Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Endurance Nation Training Plans Have a New (Interactive!) Home with Final Surge

Comments

• Options
    Can we see more than the next 4 weeks of the training plan we’re on so we can plan ahead/book time off work for “big weekends” or “camp weeks”?
  • Options
    Yes.  If you click on the weeks button at the top of the calendar you will get several options to choose from.
  • Options
    If we have "access" to the plans, what about switching back and forth between plans?  I assume it loads a plan onto our calendar for us to use.  What if we want to look at a different plan for some reason.  Does it then overwrite our current plan, and then rewrite it when we switch back?
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis yes, you can switch between plans.  I discovered, by accident, that when you load a new plan it will actually layer it over the previous plan rather than replacing it.  If the timeframes of the two plans overlap, the calendar will actually show the workouts for both plans.  So, if you're switching from one plan to the next and didn't complete the previous plan, you need to remove it when adding the next plan to avoid this.
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis @John Katsoudas

Another way to look at different training plans without loading onto your calendar is (on the App) goto Menu, Endurance Nation, EN Training Plans. Scroll to a plan and select view. You see each day/week. It should be similar on a computer and will have a better view. 
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how to find the training plans on FS? I became a member a couple of hours ago, but don't see any training plans for EN. Do I have to wait a little while, or should it be showing up right away?
  • Options
    I figured it out!!!
  • Options

What's up with EN workout wall on Final Surge? It seems a bit lame 😀 and not many people are using it. What am I missing? One of the reasons I have come to love Strava is for the banter and Kudos of specific workouts with data, maps, pictures, etc.

Can we collectively up the game? (or is this already being done and I am not part of the cool kids club!!)

• Options
    Patrick -

We haven't really promoted the workout wall...I am open to your ideas
    though on how to make it happen!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

hey @Coach Patrick I am not sure- Are most people using Final Surge? If so I would think that it would be automatic to use the wall.

There does get a point though when there are so many redundancies. Strava does it automatically and if I am not mistaking you need to actively post to the wall. Is there a way to import our Strava EN group to that wall?

• Options

I’ve been using FS for a few weeks now. I like it but can’t figure something out- the colors. Everything is supposed to be grey until you do the planned wko. Then it’s supposed to turn green, yellow, or red depending on how much of the wko is completed. I went in and customized my color zones, but ALL my wko’s show up as blue for swim, green for bike, and grey for run- both the ones in the future and ones that are complete.

It shouldn’t be a big deal and if it’s unfixable, I can live with it. But the OCD in me wants it to be right.

Any advice??

thx!

• Options

@Leslie Knight Looking at the "Customize Activity Option" under "Workouts", it seems like you;d have to create a *New* workout type, assign a color to that, and then convert each individual workout to that new type. Or, you could assign color customization is for workout sub-types. All our workouts are listed as "No Sub-Type" for which there is no customization option. To get different colors, you'd have to go into EACH workout and give it a sub-type, and then also assign colors to each sub-type? But I suspect that you'd rather spend your time on other things?

• Options
    edited September 27, 2018 12:05AM

@Leslie Knight https://blog.finalsurge.com/workout-completion-color-coding/ This may be what you asking about. You essentially have to opt in to have this feature. Training Peaks has this feature if you have a coach writing plans. The color code after completion tells you if you did the WKO as planned. I think this is the same.

• Options

curious how many people are still keeping their TP accounts live? I DO find value in the PMC etc, but am finding that the FS logging is incredibly redundant with TP... am I missing a similar functionality(performance management chart & tracking CTL and all the metrics that does) in FS that would allow me to fully migrate over?

or is there an easy way to export the workouts from FS and import to TP?

• Options

@scott dinhofer I don't think you are missing anything. In @Coach Patrick introduction to FS he did mention that maybe they are working on something similar to TP in terms of PMC, CTL and the other metrics. I am also trying to decide if I should drop TP. (So many subscriptions!) We get pretty used to monitoring our training through those numbers. But do they really make us better athletes? I think we all know the answer is consistent work and appropriate rest and FS gives us a record of that. With that said, I still have TP!!

• Options

@Sid Wavrin depends where you are on the spectrum. I am friends with Jordan Rapp who is a total data geek. He's given me some TP tips as far as the PMC, one of them is to never change your inputs... this way you can truly compare this year's fitness to last year's the only time to potentially change it is at the older end of the curve where age does start slowing you down and you really need a comparison of year to year...

I DO find that incredibly useful

• Options

On my side, I dropped, TP and Strava.

When you add TP, Strava, Zwift, you closely get to 40-50$ for redundant data IMO..

• Options

It was toggling the completion button on!!! I had done that before, but I think my zones were jacked up. Now zones are good and button has been toggled.

Colors are showing. OCD is satisfied.

Thanks, team!

• Options

I will probably terminate Training Peaks. I like looking at the CTL and ATL, but I rest when I’m tired, not when the graph says to.

• Options

Subscriptions are not only a constant dollar drain, but carry the risk of the site going away and all your data being lost. I rely on my Mac-based program WKO (which is made by Training Peaks) to follow my PMC metrics. It also has WAY more functionality than TP, being totally user programable to produce a dizzying number of charts. It cost me $100 three years ago. I don't pay pay monthly fee to TP. You do the math...

I view Final Surge as an integral part of EN because: The EN training plans are all there; I can quickly move individual workouts across days and weeks at will "self-coaching"); Coach P can stalk me or look at any of my workouts and make comments directly; I do not view it as anything other than part of my monthly fee to EN.

I have yet to find Frodo's app: the one analytic tool to rule them all. I use a combination of the free sites from Garmin, Stryd, Strava, along with FS and WKO to give me a braodfer, more nuanced picture of how I'm doing and where I'm going.

• Options

I have subscription to TP, FS (bargain, as part of team membership) and Strava. I got the Strava subscription when I updated my Garmin devices bc I though the Live Segment feature would be fun. I’m finding it to be nothing but an annoyance. It hijacks my screen when I come to a segment (I had to remember to “un-star” all the IMLP segments before the race). So, I guess if I’m not using this feature, I’ll probably go back to the free version. @Al Truscott If I get WKO, can I upload my many years of data to the program? That’s the main reason I keep TP...I have had it the longest, and I like being able to look back and compare.

• Options

Yes, what Alicia says! I do not have FS yet. I do have TP and almost all of my tri career data is there, and would hate to lose it all. I have no need for all the wko bells and whistles (it would just confuse me!) but if it gives me a way to import my data and a place to keep it that would be worth it for a one time fee that is about the same as the yearly fee.

Following!

• Options

@Alicia Chase @Trish Marshall

Alicia and Trish. Yes - you can import all of your Training Peaks data.

But WKO4 has a different look an feel than Training Peaks.

See a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pub13P789lM&index=5&list=PLOhzd0zmrJzn3skGICU-jM_bzecPQuAjC

I have FS, TP and WKO4. FS and TP are the most alike. They are both calendar based and provide graphs of the individual workouts and some limited trend graphs analysis.

WKO is more focused on finding unique trends and data analysis and less on calendar. It also will model FTP for you and suggest individualized intervals. But, all of these features and customization comes at a cost of additional complexity.

For example, comparing your long ride from last year to your long ride this year is a bit harder in WKO4 because the software is designed around finding trends over set time periods like: this year, last year, last 180 days, last 90 days not to compare individual workouts. You can write a string of code to view those particular workouts or search for a chart from the chart library where someone has already figured it out.

Which one you like/use (FS, TP, WKO4) depends on how much you use or view your data.

You can make WKO4 "look like Training Peaks" if all you are looking for is the Performance Management Chart, HR and power charts and graphs. But, you won't have access to your data from the web or the app like you have with Training Peaks. WKO4 is only on the desktop (Mac or PC). But you do have a lot of the same charts and graphs available with the FS app.

PM me if you want talk more about the PRO / CON.

• Options

Hmmm... @matt limbert I didn’t consider the fact that WKO4 wouldn’t be available on all of my devices. I probably access TP and FS from my phone or iPad 95% of the time. Maybe if FS gains many of the same metrics TP has, I’d buy WKO4 and upload all my TP data so that I have it in perpetuity, but would still have an app (FS) to refer to on the fly.

• Options

Does anyone know why Strava and Final Surge short chance me on time for my runs? My Garmin will show let's say 52:00 and only 48:00 will post to Stava/Final Surge.

What am I missing? What setting is screwed up?

Any ideas?

• Options

@Patrick Large It's possible that it is a difference between moving time and total time. Is the distance and pace the same on all platforms?

• Options
    edited October 8, 2018 12:02PM

@Patrick Large I checked a run I did yesterday. I know my elapsed time was longer than my moving time because I stopped a couple of times. I thought @Sid Wavrin was prob right, but I had the same time—just off by one second—on Garmin, Strava and FS. I’m assuming you are uploading to Garmin Connect, which pushes your data to Strava and FS. I’m wondering if your Garmin is losing the satellite signal and when the file uploads, it’s missing chunks of distance. Garmin may automatically connect the dots to correct the data, but Strava, particularly, is fussy about missing data because people try to cheat on segments. Maybe have your Garmin re-acquire the satellites, or do a soft reset to see if that fixes the problem.

• Options

@Alicia Chase thanks so much. Super helpful

• Options

@Sid Wavrin I thought the same thing but I usually don't stop. even if I walk, it isnt a snails pace walk at registers as like a 10:00/km pace.

• Options

I finally joined FS and am trying to put my plan in there. I did my power zones (bike) and pace zones (run) but it keeps saying that I don't have any zone information and therefore will not give me the information in the training plan. What am I doing wrong???