Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Traineroad vs Zwift for this years off-season

Just curious where people are leaning towards for this year's OS, as my annual TR subscription comes up soon. Since Zwift has training mode and we have training plans on both, are most people planning on doing these workouts on Zwift, given that there are added benefits for the weekend hang on rides/races?

The only big difference I have noticed between the two from a structured work out in erg mode is that TR seems to try to force less variance around your target numbers, with Zwift I tend to bump my FTP a little higher to ensure the bottom end doesn't provide as much flex.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I did not renew TR this month - in fact, since I started Zwifting last Oct, I've not been back to TR once. The first month or two, I did the EN workouts on Z, along with EN group rides on Sat/Sun, along with a few Zwift group rides and workouts. After that, mostly races.

There's nothing magic about any particular platform; as we say, Work Works. Anything that gets you on the bike and working hard on a regular, consistent basis is the way to go. EN, TR, and Zwift all have progressive, effective workout plans. For folks who have no, or little history of such disciplined, structured training, any of those is a good option (or the combo of EN wkos on TR or Zwift). After 3-4 years of that, I think it's OK to switch up and branch out to new options, like racing on Zwift.

• Options

@Patrick Hayden I never did make the jump to TR but did get on Zwift last year. I can't say for certain what the breakdown is in the house but there was definitely more threads on the Zwift side last year with it being a newer platform. Also with Zwift we have the weekend EN rides which were fun to drop in to and work with a group.

As Al says what ever gets you on the bike.

• Options

Considering that 99% of the team is on Zwift and the social aspect of it, I would not renew TR.

• Options

I was an early adopter of TR many years ago and used to do all of my bike workouts on there (including FTP Tests and all of the EN OS workouts but also integrated Sufferfest videos instead of my Saturday OS bike rides). I spent years telling anyone who would listen that they should be using TR if they ride indoors.

Last yr I tried Zwift and I will never go back to TR. The "gamification" and interaction with "Real" people in the virtual world certainly kept me on my bike longer last winter and made my weekly workouts much more interesting in the spring and summer for my IM build. But I am one of those people that Al was talking about who did nothing but standard Intervals in my bike training for ~6 yrs. So for me, switching that up to more intense "racing" was completely motivating and a nice change of stimulus that I know paid dividends for me on the bike from a pretty high starting point.

• Options

another vote for Zwift... the workouts are great, a huge library and of course having the EN library is helpful as well. I cannot say enough for zwift racing which I have only done a few tmes, but I am working at doing more... the program engages you into the workout like nothing else!

• Options

Swift is a game changer for sure.

• Options

I quit TR last year and find Zwift more fun as well as getting in great work.  However, for just completing the EN workouts exactly as written, TR was better.  That said, doing the same workout on Zwift got the same amount of work or more and was more fun but the graph was more like outdoor training with some variation do to terrain changes and need to change gears.  Racing is a super bonus.  My vote is for Zwift and get rid of TR.

• Options

I was on zwift today and for kicks and giggles wanted to do an 2018 OS workout. They were all gone! What the what?

I have switched to final surge (so yeah the workouts and drop down are gone HERE), but why are the old workouts gone on Zwift? Anyone know why? Or how I can get them back? Or if there is a way to get the OS workouts from 2019 into zwift?

• Options

They are in your Zwift workout folder in documents. You should have been assigned a folder with your id number also in your Zwift workout folder. Open the EN downloaded wkos and individually put them each into that numbered file and they will work. If I didn't explain this well check the Nov OS forum. We just figured this out last week when zwift made a change which did this.

• Options

@Trish Marshall Let me know if you figure it out. I still don't see a folder with ID number assigned.