Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Patrick Hayden 2019 Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

Hey coach, its been a month and I am back in the full swing of things. I partially did a big bike week, but think I over cooked it early on, and decided to dial back the time on bike, after a really abysmal ride on the Sunday of Labor day weekend, where I just couldn't hold much power.

Swims are currently on target, and I have been working to make sure my endurance workout has the full time. Had a slight hiccup in the beginning of IM training with the pool being closed for cleaning, but going well now, and had a good one today.

Bike, I am feeling pretty good on, but I am going to have to start watching pacing to dial in IM feel, which I don't have yet. I tend to go a bit harder on most of the weekend rides as of late with many of them at .82-.85 IF for the 4.5 hrs+. Been trying to stay mainly aero, but may need to drive 30 mins if I want to find a flat course that simulates IMFL, but problem is no place to stash the bike to brick if I do this. So I'll need to see what I can do on those/what makes sense. I also still owe you some images/videos on bike fit, and its on my to do list.

Run is the run for me, trying to be consistent at 6-7 days a week running. I ended up combining most of the split long runs early on, but did do them for the last one. Last week I hit about 50 mpw with the split long run, I presume I should try to cap around there mileage wise (including run focus weeks)? Mile repeats I am playing by ear, since I often do them in the early evening in the heat and humidity, so not to cook the rest of the weeks workouts (been doing 2-3). I know for the half you had me cut back on these to focus on the bike, should I do the same here? I don't have any issues with doing a midweek middle-long run if that is better, so far its not impacting the SST rides, and I only see two more on the calendar.

No pain or injuries, but feeling a little fatigue this week, as I continue ramp back up the CTL & ATL.

Looking at the calendar I see race rehearsal coming up, whats your thoughts on target IF, with it being IMFL I was thinking .73-.74, which seems like it should be within reach, based on my 2:28 at HIM Boulder? That would align with the 5:15 - 5:30 guidance on the site.

As far as your question on target run goal at FL, I did 3:26 years ago at CDA, at which time I was doing less miles and consistency but pace was pretty much where I am right now (I'm sitting at 1350 miles /year for 2019 and low 7/high 6 min miles in cooler weather /7:20 in the upper 80s-90s ). So if I had to take a swag, figure target a 3:25-3:20 marathon, aka around 7:40 pace (w/o heat factored in)? Might be a bit aggressive but I am open to thoughts.

One last question, since I will be finishing up IMFL and probably be next thing to instantly going into the OS for IMSG training, should I just request my 2020 training plan now, or hold until closer/after the race? Looking at the calendar its appearing that Nov OS is probably what I should be targeting for the race, which will start right when I finish IMFL.

• Options

Great to hear from you. Working backwards, don’t submit your races for me until you’re done with this one so we can make a true plan based off of your race experience. Given the fact that you are experiencing some fatigue, I do not wanna make any modifications to the basic week that you were following other than to katherine Miles. Let’s take it back down closer to 40 miles per week before you start tapering. The work on the run is done for you, and it takes a while to shut that fatigue. That will allow you to keep running fast without all of the cumulative stress. Great to hear from you. Working backwards, don’t submit your races for me until you’re done with this one so we can make a true plan based off of your race experience.

Given the fact that you are experiencing some fatigue, I do not wanna make any modifications to the basic week that you were following other than to The run miles. Let’s take it back down closer to 40 miles per week before you start tapering. The work on the run is done for you, and it takes a while to shed that fatigue. That will allow you to keep running fast without all of the cumulative stress.

Target AF for Florida is 20 minutes to settle in and then .74 for 2 1/2 hours.

then .72 for an hour and finish up .7 staying super aero. In other words, get the speed while it’s still cool and conditions are in your favor.

I recommend this descending approach because you have a great run in your arsenal and we want to use it. I don’t have any paces for you on the run other than that for 6 miles at your bike heart rate then you can do your thing. Remember we want to eat and drink during those first 6 miles to set yourself up for the end.

• Options

Well IM FL is in the books, I'll post a full race report in the next couple days. Overall 10:31 race, so beat my 10:55 from IM CDA by a fair margin.

Swim - 1:22: was avg at best (about as expected), but I can't expect a huge amount here, since I missed a number of workouts toward the end with pool shutdowns/work conflicts.

Bike - 5:26: Power numbers were lower then I went in planning to do, by about 10-15 watts but with cold, etc. I I used HR to gauge work, for what felt right my HR IF was in the .70-.74 range. It was cooler then expected which worked out somewhat to my advantage, felt it much of the way out, but outside of wearing gloves which made getting my solid nutrition tough, I was able to gain some free speed on the way back. I did manage the liquids much better then the last HIM and downed several more bottles of Gatorade on course, aiming for one every aid station, think I took in 7 bottles, 2 picky bars, 1 cliff bar, and a banana plus some scratch I had on the bike. I did manage to stay aero most the course outside of some targeted sitting up to stretch, etc. on some of the minor hills.

Run - 3:28: I just tried to get HR to hold below 145 to begin with then tried to keep everything in the 141-145 range for the rest of the run. First half marathon just felt like I was shuffling as I ran all the aid stations, while grabbing nutrition as needed, until I started chafing near the end of it, stopped at special needs and grabbed some chamois cream from my bag then ran/walked about 2/3s of the remaining aid stations. Had a a few muscle twinges of potential cramps on the run but between pace, nutrition, and some pickle juice nothing flared up. Legs were tired and sore, but never felt like I really pushed it here and last mile when I didn't hit the aid stations was same pace as the average of the 1st thirteen, 7:40 pace. I cant say I would have held that the whole time, but I was just sore not ever in a really bad place.

Overall I can't complain to much on the results for a come back year after a couple years off. A bit sore the last couple days, but nothing horrible.

So now I am taking it easy and submitted my calendar for next year. Since I am doing IM SG, I figured you will probably drop me back into the NovOS, just a couple weeks behind.

I did have a few questions that I thought I would get your input on.

1. The lull between IM SG in May and HIM Worlds @ Thanksgiving feels like a pretty long without a race or something to target, any worries here? Should I look at maybe a few local sprints for speed work leading into 70.3 worlds?
    2. Based on my performance I still think my biggest area for gains is bike, but that being said should I try to target more swim training in the OS? Guessing you will tell me to not worry too much on the run atm.
    3. I had originally planned to getting a new bike as my 2011 CD0.1 is really starting to reach end of life w/o me replacing the whole groupset and I had issues at some bike shops having trouble running the cabling internally. But I am wondering if I should hold off and get a Vasa instead so I can better ensure I get my swim workouts in. Thoughts?

If I don't hear from you in the next week with the 100+ plans etc your are responding to, I will just plan to do a week of recovery, then start into the NovOS to start mirroring the other folks IM SG foks. With the initial intent to just run a few weeks behind them, as I figure it will line up relatively close/I may just need to add some volume towards the end of the OS as I swap over to the IM plan for SG.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20
    •  Ironman 70.3 Word Championship Taupo (2020-11-28) #70.3Taupo_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 08, 2019
    • On 11/4/2019  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  3/8/2020

>Transition Early<

• On 2/10/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  6/1/2020
    • On 6/2/2020  Load the  -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  8/10/2020
    • On 8/11/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on  11/28/2020
    • On 11/29/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  12/12/2020
    • On 12/13/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/9/2021

Your Notes

Just finished IM FL @ 10:30 (1:20, 5:25, 3:28) and HIM Boulder 4:55. Run fitness is good 96 DPI @ both, bike is decent 92-95 DPI, and swim is my weakness, but better then the last few years I did racesRun fitness is good, bike is decent, was fairly consistent, but had a few small pockets with of inconsistency with mechanical issues, life, etc. Swim I did well for a while, but then had a streak of gym closing pool for various issues which limited time.

Open to thoughts on if I should add something to the season between IM SG and HIM Worlds

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach, the plan makes sense. I've already loaded it up and will start following it moving forward. Only questions I had were those in the note prior to your 2020 training plan. Aka, thoughts on more swim training, if I should toss some sprint, etc. races between IM SG and 70.3 Taupo (seems like a long time between), and equipment advise.

• Options

That sounds excellent. Yes, you will definitely need to make some of the training in the middle of your year. Not just because of the long break, but because the level of competition in New Zealand is legit. There will be some seriously fast swim times. In other words, the separation happens very quickly at the world level.

So a function of the changes you make will be based on your decisions about just how competitive you want to be. I would generally recommend transitioning to some shorter faster work, especially on the swim and the bike. If that means doing some sprint races, so be it.

In terms of gear, I'm not sure what the course will be. Usually they change it from the standard 70.3 course when worlds comes to town. That said, I am aware from working with your teammates that the road quality is generally chip seal.

Another was, nice wide tires like 28 mm at a lower pressure in brand-new arrow bar pads will make a big difference! Whenever you're ready to write down some ideas around goals for that race, we can dive in a little deeper. Sounds good?

• Options

As far as goals go, IM St George is a redo race to try for better times, challenge myself, etc. on the IMSG course after a really tough 2012 race there (with the winds, etc.). I partially picked it because I also wanted to try to use it to practice racing a bit more competitively prior to aging up the following year (aka 2021). I don't have any specific time targets here, since I haven't fully looked at what this years course will be like, but from what I have heard it may not be as tough as the 2012 full course.

That being said, had I known I would qualify for 70.3 worlds I would probably have picked a different race to focus on 70.3s this year. As far as goals for 70.3 Worlds... pie in the sky... somewhere in the 4:30s dependent on conditions.

Swim - 35:00 (my best so far has been a 37:20).

• I am thinking the best way to hit this is getting a Vasa thoughts?
    • My local pool doesn't have a masters program or tri swim group and I would have to check around to see if I could find anyone local for swim analysis/coaching

Bike - <2:20 (2:28 @ HIM Boulder)

• Race went well at Boulder but I am sure I can skim more time off of the bike, both through fitness and weight loss
    • Bike wise my 2011 QR CD 0.1, is getting near end of life (shifting is poor and need to replace much of the groupo to fix, internal routing not easy to pull cables through, only supports 23mm rims/tires). So I had looked at potentially replacing, but need to send Todd my most recent bike fit video to see if we are ready to pull the coordinates/geometry and see what bikes best fit me. Thoughts on this vs the Vasa, original plan was bike this year to get a year on it to dial in fit prior to age up.

Run - <1:30

• quiet sure I can pull a sub 1:30 on a normal course, assuming decent weather.
    • Haven't used any of the 4%, Ne%t, etc. shoes either

The other piece of this is Body Comp, I'll need to track that a bit closer. My weight shifted up a bit when I went to Tri specific workouts vs where I was with mainly running and some rides tossed in, need to drop back down and get leaner.

• Options

IMSG is tight timeline to get a new bike and get comfy on it with minimal outdoor stuff. Yes, a new bike Is a great step change for you and will help the run (and overall performance) but at The same time I am not 100% sure Will give you enough time.

• From a speed perspective a new bike will improve you overall, no doubt.
    • From a $$ perspective the vasa is cheaper, but it will only save you a few minutes, not a swath of time.
    • From a time perspective it would be easier to add in a VASA in the winter than a new bike (we ride less now than in the summer months).

I personally would get the new bike...but I can see it both ways.

I see you saying IMSG is really a build towards the 70.3™ Worlds and a 2021 Age Up race window...so my recommendations are:

• Start the body comp stuff / focus now. Baby steps but get some goals out there and a process in place. Help here.
    • Email Todd and start the conversation. What does a better bike look like and you can plan for it.
    • Let's start getting you on the bike. New or old, early season volume is critical and you can benefit from putting your "bonus" time into steady state riding on Le Zwift or wherever you are.

Thoughts?

~ Coach P

• Options

I'm sure your flooded with season changes, but looks like I'm one of them with IM STG being postponed. So for me that means 70.3 worlds is my only A race of the year with CDA being what I deferred to. So for now I pulled out of the IM plan and swapped over to the OS, since I was a bit sporadic on it and the pools are closed. Let me know your thoughts for a revised season plan.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2020 6:10PM

@Patrick Hayden - hey man, no worries whatsoever. This is part of what I do, and is actually very calming for me in contrast to the craziness of what's going on in the world out there. So thank you for the chance to offer my input.

Here is what I am thinking for you Will we have a season that is especially focused on that end of Season race. If we learned anything collectively from world last year, it was that the bike is the deciding factor in the race. In many ways, people rode the bike as though it were the only part of the race, and then suffered through the rest. As such, I would like you to do the bIke focused out season program, and plan on doing the first four weeks of the bike focus plan before you roll over to the rest of the training.

If you have the opportunity to work in a larger volume block in the July or August time frame, that would most likely pay off for you. Let me know what you're thinking and if you need any help loading these plans.

Updated: 04/06/2020

• On 3/23/2020 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the    Swim Camp (Alternative Plan)  to end on 7/12/2020
    • On 7/13/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/10/2020 Load the    EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 9/6/2020
    • On 9/7/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/20/2020
    • On 9/21/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused, 12wks to end on 11/29/2020
    • On 11/30/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/27/2020
    • On 12/28/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/24/2021
    • On 1/25/2021 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/21/2021 

• Options

Thanks Coach, just one piece of clarification, should the plan be Half Prep -> Half Plan -> Post Half? Looks like it goes from prep to post and may be missing the actual half plan.

• Options

@Patrick Hayden - hey man, sorry for the mixup! I actually forgot to load the training plan for you to prepare for the race! I am clearly losing it. Thank you for actually reading through the plan in detail and letting me know before we set you off on the wrong course. I'm pretty sure you would've figured it out, but still. I hope all is well it has been fixed for you above.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is:

• 70.3 Worlds Sept 18 2021

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is:

• IM CDA June 2021

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 11/06/2020

• On 10/5/2020  Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/1/2020  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/29/2020 28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/30/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/27/2020 35 [  5  weeks  ]
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  91 [  13 weeks  ]
    • On 4/5/2021  Load the  Exit Early, Skip Test Week to end on  #N/A  0  [  0  weeks  ]
    • On 4/5/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  6/27/2021  84 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 6/28/2021  Load the  Post Half Iron Transition Plan All Levels (2wks)  to end on  7/11/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 7/12/2021  Load the  EN Half Run Focused (12wks) to end on  9/18/2021  69 [  10 weeks  ]
    • On 9/19/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/16/2021 28 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: 10 IM, multiple 70.3. qualified for IM 70.3 worlds 2020

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Growth in at Least One Area

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Continue to improve overall performance

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Bike Strength

Anything Else We Should Know?  Took a bit of a break the last couple months with a number of projects kicking off at work, so running back through durability program atm

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P