Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Patrick Hayden 2019 Official Coach Thread

@Patrick Hayden

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Great to have you back...you are SLAYING IT right now. Here's what i suggest. You continue one more week as you are, then we bounce you over to the bike focus plan for a late season boost there...then it's RDP (a slight step back, but OK as we can't sustain this for another 13 months!!!) into the OS and onwards. We can talk more when we get on the phone: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• 04/06/2019 - 1/2 marathon
  • 08/04/2019 70.3 Boulder
  • 11/4/2019 - IM Florida 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 20, 2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/2/2018
  • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/30/2018
  • On 1/7/2019 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/14/2019
  • On 4/15/2019 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on  4/28/2019
  • On 4/29/2019 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on  6/9/2019
  • On 6/10/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Fccused to end on  8/4/2019
  • On 8/5/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  8/18/2019
  • On 8/19/2019 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on  11/3/2019
  • On 11/4/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  12/1/2019
  • On 12/2/2019 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
  • On 12/30/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/26/2020

Your Notes

8 Full IM (Boulder x2, Florida x2, Az, Lake Placid, St. George, & CDA). Several 70.3s, Couple 50m races (7:25 best), several marathons including boston (~3-3:05). Best IM CDA < 11 (relatively consistent), others more in the 12-13 with irregular training. Have gone < 5 in 70.3 (note all 2 years+ old)Took time off for a couple years with work, kids, etc. Kicked training back up this summer, when I changed jobs (now have more time flexibility).

Currently ~35 m/w running @ 6 days a week (3.5 x3, 7x2, 10+x1 - ramping towards 40 by eom) all @ E->TRP. Cycling 4+ x a week OS style with FTP, VO2, ABP, and easy x1+ (all workouts on Zwift). Got a new puppy, and walking/hiking 1.5 m x2 a day over hilly terrain (20-25 min each AM & PM) every day. Swim I haven't done much with, although was hoping to toss back in 1-2 a week at lunch just to loosen things up. No nagging injuries, or pains. Legs are taking in training and pace, power, etc are improving, HR dropping for equivalent efforts (bFTP is within 10% of prior numbers, rPace ~1 min slower @ z1).

Note: Run has always been my strength/background (have maintained 60-70m/w and remained injury free for a few year straight in the past), with bike needing being the area I could improve the most on. Weight loss also in progress, still ~25 lbs to go to get back near race weight.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

As far as my season goals go its pretty straight forward; consistency in training across the disciplines, compete, not complete in the races, and remain injury free.

The first two really go back to my last couple seasons where I didn't keep the consistency up due to work, motivation, family, etc. Now 18 month later, things are more settled, and I am ready to put the hammer back down. As far as injury's go, I haven't had any history of this, but trying to keep myself in the right frame of mind where I don't over extend myself, especially in this ramp up stage.

In my mind success for the 2019 season would be competing in these races vs just finishing them. Note: this doesn't mean trying to qualify, but to be pushing myself throughout the race so at the end of the day I know I gave it what I had.

As to more specifics:

Bike: I would like to see my FTP better then prior seasons. I am already within 10% of that, so this feels quite achievable, with a stretch goal of hitting 3.5+ w/k (15% higher than current state). Bike is where I need to push myself as I can make my biggest gains here.

Run: Push the needle, I came into EN 8 years ago with a 62+ VDOT off of some targeted marathon training. If I had to guess right now based on HR/pace of my last couple long runs, I would say I am sitting at 45+ VDOT, so I would like to try to get back to the low 50s with 54-55 being my stretch goal (made a little easier by still having 25 lbs to lose to get back to race weight).

Swim: This year is just about hitting the pool, my last 2 seasons that was a total of 10 or less swims for the year, I want to be consistently hitting the pool 2-3 times a week. My new schedule knocking 6 runs a week in the AM will help make this possible. 2020 I may looks towards some additional coaching here, but not in '19.

Body Comp: Need to get back down near race weight so have 25 lbs I can easily lose, with maybe another 5 that puts me more to the pointy end. As part of this I also want to do a better job on core/strength training in the off season.

Limiters: Bike has room for large improvement. Swim tends to be the 1st thing I drop when time crunched, so I am trying to work out of locations near the pool I can easily hit for quick lunch swims or after work.

• Options

@Patrick Hayden - thank you for all the detail! In terms of all the things that you want to do, I think putting a laser focus on nutrition now to improve your body composition is the way to go. That is closely followed by the run frequency which will help with both body comp, and getting your Stride back.

We have a good video course on body composition under the learning/course section of the website. I wouldn’t worry too much about the swings right now because we have such a long way to go. I would consider this one day you’re active recovery day, maybe the Monday work out after a long weekend.

• Options

General Update - October

Wrapping, up final week of Bike Focus Block and tested on Tuesday, with a pretty good solid and decently executed FTP test. WKO mFTP & Xert said 253 - 3.2 w/kg (raw test *.95 said 249) so will go with 253 for plans/ERG mode. I did adjust FTP throughout the plan based on updated mFTPs after Zwift races, etc. Overall bumped up FTP by ~10%.

Now I am preparing to swap over to run durability plan, but wanted to validate if I should do the #2 or #3 plan, as I did the bike focus block while maintaining, a 6 day a week run schedule (4, 8, 4, 8, 4, 6-8) [30-35mpw]. So is there a reason to not just jumped into #3 run durability vs 2 as recommended above, as long as I moderate/don't get overly enthusiastic on the tempo, etc. workouts? If that makes sense then I will start to bring up the 6-8 mile run to a long run (which was really the only change I made to the running I was doing prior to this block) and that will bring me back to 40 mpw. Then I would look to Dec to start adding a little more mileage and moving to a 7 day a week schedule and 50 mpw.

I would also like to do at least a little riding (not OS/BFB level), but wanted to validate if 2-3 rides a week makes sense most likely a Zwift race and ABP ride as I didn't see any cycling listed in the durability 3. I just aligned these workouts on my low volume days for run for the current block so would look to do the same if it makes sense.

Nutrition/weight wise I am still on target, but down to those pounds that are always a bit harder to lose. So this will likely be a slower go, over the next few months although upping my mileage and adding back in the long run will help some.

Recovery wise, I have been using my Mondays as that recovery day, doing an easy 4 miles (with my Sunday being my Long VO2/ABP ride day & no run). I also walk 1-2x a day 1.5 miles in the am/pm with the dog. Although I have been swapping out some of the AM walks for the normal shorter run instead (aka the 3, 4 mile runs). This tends to lead to normal out, but progression runs on the way back. I have also been tossing in a 30 min spin on the bike if I had time to just loosen them back off depending on how I feel after work. Some weeks this is none, others weeks 1-2 times a week.

• Options

You can do either one of those RDP plans. I just don’t want you doing more than 30 to 32 miles a week. Keep the long run to 8 miles and just do more short runs as you’re able.

Remember, it’s not that mileage itself that matters as much as the number of runs.

Yes 2 three rides, But I would prefer one race and two steady rides. We don’t need to go that hard before the OS.

Remember part of it we’re trying to do here is establish a baseline to build on. There should be no rush to accelerate a number that you will have to hold all year.

• Options

Thanks for the update, just as a quick point of clarification on the runs during RD plan. Since I have been running 6x a week: 2x8 miles (60 min), 3x4+ miles (30 min), and 1x6-8 (45 min) for ~35 mpw during the bike focus block (and for the prior 2 months to it), should I cut back the mileage during run durability, or should I just aim to hit the time goals in the plan.

The reason I ask, is looking at Run Durability - 3's time goals, and my current z1-TRP, I estimate I would be doing ~40 mpw with a long run of 12 miles. So quite a bit more then you recommended above. In general my easy pace has continued to speed up, and HR is still dropping as well (due to temp, fitness, etc) so I am now averaging 7:45 or less on an easy runs at z1 to TRP HR/Power. Note: I have really been just running based on feel(z1-TRP), vs trying to put in specific workouts, tempo, BAA, etc. however, most workouts tend to be pretty steady state to negative split pace, after 1st mile warm-up. With HR slowly rising but staying below z2, except on tough hills.

I can split the RD3 long run of 1:30:00 session into two or change out to a 7x a week routine if I need to keep from doing anything > 8. However, no matter how I cut it, I think mpw based on time will be 40+ unless I drop duration.

• Options

OK, before I begin it’s important to know that this is definitely an outlier. Most folks don’t show up at the start of the year running 40 miles a week! Advice to follow, but I will be curious to know what your annual average was for mileage per week across last year. If we are close I’m OK with it but there is a chance that you are being too aggressive here and I want to play it safe. So let me know.

As for your training, I agree that we don’t want any run longer than 8 miles. So please split that weekend run since you’re a weekly volume is already so solid.

Remember you can focus on making sure the bikes are consistent as well as adding in some strength work. Dropping to 35 miles a week across seven runs but keeping the bikes up and adding strength still makes you stronger even though the one metric of mileage has dropped.

• Options

Thanks for the update coach, I'll break the long run and just do 7x a week vs going long. Mileage wise, in the last year I was on/off, but prior to this year 40-50 mpw is where I tended hold when not focusing on intensity across disciplines, doing 6.5 a day during the week @ lunch, and then a 13+ mile long run on the weekend. Background wise running is where I have put most my time/focus over the years (HS, college, marathoning, a little ultraing).

Since I was getting back in shape, real focus since the summer has been running consistently 6x a week and slowly working myself back to the 35-40 mpw @ z1-TRP pace, HR, etc. first by measuring myself against time, then mileage as it became a better barometer. Currently HR has been steadily dropping to avg of 140-141 on runs as has pace which now avgs 7:40 if your toss out recovery runs. I haven't tossed in any formal tempo just strides outside of a couple days when I just felt good and body naturally held 6:30-40 pace for 6-8 miles. Weight loss is still in progress, with me within 15 lbs of desired weight (160). As a point of reference, 7:30 - 7:00 is where I typically stabilized for easy pace on 40-50 mpw @ < 170 lbs (within 5 lbs of).

I have been doing the core/upper body routine with some pull-ups/chin-ups added in and will keep on the RD core program, but will start adding in some lunges, squats, etc. for general stability/strengthening of lower body & joints as that tends to stave off potential aches and pains, I occasionally get when stuck on the trainer over the winter.

Cycling wise, I'll stick with your prescription of a race, and 1-2 other steady rides, with some occasional recovery rides/spins tossed in just to loosen the legs. To be honest between those, and the 1-2x mile and a half daily walks with the dog, my legs have felt better then they have in a long time when I head out the door for a run every morning.

• Options

Perfect!!! 2019 looking better by the workout!

💪

coach P

• Options

Wrapping up RD3, on Sunday and will schedule it again for Dec per the plan above. Once I switched over to RD, I started to work on just consistency, so have a run streak going @ about 30 days now. Kept max distance to 8 miles or less per your direction, outside of a beautiful day where I did 11. All workouts were mainly Z1-TRP (80+% of time by HR on hillier terrain), but typically added strides/progression run to end of most, average 7:26 pace for the month. Note: running 7x a week did make it so I averaged 41 mpw, so a bit more then suggested.

I did get in a Turkey Trot and did better than expected, knocking out a 37:20, and lead the race from 3 mile on, with no one to help push me. So I will need to re-adjust my VDOT plans for the year, as I am above original goals at a 56 VDOT w/o any threshold work. I also should be getting close to the end of the "free" speed of weight loss, as I am now within 10 lbs of target weight.

Bike wise I tried to hold to the 3x a week with 1 race/2x15 and 2 steady rides, Kept to it outside of Thanksgiving week where I traveled, same with core/strength training. Bike felt a little harder then when I was in the bike focus block, but FTP seems to be steady, and it was a decent jump up in watts after last test.

No injuries, pains, etc.

Current plan is to do more of the same, for Dec but begin to toss in Tempo x1 per week, with the other tempo being more of a DUSA progression run since it typically happens on my Race/FTP bike day. Week of X-mas will likely be w/o bike but with more trail running @ 9k+ while visiting family.

• Options

Consistency is right! Love that chart, and love what you’re doing there on the run. Honestly, that type of focus is the secret sauce behind your turkey trot performance and your weight progression. I like the idea of doing some tempo, but I agree that we don’t want to do any all out speed work just yet. Why risk it will move already got some great speed?

Let’s see if we can use the tempo to make you stronger and to challenge you in such a way that returning to easier running can bring your benefits again in the future. Another alternative is to use elevations for incline on the treadmill if conditions prevent you from doing tempo.

So December goals include getting that long run two about 8 miles I making sure that happens every weekend. Doesn’t have to be fast we just want it out there and running consistently. Given that you will be away from the bike holiday week, it may make sense to overload a bit the week before the holiday. I’m not sure what your time constraints are but a volume focus may prove beneficial.

• Options

Year end hit quickly and as expected with the holidays, etc. time on bike suffered a bit. I managed to continue my run streak (2 months), but between packing and heading to Colorado for the holidays I only got a couple smaller rides in the last couple weeks of the month)

Run wise, I pretty much held the 40-45 mpw with nothing over 8 miles in distance. I did get in a few tempos, but will have to re-think running them with the dog, as its a bit harder to control speed, either too fast or slow. Did a week @ 8.5-9k elevation with some decent climbs/descents. Pace is starting to stabilize a bit in the low 7s, but was up to 2 min/mile slower at that elevation, sandy/snowy road conditions, etc. but the last couple runs I wasn't hurting as bad on the 1k ascents. Only issue /pain I have had was after getting back where legs were a bit sore off this in ankles/calf/hips, I am guessing between using trail running shoes, long hills, and lack of firm ground, I used some muscles that weren't used to it, but they are starting to come back around now and soreness was barely noticeable today.

Bike wise, I did okay the first 1/2 of the month, 2nd have was pretty miss. Planning on getting a few easier ones in prior to JanOS kicking off. I did notice it was a bit harder to hold some of the numbers I was at, at the end of the bike focus block, so need to get my mental game back on.

Strength I got in typically 2x a week. And weight loss stayed pretty flat for the month, so no complaints there, just need to kick it back up in the OS to knock out those last 10-15 lbs.

As to the BF OS, I was planning on targeting Lvl 2 on the bike and Lvl 3 on the run but will see if I need to back it down to a 2 as intensity picks up (would like to maintain 5-6 runs / week even if one is easy -> recovery run). Anything else you think I should focus on as I go into this years OS?

• Options

Thanks for the update! The only other thing that I would add is making sure you’re doing some of that baseline flexibility stuff. Sounds like without running on very terrain you could use a focus on mobility in the hips and ankles which is pretty simple to do once you create a habit. 10 minutes three times a week should be enough

I like the bike goals, but remember you have three phases of the out season to be successful. I’m not so worried about you hitting the numbers in the first four weeks if you are a good about building towards them in the second four weeks. Remember, just like a good work out, the stronger you are at the end of the out season, the greater your fitness will be overall.

• Options

Hey Coach P, Happy March. Looking back at my last post I see I skipped a month, but I'll keep it brief.

Jan - the niggling pain turned into a slight hamstring strain when the dog lurched me a direction on the run. I cut back run mileage and intensity for a week, then picked back up mileage at a pace just below any niggling ache of the hamstring, so missed a couple the harder hill workouts for easier runs @ the same mileage. After a couple weeks everything was back to normal on the run and I started adding back in intensity. No pain, etc. outside of occasionally noticing an ache that goes away as I continue to descend or settle into a faster pace. I added more flexibility and leg strengthening to my weekly routine to try to manage it and any imbalances and have been fine since. The good news was the pain in the ham had no impact to the bike so I continued on with it as written and started hanging better on C&C rides.

Feb - went fine on the run, picked back up on the intensity and z4 work has shifted to a comfortably hard 5:50-6:00 pace, so I know I have some gains here. Long runs of 1:30 are hitting around 13 miles, so I did want to double check if there is an upper limit in the OS on run distance on the long runs. Bike continues to push on, and I can feel the VO2 work, so hoping to see some small gains as like most the team my short duration power numbers are low. I did have a partial week where I was sick with a bug, but better now and continuing the OS as written, unless you think I should repeat a week vs testing (using wko4 for power estimates so not worried on the testing side).

In general I have kept up my run streak so now sitting @ 120+ days, averaging typically just above 40 mpw. Legs felt good for Feb/early March so no real issues outside of general stiffness after getting up in the morning. Weight loss has slowed, and only managed to drop a couple more pounds, getting closer to target may take adding swimming for me to drop the last little bit. Half marathon is scheduled for 4/6 so I should get a good gauge on run fitness then.

• Options

Thanks for catching me back up! Super pleased to hear your willingness to stand down on the run allow the hamstring to heal. Small decisions like that may seem insignificant at the time but they have important long-term impacts.

The fact that you can return to some of those faster zone four pieces is proof of that! I think you should The OS runs between 12 and 13 miles. One way you can make that happen is to choose a more challenging course or section for the middle of the runs. This will enable you to do more work within the constraints of mileage that I’ve given you.

There’s really no benefit to running much longer, and the additional run stress will eventually impact your ability to push the bike workouts which we also want. Looking forward to see what you can do with that half marathon. 👍

• Options
    edited April 7, 2019 12:49PM

Half marathon done, or at least pretty close to done, race ended up being .3 miles short. Official time was 1:18:44, I held back a bit since I didn't know if they were going to have us loop something else to cover that last .3 (race got changed late due to flooding).

Overall I wasn't sure what expect and ended up having a fast ex-college guy take us out, so pacing was a bit fast for the first 2 miles (6:05ish), and by then I knew he was legit and my HR was a bit high (162-164), so dropped pace down to 6:10-13 for the next 9 and held a HR at 160(avg power 320-325). I knew the course was potentially off at the turnaround, but went with it. The last mile had a bridge/river crossing with a decent hill, so HR increased / pace slowed down, but then I picked it back up on the downhill holding back a little to see if they added on. Once i saw they weren't going to route us a different way I picked it up some more. Based on pace, feel, and overall time, I would wager I should have been high 1:20 something if it would have been the full distance and its to bad too, as that would have been a decent PR.

So no complaints, or major issues, and pretty much validates 57 VDOT, and likely upper end of that closer to 58 and no Vaporflys ;)

As to the OS, seems to have gone good. Some gains over the work I did with bike focus in Oct, estimating ~7 watts based on last test, but its always though to tell when we bump up and then are supposed to hold the new numbers for 2x18+. Work did get crazy last week so didn't get much time in on bike, but have managed to hold on to run streak and have averaged 41 mpw running this OS (even hit 50 one week when we added in the mid week long run). But will say I was starting to drag the last couple weeks of OS.

No injuries, etc. to report I have kept up the stretching, leg weight routine, etc. and no further hamstring issues. Did have some pain in a calf, but moved to new shoes and it went away. Weight loss is very slow, holding still 8 or so lbs away from where I would like to be, hoping once I add in the swim that little extra bit will help put me over the top.

Next week is the last week of OS, so I will close it out with a race on Zwift, normal runs, etc. Then transition over to the 2 week swim camp then 6 week bike focus block, unless there is anything you want me to change/update in the plan. Registered and still planning to do 70.3 Boulder in Aug and IM FL in Nov.:

Let me know if you have any addition thoughts, changes, etc

• Options

I was following the recap in a group me. So impressed with your performance. Given how high your vita is and your average mileage I’m not surprised if the bike didn’t move very much. It’s possible that next year we might have to The run for 30 or 32 miles per week so your bike legs have more bandwidth. Just a thought. Overall I’m very pleased with your ass. You have absolutely earned some downtime and some camp and encourage you to put in some lower mile run weeks even if your run frequency remains high. This period is all about adding this woman and consolidating your winter fitness. It’s OK to take one step back so we can take several forward over the rest of your year!

The only other thing I would have ask you to consider is maybe putting some blood volume into your plan somewhere in June. A big bike weekend or perhaps bike week will do you good. Your van is already strong so could shift the importance to development on the bike. Let me know what you’re timing looks like and what you think.

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 3:53PM

Sounds fair, figured, the run streak while fun will likely need to come to an end at some point, or become a stupid easy couple miler, just to keep the dog happy. And I will agree, that I probably will need to ramp down on it a bit to focus on the ride next year.

Part of the issue I am running into now is based that based on time, I am pretty easily capping out a number of these runs at max distance today. Since 45 mins is normally a 10k+ (even hilly and with dog), and the speed/long run type workouts hit that 13 miles pretty easily even capping them by distance no matter what on a 6-7 day run week I tend to land on a 40+ mile week on a lvl 3 run plan. So I guess we'll need to get creative here since in general my workouts come down to 2x4, 2x6, 1x8, 1x13 = 41 mpw.

To the big bike week, that sounds good. Looking at the current schedule, I see my current plans have me on bike focus block through the 1st week of June. At which time I would start the HIM bike focus (Aug 3 - 70.3), so what is your recommendation here do I need, make it week 7, convert week 6 BF Block to this, or take a little downtime coming off that BF block and do it 1-2 week after.

Note: I am looking at HIM Boulder as more of a tune up for me, since I have been out of racing for a couple years and its not to far from family, so no major goals here but to put things together again, although sub 5 like when I last did it would be nice (conditions allowing). But I am saying this because I don't mind training over it, in support of building fitness and the kick the tires IM in Nov. As I still see this year as getting back into the swing of things, and then racing truly starts in 2020 and more importantly 2021 when I age up.

That being said I did have an additional question, that just popped in my mind as I was looking at the next couple weeks; if swim camp is the next couple weeks and then I go to bike focus block should I also be layering something like the OS Swim supplement over the bike focus block? Since a quick glance at the plan showed me it didn't have any swim volume.

• Options

@Patrick Hayden I hear you on the “fast so it’s 41 miles” piece. The bigger issue is that the miles aren’t required. So I want you to be willing to turn the 13-miler into 10, for example, if needed.

ideally the 40-ish miles has a low cost associated with it, so it’s mostly a non-issue.

I recommend that you turn Week 6 of your Bike Focus plan into a big bike week...that’s the easiest option!

yes it the OS swim supplement....and you’ll likely want to keep the long run in then 80 to 90 minute range as well

Ps you can taper into the Aug Half for the second half of that week...it’s just not a specific build and peak!

• Options
    edited May 17, 2019 7:18PM

Hey Coach, quick question. I saw the new Bike Focus plan was posted, and I am a couple weeks into the old one, so should I just stay the course on the old one which is more FTP based, swap over to the new one which looks to be a bit more VO2 max based, or do a blend?

Weekends I did try to do what was the West Coast C&C rides but also tossed in more VO2 to hit the plan for the minute on/off efforts so its really the Tues/Thurs that would be the change.

Doesn't really bother which one we go with since I can benefit from either, just thought I would check on your recommendation.

• Options

If you are OK with it, then I will suggest you make the switch. Not sure if that’s too complicated with swapping the workouts but I really do like the mid week sessions to stack up that VO2 time.

If you need some help with how to move those workouts around you can check out our health site for more information but hurting the final surge area: www.endurancenation.us/help

• Options

Thanks Coach, the change is pretty easy, I will just swap it and start the new workouts this week. One suggestion on the plan on FS, you say within to see the Coach Notes for intensity but I didn't see that anywhere in the notes. I did see it in your forum post, so you may want to add a note to the 1st week of the plan with that info, otherwise you may get a bunch of questions from folks who may not search the forums for it.

I'll report back after I close out the plan, pretty sure the VO2 work is going to be a bit challenging,

• Options

Great call thank you, I will update that. Please keep me posted on your progress.

• Options

Bike focus plan, and big bike week in are now complete. Relative to the bike focus weeks, I did two weeks of the old plan, then four of the new. For the new plan I found the 45 sec -1 minute intervals hard but doable, I managed to hit numbers at or above the 150%. However, I utterly failed to hold the power for the 3-5 min efforts (so probably a weak spot for me). Don't know if the short VO2 work, plus the tempo run, just were too much or if I just didn't mentally prepare enough. Weekend rides were fine.

As to the big bike week just wrapped that up, and over fives days ended up doing; 924 TSS, .74 IF, 17 hrs, 30k elevation gain, and 252 miles. Had hoped for a little more time on the front end, but it still ended up being about 3x normal everything since the beginning of the year, with most of it being the 4 horsemen route on Zwift. First three days weren't bad, went a little too hard on day four and suffered the last 1.5 hours of the ride after climbing Alp du Zwift. Slowed things down a tiny bit on Sunday and was better on the ride overall.

I did decide to shut down the run streak after the epic ride @ week 3 (could have done a couple miles, but thought it was it was time to start focusing on tris and 201 days was good enough). Run has been fine no issues, but probably need to start getting the longer run back inline with the half marathon I'll need to do in Aug.

HIM Boulder is now 6 weeks out and IM FL is 19 weeks out, so I put in the HIM plan in FS. Figure I will take it a little easy for the next few days post BBW then get back to business on the HIM plan. Anything special I should do around the HIM plan, etc., since I know you said I could just taper the last few days before the race? Any other thoughts?

• Options

@Patrick Hayden thanks for the update. I love that work that you did on the bike and appreciate that the plan was hard enough such that you couldn’t hit all of the intervals. Nothing wrong with that. It’s definitely a sign that you have been doing work and there is fatigue in your system. Next time around me might make some modifications but overall I am pleased especially since Florida is so far away.

Since there is a substantial gap between Boulder and Florida you have time to do a little more specific work for the 70.3. This first week I would swim a little bit more as you leave room for your body to recover. I would really like you to continue to challenge yourself on the bikes, and all three sessions. I’m not so worried about run speed across the week just run consistency in the form of a triathlon plan ( Tempo run, break run, long run, etc.). It is just a different rhythm. Pick one run a week to excel at, I would suggest that it’s the long run and that you work in having a strong finish in the last 20% to 25% of the run.

Our goal is to have you be able to bike at .83 to .85 IF At Boulder and then I have a steady run… Are you ready for the challenge?

• Options

Sounds like a plan, I will focus on the quality bike ride and getting my swims in (trying to squeeze them in over lunch on Mon/Fridays). For the run I will keep going with the consistency stick, I've been trying to still do 6-7 a week, with some being 2-4 milers just to shake out the legs. I will put my primary focus run as the long run, which this week will likely just be a long run, then I'll start tossing in the negative pace long runs.

I'll go under the presumption that I should cap those long runs at 13-14 miles vs the times given / use hillier terrain as necessary unless I hear otherwise.

I'll also check back in prior to HIM Boulder, on where things are, and plan for targeting .83-.85 for my bike race pace.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2019 12:20PM

Yes, as crazy as it sounds even at your level of an ability the run frequency makes a big difference. As we move towards Boulder, you can start to work in some of that race pace work on the bike to prepare you for what it will feel like.

One of my favorite “hacks“ is to do a hard bike after a long swim. Sometimes I do these on Fridays or Saturdays depending on my schedule but it helps me get used to biking At my desired effort coming off of the fatigue of the swim which is often the disconnect for most triathletes.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 8:49PM

Hey Coach, HIM Boulder in the books with decent results:

4:55:01 - 6/187 (40-44), 82/1278 (M), 103/2046 (Overall)

Swim – 40:08, T1 – 4:53, Bike – 2:28:08, T2 – 03:05, Run – 1:38:47

Lead up to the race was fine, although I think I piled a little too much intensity the final week of the build, between vo2 max run, FTP session, and long run back to back. Legs were shot, got a little sick, and had some bad leg cramps, even on an easy biking day after a few rest days. So backed off and was basically back to normal by Wed of taper week 1.

Taper weeks I did what i could, but had to get packed and family out to CO to visit family before the race, did manage a few runs, biking on trainer, and a swim while out there @ 8.5k elevation (always humbling).

Race went well, but I see a number of opportunities, some are admin, just cleaning up Transition work, better fueling on the bike (I got away with what I did on a 70.3, would not have been able to do that on a full). But I do still see a need for continued focus on the bike, I did good, probably the best I have on a bike, but I think I can still see a lot of gains here (time, power, etc.). I did manage to do .83 IF as you suggested if I reduced my power #'s by 10 watts to account for being in aero vs seated for the tests, training, etc. (goal was 205 NP hit 203).

I also need a bit more training time on the swim, since I was doing these over lunch, I was pretty much capping at 45 mins of whatever workout, that is only going to get me so far. For the run I was in the top 4 in my AG, so pretty solid, I just need to keep consistency here (although I do need to go out at some point and re-validate that that edge I think is there at a certain feeling is still correct, I'd hate to leave minutes out there because I wasn't willing to dig deep enough, in my strongest discipline).

For now I have loaded up the 2 week transition and plan to drop in the Full IM plan after that for IM Florida in November. From there it looks like we'll be rolling into an 2020 with IM St George -> 70.3 Worlds as the core races.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, focus areas for the next couple months?

• Options
    edited August 13, 2019 4:58PM

Thanks for this great post! My recommendations for you are as follows: 

1. Define one longer swim time per week so you can make a 1:15 session happen at least once. 

2. The bike fitness is great, but at IMFL it’s being aero that really matters not just strength. Send over some pics so we can advise you on getting more aero. 

3. We need one or two long rides for you in late August / Early Sept to kick start the aerobic work. These should be 6 hours (or a bit more) and done at a very easy pace. We are just stacking up the time…where can you schedule those in?

Run speed on race day isn’t just about any particular session; but you can use intensity to get ready for the race. What is your run goal at IMFL? We can map something out for you. 

Finally, we can’t forget nutrition. Map out the race plan and practice on every long ride between now and race day!

• Options
    1. Swim - Will do, just need to finagle some things logistically and cross my fingers that the majority of thunderstorms have burnt out for the year (last few times I tried for a longer one we had storms and they shutdown the pool as I was getting there or mid workout for the lightning)
    2. Aero - Yeah, I know that staying aero at IMFL starts to get a painful, I'll make sure to focus these longer rides staying aero. I'll also send over a pict/video, I owe Todd a new one at tribike fit, but was holding off until after HIM Boulder, so I had a month on the current setup. Note: not an issue for this year, but I'll be picking up a new bike at the end of the year, once Todd has me dialed in then we'll look at what ones are the best fit based on my numbers (but was targeting a Ventum if the fit is right)
    3. Long Rides - Sounds good, looking at schedules it looks like I had a challenge ride already on the docket at the end of August . As luck would have it, that appears to be Labor day weekend so I will have a bit more time, whats your thoughts on making that week a big bike week/weekend? This sits right at that ~9 weeks till race, which looks about right , and the plan then has a camp week @ the end of September.
    4. Nutrition - I'll practice this, I have an outline of a plan, been trying to stick with it for nutrition/hydration just need to focus on it, since I tend to delay eating/drinking for smallest of reasons (climbing, descending, etc.)

• Options

All of this sounds good...you know where I am at for feedback!

~ Coach P