Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona Sunscreen Strategy

Need help from the Kona vets on skin protection ... especially on race day.

I hear BullFrog is a good product.  Any others you'd recommend?

When do you apply, and how often do you reapply?

Did you use the race-provided sunscreen station or use your own?

Has anyone carried a block of sunscreen on the bike?

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    First off, I've only gotten burned in two places there. When I was wearing a sleeveless tri top, I would *always* get burnt on my exposed upper back, no matter now much or how often I applied screen. Switching to a sleeved suit, of course solved that problem. But 6 hours more or less with a flat back exposed to the tropical noon-day sun was a killer. The other time was also when I was wearing a tri top and shorts. On a 2.5 hour training ride, the top hiked up above the top of the shorts in the back, and I had a diamond-shaped tattoo from the burn there for two years. Again, a one-piece or bibs solves that. But if you are wearing two-piece sleeveless, be aware, especially with your skin.

As to product and timing...the other parts (face, legs, arms) I went with one application before the race of Neutrogena 70 SPF. I also put a spray can of Neutrogena 55 in my T2 bag, and spritzed myself while trotting along Kuikini during the first mile, then handing the can to one of the many spectators. I always went there after several weeks in CO, with its high-altitude sun, so I was pretty melanized by the time I got to the Island. YMMV.

One thing I have always noted is the white underbelly of the forearms. Riding aero exposes this usually hidden skin, and it can get burnt if not attended to diligently.
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin I used to use a product called Scape but it has been discontinued, probably did more harm than good but it worked awesome.  I think you are good as long as it has zinc oxide in it.  I like to put a very thin layer on before bed, then another thin layer on first thing when I wake race morning, then re-apply after the race tattoo goes on, wearing a long sleeve race kit is key, you could even use arm coolers on the bike to cover fore arms, so I dont even think about re-applying until the run , then I always have a sample size  suncreen in T2 but never end up using it as the run is almost always  cloudy but good to have just in case. 
  • Options
    Bull Frog Gel sunscreen won't make you as hot.

I used this and never got a burn when I was on course for a VERY LONG time in Kona 2016.  B)   I don't like the race supported sunscreen.  It blocks the ability to dissipate heat. You can put a spray can in T2 bag for a quick re-application.  

I believe our @Coach Patrick endorses it.

http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/

• Options

In the past, I've used coppertone sport 30 start to finish.  Applied pre-swim, then in t2, where I grab a Ziploc baggie full of it in my t2 bag, and slater it on my legs, forearms, and face during the first .5 mile of the run, on the fly.  

In the future, I would revise the pre-swim, though, to use a brand without oxybenzone and octinoxate.   I think there are a few preferred brands that are made available (or prominent) during race week. 

• Options
    x2 for Bullfrog. I used it Kona and Cabo last year (both in the 90s, tons of exposure). Not heavy and very durable. No wonder I like it!!!!  :lol:

Bonus it's in a spray too...