I love it though. It feels really good, especially on the flats! And...no hip/back pain! Yay! I was feeling REALLY good at the end of last week and then I went out of town to Atlanta with the hubs and kids and I wasn't able to get in as many workouts and we ate out a lot and once we got back I feel like I have taken 2 steps back. Feeling like I needed to "catch up" I got in a nice swim/bike/run on Friday and then a little race rehearsal on Saturday. The humidity has me running with soaking wet feet and I had to cut my long run a little short today because I could feel a blister developing and I don't want that going into the Heart O Dixie Olympic Tri at the end of the month. The goal over the next 2 weeks is to get my green dots, recover and eat well. Heart O dixie will be HOT and HUMID. I plan on using my ice bag for the run to help keep me cool. Not sure exactly what my run race pace should be...I've been able to run 8-8:30 pace off the bike in the heat but I just feel terrible by mile 3 and the pace wanes or I end up walking a bit...it makes me feel like I don't know how I'm going to do 6.5 (it's not really 7). Should I hold back on the first mile and then try to just hold steady??? I think I would feel great about averaging an 8:15 or so pace but feel like I should be able to run sub 8...I guess as long as I can keep my heart rate below 150 I'm good. That seems to be my sweet spot. When I get over 150 I feel like I can't push any longer...

Ok, I plan on updating again next Sunday!
  • Options
     No worries on the updates! Sometimes it can be a little complicated with life. That’s the best part about these forms is that we can still stack them up in order.

Green dots is exactly what we want – consistency! That is the key.

Rather than worry about pace I would go by that heart rate number. Racing the heat on the run is always a balance of what is possible versus what you can handle.  Every race has a point where you can just say “screw it“ and just push to the finish but until you hit that point managing things is more important than being aggressive. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

Unfortunately I have had to make some changes in my personal and professional life over the last couple of weeks and have decided to take some time off from super focused triathlon training. Ironman UK is no longer an option for me and I think I will plan on IM Florida for 2019. I am going to take the next 4-5 months off and hopefully sign up with EN in May of 2019. Thank you for all of your help the last couple of months! I will be back. 
  • Options
    Cicely - 

Thank you so much for the note. I just saw your cancellation, and I totally understand. If there’s anything we can help you do will you fill this gap please let me know.

As a reminder, we do have training plans now for running and cycling and other activities all available online through FinalSurge.

You could modify your account just to access the plans only if that’s an option. Happy to go through this I look forward to seeing you when you get back!

Coach Patrick  
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Gulf Coast (2020-05-09) #70.3GC_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 29, 2019
    • ✅ On 11/25/2019 Load the -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019
    • ✅ On 12/23/2019 Load the -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/19/2020
    • ✅ On 1/6/20 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • ✅ On 2/23/2020 Load the EN Half, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 5/10/2020
    • ✅ On 5/11/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/24/2020

155 Mata Way, Suite 104, San Marcos, CA 92069THE

Your Notes

Hi Again. I first became a member of EN in 2016. I completed IM Chattanooga in 11:47, I did IM Florida in 2008 in 14:47 (no coach, no idea what I was doing actually). I have done several half ironmans with my best time being 5:15 at Chattanooga in 2015 (I think). I have been racing on a local triathlon team 4-6 sprint triathlons each year since 2016. I qualified for thee Boston Marathon in 2018 and completed that Marathon in 2019; however, I was injured 3 weeks before this race and a MRI confirmed that I have 3 bulging discs in my back and at L3/L4 I have stenosis which causes constant pain. I had an epidural and worked with a PT and I was able to complete Boston using a 2 minute jog/2 minute walk routine and finished in around 4:37--I was ecstatic considering I was dragging my left leg 3 weeks prior and in constant pain. Since Boston I have been the least motivated I have ever been in my life when it comes to training. I was signed up for IM Florida 2019 but the injury made me forego it--I didn't want to flare anything up and this strategy has worked. I continued with PT for another 9 weeks after Boston and am now virtually pain free; however, my overall training is much less than it used to be.The last month I have only run 2 Sundays (my long run group day) and have managed to do 10 miles around a 8:45 pace, but I haven't been running my normal Tues/Thurs weekly runs. I haven't been in the pool for months. I teach a 45 min indoor cycling class that is pretty tough weekly but sometimes I teach it more than once per week. I get out on my tri bike about once/week for 15-20 miles. I also teach a weekly 30 minute core specific class followed by 30 minutes of foam rolling and stretching. I manage to get in at least 1 full hour strength training session/week, sometimes 2 times if I'm not too busy with family stuff. I feel like I am transitioning into another stage of my family life where I am much more active with my kids, ages 7 and 10, and so I can easily put off training to spend more time with them. I'm hoping thaat EN will keep me motivated and hold me accountable. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Great comments and the plan looks great! I agree with all of the suggestions. I will play with final surge a bit and work on giving rankings and feedback for each workout. :-)

• Options
    Sounds like a plan. I think you’ll find Final Surge is pretty robust once
    you dive in!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Good morning! I loaded the Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/19/2020 but when I clicked on the coaches notes it still said 9 months out. Can you make sure I have the correct plan loaded? It looks pretty similar to what I had already been doing which is highly manageable. I am definitely building my training habits back up! :-)

Merry Christmas!!!!

• Options

@Cicely Wallis

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Cicely Wallis - you did load the plan correctly. That’s just my error from when I created the second installment of the place. The numbers look good to me I hope you feel good too!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Cicely Wallis

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Cicely Wallis got your Month Three check in notes (below).

So pleased to hear that you are integrated with Zwift right now. I really really encourage you to start chatting using the Mobile Companion app (ZMC) on your phone when you are riding. I find that really makes the experience that much more fun...and engaging. Hopefully that will help you "grow" your presence there -- and your fitness too! 💪

~ Coach P

Month Three Status Update from Cicely Wallis

Rate Your Fitnesss (Scale of 1 to 3):

Your Swim: 2

Your Bike: 3

Your Run: 3

Body Composition: 2

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? I have had 4 weeks consistent training and I can feel my fitness coming back slowly. I am eating better (more mindfully) and I set up my Zwift account to be able to do an extra indoor ride consistent with my plan (this is huge because I HATE the trainer). I just need to execute those rides.

How Else Can We Help You? I'm not exactly sure...I have such a busy life that it is hard keeping up with everything on EN, checking the forum, plan, etc. I really like taking things at a slow pace. The check in e-mails have been good to keep me on track.

If you could Change one thing about your Endurance Nation experience, what would it be? nothing--I just need to be more involved and check in more often.

• Options

Just checking in. I was supposed to do the Gulf Coast 70.3 this weekend, so I opted on completing the IM VR5 last weekend and was happy with my effort. I have been able to train consistently since I am working from home and can make my own schedule. I opted to defer Gulf Coast to Nov. 7th (If that even happens). I am planning on uploading the post half ironman transition plan soon but was wondering what you think I should do after that? I was thinking recover from the 70.3 and then start working on getting faster with my running (thinking 5k/10k) since I have been virtually pain free regarding my back and then transition back to a 70.3 plan? I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.

• Options

@iluvluc - good God you are independent! I love it. Yes, you absolutely should load up the post race plan for at least one week. Since you didn't do the full event at race pace, including a taper, you don't have that deep of a hole to climb out of in terms of fatigue. We still want to listen to your body, which is why at least one week of rest is important.

When you come back, from the rest week, we have two options.

Option #1 is our Run Specificity Plan, which is a six week block with volume and intensity similar to a half iron.

Option #2 is using one of our 5K or 10K training plans as your platform for improving the run. More often than not, I recommend going back to the shorter distance to build speed safely. From there, we can add volume on top of the existing speed to bring it out to the longer distances. Our newest 5K plans are approximately 12 weeks long, so you could easily do something like 6 to 8 weeks of the end of that plan which would be sufficient.

Think finish this week.

Rest Week.

5/25 Start either Run Focus or 5k Plan for 6 to 8 weeks, including 5k test at end (regardless of the one you choose)

7/6 or 7/20 We start the refocusing period!

How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

Sounds great! I will rest and then take a look at both plans and make a decision. I am still biking pretty steady and would like to keep up my 2-2.5 hour bike rides each weekend. Thank you for the feedback!

• Options

Great! Those "medium-long" rides on the weekend are a great way to complement your midweek work. Bottom line that much time in the saddle is a win. Remember as you head outside:

• We do want your nutrition to be on point, So start early and watch your "mood"...bad or dipping mood usually is a calorie issue. 🤣
    • Keep that cadence up..it's easy to start grinding at the end as you fatigue.
    • Pace yourself so the last 20%, 25% and eventually 30% of your ride is strong. That's where the fitness happens!!! 👍

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey, Coach!

Post run focus plan update: I did really well following the plan for a few weeks and then some family trips and a case of strep throat messed me up for a few weeks. I finished the plan on June 28th. There was a local duathlon (5k run/11 mile bike/1 mile run) and decided to use the run as my 5k test. In short, the course was hillier than my 1st 5k test and it was 100% Mississippi humidity and heat and I averaged the exact same pace as the 1st 5k. I woke up feeling pretty tired that morning as well and not in the mood to race and go figure a couple of days later my throat was sore and I tested positive for strep. I have been taking it pretty easy this last week, but I have managed some strength workouts and a couple good bike rides. I feel like I am ready to refocus and begin training for the 70.3 on Nov. 7th (if that even happens, but I feel like I need something to keep me on track). Not sure exactly what plan to use. I do know that I will begin working again on August 6th and I won't have as flexible a schedule as I do now. Other than the 70.3, I am planning on a local sprint triathlon on August 22nd (Cultivation Nation) and the SRI Tri on October 3rd in Pensacola, FL. Hope you and your family are well!

Cicely

• Options

@Cicely Wallis - I have to say, I feel like that is a net win if you can go that fast in those conditions! I say nicely done! I'm glad you're taking it down we can that's really important. I think the next step for us is to load the 70.3 minimalist plan for you to start training towards November. I see the minimalist plan as this will give you lots of flexibility with your upcoming work schedule. I have gone ahead and loaded this into your account, so you should be all set. Take a look when you get a chance and let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for loading that plan for me! I have looked it over and just wondering if it would be ok if I made a few rearrangements. I normally run on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and run long on Sundays. I bike long on Saturday. Any problem with me moving the Thursday long run to Sunday? I can try to get that extra bike ride in on Sunday afternoon--I used to do this in the past. Just curious if I really should put a lot of focus on keeping the weekend for biking only, because I am a creature of habit and I love my Sunday running group. Any advice is appreciated.