Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jennifer Eckert 2019 Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

As we get back into "regular" training, we need to be SUPER CAREFUL! 🚨

The last thing we want is to push you into a bad place. I have set up the Run Durability Program for the first three months, and this will include your 10k and "most" of your build to the Half. I want you to record all your sessions (Garmin?) and set it up to sync with Final Surge (here: https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync). This will help me to see what other work you have baked in (self care) as well as your other "regular" schedule.

Our goal here is to have you build up some baseline running health before we push to the Half distance -- and beyond to the HIM!

Your Races

• 11/22/2018; Run to Feed the Hungry 10k
  • 02/03/2019 Kaiser Womens 1/2 Marathon in SF
  • 06/1-2/2019; Auburn Worlds Toughest Half

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 1, 2018

• On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018\
  • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018
  • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2018
  • On 1/7/2019 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/14/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the Beginner EN*Half Run Fccused to end on 6/2/2019
  • On 6/3/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/16/2019

Your Notes

6x IM finisher..IM Florida 2006; IM CDA 2008; IM Canada (Penticton) 2009; IM Arizona 2011; IM Tahoe (DNF/crash)2013; IMMT 2016 Kona qualifier; IM World Championships 2016.

My fitness is okay. I had a wierd injury to my back in January of 2017 and am able to bike 40, run 6 and I just started swimming again. Low yardage with drills. Trying to bike and run 3 days a week and swim 2 days a week all while keeping my core strong to protect my back. 

Based on the levels below I'm a beginner...but I'm not really a beginner. I've done a 13:30 IM but I was a bit younger then!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hi Patrick,

In answer to your questions..2018 would be a success if I can get through the run durability plan and continue biking and swimming a bit without losing ground on my back. It is the biggest limiter right now. I am working with my physical therapist, and we are targeting my imbalances in back strength. My right side is stronger than my left. I am also going to try Acupunture. Spoke with the her today and she says there is a protocol for my type of situation...so I'm excited to see how it works out. I did my first workout today and feel pretty good. I kind of guessed on zone 4 as I don't have any zones set up yet. Should I do any testing or just use the ones from November 2015?? I think they would be similar to what I could produce today.

I have a phone call with Brenda tomorrow morning! Fun to be back...Thanks!

• Options

@Jennifer Eckert

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    • Swim Fitness: 2
    • Bike Fitness: 1-2
    • Run Fitness: 2
    • Weight / Body Composition: 1-2

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? Running consistently and not having increased back issues
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Nothing yet...bike in future
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• Options

Any changes for you on the bike fit in terms of speed, power or comfort? Just curious.

I am pleased to hear about the running, let’s continue to be cautious.

• Options

Hi Patrick,

Yes, my road bike is more comfortable. I have less stiffness afterwards. As far as speed, about the same. No power meter on the road bike. I rode my Mtn bike this weekend and felt pretty decent afterwards.

thanks for checking!

• Options

That is great news! I definitely recommend Mohr mountain biking on the weekends as long as the weather cooperates!

• Options

@Jennifer Eckert

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Hi Coach P,

• I have a question regarding my season road map. It says to add...On 3/18/2019 Load the Beginner EN*Half Run Fccused to end on 6/2/2019

I'm not quite sure what plan that is. In looking at the plans there is a Half Marathon Beginner Plan under the "running" section. Then there is a Run Focused Plan under the "tri" section. If the plan is to start on 3/18 and end on 6/2 that's about 11 weeks and the Run Focused plan is just 6 weeks. There is nothing under the tri section alluding to "half".

I also had to take a week off due to dental surgery on the 20th (molar pulled, bone implant). Per doc I can start back as tolerated. (no throbbing etc.; I still have stitches in) I was able to do a spin class today but took it easier than normal. I'm sure the rest did me no harm.

My next race is a half marathon on 5/5 and then the Victoria Half IM on June 2. I may try to squeeze in a road 5 k around testing time.

Hope all is well on your end. We are still soggy and wet out here and I'm sure you guys are in white!!

Looking forward to your response. Thanks!

• Options

Sorry for the confusion. “N half“ means the half Iron Man. Since the date I said it to you when does the same date you have for a half Iron Man… That’s what I mean! 😂

Sorry to hear about the surgery, I hope the pain goes away soon. Don’t be afraid to take some Tylenol. I hate dental pain.

• Options
    ???not quite sure what you mean by this...

Since the date I said it to you when does the same date you have for a half Iron Man

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

It means you’re supposed to choose the half iron plan from the training plan section.

• Options

Hi Coach P;

Next week of the Half Iron Plan is a test week. I just tested the week of March 10th. Should I test again?

If not, what should I do in place of the bike test? Intervals??

BTW....that 3000 yard continuous swim was a bugger!! Especially after not having done more than 2500 yards total. The weird thing...it wasn't much slower than my IM time!

Hope all is well at your end..

Jenn

• Options

Nice work! Yes, there is no need to test. Instead, you can do 2 x 1 mile on the run and 2 x 15 minutes at threshold on the bike! Have a great weekend.

• Options

Hi Coach P...Welcome back...looks like everyone had a great time in Spain, and I really enjoyed the pictures!!

This weekend is the double bike day/race rehearsal, with a 1.50 run on Sunday. My 1/2 Marathon is the following Sunday 5/5. Should I switch anything up leading into that or treat it as just another training day. I'm not going for any "time" goal. Just want to get in the distance. Also I will be traveling to the race on Saturday and returning home on Monday.

Thanks!

• Options

@Jennifer Eckert no changes whatsoever! This is where we start to build the volume, so feel free to reduce the training a little bit during the week to make sure you absorb what you’re doing on the weekends. It should only be about one or two weeks of caution so that you get on track and we can build fearlessly from there! 👍

• Options

Hey Coach P;

Next up is my race in Big Sky, Montana...."The Rut". Doing an 11k, it starts at 7,000 feet and gains 1600 feet. I was looking at plans and thought the "trail Run-vertical-8 week plan would be the one. Thoughts?

I'd also like to hop into a local run in Idaho (6500 elev) for Fourth of July. (leaving for there on 18th); Thinking the 10k, although they have a 5k and a 1/2. Your advice on this would be appreciated as well.

Victoria was really beautiful! Fun meeting some team mates. I'm very happy with my result considering it was my first race in 2 1/2 years!! Overcame some stomach problems on run to finish in 3rd and brought home some bling!!

Hope you are having some summer back there...I'm already tired of our 104!!

Jenn

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 12:41PM

Jenn - your result looks great, really pleased with how steady you were especially on the comeback trail.

https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/

I agree 100% I like the idea of you doing that vertical plan, we just have to be careful of your hamstrings as sometimes they get angry with all of the elevation.

I am OK with the 10K race, but we still want you to pacer properly by building at the start. Success is negative splitting these runs even things like a 10K. Does that make sense?

• Options

Coach, yes building at the start makes total sense. Should be easy to do as it starts with a very, very gradual rise after about 1/2 mile that lasts for about 1- 1 1/2 miles. Will be doing Mtn biking all summer too! Leaving Tri bike home!

thanks for the advice!

Jenn

• Options

That’s perfect. Don’t forget to send us some pictures of you on the mountain bike! #Jealous

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Coach P!

my plan refers to walking intervals on a steep hill. What would you consider a steep hill? I have various grades in my area. I don’t want to wuss out and do less!!!

also, if I want to keep up my Mtn biking what suggestions do you have as to where I could fit it in? The attached photo is where the hubby and I want to get! Two Top Mtn!!!

Thank you!! Jenn

• Options

I think anywhere from an 8 to 10% grade is perfect. Consider it your chance to do some neat hiking or explore some other neighborhoods. What we’re really trying to do is get you in the motion of working off the ball of your foot and activating those glutes. It’s amazing what an incline can do for your functional strength even if you aren’t running. That bike route looks amazing!

Every other weekend you can swap out a run for a nice long ride. If you plan on doing something more leisurely, then it could be an active recovery session that you do during the week. While it’s not possible to get the same specificity of work on the mountain bike that you’re seeking for race day, there are still benefits to staying active, having fun, and getting better at Cycling on a mountain bike.

Feel free to slide it in on the days that work for your schedule And let me know, I can come behind you and take a look and see what I think.

• Options

Great..forgot one other ?.

there is a 1/2 marathon on 7/20. Schedule calls for a 3 hr hike that day which is probably what most of the 13.1 will be for me as it starts at 9300 feet and ends at about 8400. I’ve been living at 6500 for 3 weeks. Yay or nay?

• Options

Go for it, and you can replace the hike with that. My apologies for not keeping track of all those events! The goal here is to be strong in the last 3 miles so do the pacing accordingly so we can make sure that you finish strong instead of cracking. And be sure to hydrate afterwards, working out at that level of altitude is secretly strenuous.

• Options

Sweet! No problem on keeping track! It is a last minute race/hike idea. The 4th of July 10k I was gonna do was cancelled, so I did my own on the course. Have a great week!

• Options

Had to share a shot from the 1/2 marathon/hike I did Saturday. It...was...hard! But a blast and beautiful. I took Sunday and Monday off as legs were really sore from sonic the few long downhills. Did do my hill walk intervals yesterday and swapped out the 7 mile run today for a 2 1/2 hr Mtn bike. Legs feeling better! Back on schedule tomorrow! Enjoy Lake Placid!

• Options

OMG that is gorgeous! Do you have some “thing“ where you can only train a race in beautiful conditions? I’m starting to develop a little bit of a jealousy thing here… 😮

• Options

Ha!! It helps that I live in NE Idaho during the summer. 20 miles west of Yellowstone. The Gravelys are spectacular. But there is beauty all around up here!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 11/28/2019 Run to Feed the Hungry 10k
    • possible 10k trail run in March
    • Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa (2020-05-09) #70.3SR_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on November 07, 2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  02/02/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the Swim Camp  to end on  2/16/2020
    • On 2/10/2020  Load the EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  5/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2020  Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  05/24/2020

Your Notes

IMFlorida 11/2006; 14:00:21 (10th AG) IMCDA 6/2008; 14:10:06 (4th AG) IM Canada 8/2009 14:32:14 (9th AG)

IMAZ 11/2011 13:33:38 (5th AG) IMLT 9/2013 - DNF/Crash - broken collar bone IMMT 8/2016; 14:30:44 (1st AG)

Kona 10/2016; 15:19:28 (18th AG)

2019: Avenue of the Giants 1/2 Marathon 5/2019; Victoria 70.3, 6/2/2019 (3rd); Madison 1/2 Marathon; 7/19 (elevation up to 9600 feet); The Rut 11K; 9/2/19; Granite Head Ales & Trails, 6.6 miles; 10/12/19 (2nd)

Biking 2-3 x's per week; running 3x's week; strength 2 x's per week

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey Coach P!

Thanks for the help in getting into the FORUMS!! Watched Town Hall...good info and it made me realize I needed to write for some guidance.

I completed my 70.3 training plan for the cancelled Santa Rosa and did my own version 56 bike/13.1 run on May 6th. Wasn't thrilled with my performance but was happy I completed my goal...or somewhat!

I'm signed up for THE RUT (11K mtn run) in September. They have still not cancelled. I did it last year and followed the 7 week mtn run plan which worked out well. So If the race is still on, I would start that in July.

I'm interested in keeping up my fitness from now til then...(and beyond September). I've been running 3 days per week, biking (road and mtn) a couple of days a week. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep my distance up in both the run and the bike.

The future is kind of a crap shoot for me as far a IM goes. I have he "desire" to do another (IM CALIF in Oct 2021, cause its in my backyard!) but don't know if my body will cooperate...so I'd like to keep things going so I can make a more educated decision.

Thanks.....stay well!!